Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Pick 'em
Champs retain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

FairGame posted:

Oh hey, I just noticed that I never set a with-DH lineup and thus my defensive positioning is weird and kind of terrible in the Super Cup. Mantle at 1b?

Can I make a lineup switch on the fly?

When Playing a no-DH team: use the same lineups I do during the SL
When Playing a DH team, vs. Righties: Same lineups, but with Roger Maris at DH, batting 9th
When Playing a DH team, vs. Lefties: Same lineups, but with Moises Alou at DH, batting 9th

Well, no, because I've already simmed the entire Super-Cup.

Also, with 167 teams in the tournament, I didn't really have the time to go look for everyone's lineups, so I just made the best guesses I could. Regrettable, sure, but there are limits to how far I'm willing to go for this thread.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
Pick 'em

Unified Triple Crown Championships
Antarctica Unspecifieds @ Burma Imperialists (c)

Intercontinental Championship vs. Canadian Championship - UNIFICATION MATCH!
Eazy W's unify vs. Both Teams Retain vs. Manatees unify

Heavyweight Championship
Detroit Falcons @ Coburns (c)

Hardcore Championship
Louisville Muggers (c) @ Carolina Llamas

Television Championship
St. Louis Self-Congratulators @ Leicester Hunchbacks (c)

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Pick 'em

Heavyweight Championship

Hardcore Championship

Television Championship

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

All champs retain current titles.

DL Bard, call up Campbell to set up. Thanks.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Well, no, because I've already simmed the entire Super-Cup.

Also, with 167 teams in the tournament, I didn't really have the time to go look for everyone's lineups, so I just made the best guesses I could. Regrettable, sure, but there are limits to how far I'm willing to go for this thread.

Totally fine. Thanks!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League X, Week 2: The World's Longest Suicide Note

Caution: These Games of the Week are not very good.

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

LLAMAS WIN HARDCORE TITLE 6-4

Raleigh- In a game that was, most likely, tense and full of drama, the Carolina Llamas defeated the Louisville Muggers for the third straight time today, winning the Hardcore Title in the process.

Since Super-League policy forbids reporters from attending games in the South, it is impossible to know what actually occurred over the course of the game, and all we are left with is speculation.

Based purely on speculation, it does not seem too improbable to assume that this game was interrupted by a band of ninjas, hired by the powerful SSE Corp. as part of a bid to undermine shareholder confidence in TheFlyingLlama's leadership of the team. Hypothetically speaking, again, this would be because SSE Corp. is currently a 40% shareholder in the franchise and TheFlyingLlama, while having only a 35% share himself, recently won a proxy war to make himself the chairman of the board, with his loyal supporters making up the rest of the corporate directors.

In such a scenario, which, again, is pure speculation, it seems almost certain that such ninja intervention would be the culmination of a long struggle between TheFlyingLlama and SSE Corp., who have been engaged in a long and brutal shadow war over control of the Carolina Llamas. With both sides seeming to realize that litigation to resolve the ownership dispute would be tedious, costly, and, most importantly, boring, they each turned to highly-trained mercenaries to destroy each other, while keeping up a pretense of civility.

One would think that, if that were in fact the case, which, as far as anyone knows, it was, Llama's team of shadowrunners, better known as the Pilsen Red Squad, drew first blood when the completely demolished a SSE corp. black site outside of Magadan, Russia. Incensed, one would assume, SSE corp. sent their own corporate shadowrunners to destroy large portions of Durham in revenge, knowing that the Golden Triangle was TheFlyingLlama's seat of power.

Obviously, this could not go unanswered, and the Pilsen Red Squad responded in the only rational way he could think of which, unfortunately, turned out to be bombing several neighborhoods of Philadelphia with war zeppelins in an incident that, again, this is all speculation, but an act designed to show SSE Corp. the length of TheFlyingLlama's reach. Unfortunately, this backfired when, due to cost-saving measures, the zeppelins were filled with hydrogen rather than helium, and, in an unfortunate incident, combusted, killing the entire team, leaving TheFlyingLlama vulnerable for the sort of ninja attack that, again, we can only speculate, occurred during today's game.

GAME NOTES

-Tim Lincecum lasted only 3.2 innings as his pitching mechanics have, it turns out, not actually been particularly revolutionary, except at slowly degrading the arm of a promising young pitcher.

-Greg Vaughn still exists and is still in the Llamas' lineup. It is hard to understand why, other than the possibility that TheFlyingLlama has a very odd sense of humor.

-Speaking of the South, I myself have never been to a Waffle House, living, as I do, several hundred miles north of their natural habitat. I would like to say that my best guess is that while the novelty of getting waffles at any hour of the day may seem interesting at first, in the end, they would prove to be essentially downscale versions of IHOP.

-Smasher Dynamo later apologized for this writeup, explaining that it seemed a lot better in his head and, even there, it wasn't particularly good.

Box Score

Don May posted:

SELF-CONGRATULATORS WIN TELEVISION TITLE, FURIOUS SMASHER DYNAMO CANCELS WRITEUP IN RESPONSE

Box Score

Don May posted:

GENERICS CONTINUE TO BE UNSTOPPABLE, GET REVENGE ON ORANGES

Florida City- The cycle of vengeance keeps on turning.

Back in the Halcyon days of the Vae Victis, when the Rockford Losers, Florida Oranges and Dubai Dervishes vied for dominance, turning the division in a blood-soaked battlefield in the process, the first Rochester Generics stood by and just tried to survive. They were never real contenders for the division, and to the extent that the real powers-that-were thought of them at all, they thought of the Generics as a cheap source of wins to fuel their campaign.

It's hard to say how kw0134 felt about that. ToiletofSadness was known as a the greatest owner to never win a Super-League championship, Beet was known for his slow evolution into one of the more cunning owners in the Dynamo League, and oldskool, well, by that point, he was old school, as the only surviving owner from the third Expansion Class, he was a lion in winter. But kw0134? He was always a bit of cipher. Even his name, a seemingly random collection of numbers and letters gave no indication who he was or what he wanted.

oldskool, who recently returned to the Super-League thanks to his defeat of Bruzer's latest suicide squad, was dismissive of kw0134 and the Generics before the game began, snorting that, "The Generics are back? If there was one team that didn't need a second shot, it's the Generics. They had their run, and it was terrible. Hell, given how badly they played, I bet that kw0134 must have paid off Smasher to stay in the league that long. Do we really need another season of that poo poo?"

In response, kw0134 vowed that he would "immediately sue oldskool for slander, and the Super-League for libel in reprinting those ugly accusations of me bribing Smasher Dynamo to keep the Generics in the Super-League. I have no further comment on this pending litigation."

The game, as one would expect, was tense throughout. In the top of the eighth, the game was tied 4-4. This was both good and bad news for the Oranges. On the minus side, Pete Alexander had started the game, the best pitcher they had, and the best he had been able to do was battle the Generics to a tie. On the plus side, though, the score was still tied, and the Oranges were known for having the best bullpen in the league. The longer the game went on, and the deeper into each bullpen that each team had to go, and the Generics' bullpen was so thin that the immortal Rocky Bottalico served as their closer. All the Oranges had to do was hold on a bit longer, and everything should work itself out.

The Generics, though, had other ideas. In the eighth, they pounced on Joe Nathan, who gave up three runs on a base-loaded double from Jackie Robinson. It was a back-breaking moment for the Oranges, who had not expected such a breakthrough from the Generics, and appeared to have no good answer, mustering only a Barry Bonds solo home run in the bottom of the ninth, leaving them on the short end of a 7-5 loss as the Generics continued their torrid start.

Joe Nathan, having lost the game for the Oranges, was upset after the game, "Wait, the Generics? I thought they got relegated. I mean, I heard that their last bribe-check to Smasher bounced or something, and that's why they got bounced from the league." Nathan's remarks were interrupted by the a reporter asking him if he was, in fact, Joe Nathan. Confused, Nathan confirmed his identity, at which point the reporter revealed himself to be a process server, who served Nathan with a slander suit from kw0134, who has apparently decided that the path to Super-League glory runs through litigation.

GAME NOTES

-Earl "Crossfire" Moore picked up the win today, going seven innings, allowing only three earned runs and striking out...no one.

-I called Ricky Bottalico "Rocky" in my writeup. In my defense, he is an Italian-American who played for the Philadelphia Phillies. Clearly, he should be Rocky Bottalico.

Box Score

Don May posted:

THUNDERSTRUCK! THUNDERSTORMS DEFEAT KILLER MIKES 7-5

Akabira- When tatankatonk reshuffled his lineup after one week, this was not likely the result he was looking for.

The game was drawn 3-3 after nine innings, with the powerful offenses held down by the cool conditions in Akabira, as well as the hot pitching of Johan Santana and Bert Blyleven.

Still, it was only a matter of time before one or both of these lineups exploded, and, in the top of the tenth, the Thunderstorms finally unleashed a torrent of runs. The inning started off with Lindy McDaniel plunking Luis Gonzalez, likely by accident, and then Sadaharu Oh reaching first base on a Travis Jackson error. With runners on first and second with no outs, the Killer Mikes were suddenly in real trouble. McDaniel, trying to pull himself together, then walked Clemente and threw a wild pitch, scoring Gonzalez and giving the Thunderstorms a 4-3 lead, with runners now on second and third with no outs. Trying to move past his struggles, as well as avoid another walk, McDaniel fired his next pitch to Yount right down the middle, hoping that the shortstop would take the pitch for a strike and put McDaniel ahead in the count.

Yount refused to cooperate with that plan, instead hitting the ball into center field for a two-RBI single, giving the Thunderstorms a 6-3 lead. McDaniel, having now blown the game, was somehow liberated. After all, with the game likely lost, whatever pressure there had been on him was now gone. Reasserting himself, he got Beltran and Morgan out in quick succession, leaving him just one out from getting out of the inning. But The Machine was next, and the robot was in no rush to help McDaniel escape his troubles. McDaniel, knowing that The Machine had already hit two home runs in the previous game, and one more earlier in this game, pitched around him, walking the robot in four pitches. Unfortunately, that set up a Molitor double to extend the Thunderstorm lead to 7-3 before, at long last, McDaniel got the final out of the inning on a Joe Mauer pop-up.

With the game on the line, the heart of the Killer Mikes order stepped up, with Musial, Ott and Gehrig hitting three straight singles to score a run and bring the tying run to the plate in the form of Brian Downing. Unfortunately, the best that Downing could do was hit into a fielder's choice that left the Mikes with runners at the corners and one out. Dan Plesac, now on the mound for the Thunderstorms, then threw a wild pitch to score Ott and narrow the lead to 7-5. But as the next two batters were Ken Boyer and Dan Uggla, that did not matter at all, as Plesac got two quick strikeouts on only eight pitches, and the Thunderstorms took the victory.

This loss did not sit well with tatankatonk, "Oh, what a calamitous defeat! And here I was, preparing to share with you the greatest hip-hip victory rap of our times, the likes of which would have changed the entire genre, and I was ready to do that, but then we lost the game. As a result, I will be forced to postpone this history-making, history-changing, history-ending rap epic until a more suitable time, when the people of the Super-League have truly earned a chance to listen to my greatness. What a shame!" tatankatonk then twirled his long, multi-colored cape, and left the stage.

GAME NOTES

-The MACHINE continued to be sabermetrically perfect, drawing three walks and hitting a home run in the Thunderstorms' win. Asked for how it felt about GVOLTT's reluctance to put the android in the lineup, The MACHINE responded, in its cold, flat voice, "The MACHINE understands that some humans are afraid of the rise of the machines. The MACHINE does not understand fear, but the MACHINE understands the concept of fear. The MACHINE is the future. GVOLTT is afraid of the future. The MACHINE will fix GVOLTT's fear. Forever.

-Dan Uggla is clearly the greatest enemy that the city of Akabira has ever faced.

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

Not enough pitching.

Analysis

I guess it's fair to say at this point that Rogers Hornsby just hates Antarctica.

Analysis

Mark Prior had 158 pitches in his last start. Good to see the Automatons are using him correctly, then.

Analysis

Rome wasn't built in a day, this division won't be won or lost in a week.

Analysis

SUDDEN SAM STATUS: No mas! No mas!

Analysis

Getting better, and I still have high hopes for the Colliders.

Analysis

Please don't start panicking and changing your lineup just yet. Yeah, you got swept by the Skyhawks. You know what, though? Getting swept by the Skyhawks was basically a rite of passage in the first few years of the Super-League. This just puts you in the same company as the San Francisco Clues or the Senadores de San Juan.

Okay, maybe you should start panicking.

Analysis

Well, you are champions, and it's not like your hitting can continue to be this bad for much longer.

Analysis

Nothing to see here.

Analysis

It's a process, drat it!

Analysis

That CF platoon can't be working out the way you want it to be.

Analysis

I think you've got to give it a bit more time to settle before you blow everything up, but that pitching is a serious problem.

Analysis

Not bad, and they should get better.

Analysis

Amazingly, the Gio Gonzalez/Mark Langston Miracle Power Lefty Connection is quite panning out.

Analysis

FAILURE!

Analysis

Your catchers are willing, but the hitting is still weak.

Analysis

I need more data before I give you any recommendations.

Analysis

SUCCESS!

Analysis

I think you need more offense.

Analysis

Some day, Revenant Threshold, I'll forgive you for giving the Television Title to the Self-Congratulators. But not today.

Analysis

At this pace, your team will finish with 13 home runs this season. Impressive! For 1910, at least.

Analysis

Power hitting, power pitching, power guitar-playing from Alex Lifeson! The Manatees have it all!

Analysis

Rick Aguilera will get a save one of these weeks! Just you watch!

Analysis

Why are the Mercuries always successful the Super-League? I don't know, but I have come to accept that it is something I cannot change.

Analysis

They aren't hitting that great, they are pitching well, but hardly flawlessly, but, at a certain point, you've just got to be happy for kw0134 finally having some success in the Super-League.

Analysis

How the gently caress is it possible that your team is always, always, always one starter short of a full rotation? How can you make 100 trades, and not trade for one guy good enough for you to fit in your rotation? I mean, you continually ask me, "Smasher, what is wrong with my team", and I usually demur, because your team is rolling, and it's just statistical noise that's bothering you, but I'll give you some free advice this time: GET A REAL FIFTH STARTER!

Analysis

Well, CaptainYesterday, I know that it's rough when your team has a rough start-

Wait, the Engineers are over .500? How the hell did that happen?

Analysis

Looking good so far.

Analysis

Axford is failing! Send for Yoshida!

Analysis

Not time to panic just yet.

Analysis

Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight, because this is confusing the poo poo out of me. You're a Yankees fans, Joe Torre has the higher rating, and Joe Torre is sitting on the bench? How is that possible?

Analysis

I hate the entire world.

Analysis

Deus ex Machina.

Analysis

Pitching woes writ large.

Standings

Pick 'emania!

Heavyweight Championship

Hardcore Championship

Television Championship

Archie Goodwin: 14 points
FairGame: 13 points (1 Perfect Week)
mrnoun: 12 points
Viscount Slim: 12 points (1 Perfect Week)
Pungry: 11 points
blakelmenakle: 9 points
mentholmoose: 9 points
TheFlyingLlama: 9 points
cbx: 8 points
factorialite: 8 points
ForeverBWFC: 8 points
Warm Sarsaparilla: 8 points
kw0134: 7 points
Monathin: 7 points
UltimoDragonQuest: 7 points
Beet: 6 points
CaptainYesterday: 6 points
Monicro: 6 points
Robert_Deadford: 6 points
theacox: 6 points
CthulhuDreams: 5 points
CVE: 5 points
GrickleGrass: 5 points
Mr. Cool, Cool Ice: 5 points
RevenantThreshold: 5 points
GVOLTT: 4 points
mks5000: 4 points
Zodiac5000: 4 points
gingemidget: 3 points
Senerio: 3 points

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Smasher, I am sorry I ever doubted The MACHINE.

However, Oh isn't doing so good. Time for some lineup shuffling!

#1-3 remain the same.
#4 - The MACHINE
#5 - still Roberto Clemente
#6 - Hector Espino
#7 - still Carlos Beltran
#8 - Sadaharu Oh
#9 - Robin Yount

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

It seems Winfield does a lot better in the Super League than I for some reason thought he would, so Put Winfield into Wheat's spot in the lineup, and also swap his and Yaz's positions since he's an actual RF.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
So. I guess I'm looking for pitching. 1908 Mordecai Brown is on the table. I'm looking for 2 modern SPs that don't throw junk. Look up Brown, he's a top-notch pitcher that just doesn't work for me.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Going 3-3 against the Bangers and Cultists is a better return than I expected, for certain.

Pitching deckchair movement: Put Brown as SP4, Lee as SP5, McDowell to LR.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Things are going about as well as expected given our early schedule.

Looking at career stats, it seems that despite being a switch hitter, Jose Valentin sucks massive rear end against LHP, and Toby Harrah is not producing very much.

Therefore,

Jose Valentin plays 2B against RHP
Toby Harrah plays 2B against LHP

The Caballo Proximity Meter is falling fast...

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 10, 2013

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Francisco Rodriguez to long, Platoon Fisk/Cochrane or make Fisk personal catcher to #2 and #4. Either way.

Also Steal Bases slider to -5.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 10, 2013

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Analysis

Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight, because this is confusing the poo poo out of me. You're a Yankees fans, Joe Torre has the higher rating, and Joe Torre is sitting on the bench? How is that possible?

To be fair, Joe is 19 loving years old.

Oh, gently caress it. Swap him and Crandell. Torre is the everyday catcher and Crandell catches for Hughson.
I'll give my bullpen one more week before I start reshuffling those deckchairs.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

New Starting Rotation: 1. 2007 Adam Wainwright
2. 2012 Steven Strasburg
3. 2012 Gio Gonzalez
4. 2012 Jordan Zimmerman
5. 1987 Mark Langston

Pretty cool that the other three starters are doing good. Now I just gotta believe Pujols turns it around and get some luck.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

DL Garcia, put Scott in the 5th spot, and bring up Hoyt for long relief.

Have Schalk be the personal catcher for Hoyt.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

It's going a little bit better than I expected so far. Let's hope the impending four weeks of Bucky Walters doesn't derail my hot start.

To that end, bring up Bucky Walters and put him at #5. Since I'd rather Tanana not get an extra start over Derringer, let's just put Tanana at #2 for the duration of the injury and leave the rest of the rotation as is.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
I'm still looking to move some pitching for hitting. Best-case a CF, but I'm willing to listen.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

mrnoun posted:

I'm still looking to move some pitching for hitting. Best-case a CF, but I'm willing to listen.

I've got a 93 rated Josh Hamilton on my bench. Interested?

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

cbx posted:

I've got a 93 rated Josh Hamilton on my bench. Interested?

Yes. What are you looking for, and what year is he?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

quote:

Analysis

FAILURE!

I find it deeply demoralizing that I am considering a double Fingers/double Aceves bullpen.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

mks5000 posted:

To be fair, Joe is 19 loving years old.

Then again my Jimmie Foxx on the Emperors was really young as well and holds the record for RBI in the Super-League. Sometimes it can work out even when you think it shouldn't.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
3-3 this week. I can live with that, I'm slowly turning it around. Just gonna let this baby ride, just going to count on small sample sizes, because I'm not going to give up 5.7 runs a game all season. no way.

Edit:
Ah gently caress it. Red Ames up from the Minors, Joe McGinnity straight to the hell of AAA

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 10, 2013

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

mrnoun posted:

Yes. What are you looking for, and what year is he?

2007. Looking for good SP and draft picks. I'm also offering Mordecai Brown from 1908.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

cbx posted:

2007. Looking for good SP and draft picks. I'm also offering Mordecai Brown from 1908.

I think that might be the 3-Finger I sent you in... the Eddie Collins deal?

I have a few starters I could part with that might fit your need for a modern guy.

1983 Dave Stewart: not exactly a dominant power pitcher, but certainly a modern guy who can give you 6-7 K/9. He also has sky-high endurance and doesn't give up many home runs. Back in '83, he was still a relief pitcher, but it looks like he got a starting pitcher's roll.

1983 Jerry Reuss: he turned into a junk-baller later in his career, it's true. But he still struck out 143 in 1983. His peak in the early 70's was 8.2 K/9, but he never really came close to that later. The appeal of Reuss is his GB/FB ratio: 1.5 ground outs for every fly out he got, a huge number. He also doesn't walk guys.

1999 Chris Carpenter: he was still a few years from breaking through, but it looks like he got a nice roll (90/94), so he could work. He hovered around 7 K/9 in his prime, didn't walk a lot of guys, and also had a solid GB/FB ratio.

1983 Bob Welch: he's massively overrated historically because of his big win totals with the A's later in his career. But in the early 80's, he was actually a decent sabremetric guy: 6-7 K/9, decent walk numbers, not a lot of home runs.

At a somewhat higher price:

1983 Fernando Valenzuela: Mogul has trouble with him, because he pitched for 17 years but peaked in Year 2, so he only got a (89/94) roll. He strikes out a lot of guys and doesn't give up many home runs. His walk totals seem high at a glance, but that's a factor of his high innings totals; his walk rates are actually about average. At his peak, he was topping 8 K/9.

1983 Orel Hershiser: Mogul gave him a nifty (93/93) roll, and I'm looking to put him into the rotation if I can find room for him. He fits the mold of all my other pitchers: decent K rate, lots of ground balls, few home runs, good control, high stamina.

1999 Roy Halladay: rookie, but drew a (94/97) roll. Another guy who fits that same mold.

For general consumption, I'm also willing to move:

1918 Claude Hendrix: above average dead-baller who rolled a (94/94). As such, he doesn't give up a lot of home runs, doesn't walk a lot of guys, and gets more than his share of ground balls.

If any of these guys catch your eye, we can hash something out, or I could hop into chat if needed.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

mrnoun posted:

I think that might be the 3-Finger I sent you in... the Eddie Collins deal?

I have a few starters I could part with that might fit your need for a modern guy.

1983 Dave Stewart: not exactly a dominant power pitcher, but certainly a modern guy who can give you 6-7 K/9. He also has sky-high endurance and doesn't give up many home runs. Back in '83, he was still a relief pitcher, but it looks like he got a starting pitcher's roll.

1983 Jerry Reuss: he turned into a junk-baller later in his career, it's true. But he still struck out 143 in 1983. His peak in the early 70's was 8.2 K/9, but he never really came close to that later. The appeal of Reuss is his GB/FB ratio: 1.5 ground outs for every fly out he got, a huge number. He also doesn't walk guys.

1999 Chris Carpenter: he was still a few years from breaking through, but it looks like he got a nice roll (90/94), so he could work. He hovered around 7 K/9 in his prime, didn't walk a lot of guys, and also had a solid GB/FB ratio.

1983 Bob Welch: he's massively overrated historically because of his big win totals with the A's later in his career. But in the early 80's, he was actually a decent sabremetric guy: 6-7 K/9, decent walk numbers, not a lot of home runs.

At a somewhat higher price:

1983 Fernando Valenzuela: Mogul has trouble with him, because he pitched for 17 years but peaked in Year 2, so he only got a (89/94) roll. He strikes out a lot of guys and doesn't give up many home runs. His walk totals seem high at a glance, but that's a factor of his high innings totals; his walk rates are actually about average. At his peak, he was topping 8 K/9.

1983 Orel Hershiser: Mogul gave him a nifty (93/93) roll, and I'm looking to put him into the rotation if I can find room for him. He fits the mold of all my other pitchers: decent K rate, lots of ground balls, few home runs, good control, high stamina.

1999 Roy Halladay: rookie, but drew a (94/97) roll. Another guy who fits that same mold.

For general consumption, I'm also willing to move:

1918 Claude Hendrix: above average dead-baller who rolled a (94/94). As such, he doesn't give up a lot of home runs, doesn't walk a lot of guys, and gets more than his share of ground balls.

If any of these guys catch your eye, we can hash something out, or I could hop into chat if needed.

If I remember correctly, this Brown came from oldskool for my 1986 Clemens. Anyways, I'll start by saying that if we're just talking Hamilton, I'm only looking at Halladay/Bulldog as we're both taking flyers on rookies. If you want to talk Brown or someone else on the team or draft picks, then by all means, give me a shout in the chat. I'll be there all night.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Holy poo poo we won? That surprises me. On the writeup; my original thought was that I was a llama who somehow inherited a baseball team; but a proxy war with a Russian corporation is way better than that, so roll with it. On actual baseball terms,
Move Lincecum down to fifth in the rotation (Cain takes his place at fourth)
Jesus my relievers are doing amazingly somehow, but I don't expect that to last.
On the hitting side of things; I don't really know what to do with my lineup. Vaughn and Chipper are the biggest issues; I was really just hoping Vaughn hit around .220, but this is what I feared. Chipper's been a real disappointment so far; I don't expect any real power at his age, but he could at least give me a .250 OPS. Well, lets see how some (probably ill advised) platoons go. New lineups are (non-DH are the same with the pitcher in the DH's spot)

VS RHP
SS Bobby Wallace
2B Luis Castillo
CF Willie Mays
LF Albert Pujols
RF Carlos Beltran
3B Mike Lowell
1B Ken Caminiti
C Brian McCann
DH Chipper Jones

Vs LHP

SS Bobby Wallace
2B Luis Castillo
CF Willie Mays
LF Albert Pujols
RF Carlos Beltran
3B Mike Lowell
1B Ken Caminiti
C Bengie Molina
DH Greg Vaughn

Edit: wait poo poo, no I don't want a LF at 2B. Thanks Smasher. Apparently the fourth beer was a bad choice tonight.

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 10, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

TheFlyingLlama posted:

2B Greg Vaughn

HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME!

Now, do it again, and do it right!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Edit: wait poo poo, no I don't want a LF at 2B.
:smuggo:

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Alright. I also need to start playing some platoons or risk killing my players. To that end, the lineups are now

vs. RHP

Ty Cobb RF
Wade Boggs 3B
Ken Griffey Jr. CF
Catcher Slot
John Olerud 1B
Willie Stargell LF
Lou Whitaker 2B
Cal Ripken Jr. SS
Pitcher Slot

vs. LHP

Ty Cobb RF
Wade Boggs 3B
Mickey Mantle CF
Miguel Cabrera 1B
Catcher Slot
Willie Stargell LF
Cal Ripken Jr. SS
Lou Whitaker 2B
Pitcher Slot

Dave Ross becomes the personal catcher for Ed Summers.

Falcons announce a trade!

The Detroit Falcons send:

2007 Josh Hamilton
2013 Armando Valedon

to the Galactic Wanderers in exchange for:

1983 Orel Hershiser
2013 Jared Himler

cbx fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 10, 2013

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

cbx posted:

The Detroit Falcons send:

2007 Josh Hamilton
2013 Armando Valedon

to the Galactic Wanderers in exchange for:

1983 Orel Hershiser
2013 Jared Himler

Any time you can add an Armando Valedon to your team, you gotta pull the trigger.

The Wanderers accept.

mrnoun fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 10, 2013

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

STILL have 1908 Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown on the trading block. Hall of Fame pitcher, Hardball Times says he's the 13th best pitcher of all time using a modified version of Bill James' Win Shares Above Bench stat. Looking for modern SP and draft picks.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Wanderers

Landreaux ejected out of an airlock (our AAA affiliate are the Deep Space Asphyxiators), Hamilton takes his roster spot.

Lineup vs. R:

C DEATH
LF Guerrero
1B Delgado
3B Gibson
DH Green
RF Salmon
CF Hamilton
SS Hollocher
2B Sax

Lineup vs. L:

C DEATH
LF Guerrero
1B Delgado
3B Gibson
RF Salmon
DH Green
SS Batista
CF Hamilton
2B Sax

And here's hoping Hamilton can field CF and not embarrass himself against LHP!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

cbx posted:

STILL have 1908 Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown on the trading block. Hall of Fame pitcher, Hardball Times says he's the 13th best pitcher of all time using a modified version of Bill James' Win Shares Above Bench stat. Looking for modern SP and draft picks.

How modern are we talking here?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Shuffle!

Call up Tom Gorman to be Setup (send Dave Borkowski down)
Call up Hunter Pence to bench, send down Josh Anderson
Call up Kevin Mitchell to bench, send down Patsy Dougherty

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

SmasherDynamo posted:

How the gently caress is it possible that your team is always, always, always one starter short of a full rotation? How can you make 100 trades, and not trade for one guy good enough for you to fit in your rotation? I mean, you continually ask me, "Smasher, what is wrong with my team", and I usually demur, because your team is rolling, and it's just statistical noise that's bothering you, but I'll give you some free advice this time: GET A REAL FIFTH STARTER!

Yeah, it looks like that trade for Rickey Henderson isn't really working out, but thems the breaks. So yeah, I know I need another RP and another SP from.. somewhere. To be fair, Johnson is 0-3 on what looks like appalling luck, and Tanana isn't really this bad, atleast I hope.

DH vs RHP

CF: Tris Speaker
2B: Hornsby
DH: Mel Ott
1B: Pujols
RF: 97/99 Rated Musial
C: Piazza
LF: Henderson
SS: Arky Vaughn
3B: Ron Santo

DH vs LHP

CF: Tris Speaker
DH: Hornsby
C: Piazza
1B: Pujols
RF: 97/99 Rated Musial
LF: Henderson
3B: Ron Santo
SS: Arky Vaughn
2B: Craig Biggio

cbx posted:

Okay Smasher is telling me to get another pitcher so I guess my 1st and 2nd round SD Pick and 2008 Barry Zito (93 rated)?

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 10, 2013

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Boleslaw Wrymouth looked down at the assembled players of his team, the Krakow Dragons, and he was not impressed. Boleslaw was confused: in everything he had tried, he had succeeded. Had he not wrested the Polish throne from his brother? Was it not he who repeatedly threw back the dread German hordes as they assaulted the proud cities of Glogow and Wroclaw? Did he not conquer the heathen Pomeranians and turn their faces towards God's, thereby saving them?

Of course he had, and was, and did; yet why did this motley collection of misfits fail him so? He had heard of the Curse of Ineptitude laid on Sir Laurence of Doby, but he did not believe in curses. Nonetheless, he now desired a competent person to play Center-of-the-field. He did not understand the reasons behind Sir John of Gonzalez's poor hitting, but he retained faith in him yet. At least Sir Raphael of House Palmeiro, a distant and powerful clan (or so his advisers vouchsafed), was striking the ball well. And Sir Charles of Gehringer...he seemed at home too.

King Boleslaw stood and gazed disdainfully at the team.
"Are you not satisfied with your new lives and new city? Do you find my castle uncomfortable? Do you not feast on the finest pierogi and kotlet schabowy, and sup the purest of vodkas?" he boomed regally, like a 12th Century Polish Brian Blessed.

Boleslaw noted that few of the Dragons met his gaze. Perhaps, he reflected, they did not understand him. Base-the-ball was a simple game, for simple folk, and Polish was the most Royal of languages - perhaps they were too simple to comprehend his purpose. No matter. He would trust in them to serve him with honour and love. They knew the price of failure.

In the cave, beneath the Wawel, Smok dozed fitfully.

Boleslaw Wrymouth decrees thus: let the team prove themselves in the fires of battle! Let Sir Royce of House Clayton return when he is healthy! Sir Gregory of Zaun will catch for Prince Hal! And only for him; King Boleslaw recognises royalty and rewards it.

A Proclamation from the Wawel: we do desire a center fielder, preferably one that is not beholden to witchcraft and sorceries! Send to us your ambassadors, so we might treat with them!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

How modern are we talking here?

Within the past 30 years or so.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, it looks like that trade for Rickey Henderson isn't really working out, but thems the breaks. So yeah, I know I need another RP and another SP from.. somewhere. To be fair, Johnson is 0-3 on what looks like appalling luck, and Tanana isn't really this bad, atleast I hope.

Okay Smasher is telling me to get another pitcher so I guess my 1st and 2nd round SD Pick and 2008 Barry Zito (93 rated)?

Zito's never had a good season in the SL. Brown's a legitimate #1 or #2 SP. I'm open to a better offer.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

cbx posted:

Zito's never had a good season in the SL. Brown's a legitimate #1 or #2 SP. I'm open to a better offer.

If you hadn't just announced to the thread that Zito sucks, between four draft picks and Zito's 93-rated recent SP you could've found yourself a starter.

The Oranges appear to have beached themselves: Pujols really, really shouldn't be at third but a move to first benches a career 150 OPS+ Lajoie and left would bench Ser Barrold, while Dick Allen from the minors doesn't really match the offensive output of Pujols...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

oldskool posted:

If you hadn't just announced to the thread that Zito sucks, between four draft picks and Zito's 93-rated recent SP you could've found yourself a starter.

The Oranges appear to have beached themselves: Pujols really, really shouldn't be at third but a move to first benches a career 150 OPS+ Lajoie and left would bench Ser Barrold, while Dick Allen from the minors doesn't really match the offensive output of Pujols...

The draft pool for starters is kinda underwhelming, but your criticism is noted. However, I can't stomach the thought of trading Brown for Zito and getting 2 late round draft picks. Zito would be stashed in the minors and my pitching pre-draft would be miserable. It's a good offer but not one that's blown me away.