Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Does everyone think WTT is better than Cruel Summer? Other way round for me all day long. Jay seemed like he was sleeping the whole way through that album.

Although, I might like Cruel Summer better just because Pusha is probably my favourite rapper right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mickolution posted:

Jay seemed like he was sleeping the whole way through that album.

That is what Jay does on every track he's on these days but I still like Watch the Throne better than Cruel Summer.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

thathonkey posted:

That is what Jay does on every track he's on these days but I still like Watch the Throne better than Cruel Summer.

Fair point on Jay.

Both have excellent production, but I just think I like some of the rappers better on Cruel Summer than what either do on WTT, mainly Push (I'm probably looking forward to his album more than Kanye's at this point), as I said above. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I didn't realise I was was in such a minority :).

Both would probably be better with a few tracks trimmed off them.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Cruel Summer would have been much better as a six-track (the first six tracks) EP. The fact that most were released long before the album didn't help things.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I really liked Cruel Summer, but I didn't pay much attention to the whole GOOD Music thing until the album dropped. Only song I heard from it beforehand was Mercy so everything just felt fresh to me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Cruel Summer has weird beats that just plain aren't as good as the ones on Watch The Throne.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

scary ghost dog posted:

Cruel Summer has weird beats that just plain aren't as good as the ones on Watch The Throne.

New God Flow would like a word with you.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

As does Clique.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Basically, both (like about 90% of albums) could be boiled down to a smaller set of great songs. I think there are a few more I listen to regularly on Cruel Summer than on Watch the Throne, but both have real bangers on them.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Cruel summer was some next level beats paired with big Sean and 2 chainz making GBS threads out half assed lyrics.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It's kinda cheating but I really loving like the beat in "I Don't Like". And Pusha/Ye's verses are so good.

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010

illcendiary posted:

Cruel Summer would have been much better as a six-track (the first six tracks) EP. The fact that most were released long before the album didn't help things.

Yea, I had overplayed them way too much that when the actual release came I was already bored. New God Flow, Mercy, Cold, I Don't Like are great tracks that I still listen to though.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

It's kinda cheating but I really loving like the beat in "I Don't Like". And Pusha/Ye's verses are so good.

Couldn't agree more. I slept on Cruel Summer until about a couple months ago (no idea how that happened) and enjoy it more than I don't.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 9, 2013

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

New God Flow is amazing, but I feel that it actually undercuts arguments about the strength of the Cruel Summer LP because I find the album version to be inferior to the single. Ghostface's verse seems incredibly dated and out-of-sync with the rest of the song.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Dave47 posted:

Ghostface's verse seems incredibly dated and out-of-sync with the rest of the song.

What? A) Ghostface owns in any/every context, and, B) regardless his verse is way better than the lovely boot camp chant that it replaced. Anything is better than that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I still need to get a copy of Cruel Summer one of these days. I've heard Mercy and Clique like a hundred times each, but I don't know...I knew it had been released at some point, but I just never actually got a hold of it. I really enjoyed WTT and like Mercy and Clique, so is it safe to say that I'll like the rest of the album? I'm a fan of Kanye collaborating with everyone in the known universe.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
No it's not safe to say because Mercy and Clique are two out of the 4-5 songs worth listening to from Cruel Sunmer. The album is garbage after the first half which is why everyone is saying it shoulda been an EP

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I think Cruel Summer is pretty great outside of Creepers, Sin City, and Higher(sorry, Dream. I still love you).

Young Chop is a god.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

new stage, new stage pass, new yeezy t-minus 1 hour

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
new stuff. warning: no quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRQ0gWLzEKA

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
Apparently Watch the Throne 2 is in the works, but they need to get their respective commitments out of the way first, Kanye with the new album and Jay-Z with the Mrs. Carter World Tour.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I hope this means a second tour I couldn't go to the last and I'm not about to miss it again.

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
http://www.nowthisnews.com/news/kanye-west-debuts-i-am-god-governors-ball/?utm_source=newsroom&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=newsroom

I am a god. Sounds like the Skrillex track.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rumor has it that I Am A God was produced by Daft Punk.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is so loving dope. God drat, why can't this album come out today :negative:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That sounds so awesome. Really can't wait to hear this album.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Pitchfork collected three new songs that debuted at the governor's ball.

That skinhead song already had me skeptical, this stuff is pretty weak too. Probably skipping the album, hopefully there's at least one song that's actually catchy, or fun.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Holy shiiiiiit all this new stuff is right up my alley. He's becoming the Reznor of Hip hop (if he wasn't already).

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 10, 2013

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Anaranjado posted:

That skinhead song already had me skeptical, this stuff is pretty weak too. Probably skipping the album, hopefully there's at least one song that's actually catchy, or fun.

Going by that logic, you've skipped over 5 years of Kanye's stuff.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uiHA0bXzMrI#!

I don't know if this has a title or what, but this beat :stonk:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Albums Kanye released before his mother's death:

College Dropout
Late Registration
Graduation

Albums Kanye released after his mother's death:

808s & Heartbreak
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Watch the Throne / Cruel Summer

I think you could see a trend here.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Organic Robot posted:

Going by that logic, you've skipped over 5 years of Kanye's stuff.

Otis? In Paris? It's not like Kanye just stopped making catchy stuff. Hell, Mercy and Clique were both pretty catchy too, and those were out less than a year ago.

I don't expect the guy to make another Gold Digger or We Major or Good Life, but those songs had something to them. This new stuff seems so halfassed. Clearly dude doesn't give a poo poo about pleasing anybody, which is fine, whatever makes you happy, but he was so good at making those fantastic inescapable songs, it's kind of a shame he's traded that in for screaming over tnght leftovers, or whatever you want to call that I Am A God song.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I just talked to Jesus
He said what up Yeezus
I said poo poo I'm chilling
Trying to stack these millions

This is exactly what I want from Kanye. He's a self-serious Lonely Island with hotter beats I can work out to.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Anaranjado posted:

Otis? In Paris? It's not like Kanye just stopped making catchy stuff. Hell, Mercy and Clique were both pretty catchy too, and those were out less than a year ago.

I mostly meant the "fun" part of that comment. Graduation was maybe, maybe the last fun solo album he's made. Not that it's a bad thing.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Not For Sale @ Milk

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The_Rob posted:

Cruel summer was some next level beats paired with big Sean and 2 chainz making GBS threads out half assed lyrics.

Don't you say a goddamn word about 2 Chainz. Best rapper on that album

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

the 2 Chainz verse on Mercy is the best one on the album

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
yeezy holding a listening party with cellphones allowed. he doesn't seem to care if it leaks all of a sudden.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Keef on one of the hooks which means he has both Daft Punk and Chief Keef on the same album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
This link has gathered some reactions and Vines from the listening party:

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2013/06/kanye-west-yeezus-album-listening/

Some people are saying it's a dance album. I can't wait any longer for June 18th to come

• Locked thread