Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Lone Goat posted:

I wonder if the AH is going to a straight list with Bids and Buyouts like WOW/D3, or if it's going to use a Ask/Bid style like in EVE.

It's likely to be a standard bid/buyout. I'm pretty sure there's a video with the AH featured and you can see the categories. I'd link it, but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

I wonder if the AH is going to a straight list with Bids and Buyouts like WOW/D3, or if it's going to use a Ask/Bid style like in EVE.

I totally want an Ask/Bid style EVE market but they have those stupid double backs so it will probably be a traditional AH. Auction houses are actually really terrible interfaces for buying and selling something like cards which are more of a commodity unlike for example D3 with random item stats and I feel like the double back is nothing but a gimmick but whatever.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Aw crap I forgot about that nonsense. So I guess market valuations will be slightly different with Card A with 0 XP and Card B with 80% XP until it "levels" into a foil card.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Kairos posted:

access to a 'goldfishing' tool that lets you test out the way your deck draws without an opponent.

Either I'm misunderstanding what you mean here, or this is something that's already been shown to exist for all users in the deck building UI (same as what MTGO has, too).

Also, where's this info coming from? I'm clearly missing a source :) (still grumped that hextcg.com lacks native RSS, too...)

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I wouldn't care about the difference between 0% and 80% personally. If I want it to play with, I'll take it from 0% and make the card a foil myself. If I want to collect it, I'll go for the already-foil so I don't have to play a bunch of games featuring the card to get it shiny. There's some room for minor valuation changes but those are almost certainly going to come down to personal preference (stupidity?) and be ignored for general trade value.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Aw crap I forgot about that nonsense. So I guess market valuations will be slightly different with Card A with 0 XP and Card B with 80% XP until it "levels" into a foil card.
They could make experience reset when it changes hands, and that could work in multiple ways. If the card is already foil it stays foil, but if it's not it is like you bought a fresh card. Doing it any other way is going to introduce needless complication or ignore potential value.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I doubt they are going to reset cards when they put so much into them keeping track of just about everything they do. It would be more complicated doing buy/sell orders when there could be several different variations of the same card compared to just listing the card and letting the buyer inspect it to see if it's clean, foil, won some tournament, unlocked the extended art or whatever they are looking for.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SilverMike posted:

I wouldn't care about the difference between 0% and 80% personally. If I want it to play with, I'll take it from 0% and make the card a foil myself. If I want to collect it, I'll go for the already-foil so I don't have to play a bunch of games featuring the card to get it shiny. There's some room for minor valuation changes but those are almost certainly going to come down to personal preference (stupidity?) and be ignored for general trade value.

What I mean is that if I have three different Pack Raptors and one has dealt 0 damage, one has dealt 50 damage, and one has dealt 1000 damage, that they are all different cards and can't be treated as functionally identical. Looking at the double-back, there's a lot of granularity to each card which means that they'll need to be inspectable while in the AH.

Personally, I don't care about which version is which and will definitely just buy whichever is cheapest, but because there is that difference in each individual card, it's impossible to treat all Pack Raptors as identical.

Khorne posted:

They could make experience reset when it changes hands, and that could work in multiple ways. If the card is already foil it stays foil, but if it's not it is like you bought a fresh card. Doing it any other way is going to introduce needless complication or ignore potential value.

Yeah, this is an easy fix if Cryptozoic determines this is something "worth fixing".

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

What I mean is that if I have three different Pack Raptors and one has dealt 0 damage, one has dealt 50 damage, and one has dealt 1000 damage, that they are all different cards and can't be treated as functionally identical. Looking at the double-back, there's a lot of granularity to each card which means that they'll need to be inspectable while in the AH.

Personally, I don't care about which version is which and will definitely just buy whichever is cheapest, but because there is that difference in each individual card, it's impossible to treat all Pack Raptors as identical.

Yeah, this is an easy fix if Cryptozoic determines this is something "worth fixing".
I think, realistically, experience might be an account bound thing to begin with. If you have 4 pack raptors they will likely all have the same stats, and whether you have 8 or 30 shouldn't matter. Having a "lucky pack raptor" could appeal to the ridiculous side of card nerds, but it just sounds kind of needlessly complicated to track things that way. It obfuscates most of the statistics displayed, because you don't need stats on four separate instances of the same card.

Then again, it literally says "your card" so maybe it is individually. The foil thing would also work kind of weird if it were generalized. Who knows. I know if I were designing or programming I'd definitely go for a more generalized, account-centric approach. If you sell the card it would sell as the normal version, and if you obtained a new one it'd be foil for you because you already leveled that card on your account.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 10, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Maybe they could just have a filter for whether or not you give a poo poo

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

If I had 8 pack raptors and they all turned foil because I got to some experience threshold on the ones I was using seems kind of weird. So then you could never sell a foil card? I understand completely that a lot of people aren't going to care about what's on the back of the card but I really like that each card is unique and has it's own experience. You can tell they put a lot of work into the "doubleback" and I don't see them throwing that away just to have one kind of auction house over another.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I doubt it, but curious if people would actually pay more for some of the odder stuff kept track of on the double backs. A mangled zombie that was used in the deck of the winner of Mega Tourney XYZ, is still just a mangled zombie. I wouldn't be surprised if that's account based though and exp/etc. gets reset if it trades hands.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Question about equipment: does each piece of equipment only affect 1 card? Or are there gonna be some that say "This bonus to card X, that bonus to card Y"?

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
They have said every card is unique and will keep all its stats across trades. I don't think thats really interesting and I don't think many others do either and it has the negative of almost forcing you to use an AH system or trying to come up with a weird workaround. They really should just scrap the idea or change how it works but I don't know if they will because then you will have a bunch of people freaking out that that CZE didn't fulfill their expectations.

Jonny Angel posted:

Question about equipment: does each piece of equipment only affect 1 card? Or are there gonna be some that say "This bonus to card X, that bonus to card Y"?

I don't remember this being addressed besides the fact that equipment is equipped to the character and not onto the card so I think it could be possible but maybe not if they want to limit the amount of cards that that you can modify in a deck.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

bitprophet posted:

Either I'm misunderstanding what you mean here, or this is something that's already been shown to exist for all users in the deck building UI (same as what MTGO has, too).

Also, where's this info coming from? I'm clearly missing a source :) (still grumped that hextcg.com lacks native RSS, too...)

It's on the Kickstarter page, from when they announced the VIP stretch goal. (It's also in the OP.)

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I doubt it, but curious if people would actually pay more for some of the odder stuff kept track of on the double backs. A mangled zombie that was used in the deck of the winner of Mega Tourney XYZ, is still just a mangled zombie. I wouldn't be surprised if that's account based though and exp/etc. gets reset if it trades hands.

They absolutely will, to an absurd degree. People pay out the rear end for internet dress-up prestige, and that will be the closest that Hex will have to dress-up prestige.(outside of deck sleeves).

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Why on earth would you make exp account based? Letting people sell their foils just gives people more ways to generate profit through play without actually impacting the raw supply of cards. I like the idea that someone else can grind out full-art or foil cards and I can just buy those if I want to pimp.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Karnegal posted:

Why on earth would you make exp account based? Letting people sell their foils just gives people more ways to generate profit through play without actually impacting the raw supply of cards. I like the idea that someone else can grind out full-art or foil cards and I can just buy those if I want to pimp.

I agree, and I think that some of the things on the doubleback are going to add value for some people. You know there are going to be people who want a set of every card that's never been played and I would assume those would be more valuable than a used card if they do things like discontinuing the sale of boosters from old sets.

Jonny Angel posted:

From the website:

quote:

Every piece of equipment in the game is associated with a card. Each card has two or three pieces of equipment.

So yea, i interpret that as equipment is card specific. They said there are legendary sets or whatever that if you wear all the equipment it might affect more than one card. ( I assume it probably gives you an ability or something, but who knows. )

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Plus, some competitive players want all their copies of a particular card to look identical, so as not to give away information. Having cards that change appearance makes that difficult to manage, unless you can turn off the changes and have the basic version of the card shown to your opponents, even if you have the fully leveled version.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I hope the transforming cards unlock extended art / foils for the cards they turn into, like Ascetic Aspirant into The Transcended :allears:

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

Konstantin posted:

Plus, some competitive players want all their copies of a particular card to look identical, so as not to give away information. Having cards that change appearance makes that difficult to manage, unless you can turn off the changes and have the basic version of the card shown to your opponents, even if you have the fully leveled version.

They've said that you can turn off the changes already. I don't know if it's general or per-card, but it's not just a display option on your side, since the concept of giving information to the opponent was discussed in relation to this.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
I feel so stupid. :saddowns:

I had mistakenly thought that you'd put equipment onto the cards themselves ("Each card has two or three pieces of equipment. Collect them all!"). I thought that if you collected 50 pieces of equipment (with, say, 2 affecting a card), you'd be able to equip 25 cards at once and kind of just choose which you wanted to put in your deck.

Now I find that I'm dumb and it's actually your champion/mercenary who will be equipped with that stuff, not the cards themselves. Your champ/merc has 6 equipment slots, so you can only use 6 pieces of equipment at a time (whatever you equip then goes on to affect the specific cards).

DarkFact
Sep 8, 2003

Just as planned!
Happy to have found this thread at last, looked everywhere and I understand it's tricky as to where to put it on the forums.

Eagerly awaiting Alpha/Beta like everyone else, pledged Pro+King so I'll have a good overflow of cards to do PvE/PvP and mess around. For now, the game looks like a bigger duels of the plainswalkers game with deckbuilding and honestly that's all I could've ever wanted, but if the other aspects are cool enough then welcome. Rather excited for 'hardmode' dungeons too where you can only have 1 copy of any given card in your deck, this'll be a good timewaster.

I just hope people who find hearthstone unfulfilling will eventually gravitate toward this game. If that happens then this game should be good for awhile.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

DarkFact posted:

Happy to have found this thread at last, looked everywhere and I understand it's tricky as to where to put it on the forums.

Just a tip, you could have typed this into google: "site:somethingawful.com hex". How I find out if there's a thread for anything, even though I have the account upgrade and can use the search. :downs:

edit: VVV I guess the only situations where I wonder if there's a thread for something is for a game :(

the Gaffe fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 10, 2013

DarkFact
Sep 8, 2003

Just as planned!
I actually JUST bought platinum 2 minutes ago because 10 years on these forums and I browse almost nothing else for my daily shenanigans so what am I waiting for, especially after posting that.

Some forums are restricted from google so that doesn't work all the time, so... yeah.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

A buddy has been bugging me to try this out, and I have a couple of questions:

As I understand it, it's in beta now, not alpha. The donate page only lists alpha access under the slacker backer option. Does it give you beta access too?

How expensive is building a deck? Can you buy individual cards, or do you have to buy a million $2 boosters until you have the cards you want?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jack the Lad posted:

As I understand it, it's in beta now, not alpha. The donate page only lists alpha access under the slacker backer option. Does it give you beta access too?

How expensive is building a deck? Can you buy individual cards, or do you have to buy a million $2 boosters until you have the cards you want?

Your questions are not ones we can really answer yet. The Kickstater just ended and we haven't heard about alpha and beta starting yet.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

Not sure where you got your information from but Beta isn't until September with Alpha starting a few weeks earlier, so sometime in August most likely. If you missed out on the kickstarter (which it sounds like you did) your only choice is to get the Slacker Backer option. After that all there is to do is wait. :(

edit: I suppose as far as your questions go we can sort of answer them based on what we know right now. For PvP, cards will be coming from booster packs. For PvE, you'll be getting the cards as rewards and loot drops for progressing through the dungeons and doing quests. In both cases you'll be able to buy/sell/trade for specific cards on the Auction House.

No one knows how expensive building a deck will be since we haven't even seen the full set or have any idea how the market will play out, but we DO know boosters will be $2 a pack, with a $4 VIP monthly subscription that will get you 4 packs a month (effectively meaning they cost $1 each). Unopened boosters can also be sold on the AH so with the extreme flood of them from the KS it's possible you'll be able to find them cheaper there for quite awhile.

Also, since cards can be listed on the AH for gold (in-game currency generated from PvE) or platinum (the "real money" currency), there is the possibility of being able to sell good PvE cards/loot for plat and turn around and buy PvP cards (or obviously you could straight trade for them if you found someone wanting to do so), but this almost entirely depends on how the economy develops and what the cards end up being worth, and we won't know that until the game is out.

cathead fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 10, 2013

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

The kickstarter just ended friday, and the game is currently pre-alpha. Beta is scheduled for September, and alpha a few weeks before that.

If the economy is anything life MTGO, basically everything will be cheap as hell except chase rares.

E:fb. I'm just going to stop answering questions while on my phone

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

Jack the Lad posted:

It's currently in alpha, although based on what we've seen so far it's generally a beta-quality alpha. It's not running yet, though. It's supposed to be two or three weeks before the beta itself starts (which is supposed to be sometime in September).

You'll get beta access as well as alpha access. It's not worded very well, but once your account has access to the game they won't just turn it off.

There will be an auction house for players to sell cards, so if you just want specific cards you can buy them for whatever market value ends up being, either in gold (in-game currency) or platinum (real money currency).

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Ah right, okay.

Can you earn gold by PvPing to buy PvP cards, or will PvP definitely require a real money spend?

$50 buyin and then presumably at least the same again to make one deck is pretty unattractive.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You get two starter decks and 25 boosters. If you either use the boosters to draft or crack them for singles, you should be able to make a reasonable deck pretty quickly.

Are you intending on making the most powerful deck available or do you just want a reasonably good deck to have fun with?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

Ah right, okay.

Can you earn gold by PvPing to buy PvP cards, or will PvP definitely require a real money spend?

$50 buyin and then presumably at least the same again to make one deck is pretty unattractive.

Yeah I think you're massively overestimating the cost here. You're assuming that a "good deck" is nothing but a bunch of super-expensive power cards, which is almost never the case. Especially with the flood of set 1 boosters from the kickstarter I'm almost sure you'll be able to put together a decent constructed deck without a whole lot of money.

There's also the concept of draft tournaments which, besides just plain being fun and helping make you a better player, can get you significantly better value out of your boosters if you get good at drafting and manage to win a decent amount of the time.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Yeah, you get to pick a free (untradeable) starter deck on joining in addition to the extra one Slacker Backer gets. Presumably so you can't screw yourself out of being able to play.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Some Numbers posted:

You get two starter decks and 25 boosters. If you either use the boosters to draft or crack them for singles, you should be able to make a reasonable deck pretty quickly.

Are you intending on making the most powerful deck available or do you just want a reasonably good deck to have fun with?

I'm not super concerned about winning tournaments, but I think I'd get bored of one deck pretty quickly. The thought of coming up with a cool deck idea and then having to spend a bunch of cash to be able to build and play it sucks.

cathead posted:

Yeah I think you're massively overestimating the cost here. You're assuming that a "good deck" is nothing but a bunch of super-expensive power cards, which is almost never the case. Especially with the flood of set 1 boosters from the kickstarter I'm almost sure you'll be able to put together a decent constructed deck without a whole lot of money.

I'm mostly thinking of Magic, where it's hard to make a constructed deck that doesn't include playsets of at least a couple of $8-15 rares.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 10, 2013

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm not super concerned about winning tournaments, but I think I'd get bored of one deck pretty quickly. The thought of coming up with a cool deck idea and then having to spend a bunch of cash to be able to build and play it sucks.

I'm mostly thinking of Magic, where it's hard to make a constructed deck that doesn't include playsets of at least a couple of $8-15 rares.

Yeah, like I said before we won't really know for sure until the game is out, but I think the flood of Set 1 cards from all the Kickstarter rewards will keep the prices relatively low at first.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

cathead posted:

Yeah, like I said before we won't really know for sure until the game is out, but I think the flood of Set 1 cards from all the Kickstarter rewards will keep the prices relatively low at first.

Okay - fingers crossed!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Also, we're going to get user-run leagues at some point post-launch (with the capacity to charge entrance fees which go into a prize pot and so on). One popular Magic format is pauper, which only allows use of commons and is therefore incredibly cheap to buy into. CZE have said they'll run occasional official pauper tournaments, and I'd be amazed if no-one puts together a big pauper league.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Also, we're going to get user-run leagues at some point post-launch (with the capacity to charge entrance fees which go into a prize pot and so on). One popular Magic format is pauper, which only allows use of commons and is therefore incredibly cheap to buy into. CZE have said they'll run occasional official pauper tournaments, and I'd be amazed if no-one puts together a big pauper league.

Hell, between the fuckload of boosters from the Kickstarter and Drafts being cheap, you'll probably be able to put together a full selection of the best pauper decks for approximately $free. There's going to be a glut of commons so large people will probably won't be able to give the drat things away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Don't forget that you can destroy cards to get crafting materials. We don't know what we can do with crafting materials yet, but there may not be quite as much of a glut of cards as people are saying.

• Locked thread