Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

choobs posted:

Yeah, my company uses Juniper's Pulse. The apps for those are free but the "servers" require thousands or tens of thousands of dollars worth of hardware and software.

Yeah if you're looking to set up a server from scratch I've heard OpenVPN is the 'easier' one out of the options, though I've never attempted to setup an OpenVPN server. I don't think there's any nice package where you can just download, install, and click "Start" to start up a server. They all require some documentation reading and configuration.

I recently setup an IPSec/L2TP VPN on a VPS I have. It works great for both my iPhone and Windows computer but it took some tutorials and some reading to figure out how to configure it all. The nice thing about L2TP is that it's supported natively by most operating systems. OpenVPN requires a separate client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

maduin posted:

The Apple blogs are all going crazy about Vesper, a new notes app by Dave Wiskus, Brent Simmons, and John Gruber.

It's actually really clean and well-designed. It won't replace Evernote, but it looks great for taking quick notes.

The Apple blogs are very incestuous. Half the people have podcasts with half the other people as guests. Most of the people writing reviews were in the private beta. It means I don't really end up trusting the reviews to be very impartial since no one wants to offend their friends.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It's a very well-done app, and I think their philosophy of starting with something simple and extremely polished and (presumably) building on it over time is admirable. I don't think there is really any problem with the app itself, especially since it's a version 1.0 app, but the level of coverage it's gotten is a little ridiculous and it surely wouldn't have gotten so much attention if anyone else had built it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Notes apps and to-do lists are just the laziest "startup's first app".

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
The lack of a built-in sync option makes Vesper unusable for me. You could launch that way when the App Store was new, but I have five different text editors on my phone and iPad right now all syncing the same several hundred text files.

It's a very mature market and their solution requires you to stick all your notes in a silo on your phone. They're cool developers so I'm sure it'll improve, but I do think their celebrity let them release version 0.7 as their 1.0.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Took 7xkm9lj4x4ee, thanks.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I got the top one, thank you.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What's a good app for sending SMS/MMS from my iPod to a cell phone?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the "iPhone" app is a good solid choice

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Google Voice might. I'm not sure. You'll probably be paying for the privilege no matter which app you get :\

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Google voice doesn't do MMS.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What does? The iPhone doesn't natively, does it?

And if it does, can it embed MIDI files? Because that is kinda the only value in MMS

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

echinopsis posted:

What does? The iPhone doesn't natively, does it?

Since iOS 3, yes. Don't think it handles MIDI files properly though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
How do I created MMS

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I use, and love, Sunrise Calendar on my iPhone. It's not out for iPad, though. Is there a good equivalent to Sunrise with similar features that looks as good that is for iPad?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WWDC thread is up and will be opened in the morning, if you want to bookmark it now.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Get your hipster-text-on-a-photo fix.

http://codehookup.com/a4e19495 all gone

*US iTunes Accounts only

Kruxy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 10, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

echinopsis posted:

How do I created MMS

If you send a non-iMessage message to multiple people, or longer than 160 characters, or include a picture/vcard/attachment then it will send a MMS.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks for including the NZ time. I would have hated to feel left out

~Coxy posted:

If you send a non-iMessage message to multiple people, or longer than 160 characters, or include a picture/vcard/attachment then it will send a MMS.

Hmm I don't know if I believe you but I will.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

~Coxy posted:

Messages longer than 160 characters just get sent as multiple messages.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think if you use the subject line it also turns it into an MMS.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Which alarm clock app would you guys recommend? I don't really need it to do a lot more than Apple's own, but I hate the fact that you can't turn off vibration - I just want to hear some calming tune of my own choice.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm pretty sure antynon-Apple alarm
App has to be running/active when you sleep the screen, making all of them inferior.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I use iHandy's Alarm Clock app. It can play sounds or iTunes songs (without vibration) and can fade them in gradually. Note that, like any third-party alarm clock app, it has to actually be running to work.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What's a great app for word processing for the iPad?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Pages

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Polaris Office supports headers, if that's important to you. That's what I use and I have no complaints about it. Lots of features and even salvages your work for you in case of a crash or whatever. I never used Pages but it does look good and I would get it if it supported headers and footers. Quick Office looks nice too with lots of features but again, no support for headers.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

withak posted:

I use iHandy's Alarm Clock app. It can play sounds or iTunes songs (without vibration) and can fade them in gradually. Note that, like any third-party alarm clock app, it has to actually be running to work.

iTunes says it's 99 cents, but the reviews are a little worrying. I've been screwed by faulty alarm programs before... :(

bort
Mar 13, 2003

iHandy has rung for me even when I've forgotten to keep it in front and let the phone lock. It just does the default horrible alert noise.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If you're jailbroken, multitasking apps like Backgrounder or Quasar make all apps act like they're in front which is great for alarm apps. You still need to have them open though. I've heard that some work closed/from the background through the location services?

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

bort posted:

iHandy has rung for me even when I've forgotten to keep it in front and let the phone lock. It just does the default horrible alert noise.

Yeah I would swear I snoozed and then went back to the home screen a few mornings ago running Uniqlo and the alarm still went off. I didn't figure it would and was kind of hoping it wouldn't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does anyone know a simple app that can sync Outlook/Exchange notes? There are a bunch on Android, but someone asked me about one for iOS and I don't actually have an iOS device to check it out on.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Does anyone know a simple app that can sync Outlook/Exchange notes? There are a bunch on Android, but someone asked me about one for iOS and I don't actually have an iOS device to check it out on.

I don't use it, but can't the default notes app do this?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not exactly. It uses IMAP and works by sending emails, not real notes.

I downloaded iTunes to look, and it seems there's only about 3 apps that do it and they all have terrible reviews. I guess I'll have to get my hands on someone's phone to test them out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It creates a folder on the mail server and stores the notes as email messages there.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

KitCam and Photoforge2 have been killed and removed from the App Store, with only a moment's notice. A pretty lovely end to two of the best photography apps for iOS.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

hypersleep posted:

KitCam and Photoforge2 have been killed and removed from the App Store, with only a moment's notice. A pretty lovely end to two of the best photography apps for iOS.

What the...I was gonna buy KitCam.

mewse
May 2, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

What the...I was gonna buy KitCam.

The free market has decided not to supply your demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

hypersleep posted:

Marissa is on a tear! I hope they integrate into the new Flickr.

• Locked thread