Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This is the worst tournament yet, by far :effort:

ed: At least this Doomsday is pretty cool.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

WarEternal posted:

This is the worst tournament yet, by far :effort:

ed: At least this Doomsday is pretty cool.

I'm disappointed Michaelangelo and Woundcowboy didn't make the trip, but then I guess I don't have a good grasp of how far away Des Moines is from Norcal.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
West coast truly is the worst coast. I swear we've seen only 4 characters this whole time. Batman, Superman, Batgirl, Deathstroke.

Oh, well a single Doomsday I guess.

E: and the Doomsday wins. Hooray. I want those 2 hours of my life back!

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 10, 2013

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Equilibrium posted:

I'm disappointed Michaelangelo and Woundcowboy didn't make the trip, but then I guess I don't have a good grasp of how far away Des Moines is from Norcal.

Hahaha, yeah, that's hella far.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

gannyGrabber posted:

West coast truly is the worst coast. I swear we've seen only 4 characters this whole time. Batman, Superman, Batgirl, Deathstroke.

And Wonder Woman and F. Champ's Sinestro (who lost in pools) and Black Adam.

It isn't really worse than most others in that sense.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more

gannyGrabber posted:

E: and the Doomsday wins. Hooray. I want those 2 hours of my life back!

West coast? I'm not from the states but I thought Des Moines was in Iowa?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

West coast? I'm not from the states but I thought Des Moines was in Iowa?

This tourney is in Seattle.

E: wait no it's in Des Moines, WA which I wasn't aware existed.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

This tourney is in Seattle.

Yeah, it's between Seattle and Tacoma.

They should probably just say it's in Seattle or something. If it was in Federal Way I bet they'd be saying Seattle.

Also, it doesn't seem like many people from outside the PNW are in this at all, at least not names that I recognize from other tourneys.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

Hah, me either, I just assumed IA, well then...

That Doomsday played really smart, made him look totally braindead and easy. I think I'm going to start playing more Doomsday.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
It's really a shame because that Joey-something (Batgirl player) was going nuts yesterday. Today we was playing awful and ended up switching to Deathstroke. What are you supposed to do when Doomsday has trait up? And how do you block that little stomp chop?

sponsz
Aug 28, 2005

By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!

Seymour Butts posted:

It's really a shame because that Joey-something (Batgirl player) was going nuts yesterday. Today we was playing awful and ended up switching to Deathstroke. What are you supposed to do when Doomsday has trait up? And how do you block that little stomp chop?

When Doomsday has trait up you can d1 over and over and interrupt whatever he's doing. Also he loses real armor on his moves like MB Venom and replaces it with crappy trait armor, so his shoulder rush gets a lot easier to stuff. You block df2 high then low, it's pretty hard to do online but totally possible offline. The worst things to do when he has trait are to get scared and let him do whatever he wants, or to do strings of your own, because he'll always recover faster then you.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

sponsz posted:

When Doomsday has trait up you can d1 over and over and interrupt whatever he's doing.

Does this work with Wonder Woman too? D12 might be better for her? I normally just try and runaway when I see his trait.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Okay, some help here please.

How can I deal with spammer Deathstrokes using Bane? They're always running and when I catch them always use the Sword spin on wake up to get away

I'm also having a really hard time with Scorpion to deal with an experienced Nightwing on staff stance, dude's a pressure monster with that staff :saddowns:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How can I deal with spammer Deathstrokes using Bane? They're always running and when I catch them always use the Sword spin on wake up to get away

Abuse them venom charge armor frames all day, every day.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Yardbomb posted:

It's pretty hard for Scorpion to top this too. You could try n.j2, or whatever his largest jumping hitbox move is, on Scorpion and see if that helps.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oh god, I've been trying to get really good with Deathstroke lately and figure out real combos with him, but sometimes you just gotta let fly. Played against a Raven who just spammed her straight shot and her dumb grabs the whole fight when I was playing Shazam, I couldn't hit rematch and pick Deathstroke hard enough when they picked Raven again.

You wanna play the pokey spam game? Nobody out-spams Slade. :black101:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Is there anyway to make PSN invites/messages make a noise or something. I always miss the little notification.

Also just out of curiosity, did anyone else aside from me buy the game just for a comic book character?

Edit: looks like it's not meant to be tonight Voodoo.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 10, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yardbomb posted:

Granted, I'm not that great of a player but the armor frames aren't enough to pass through a full screen rifle barrage. And when I elude that jumping the goddamed MB grenade drops me to square one :argh:

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Also just out of curiosity, did anyone else aside from me buy the game just for a comic book character?

I did it, but in my case is characters. I actually don't give a drat for Marvel (aside of Spiderman) but DC? Sign me right the gently caress up! :flashfap:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I did it, but in my case is characters. I actually don't give a drat for Marvel (aside of Spiderman) but DC? Sign me right the gently caress up! :flashfap:

Good to know I'm not the only one (Even if it is just 1 character for me.). If I had a Mic you'd hear nothing but the Wonder Woman dance mix theme song while I was playing, so I guess it's best for everyone I don't have a mic.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Granted, I'm not that great of a player but the armor frames aren't enough to pass through a full screen rifle barrage. And when I elude that jumping the goddamed MB grenade drops me to square one :argh:

Bait it into a block. Then follow with Venom Charge.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The correct answer is block and dash, especially with banes improved dash. Venom charge is a bad, highly projected move most of the time and trying to do it from any distance isn't going to catch a good deathstroke. The rifle shot is really deathstrokes worst projectile because it has the highest recovery and guarantees a free dash in. If you're new to big body grappler types then the first thing you need to learn is how to patiently make your way in and take an opening when you get it. Bait and block the sword spin, its like -24 on block if they do the flip spin move so any chain will punish it.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Well, Calamity and I found out how to bug the Water Valve on the ends of Atlantis. If one player activates the environment, and another does a b3MB and hits, the intractable will no longer exist. Supermoves do not reset them. 100% replicable.

It's a sad day, but that's a pretty big bug, for what was supposed to be the best. :suicide:

Edit: Good practice session, man. Learned some neat things about Scorpion, and some broken things about The Flash. Why can he duck under the Atlantis Broken Bug Water Valve?

Unbound fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 10, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Good to know I'm not the only one (Even if it is just 1 character for me.). If I had a Mic you'd hear nothing but the Wonder Woman dance mix theme song while I was playing, so I guess it's best for everyone I don't have a mic.

If anything, this means you now need to get that mic.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Unbound posted:

Well, Calamity and I found out how to bug the Water Valve on the ends of Atlantis. If one player activates the environment, and another does a b3MB and hits, the intractable will no longer exist. Supermoves do not reset them. 100% replicable.

It's a sad day, but that's a pretty big bug, for what was supposed to be the best. :suicide:

Edit: Good practice session, man. Learned some neat things about Scorpion, and some broken things about The Flash. Why can he duck under the Atlantis Broken Bug Water Valve?

I think any character can duck the water valve if you're far enough away from it.

I'm really tired of seeing Scorpions online. I try my best to play patiently as Black Adam and punish the teleports, but I always get caught by some bullshit j.3 or I go for a footdive and lose 30% of my health or it turns out I didn't hold my left stick down at a perfect 90-degree angle so I don't even block the teleport anyways.

Next time I see a Scorpion I'm just going to pick Doomsday, see how the teleport holds up against a whole bunch of armor.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Perfect Legend's tips for defending against Scorpion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBD-_W_h-Bo

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Unbound posted:

Glad to know I'm gonna have to be more patient than you if I wanna win. Which reminds me, thanks for those like 15 matches of Scorpion x Sinestro that we got in the other day. The things I learned seem to work well on any projectile heavy character.

Yeah! it's always fun to go through some back to back sets since I usually play ranked and only get to fight a Scorpion like every dozen games. So it's good practice to grind it out and focus on match-up specific strategy.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I think Fortress of Solitude is my favorite map. So many people immediately go for the spiky thing in the air and it gives me a free hit. Plus it's rather well balanced.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm really tired of seeing Scorpions online. I try my best to play patiently as Black Adam and punish the teleports, but I always get caught by some bullshit j.3 or I go for a footdive and lose 30% of my health or it turns out I didn't hold my left stick down at a perfect 90-degree angle so I don't even block the teleport anyways.

Next time I see a Scorpion I'm just going to pick Doomsday, see how the teleport holds up against a whole bunch of armor.

Analog sticks on controllers are loving garbage because diagonals take up nearly all of the room on them, which is fine in games that accept every single possible direction but absolutely impossible to deal with in fighting games, especially ones that care a lot about the directions you press. Use your d-pad (or if you're using a 360 controller, cry).

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

CharlestonJew posted:

I think any character can duck the water valve if you're far enough away from it.

Nope, it's entirely dependent upon hitboxes and some characters' (such as Scorpion) are so big that they'll eat it no matter what. It was particularly striking because Flash and Scorpion are the same type of character yet their crouching hitboxes are vastly different. Flash can duck it at any range :clint:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Sorry for spamming air down tiara but I hate Grundy being anywhere near me.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Sorry for spamming air down tiara but I hate Grundy being anywhere near me.

That's actually really dangerous for you. Her recovery on that air tiara throw is so long that if the Grundy armors it with Walking Corpse and then cancels out of the throw portion, he's almost surely got time to dash forward and still land a d2 into 11~Trait Grab before Wonder Woman lands.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Well he didn't know that.... shhhh.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
I actually did that a few times earlier, but I was trying to figure out how to block it at the end.

vvv I don't think I've ever whooped anyones as at this game, especially goons. I've got like a 5 and 25 record against yall. My actual multiplayer record is not much better. If I win it just feels shallow most of the time, like I'm beating someone who is using their tertiary character or something or I'm abusing the absolute poo poo out of interactables (see Batgirl vs Nightwing match).

Also it's surprisingly hard to remember everyones specials and combo starters; I did absolutely fuckall with Raven and Aquaman (in the case of Raven I don't think it would have helped much though, you pretty easily outplayed me).

Foodahn fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 10, 2013

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
^^ I could of sworn you kicked my butt a few times before. I could be wrong though. Yes you did like that gun on Strykers Island :)

:) I could definitely tell you were practicing with new characters. You didn't whoop my rear end this time around.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 10, 2013

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Someone told me to stop picking WW and to start counter picking. Hell no! Win or lose, I bought the game for her and I sure as hell am going to use her. :hist101:

SuddenBlackout
Apr 3, 2004

I sho' is hungry
But WW is really good so who the hell would tell you that?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Just some random guy in "Elseworlds" who kept picking a different character each match. It seemed like he wanted to fight someone who just mashes buttons with random characters.

(What is the "Elseworlds" room supposed to be for? People who have the flash skin? I just go in because it's usually the most full room.)

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I always feel bad when I pick the same character when my opponent switches. It makes me switch Batgirl out and then get destroyed because I flail around with anyone else

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Like blackout said, WW is good so grind it out with her and learn your matchups. Only way to get good with someone is to use them repeatedly. I only use lantern and doomsday so if people have a problem fighting the same guy over and over then don't play me.

GGs again today checkstock. You were doing a lot better today and were putting the pressure on a lot more efficiently today. I think you use up too much meter with the mb batarangs though, they don't do much damage even if you catch me jumping and don't seem to be an efficient use. Also, you were kinda going hog wild with wakeups there, even when I started baiting them so be careful about that. If you get a knock down on lantern, be absolutely sure that your mixup is really meaty, when I see people jump or hit buttons as I get up I will always land a ring grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Fingers McLongDong posted:

GGs again today checkstock. You were doing a lot better today and were putting the pressure on a lot more efficiently today. I think you use up too much meter with the mb batarangs though, they don't do much damage even if you catch me jumping and don't seem to be an efficient use. Also, you were kinda going hog wild with wakeups there, even when I started baiting them so be careful about that. If you get a knock down on lantern, be absolutely sure that your mixup is really meaty, when I see people jump or hit buttons as I get up I will always land a ring grab.

Wait, what? Are you sure that was me? I've been at work all day.

• Locked thread