Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Gorelab posted:

Yeah, I see Norway winning usually, though in one game somehow William's son immediately got the throne of France somehow, then conquered England which was crazy until the Capets retook their throne and England ended up in some kinda crazy never ending civil war.

I think it's the new morale system they added. Now that fresh levies start out with zero morale, it makes King Harold hold his army back for a while to link up with fresh levies and regenerate morale, so the Stamford Bridge battle never happens. Duke William lands right away, and then the English AI sees the small Norman army and thinks easy victory so it immediately marches down and crushes it every time. Then the Norwegians have a good chance to swoop down and destroy the English army after it gets weakened fighting the Normans. So it's like a weird reverse Stamford Bridge situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Brainamp posted:

Exactly how many concubines can a character have? I managed to secure several through war but wondered if there was a stopping point.

Three. I always set them aside when they hit 30, and try to find a new Genius/Quick concubine.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

SeaTard posted:

Three. I always set them aside when they hit 30, and try to find a new Genius/Quick concubine.
I make sure to keep one around with high Intrigue, too. If anybody's going to get their eyeballs torn out for espionage in Constantinople, it's going to be a random nobody from someone else's court.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Would there happen to be a mod that lets you mass send Intrigue Plot invitations to a whole bunch of characters at once?

Clicking each one, clicking send, clicking Intrigue again, Clicking the invite button, Selecting the next one.....etc...etc... gets very old very fast.

Like say a bunch of checkboxes down the invite list of people that you can just tick to mass invite?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tindahbawx posted:

Would there happen to be a mod that lets you mass send Intrigue Plot invitations to a whole bunch of characters at once?

Clicking each one, clicking send, clicking Intrigue again, Clicking the invite button, Selecting the next one.....etc...etc... gets very old very fast.

Like say a bunch of checkboxes down the invite list of people that you can just tick to mass invite?

Similarly a mod to tell everyone involved in plots to knock it off at once would be nice.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Does making your son a Godi not disqualify him from gavelkind inheritence on succession? I granted three of my sons temples, but then they still inherited counties on my guy's death :( Is that a Catholic-only mechanic, despite it saying "Making him a Godi will disqualify him from succession"?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Tindahbawx posted:

Rightclick on the portrait of the guy you want to invite to the plot in the list of possible plotters and select 'view diplomacy' (or something like that) and you won't need to go back to intrigue all the time due to the list closing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Does the HRE not allow people to join it? As the King of Sicily, my brother-in-law is the head of the HRE, and I want to swear fealty, so I can start expanding inside the HRE. Plus, he's been a pretty cool bro and helped defend me twice when the ERE has declared war on me. I can swear fealty to the ERE, but not the HRE.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Apparently Godis are indeed allowed to inherit, it's only bishops that can't. They changed the mechanic in the beta patch but not the tooltip. Argh :(

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

-110 points for too many titles.
-40 points for levees held too long.

Think I found my rebellion problem.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Every time the doge of my republic dies, the arsenal built in the capital is lost. At first I thought this was a bug, but it's been happening since the The Republic was released, so is it intentional?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Also, is there a convenient list of provinces for each kingdom/empire? Id like to know how many I need to grab before I get a crown.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Well I just tried starting a William the Bastard game in 1066 and it really does seem impossible for him to actually win the invasion now. I held back my army at first to watch the English and Norwegians and their two 30,000 man armies fight it out. The English pulled back at first to bring in fresh levies and regenerate their morale, and had around 31,000 men when they attacked the Norwegians. The Norwegians were down to 27,000 from assaulting the holdings in York and from attrition. Because of this, the English wiped out the Norwegian army while losing around 6,000 men. So they had 25,000 men after the battle. Duke William only starts out with 15.
:ughh:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

LowellDND posted:

Also, is there a convenient list of provinces for each kingdom/empire? Id like to know how many I need to grab before I get a crown.
Open to the title browser in the bottom right, go to the title you're interested in and mouse over the create/usurp button and it'll tell you what you need.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
DrSunshine, do you happen to remember Flintign's (I think it was his) Tweaks mod? It had an additional realm law for council positions. To start off with, all council positions are restricted from Women, beyond the usual Mother/Wife spymaster. If you were at least Ag-Cog, plus I think a few other conditions, you could pass a law that let women hold court positions (i.e. Chancellor, Spymaster, Steward). Then there were two further laws that passed in addition to this rather than replacing them. "+Marshal" Allowed you to appoint women as Marshals, but in order to do this you had to have a woman force her way into the position, and there was a rare Joan of Arc event chain that would trigger if you were losing a war that would create a female brilliant strategist and appoint her Marshal. "+Chaplain" allowed you to appoint women as Court Chaplain, but required you to be a heretic.

I was wondering if you'd consider adapting that format for Girl Power. I'm not sure if it's intentional but I'm seeing women as court chaplains in Catholic realms and women leading armies in the catholic world as a matter of course, and it stretches my disbelief a bit. I want my shieldmaidens and seeresses to be special dammit.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
"Girl Power" is really just meant to alleviate my annoyance at having some "tools" ready-at-hand but unable to use them, with a few minor tweaks and bobs here and there for the sake of amusement and flavor. Not having the other dude's "Tweaks" mod at hand (and never having played it either!) it sounds like what you're proposing would really be way beyond my skills at scripting, and not entirely in the intention of my mod. I'm really rather terrible at all this, and I'm not sure if I could pull off something like that decently!

Also, I think I'm going to hold off on the whole thing about factions for changing the gender succession laws for now, until I can wrap my head around how faction scripting works.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I've had some fun things going on recently. First of all, Old Gods seems to have broken the scoring system...

The other thing is the crazy Petty King of Tripoli, and his family line in general. I'll have to dig back in my saves to see how he came about, but on one of my raids I noticed a small blob in the solid Muslim green of the Middle East

He passed away shortly after, giving the throne to his son...

...who is pretty much the best non-pregenned/player-raised and non-bright/genius ruler I've seen in a long time. Both he and his father are sitting on the only Catholic territory east of the Schism, and have somehow managed to avoid any sort of invasion from the superpowers surrounding them.

And I just now noticed that they are Bretons.

:psyduck:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Out of curiosity, is there a mod that makes the big fuckoff empires a little less stable in computer control? Sure they have their succession crises and civil wars, but I've never seen a large state really balkanize or get any sort of independence movement off the ground without player intervention. The only time I see significant changes in borders is when two massive states breed with each other enough that some lucky sap inherits both France and the HRE or something equally horrifying.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 10, 2013

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

How do boats work? I'm about to storm the beaches of Normandy.

Also, how important is it to set up generals in the battle screen? Thus far, I've just been stacking bigger numbers in fights, but wasn't sure if I needed more finesse as I approached the HRE.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Kalos posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a mod that makes the big fuckoff empires a little less stable in computer control? Sure they have their succession crises and civil wars, but I've never seen a large state really balkanize or get any sort of independence movement off the ground without player intervention. The only time I see significant changes in borders is when two massive states breed with each other enough that some lucky sap inherits both France and the HRE or something equally horrifying.
Yeah I'm really in need of something like this.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
DrSunshine any chance would I be able to get a link to your girl power mod/thread, I'm interested. I like playing female monarchs and I'm constantly frustrated at some of the limitations, personally I'ld love a reverse turkish succession where I can just give a girl some titles and have her automatically first in line.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

LowellDND posted:

How do boats work? I'm about to storm the beaches of Normandy.

Also, how important is it to set up generals in the battle screen? Thus far, I've just been stacking bigger numbers in fights, but wasn't sure if I needed more finesse as I approached the HRE.

Boats! Each ship can hold 100 soldiers. If the soldiers are on a coastal province, they can march into the sea if there's a fleet with enough room in that sea province. Likewise, they can march from a boat onto the shore. Never never do this if there's a decent-sized army waiting for you in that province, though; attacking from the sea gives a massive "amphibious assault" penalty that's even worse than river or strait crossings. Land on an unoccupied province instead, then move them into battle from there.

If you control a holding in a province, you can also dock your ships there. This will automatically disembark your levies without the amphibious assault penalty if they're moving into combat. Likewise, levies on a coastal province can instantly move into a fleet docked there, given enough room. Note that control means that you personally control it; allied holdings don't count, but vassal holdings do, and enemy holdings that you've personally taken in a siege also count.

A good way to take advantage of that last bit is to have a bunch of separate armies sieging provinces that all border the same sea province. Once a holding in a province has fallen, you can park enough ships there to get them out in case of a counterattack. If one of your armies gets stuck in a battle, you can move all your levies into the province quickly. A big factor there is that if you're already in a battle, you can add more troops via amphibious landing and avoid the normal penalty, so shovel troops into that meatgrinder without fear! In fact, sometimes you can lure the AI into attacking a small force on the coast, and then hit them with the bulk of your army that was waiting offshore. That's the main way to deal with the obnoxiously perfect maneuvering the AI can do.

And yes, generals are important. Low-martial commanders (or no commander) can result in really bad penalties to your soldiers' stats, and can get you absolutely stomped. Pay attention to their command perks, too: some characters will have hefty bonuses under the right conditions, so put cavalry commanders in cavalry-heavy flanks, keep flanking commanders on the wings, and so on.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baby game for babies... :smug:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Snatch Duster posted:

Baby game for babies... :smug:
Pff. 1357? Some people aren't Norse? Come back when you've learned to play.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Rejected Fate posted:

Peasant revolts shouldn't be hostile to everyone.

I just lost more of my men to a peasant revolt against the heathen that was ATTACKING me than the heathen himself.

I don't care that you want an independent Frisia, drat it!

No war but the class war.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

Pff. 1357? Some people aren't Norse? Come back when you've learned to play.

Had world conquered in 1174, heh.

Waited for Norse to get that far.

EDIT: Started in Finnmark

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Well I just tried starting a William the Bastard game in 1066 and it really does seem impossible for him to actually win the invasion now. I held back my army at first to watch the English and Norwegians and their two 30,000 man armies fight it out. The English pulled back at first to bring in fresh levies and regenerate their morale, and had around 31,000 men when they attacked the Norwegians. The Norwegians were down to 27,000 from assaulting the holdings in York and from attrition. Because of this, the English wiped out the Norwegian army while losing around 6,000 men. So they had 25,000 men after the battle. Duke William only starts out with 15.
:ughh:

Is this new, though? I've only ever seen William win the Invasion once in all the many, many games I've started in the 1066 start date since the game's release. It seems that Harald Hardrade wins the vast majority of the time, and the handful of times he doesn't it's because the Saxons fought off both invaders.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Is this new, though? I've only ever seen William win the Invasion once in all the many, many games I've started in the 1066 start date since the game's release. It seems that Harald Hardrade wins the vast majority of the time, and the handful of times he doesn't it's because the Saxons fought off both invaders.

I've seen both of them win, so William defeats Harold and promptly gets beaten down by Harald, resulting in England and Normandy both being under the Norwegian crown. Queue 200 years of civil war.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

DrSunshine any chance would I be able to get a link to your girl power mod/thread, I'm interested. I like playing female monarchs and I'm constantly frustrated at some of the limitations, personally I'ld love a reverse turkish succession where I can just give a girl some titles and have her automatically first in line.

Okay, but some people have reported odd crash bugs when running it in combination with other mods, which I have yet to see myself. I'm still perplexed at how this could happen, as the mod changes very very little beyond adding a trait, a new event, and puttering around with some of the availability of various features.

Girl Power

With this version, you will only be able to have female councillors/army leaders if you've already switched to True Cognatic Succession. Also, female councillors other than the spymaster will require an education in that field, or at least 12 in that skill. It's possible, but you won't really be seeing female army leaders and bishops literally everywhere all the time.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 10, 2013

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Is my game bugged? The pope has just declared a crusade for Jerusalem, but when I open the dipl screen of the Caliph we are to attack, it claims I don't have a valid CB to declare war. How else are you supposed to join a crusade?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ButWhatIf posted:

Is my game bugged? The pope has just declared a crusade for Jerusalem, but when I open the dipl screen of the Caliph we are to attack, it claims I don't have a valid CB to declare war. How else are you supposed to join a crusade?

Click the banner on the side (under your leader's portrait) that showed up when the Crusade began. It will show you the Crusade's war screen, and then you click the arrow pointing to the Pope to offer to join his war.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

Okay, but some people have reported odd crash bugs when running it in combination with other mods, which I have yet to see myself. I'm still perplexed at how this could happen, as the mod changes very very little beyond adding a trait, a new event, and puttering around with some of the availability of various features.

Girl Power

With this version, you will only be able to have female councillors/army leaders if you've already switched to True Cognatic Succession. Also, female councillors other than the spymaster will require an education in that field, or at least 12 in that skill. It's possible, but you won't really be seeing female army leaders and bishops literally everywhere all the time.

Do you have a feature list somewhere as to your full list of changes from the base game? Also does it work with old gods or just ICBN or both?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I never expected the Muslims to be so fithly rich in this game. I'm playing as the Emirate of Kalbid in Sicily and only have control of the island portion. I'm making more than all of the doges ruling the merchant republics and more than the Byzantine emperor as well.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I don't know, William would win pretty often for me back when the game first came out, but not all the time. It would seem to change from patch to patch.

Earlier I gave William another go, and I actually won this time, but only after waiting until all the way into 1067 to invade, and only after hiring a bunch of mercenaries. I had to wait until several battles had been fought between the English and Norwegians over a period of months. I also started out with 1000 gold, so mercenaries were no problem. I don't see how the AI could win on its own though. I've played as William multiple times when the game first came out, and I don't remember it ever being this hard either. I've certainly never had to use mercenaries. I remember it being pretty easy when the game first came out, and the only thing I would have to worry about was William dying suddenly in battle against all those tiny stacks raised underneath my army over and over again, before they programmed the AI to not do that. I remember I had more than one game where William would die a glorious death in battle against 5 men.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 10, 2013

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Kalos posted:

I might try my hand at something like that if there isn't one already. There should be a chance for the big empires to fall under the right circumstances. It'd be nice if a combination of plague, religious turmoil, class warfare, succession crises, civil wars or massive invasions could actually make a difference if they get out of hand instead of maybe breaking away one part or causing a temporary rift. CK2+ had a good civil war/faction system but even then it didn't seem like empires ever broke up on their own.

There seem to be a lot of civil wars that look like an empire is breaking apart but really the rebels just want something like lower taxes or lower crown authority. Then once they win they go back to being loyal vassals to the same ruler like nothing ever happened. If you're going to go that far and risk everything just so you have to pay lower taxes you'd think that you'd rather just become independent and not pay anyone or try to take the throne for yourself and trigger a succession war.

Plus it's the peasants who are really paying when the taxes get raised but they don't react. Is there any chance of a real peasants war or religious civil war in vanilla? I've never seen one but usually I have to give up on a game around 1200 because there's so many characters the game starts to grind to a halt.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do you have a feature list somewhere as to your full list of changes from the base game? Also does it work with old gods or just ICBN or both?

I don't, but I could make one, right here, right now.

Features
  • True Cognatic Succession available to anyone with high or absolute crown authority
  • Female Councillors available with True Cognatic Succession law
  • Female Councillors will require a martial/theological/stewardship/diplomatic education or at least 12 in those respective skills
  • A new trait Born on the Battlefield for children born to pregnant women leading armies, that gives a bonus to martial and prestige
  • Norse can designate martially talented women as Shieldmaidens, an honorary title that confers +20 relations and a bonus to prestige

It works with Old Gods, but I don't know what ICBN is!

Oh yes, Sonendar for v.1.10 is available.

Things about my own mod that I don't understand yet (in other words, bugs which I am too unskilled at modding at to even begin to know how to fix):

• Boats cannot traverse the supposedly traversable river to get to the big lake at the center
  • Followers of The Deep Reaver supposedly can loot for wealth, but when they land on a province, they don't loot
  • Everyone starts off at tech level 6.5 or 7.
  • Religion icons are weirdly messed-up

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 10, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
You can get thrown out of a republic?! :psyduck:

I designated my genius 5 year old as heir and suddenly I lost all my poo poo and got kicked out, turning into a regular count.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Click the banner on the side (under your leader's portrait) that showed up when the Crusade began. It will show you the Crusade's war screen, and then you click the arrow pointing to the Pope to offer to join his war.

Ah ha, thank you! Now finally maybe the pope will like me enough to have my filthy faction-leading brother excommunicated!

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

DrSunshine posted:

I don't, but I could make one, right here, right now.

Features
  • True Cognatic Succession available to anyone with high or absolute crown authority
  • Female Councillors available with True Cognatic Succession law
  • Female Councillors will require a martial/theological/stewardship/diplomatic education or at least 12 in those respective skills
  • A new trait Born on the Battlefield for children born to pregnant women leading armies, that gives a bonus to martial and prestige
  • Norse can designate martially talented women as Shieldmaidens, an honorary title that confers +20 relations and a bonus to prestige

It works with Old Gods, but I don't know what ICBN is!

Oh yes, Sonendar for v.1.10 is available.

Things about my own mod that I don't understand yet (in other words, bugs which I am too unskilled at modding at to even begin to know how to fix):

• Boats cannot traverse the supposedly traversable river to get to the big lake at the center
  • Followers of The Deep Reaver supposedly can loot for wealth, but when they land on a province, they don't loot
  • Everyone starts off at tech level 6.5 or 7.
  • Religion icons are weirdly messed-up

Can born on the battlefield have an icon of Revolver Ocelot or a picture of The Boss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Goddamn people live way too long in vanilla CK2. As fun as it is playing a superdude into his 80s, it can really play hell with succession.

• Locked thread