Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
let us all go back to our dojos, which i'm pretty certain are all located in gbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
So...IBJJF world's were this weekend. Here's something cool from that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OqEimeID-Q

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Sprecherscrow posted:

that was slick as hell. nice.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Sprecherscrow posted:

drat, slick toehold

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Sprecherscrow posted:

I had to replay it a couple of times to figure out how he transitioned to that knee bar.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Bundt Cake posted:

Its because Trigg didn't have the UFC's wrestling biased rules that disallow Buffer's biggest stylistic advantage, his suit

Also the leather shoes that deny people the ability to toehold.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The funniest thing about CivilDisobedience's latest hilarity is that not only was his clock-choke fantasy scenario not a consideration in MMA back when the UFC and PRIDE allowed gis, it also wasn't a consideration in judo, where before the IJF changed the rules about pants-gripping Russian wrestlers were dominating the higher weight classes with morote-gari.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I never understood why they got so butt hurt about that and banned it. Good techniques are good techniques, double legs are good who cares if its a "wrestling" move or isn't "pure judo" which is code for "whatever the japanese guy used to win".

I do understand that apparently a big part of the strategy was bullrushing guys off the mats instead of actually executing a takedown. but that seems like something you could handle by just calling it stalling and enforcing those rules instead of introducing yet more byzantine restrictions that cripple judoka in more loose rulesets and make the art ineffective.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

I never understood why they got so butt hurt about that and banned it. Good techniques are good techniques, double legs are good who cares if its a "wrestling" move or isn't "pure judo" which is code for "whatever the japanese guy used to win".

I do understand that apparently a big part of the strategy was bullrushing guys off the mats instead of actually executing a takedown. but that seems like something you could handle by just calling it stalling and enforcing those rules instead of introducing yet more byzantine restrictions that cripple judoka in more loose rulesets and make the art ineffective.

The people running the Olympics don't give a poo poo about the integrity of the sport, only money.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Also, why can't you tackle people in basketball? It's all bullshit.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Novum posted:

I think its more, hey we play basketball but in our league you can only drive to the right and shooting the ball in the paint is only ok after the guy guarding you has two feet on the ground. We will also revise these rules every twenty minutes.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It wasn't that guys were getting people down with double legs, they were shooting really lovely ones from the outside, basically stalling and winning with a couple kokas. There would probably be better ways to prevent that from happening than banning leg takedowns, or even shooting.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Novum posted:

Basketball is another sport which could be improved by legalizing double legs.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah Oly Judo is a goddamn mess. First it was a plague of pick ups, then a plague of gripfighters, then a plague of bull rushers. And of course we had to have a stupid rule change to go with each plague. I don't think anyone's even considered winning Olympic events with real Judo since Koga.

Also this

fatherdog posted:

Actually it is wrestlers that are most disadvantaged by the UFC's rules, since they aren't allowed to wear wrestling shoes they are helpless against judokas vicious toe-locks.

is loving hilarious. Makes perfect sense, don't know why I didn't see it before.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 3, 2013

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

CivilDisobedience posted:

Yeah Oly Judo is a goddamn mess. First it was a plague of pick ups, then a plague of gripfighters, then a plague of bull rushers. And of course we had to have a stupid rule change to go with each plague. I don't think anyone's even considered winning Olympic events with real Judo since Koga.

What, to you, qualifies as 'real Judo'? Why do these things you call plagues not qualify?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Sprecherscrow posted:

What, to you, qualifies as 'real Judo'? Why do these things you call plagues not qualify?

not to put words in his/her mouth but "throwing a guy on the ground really hard using the minimum of physical strength".

These Judo has dumb rules arguments always get stupid anyway because everyone pretty much agrees the rules are bad then proceeds to argue about true Budo spirit or whatever.

Sambo, Greco-Roman and eastern european "vita-shots" is the greatest of all grappling combinations anyway. So I don't know why we're wasting our time on this argument and not hefting potato sacks over our heads while singing the Internationale.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
You remember the match from Metamoris that was supposed to be Ryan Hall vs Bill Cooper? Well a few weeks ago it turned into Cooper vs Victor Estima and now it's Victor vs Keenan.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Victor is going to destroy him his foot.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

As annoying as all the new rules in Judo are, it's still distinctively judo for people who are practicing. And it's still an olympic sport, which is a pretty big deal.

And to be clear it was a Mongolian, not a Russian who made everyone look silly with his double leg. Not that russian's weren't.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Fat Twitter Man posted:

It wasn't that guys were getting people down with double legs, they were shooting really lovely ones from the outside, basically stalling and winning with a couple kokas. There would probably be better ways to prevent that from happening than banning leg takedowns, or even shooting.

And since they basically removed ground work you coudln't do much to use their lovely takedowns against them.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Reminder that Metamoris II is going today, don't think I'll be able to watch but I figured I'd mention it.

http://metamoris.com/

quote:

Shinya Aoki vs. Kron Gracie
Roberto “Cyborg” Abreu vs. Brendan Schaub
Andre Galvao vs. Rafael Lovato Jr.
Braulio Estima vs. Rodolfo Vieira
Mackenzie Dern vs. Michelle Nicolini
Jonathan Torres vs. Victor Estima

Note that their website now says it's Victor Estima vs JT Torres and not Cornelius. What a clusterfuck that match has ended up being. Speaking of which, I read some, uh, interesting speculation about why Bill Cooper got dropped here...

quote:

Metamoris made this post on their Facebook account on June 3rd:

“Bill Cooper has been cut from the Metamoris Pro Jiu Jitsu Invitational II card for failing to complete pre-competition requirements and for conduct unbefitting a Metamoris competitor. We expect our athletes to comport themselves in a professional manner both on and off the mat. Despite Cooper’s unquestionable ability as a competitor, we had to part ways.

[...]

Although the Estima vs. Cornelius seems a lock to be another crowd pleaser, the reasons as to why Cooper was removed from the card remain a mystery. We are only speculating, but the conduct Metamoris made reference to could be related to his re-tweeting a derogatory joke through BillCooperBjj that first appeared the twitter account of “Manly rear end in a top hat.” The tweet in question said “My favorite Winnie the Pooh character” and linked to an Africanized version of Pigglet called “Nigglet.”
For the record, I checked and he did re-tweet this stupid thing on June 1. Pretty funny if that's the actual reason.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

Its because Trigg didn't have the UFC's wrestling biased rules that disallow Buffer's biggest stylistic advantage, his suit

To bring this all full circle, one time in Tulsa, Frank Trigg took on a guy from Tulsa Judo Club in a grappling match. Guess what happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTm94LbLNQE

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

To bring this all full circle, one time in Tulsa, Frank Trigg took on a guy from Tulsa Judo Club in a grappling match. Guess what happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTm94LbLNQE

Trigg would then start training judo himself afterwards.

So Kron vs. Aoki is no-gi, but I'm not sure about any of the others. Anyone know? I would guess Cyborg/Schaub no-gi and the rest gi, but I couldn't find it listed anywhere.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Rener and Ed O'Neil with golf-whisper commentary.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Rener and Ed O'Neil with golf-whisper commentary.

Something needs to be done about Ed's mic. I can hear everytime he takes a sip of water

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

ch3cooh posted:

Something needs to be done about Ed's mic. I can hear everytime he takes a sip of water

That's bonus content.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

So they bring in judges to make sure there's a winner if nobody gets tapped after 20 minutes. And the first judges' decision is a loving draw. Good job, Metamoris.

Edit: "he's got a very strong uncle"

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

:laffo: they brought in judges because people wanted winners. And the judges rule the first match is a draw

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I bet it's a draw

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

I bet it's a draw

My thoughts exactly.

edit: :lol:

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 10, 2013

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Bahahahaha burn it down

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
So you're saying this maybe isn't worth $20

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Does no one play top game anymore? ...maybe the point system isn't so bad

Edit: watching this and worlds has made me realize mma actually has the purest jiu jitsu

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 10, 2013

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I don't really know poo poo about JITZ, but I've been entertained.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Everyone knows Jiu Jitsu doesn't work. Time to see how Brendan Schaub manages to get knocked out.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Jesus Christ, Schaub. The only thing you can do is get in his guard. Unless he wants to go straight to Cyborg's mount.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Take Rener off the mic, put the hecklers on commentary.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

LobsterMobster posted:

Jesus Christ, Schaub. The only thing you can do is get in his guard. Unless he wants to go straight to Cyborg's mount.

Don't know what his strategy is, not going to accomplish anything by running away. Better to try and get submitted.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
please keep me posted in gif form if anything funny happens to schaub. i would be watching but study is taking precedence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Nifft posted:

Don't know what his strategy is, not going to accomplish anything by running away. Better to try and get submitted.

Don't end up on bottom, use the neck grab to shut down tornado guard, disengage whenever possible, try to catch something fluky when cyborg takes a bad shot