Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Saturday night, my fiance was watching me play as I was regaling her with how cool the game was and how there were so many little things they got right. I was in my compound that I hewed from the remains of Snyders Trucking, dropping off some supplies, when my survivor Karen goes from sitting in a chair eating something out of a can, to floating out the doorway and around the corner to the workshop, going down the ramp giving no fucks while we're laughing hard enough to hurt. I blurted out "her people needed her", then a feral jumped the fence and tore the poo poo out of her and Ed.
I think she summoned him with witchcraft and was secretly trying to wrest control of the compound. It was the greatest bug related gaming moment of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So I'm all in with this game. Played it today and was told we need to expand. Any suggestions on where to go? I also have learned the enjoyment of going nuts un armed. So many ways to instagib zeds. Kick in the crotch, smack in the head, insta kill. Love it!

Also How the gently caress did Eli die? He was ok when I took Jacob from him, and went there today and I had to shoot him in the face because he died. Kinda sucks for dude to lose his boyfriend.

I'm really debating on doing a Goon Let's Play for this. Probably after I play through it once. That way it'll let patches go through and stuff.

Also the issue with me doing the let's play is the fact that I can't record audio (me talking, not game audio) while recording the game because I don't have an el gato or whatever the gently caress.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Soulex posted:

So I'm all in with this game. Played it today and was told we need to expand. Any suggestions on where to go? I also have learned the enjoyment of going nuts un armed. So many ways to instagib zeds. Kick in the crotch, smack in the head, insta kill. Love it!

Also How the gently caress did Eli die? He was ok when I took Jacob from him, and went there today and I had to shoot him in the face because he died. Kinda sucks for dude to lose his boyfriend.

I'm really debating on doing a Goon Let's Play for this. Probably after I play through it once. That way it'll let patches go through and stuff.

Also the issue with me doing the let's play is the fact that I can't record audio (me talking, not game audio) while recording the game because I don't have an el gato or whatever the gently caress.

For an easier time, based on what I've read and experienced myself, Snyder's Trucking is probably the best bet. Room to expand, good location, fairly defensible if the npc's actually use the tower.

One dude was popping skulls with a Glock at more than a hundred yards like it wasn't a big deal. :clint:

RamrodMC
Mar 2, 2011

midget astronaut
I'll join in with the Snyder's Trucking chorus. I haven't had a zed within sight of my house since I set up my outposts (the four adjacent buildings, two on the southeast side, one northeast and northwest). Got a library, enough beds for my 10+ guys, garden, kitchen, workshop, planning on a workout area next. Smooth sailing...

... until I logged in this morning and found three of my six playable survivors missing, and another one dead. Looking forward to the patch.

RamrodMC fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 10, 2013

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
Powered through the bugs and only having Marcus playable at the end to beat it, has anyone that's played through seen the big reveal? Camera kept me from seeing what was going on and then credits. Mehwell, it was definitely worth my 20 bucks, I'll probably play through again after they patch it.

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008
I finished my game yesterday. I'm not sure wwhat big reveal people are talking about ...

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

Powered through the bugs and only having Marcus playable at the end to beat it, has anyone that's played through seen the big reveal? Camera kept me from seeing what was going on and then credits. Mehwell, it was definitely worth my 20 bucks, I'll probably play through again after they patch it.

The reveal at the end is that (major spoilers, obviously) not only is there no one manning the new quarantine perimeter, but the area immediately visible outside the wall is in ruins - wrecked cars, corpses, smoke rising in the distance and poo poo. Meaning the outbreak has probably spread outside of Trumbull County (although it could just mean that the army pulled back to a third quarantine line further out, which would be loving hilarious - blast through one wall only to hit another a couple miles up the road).

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 10, 2013

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Just had a stupid moment during the barricade holdout at the Farmhouse, ran out of literally everything and had to run around kiting zombies and kicking them to death for about 20 minutes.

Then the moment you have to kill Eli I had to kick him resulting in his head exploding.

Also Maya died on the porch and I can't pick the items up because they're underneath. Annoying.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Just had a stupid moment during the barricade holdout at the Farmhouse, ran out of literally everything and had to run around kiting zombies and kicking them to death for about 20 minutes.

Then the moment you have to kill Eli I had to kick him resulting in his head exploding.

Also Maya died on the porch and I can't pick the items up because they're underneath. Annoying.
How did you run out of everything? I regularly make a point to pick up 200+ rounds of ammo from the wilkerson boys during that mission, from their supply locker. They have a ludicrous amount or that early in the game, like 90 of every type.

Also, make an outpost in the orchard nearby.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

coyo7e posted:

How did you run out of everything? I regularly make a point to pick up 200+ rounds of ammo from the wilkerson boys during that mission, from their supply locker. They have a ludicrous amount or that early in the game, like 90 of every type.

Also, make an outpost in the orchard nearby.

Really? What. They had nothing at all in their supply locker when I looked, I was wondering why they kept talking about restocking.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Really? What. They had nothing at all in their supply locker when I looked, I was wondering why they kept talking about restocking.

Yeah, it's weird. They had nothing but firebombs the first time I met them, and then I advanced their quest chain a bit and they had a ton of ammo and guns. I bought most (but not all) of their supply whenever I had influence to spare, but the last time I made the trip they had absolutely bupkis. Not sure what's behind that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lotish posted:

Yeah, it's weird. They had nothing but firebombs the first time I met them, and then I advanced their quest chain a bit and they had a ton of ammo and guns. I bought most (but not all) of their supply whenever I had influence to spare, but the last time I made the trip they had absolutely bupkis. Not sure what's behind that.

Every time I go there for that quest, there are 8 firebombs and a shitload of ammo of every caliber. I did it twice yesterday and bought hundreds of rounds both times.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Anyone have any tips for defending Doc and Eli on that mission? I sent Maya there with her rifle, a bunch of fire bombs, 2 painkillers and ton of bullets, but there ended up being 2 of those big guys and they're so hard to kill.. and the AI is pretty useless. And yeah, same with me, no ammo there either when I checked.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Interstellar Owl posted:

Anyone have any tips for defending Doc and Eli on that mission? I sent Maya there with her rifle, a bunch of fire bombs, 2 painkillers and ton of bullets, but there ended up being 2 of those big guys and they're so hard to kill.. and the AI is pretty useless. And yeah, same with me, no ammo there either when I checked.
I don't know what the trouble is really, the three firebombs you are given should be enough to kill almost everything right off the bat. One firebomb should take out one horde easily (don't use them on the windows, go out the front door on the porch and pitch it at them as they spawn and come up the hill) you'll lose friendliness points), and can usually destroy or mostly kill the fatties. If you go outside on the porch you may notice that the zombies stream in from one of three or four locations each time, and that if you leave the front door open, they usually ignore it and go for the windows anyway because they're heavily scripted (I also noticed that there were two ground floor windows that never get boardd up, but zombies never go near them).

One firebomb or a larger caliber pistol (I seemed to not be able to blow them with a .22 or 9mm) should be able to blow up the barrels.

It's really fairly easy, if you've got two or three fire bombs and maybe a couple of magazines of ammo. Save your ammo to take out zombies who're scratching windows, they rarely turn to face you until you've killed most of the pile, and their animations are repetitive enough that you can hit several easily before moving your crosshairs.

The spawns seem slightly random though, so I would recommend clearing any nearby hordes beforehand, as they seem to come join the fight otherwise, and they aren't scripted so they're tougher to handle. There should usually just be one fatty and you should be clearing zombies fast enough that he will be easy to pick off by himself, but if not, use the big wooden barrels and blow them up.

The lack of ammo in the supply locker is weird, maybe they were friendlier to me or something because I'd done it really quickly. Both times yesterday though, I literally spent myself broke on influence, buying ammo before that fight began, to ferry back home after.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 10, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

There are also some explosive moonshine kegs outside apparently that you can shoot.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Found the place I want to move into. Need 2 more people. Ugh.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Soulex posted:

Found the place I want to move into. Need 2 more people. Ugh.

Yeah, I'm down to 6-8 people right now (depending on who wants to gently caress off and go missing), and I've tried the "summon more survivors" thing twice, with no response either time. I think I'm pretty much locked out of the bigger places like the warehouse and fairgrounds.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
*Whistles innocently while looking at his group of 23 survivors*

I may just be good at this game, I'm thinking. Haven't had anyone die in a long time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

404notfound posted:

Yeah, I'm down to 6-8 people right now (depending on who wants to gently caress off and go missing), and I've tried the "summon more survivors" thing twice, with no response either time. I think I'm pretty much locked out of the bigger places like the warehouse and fairgrounds.

What unlocks the "summon more survivors" option? I don't have that yet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't think you have to unlock it, select the radio room in the base menu and you can have Lily call around for survivors or resources.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah If you haven't yet make sure you go back to your base overview and check all of your facilities, pretty much everything has some kind of project you can start and it took me until moving into the trucking place to actually realize it.

Speaking of the trucking place, what does canning food actually do? It says it will require some research and take three real life days, but I've heard of people beating the game in less so like what's the point?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

homeless snail posted:

I don't think you have to unlock it, select the radio room in the base menu and you can have Lily call around for survivors or resources.

Forgot all about this. poo poo.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Tyskil posted:

Speaking of the trucking place, what does canning food actually do? It says it will require some research and take three real life days, but I've heard of people beating the game in less so like what's the point?

Those real life days tick down when the game is not on as well, my Dojo got built while the game wasn't on. Can't help with your actual question though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Tyskil posted:

Yeah If you haven't yet make sure you go back to your base overview and check all of your facilities, pretty much everything has some kind of project you can start and it took me until moving into the trucking place to actually realize it.

What does it even do? Let you exceed your storage capacity?

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Drakenel posted:

I may just be good at this game, I'm thinking. Haven't had anyone die in a long time.

I haven't had any casualties. :smugdog:

The canning protects your food from spoiling and causing food poisoning for a week or something.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't think I'm as far into the game as the rest of you, but so far I'm doing well. The only person I've lost so far is the Pastor (who was shot by Alan, which seems to be a constant and I assume he'll go soon too, based on what I've read). I recently moved my folks into the treefort place and it seems to be going well. I am considering a move into the Snyder yard which is pretty close by, but right now we're in good shape. I've been avoiding most story missions and just doing side missions to fortify my place and keep my people in good shape/spirits. I'll probably dive into the rest of the missions soon, but for now I'm just trying to scavenge and survive.

Closest call I had so far was helping Frank hunt down a Big Un. We found it in the middle of a field, and it totaled my car, the only weapon I had was a bat, and we were also getting swarmed by regular zombies... I wound up staggering/running to a nearby orchard and REALLY lucked out by finding a hunting rifle in a backpack near a tree. Took down the Big Un with a few headshots and then ran :stare:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
^^^^^ That's pretty awesome/lucky. I definitely take a gun to all the hunting missions now, things can go sour quickly.

Drakenel posted:

Your poor resources. :(

I've had wild survivor population swings, you should get enough to move eventually. Keep an eye out for any of the "help our friends" side missions, those will usually net you 1-3 survivors. I'm not sure if they're a result of using the radio room to find survivors or not. Finding anything with the radio has been hit or miss for me throughout my game, but I do get hits occasionally.

MikeRabsitch fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 10, 2013

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So can anyone who beat the game spoil for me if the town in the northwest can ever actually be visited in normal game play?

I was working on the assumption you would get there after a storyline mission or something but I'm starting to have Two World 2 "Put a big area on the map that you can never go to so people will think the game is bigger" vibes.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Tyskil posted:

So can anyone who beat the game spoil for me if the town in the northwest can ever actually be visited in normal game play?

I was working on the assumption you would get there after a storyline mission or something but I'm starting to have Two World 2 "Put a big area on the map that you can never go to so people will think the game is bigger" vibes.

I haven't gotten to it yet, but it's been mentioned by goons and pre-release stuff that the area opens up after a certain point.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
You'll get lead around the main settlements, yes.

I was trying to get the badass achievement with Marcus (since it seems to be bugged with Maya). I got overtly confidence and decided to clear an infestation at night. It was in a storage shed, and I didn't realise how packed with zombies it would be. Marcus got torn apart, and every attempt to improve the community has only made things worse.

It's impressive how quickly things can turn into chaos in this game.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any way to tell which outpost is which? I don't really need outposts at the Church now that I'm at the trucking yard, but I can't seem to find a way to tell which outpost icon goes to which outpost on the map. I really don't want to have to clear something out again if I pick the wrong one to abandon.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

Is there any way to tell which outpost is which? I don't really need outposts at the Church now that I'm at the trucking yard, but I can't seem to find a way to tell which outpost icon goes to which outpost on the map. I really don't want to have to clear something out again if I pick the wrong one to abandon.

Yeah, this is a problem. There's no way to really tell. In general the spots are in the order assigned, so the first two outposts you make take the first two spots on the bar. You can delete second spot, and the third outpost you made moves to the second spot, and so on, opening a spot at the end of the list. But you have to remember which outposts you made when.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yep, and that's what I screwed up. I wanted to see what happened so I knocked out the first and I THINK the third, but it's been a long day. Time to play zombie outpost roulette :D

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

OldMemes posted:

You'll get lead around the main settlements, yes.

I was trying to get the badass achievement with Marcus (since it seems to be bugged with Maya). I got overtly confidence and decided to clear an infestation at night. It was in a storage shed, and I didn't realise how packed with zombies it would be. Marcus got torn apart, and every attempt to improve the community has only made things worse.

It's impressive how quickly things can turn into chaos in this game.

Easy way to clear out a storage shed infestation is to stand a few feet back outside the door and perform some taunts. When the door busts open throw a Molotov in the entrance and most, if not all, the zombies should run straight into it.

You're right, it is amazing how fast things can turn to poo poo, I was starting to get a little disappointed how easy things were, and then everything started to fall apart over the last couple of days. I finally managed to get things into not quite so horrible shape before I turned the game off last night.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

You guys have me worried that my entire camp will drop dead any second now. :ohdear:

I'm wondering if the tree fort was a bad idea; everyone seems to be sticking to Snyder as their favorite camp. But I've invested so much into the tree fort... upgraded my medical facilities and bedroom, added a dojo and upgraded that too... then again, if I ever want to get that "build one of every type of facility" achievement, I'll either need to destroy something or find a bigger house anyway... decisions, decisions.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Half my camp died when the preacher turned while I was away, pretty annoying.

How are you supposed to know which survivors you can pick up and which are doing their own thing without actually going there?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even the Snyder one doesn't have space for absolutely everything.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Half my camp died when the preacher turned while I was away, pretty annoying.

...that can happen? Kind of sucks for you but that's awesome. Mine was mercy killed right away.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Same happened to mine. Had 14 people when I started my zombie trucking business but the Pastor was feeling ill. The next day I turn on the game and I was down to 8 :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Honestly? Nah. My resources aren't much of a problem. I've worked on making scavenging more efficient (IE every side mission I go to, I also loot the house/building it's at and make sure I'm always coming back with a rucksack. If not, the outposts are nearby to drop my stuff off and go loot another building) Food I'm always having an abundance of, including the garden I keep up. The only things that really run out are construction materials, but I'm finding them enough where I can keep building. Ammo is low, but I find it often enough to keep it steady, and I'm still in Marshall.

• Locked thread