Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Krad posted:

Hold down? :shobon:

We have to be able to attack you at some point!

I think what I'll try next is to just always hold forward and calmly walk towards you and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If you block Scorpion's regular teleport, he is incredibly vulnerable to be punished.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
See, jmcrofts figured it out, you just have to be kinda patient and not panic.

Also screw Bane's armor. :mad:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
You both left me. I am pretty much in infinite salt mode.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

gannyGrabber posted:

I think what I'll try next is to just always hold forward and calmly walk towards you and see what happens.

This is actually a pretty solid idea against Scorp in the full screen to mid-range game. Spear is slow so you can react to it and Hellfire is super slow so you can jump it and then continue to approach.

Also, holding down and being patient at long range is still not a bad idea. If you make Scorpion make the first move at that range, be it a dash, a jump, a teleport, Hellfire, whatever, you can see it and have time to react accordingly where you don't have to be afraid of the teleport.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

gannyGrabber posted:

You both left me. I am pretty much in infinite salt mode.

The grief was too much to bear. And I forgot you couldn't switch characters between battles.

edit:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Dammit, Krad's Batman got me again.

SN, your Lantern is great, the only thing missing there is the plethora of nasty resets he has. If you can master those, you'll be 10 times better.

Krad fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 9, 2013

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

gannyGrabber posted:

There is just no way to block that tele on reaction, which means it is never safe to hold back, which means that once he's in range for his j3 which has incredibly high hit priority and a giant sweeping hitbox you are just screwed. I don't even know what to believe in anymore.

Playing against Scorpion really does require a unique plan of attack.

I'm working on my max damage punish for when I do successfully block a telepunch. This way it becomes a huge risk for Scorpion to throw them out mindlessly and most ranked match Scorpions don't figure this out until after they're behind on life and I've converted 1 or 2 of them into a nice life lead. Then the ground flames come out.

If I don't predict right and fail to jump over and punish a ground flame, I'll gladly go ahead and eat three or four of them over one telepunch.

gannyGrabber posted:

This too. This also works fantastically.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Scorp Teleport is easily punishable by characters that can do full punishes on airborne opponents (e.g. Green Lantern, maybe Catwoman with MB Cat Dash, Batman with juggle into EX Grapple, etc.). However, it also becomes grounded and still vulnerable near the end of its recovery, but at that point you're taking a risk of mistiming and having your punish blocked.

Krad posted:

SN, your Lantern is great, the only thing missing there is the plethora of nasty resets he has. If you can master those, you'll be 10 times better.

I do the Turbine ender into more wakeup pressure, but I'm not a fan of the other resets like dashing under after MB Lift and going for f3 or b1 because you're giving up much more damage for that chance in those cases.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I do the Turbine ender into more wakeup pressure, but I'm not a fan of the other resets like dashing under after MB Lift and going for f3 or b1 because you're giving up much more damage for that chance in those cases.

Too bad, because I find those things much more intimidating and frustrating to fight against. I'm not saying they should be done all the time of course, but mixing it up here and there does help.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Does anyone have any good strategy / BnB stuff for Ares? He seems fun.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I like doing those resets a good bit, I feel like losing about 7% damage is worth a mixup into full combo. Plus f3 is advantage on block so You can keep pressuring. Depends on positioning too though.

Those top 8 results are mostly expected, 2 batgirls is interesting but after seeing more of her I can see where she's pretty strong.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Admittedly I haven't tested this, but I would think that the change in the 1.04 patch to make it so that humans can actually do wakeup attacks at the very beginning of the wakeup window would severely hurt the MB Lift dash under reset because your intentions are pretty clear from the dash and they can wakeup to blow up either option (they couldn't beat the b1 beforehand at all so the situation was stacked more heavily in GL's favor). You can read a wakeup and block and punish, sure, but you can do that after the Turbine, too.

The other thing about ending in Turbine and doing b1 is that some wakeups seem to just plain miss the b1 from max range. I guess it's just a preference thing, though.

Edit: Eh, I dunno, maybe I should give the MB Lift thing another chance, just to have another trick up my sleeve if nothing else.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 9, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Oh yeah, wake up attacks. Now I remember why I wanted to stop using Flash altogether...

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Its possible to change which side you end up on, plus its easy to scare people by meter burning the f3 to avoid wakeups. But yeah wakeups are real easy now so its not so easy to pressure

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Could anyone in very simple terms explain wake up attacks to me? I know you do something while the character is falling down but I'm not sure if it's just a button I press at a certain time or do I do the inputs for the move I want? If I start the inputs when do I actually start inputting them? Even in training I haven't been able to get a single one off. Games really need to include real manuals these days.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Could anyone in very simple terms explain wake up attacks to me? I know you do something while the character is falling down but I'm not sure if it's just a button I press at a certain time or do I do the inputs for the move I want? If I start the inputs when do I actually start inputting them? Even in training I haven't been able to get a single one off. Games really need to include real manuals these days.

You have to buffer the input just before your character is about to get up. I have no idea which one would be the safest to use with WW, so... experiment!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
So the second they hit the ground?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
No, it's something you input as your character would normally be getting up off of the ground. If you press a button the second you hit the ground you will tech roll unless you were put into an un-techable knockdown.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

nunsexmonkrock posted:

So the second they hit the ground?

No, there are different kinds of knockdowns, soft and hard (maybe a third one?), and the timing is different for each. With soft you're down for only a second, with hard maybe 1.5/2? So it's right before you wake up, not when you hit the ground.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
So when they hit the ground, but wait a second to start it?

Edit: I guess it makes sense. Whenever I tried to do it I started before they hit the ground or right when they did.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 9, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

nunsexmonkrock posted:

So when they hit the ground, but wait a second to start it?

Go into Practice Mode, go into AI Options, go to Record, then record the AI sweeping you or something, then go to Playback so that they'll repeatedly try to sweep you. When your character is getting up from the knockdown, do a special move (e.g. Lasso Spin). If you timed it in the window for wakeup attacks, you will see Wakeup Attack pop up on screen near your super meter.

The purpose of wakeup attacks in this game is that almost no special moves in this game have invincibility on their own. If you do them in the wakeup window, though, certain special moves do get some invincibility, making them effective at messing up the opponent's attempt to pressure you when you're knocked down. A lot of the specials that get invincibility tend to be unsafe if blocked, though, so it becomes a bit of a mindgame.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Go into Practice Mode, go into AI Options, go to Record, then record the AI sweeping you or something, then go to Playback so that they'll repeatedly try to sweep you. When your character is getting up from the knockdown, do a special move (e.g. Lasso Spin). If you timed it in the window for wakeup attacks, you will see Wakeup Attack pop up on screen near your super meter.

The purpose of wakeup attacks in this game is that almost no special moves in this game have invincibility on their own. If you do them in the wakeup window, though, certain special moves do get some invincibility, making them effective at messing up the opponent's attempt to pressure you when you're knocked down. A lot of the specials that get invincibility tend to be unsafe if blocked, though, so it becomes a bit of a mindgame.

Yeah I tried that in practice. I think I have been just starting at the wrong time. I'll try again later tonight. I was wondering because more and more people seem to be using them. So I need to learn. :) Thanks!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Going back to the topic of Scorpion's Teleport, Perfect Legend - probably the absolute best Scorpion at this early point - made a short video showing how to deal with it. It's basically the same stuff that's already been said here, but it might help folks to see it in video form: http://testyourmight.com/threads/dealing-with-scorpions-teleport.34025/

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm trying my best to like this game, but the lovely input system + awful online netcode make it really hard to not get incredibly frustrated when I lose to idiot deathstroke #1542 because I can't reliably do an air oa's rocket online. I feel like the reason so many people play deathstroke is because it's really easy to stay on the ground spamming guns and the other guy has to actually input things through the lag to stop it. It also doesn't make me feel good that I dropped a few bucks on lobo because I thought he was cool, and he turns out to be a candidate for worst character in the game, with the devs showing no intentions of fixing it. Maybe if I find some offline group of people that play the game ill keep playing but online is just frustrating as hell. I don't know why they couldn't just copy SFIV, where the online isn't perfect, but it feels so much smoother and more responsive.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Speaking of Scorpion's teleport, this is for anyone out there who wants to make them safe (me!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ynwlffs-b8

:getin:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Dracula Factory posted:

I'm trying my best to like this game, but the lovely input system + awful online netcode make it really hard to not get incredibly frustrated when I lose to idiot deathstroke #1542 because I can't reliably do an air oa's rocket online. I feel like the reason so many people play deathstroke is because it's really easy to stay on the ground spamming guns and the other guy has to actually input things through the lag to stop it. It also doesn't make me feel good that I dropped a few bucks on lobo because I thought he was cool, and he turns out to be a candidate for worst character in the game, with the devs showing no intentions of fixing it. Maybe if I find some offline group of people that play the game ill keep playing but online is just frustrating as hell. I don't know why they couldn't just copy SFIV, where the online isn't perfect, but it feels so much smoother and more responsive.

Practice a little more. It sometimes takes me a try or 2 to reliably pull of a move in the air when I first boot up the game. But after that it's all good once I learn the timing.

Sorry I can't offer any Green Lantern pointers against Deathstroke though. Maybe someone else can? As for SFIV I'm sure they'd have to pay Capcom a ton of :10bux:. More than it's worth to use their code. Not that I really know how much better it is though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

In other news, Northwest Majors V is going on, and although it isn't for a few hours, the Top 8 for Injustice will be at 4:30 PM PST on https://www.twitch.tv/TeamKhaos

NWM Top 8:

Winners:
OBS TrevarThePastor (Superman)
STB|Kevin 7 (Batman)
Reggie (Doomsday)
Joey Classic (Batgirl)

Losers:
Heaton (Deathstroke)
Collin LG (Black Adam, Green Lantern)
STB|McNasty (Wonder Woman)
Saul C (Batgirl)

Interesting character variety, with the only repeat being Batgirl. No Scorpion, but he probably was banned due to non-Season Pass people not having him yet.

I don't know if I heard wrong or if they're behind, but the main stream for this is still on KOF13 with 3-4 matches to go. Injustice should be on after that.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I don't know if I heard wrong or if they're behind, but the main stream for this is still on KOF13 with 3-4 matches to go. Injustice should be on after that.

I've been watching for like 8 minutes and I've only actually seen 1 match, KoF takes agessss.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I wish Injustice would get a tag team mode. It would be so awesome. :(

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Practice a little more. It sometimes takes me a try or 2 to reliably pull of a move in the air when I first boot up the game. But after that it's all good once I learn the timing.

Sorry I can't offer any Green Lantern pointers against Deathstroke though. Maybe someone else can? As for SFIV I'm sure they'd have to pay Capcom a ton of :10bux:. More than it's worth to use their code. Not that I really know how much better it is though.

SFIV netcode is terrible, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

^^^^ What Injustice REALLY needs is Team Battle, so an 8 man room can actually have everyone playing regularly.

E: Watching that KOF13 stream waiting for the Injustice... I have to say I wish I had people to play KOF with, because I like the game but the netcode is SO bad.

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 10, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

gannyGrabber posted:

^^^^ What Injustice REALLY needs is Team Battle, so an 8 man room can actually have everyone playing regularly.

A Catwoman/Scorpion team up? A man can dream.

It's a shame that our PS3's would probably explode if they even attempted something like that. Maybe in the next Injustice. :unsmith:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Krad posted:

A Catwoman/Scorpion team up? A man can dream.

It's a shame that our PS3's would probably explode if they even attempted something like that. Maybe in the next Injustice. :unsmith:

Man, if the frigging gamecube could run 16 man team battle on SCII, I'm sure the Ps3 can handle 8-man Injustice. Hell, even if they had to turn off the background/costume damage and stuff to do it, they definitely could. I feel it in my heart.

Injustice stream is about to start. Does anyobdy have any idea who these players are? I don't see the big names in the mix. E: I see now that it's a west stream.

As a final note, I would -never- team up with that esqueleto mofo Scorpion.

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 10, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

gannyGrabber posted:

Man, if the frigging gamecube could run 16 man team battle on SCII, I'm sure the Ps3 can handle 8-man Injustice. Hell, even if they had to turn off the background/costume damage and stuff to do it, they definitely could. I feel it in my heart.

I know I read somewhere before that they couldn't get tag/team battles in because it'd be too much strain on the engine or something silly like that.

You should only not team up with Scorpion if you enjoy losing.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

gannyGrabber posted:

One of these games was developed with that in mind and the other was designed as a 1v1 fighter and used most of the resources they have with the consoles at hand. If you want an even better example of memory restrictions that don't seem reasonable without any knowledge of how things work, Skullgirls, a 2D fighter, can barely hold taunt animations and absolutely cannot hold multiple winposes at once outside of the two active fighters. Consoles don't have nearly the memory you think they do.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

sentrygun posted:

One of these games was developed with that in mind and the other was designed as a 1v1 fighter and used most of the resources they have with the consoles at hand. If you want an even better example of memory restrictions that don't seem reasonable without any knowledge of how things work, Skullgirls, a 2D fighter, can barely hold taunt animations and absolutely cannot hold multiple winposes at once outside of the two active fighters. Consoles don't have nearly the memory you think they do.

I dunno, man. If they have the stuff in place to carry over health from one survivor to the next, team battle would be as simple as loading everything into a spreadsheet and doing a short memory dump/load between matches, right? And, at any rate, we know they can do at least 3 people at a time because we have the Sidekick battle ladder. I'm just not buying the 'we can't do it!' stuff.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
As someone who mains Scorpion, I really feel lovely that no one seems to like him as much as me... Oh well, more of you to send to hell. :unsmigghh:

Krad posted:

Hold down? :shobon:

That's what the pressure from the Hellfire is for, as well as the j3.

gannyGrabber posted:

This is something I particularly watch for before deciding on that teleport. Spear seems to catch people off guard a lot, thought it's really unsafe. Same with the hellfire.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This is actually a pretty solid idea against Scorp in the full screen to mid-range game. Spear is slow so you can react to it and Hellfire is super slow so you can jump it and then continue to approach.

Also, holding down and being patient at long range is still not a bad idea. If you make Scorpion make the first move at that range, be it a dash, a jump, a teleport, Hellfire, whatever, you can see it and have time to react accordingly where you don't have to be afraid of the teleport.

Depending on your character, yeah this is the best bet. However, I've noticed that some characters just can't punish the hellfire or spear from even 3/4th screen. This might just be an observation bias though.

Also, at full screen, you can bait with the spear and hellfire. If they're gonna jump off the bat because you've been hellfireing them, then teleport or time out a spear. If you spear and they jump, spam bf3. I've noticed it'll catch people as their landing, potentially whiffing their jumping attack.

AndyElusive posted:

Playing against Scorpion really does require a unique plan of attack.

I'm working on my max damage punish for when I do successfully block a telepunch. This way it becomes a huge risk for Scorpion to throw them out mindlessly and most ranked match Scorpions don't figure this out until after they're behind on life and I've converted 1 or 2 of them into a nice life lead. Then the ground flames come out.

If I don't predict right and fail to jump over and punish a ground flame, I'll gladly go ahead and eat three or four of them over one telepunch.

This too. This also works fantastically.

Glad to know I'm gonna have to be more patient than you if I wanna win. Which reminds me, thanks for those like 15 matches of Scorpion x Sinestro that we got in the other day. The things I learned seem to work well on any projectile heavy character.

Edit: keeping a numerical value, like a hp amount, is far less strain than say, 4 fighters in teams of 2 over an already terrible netcode with a game that is pushing current consoles to the brim.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 10, 2013

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Hey, I decided to make a PSN goon room (GoonsAmongUs) if anyone is interested in beating the crap out of me!

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
None of these Batgirls are using the electric fists.... ?

They are like 2% worse than the spike fists unblocked, except on chip when they're literally 10 times better. Seems like an easy choice to use the electric fists.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Foodahn posted:

None of these Batgirls are using the electric fists.... ?

They are like 2% worse than the spike fists unblocked, except on chip when they're literally 10 times better. Seems like an easy choice to use the electric fists.

It's rare to see Batgirl's fists actually get blocked. For the most part she stuff that hits the block is an elbow or a leg, which doesn't have the bonus, so it doesn't work out as favourably as you might think. Additionaly, most of her punches are high attacks, so trying to use the electric fists leaves you open to getting combo'd from a d1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Just saw the coolest thing ever. Superjerk mb'd the water wall on atlantis, and durthstrurk did a f3 mb dash cancel to take the dmg but stay up. Was very cool.

• Locked thread