Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

I'm assuming he means Tobias Maxilla, the captain of the Essene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Update to the Android/Kindle post:

I contacted BL to find out if they planned on moving Codexes and Rulebooks to another platform. Expecting a negative response, I instead receive the following:

quote:

Thanks for your email.
We are currently actively working on making our main rulebooks and Codexes available in a format compatible with more devices.
We hope to have news on this very soon.

Neat!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Umiapik posted:

Anyway, I'll stop there: this has turned into a very long post. (The fact that I've cared enough to spend an hour writing it should tell you that this was a book that's made a strong impression on me ;))

I'd actually like to hear more if you have anything.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Uhm, provided you own the physical book i don't THINK their is anything illegal about downloading a pdf of the book and sticking it on drop-box. Thats how i have all my wargames books, in my dropbox in a folder on my ipad. Buy the book though or else its bad. its 20-loving-13. gently caress carrying around a metric ton of hardcover codex's.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My friend actually said to the guys who make GW's ipad rule books that he has pdf copies of them all (and that he buys the originals) and they didn't even blink. Although that was in the context of saying that he now had an ipad and was very pleased to finally have a legitimate avenue for digital versions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is your friend in the EU? It's semi-mostly-legal to make digital backups of stuff here.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, UK. We were standing in the middle of Warhammer World at the time.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The Grey Knights have never been corrupted by Chaos because they are super-believers in the Emperor (this sounds kinda insulting to the other Chapters - are they not so zealous?). The Sisters of Battle get supernatural powers based on their Faith, yet they have no psykers among their ranks. This seems to suggest that the Emperor does have some sort of divine presence in the Warp, that he's more than just a glorified lighthouse. What's the true explanation? Is he a proper god, or is he just an uber-powerful psyker who is half-dead?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Kurzon posted:

The Grey Knights have never been corrupted by Chaos because they are super-believers in the Emperor (this sounds kinda insulting to the other Chapters - are they not so zealous?). The Sisters of Battle get supernatural powers based on their Faith, yet they have no psykers among their ranks. This seems to suggest that the Emperor does have some sort of divine presence in the Warp, that he's more than just a glorified lighthouse. What's the true explanation? Is he a proper god, or is he just an uber-powerful psyker who is half-dead?

The Grey Knights don't just have the strongest faith -- they have anti-demonic runes literally scrimshawed on their bones. Every part of their being and equipment is made with the express purpose of combating chaos.

As for Saints, there really hasn't been much of an explanation other than that they are manifestations of the Emperor's will. Interpret that however you like.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
If gods are shaped by human feeling, I wonder how the Emperor has been affected after 10,000 years of feeding off the prayers of a quintillion superstitious and close-minded humans.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Kurzon posted:

If gods are shaped by human feeling, I wonder how the Emperor has been affected after 10,000 years of feeding off the prayers of a quintillion superstitious and close-minded humans.

He's not a chaos god so probably not particularly.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kurzon posted:

There is no true explanation: both are plausible and the fun is in the uncertainty.

In practice, if you are a normal citizen, then he is a god (though there is a lot of latitude in what that actually means because of the enormous diversity of acceptable local variations on the Imperial cult) and if you don't think so, you're a heretic. If you're a Space Marine, opinions vary between him being a great man and spiritual father to an actual God-Emperor.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Either that, or the Black Library's authors need to get their story sorted.

About the Imperial Guard: the Imperial Guard is said to use very wasteful tactics because humans are plentiful and thus very cheap, cheaper than the gear they carry. But "plentiful" is a relative term. Orks, for instance, are said to outnumber humans, and every Ork is a warrior looking for a fight, whilst most humans are not. Throw in the Tyranids and you see that it is the Imperial Guards that is actually outnumbered. I've read some fluff that says the Imperium doesn't have the manpower to defend all its worlds under threat. The Imperium resorts to Exterminatus more and more because liberating an invaded planet is unfeasible. This all tells me that there is a shortage, not surplus, of able-bodied humans. So why are Imperial commanders so wasteful?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

hopterque posted:

He's not a chaos god so probably not particularly.

Even without being a god, human belief has been established as having a real effect on reality in 40k (see the Sororitas' miracles, the Chaos gods, etc.) Plus he has 100,000 psykers jumper cabled to his cranium at any given moment. The one book that features the emperor in the 40k era was part of the Inquisition War trilogy and was written a long time ago, before a lot of the fluff got worked out. In it the emperor is fragmented into multiple personalities and basically completely insane.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Was that a Jaq Draco novel? Yeah, when the Emperor spoke to him, the Emperor said he basically approved of the basic ethos of the Imperium (survival is more important than mercy). He did not lament the Imperium's backwardness or stupidity in any way. I think it got retconned out.

I read somewhere that all the energy from humanity's prayers "has to go somewhere". If it goes to the Emperor, I'd think it would not just feed him, but reshape him. I don't think he's the same guy who led the Great Crusade.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Belief, sure, but emotion is a different thing. For instance, belief or faith in the Emperor might call his attention and you might be granted a measure of his power, but all the chaos gods need is for someone to be particularly afraid or lustful or whatever and they have an instant in, regardless of belief. And the Emperor is a god, just not a chaos god, which are beings created by and who feed on emotion, the Emperor as for as we know is nothing like that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kurzon posted:

Why? Definitively answering such a huge question would do only bad things to the setting and adds nothing.

edit: is that you, Baron Bifford?

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 9, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Can-O-Raid posted:

Even without being a god, human belief has been established as having a real effect on reality in 40k (see the Sororitas' miracles, the Chaos gods, etc.) Plus he has 100,000 psykers jumper cabled to his cranium at any given moment. The one book that features the emperor in the 40k era was part of the Inquisition War trilogy and was written a long time ago, before a lot of the fluff got worked out. In it the emperor is fragmented into multiple personalities and basically completely insane.

I like that after he talked to the Emperor, he just leaves Terra, slightly upset that his questions weren't answered and that he wasted his time. What a great series :allears:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Kurzon posted:

About the Imperial Guard: the Imperial Guard is said to use very wasteful tactics because humans are plentiful and thus very cheap, cheaper than the gear they carry. But "plentiful" is a relative term. Orks, for instance, are said to outnumber humans, and every Ork is a warrior looking for a fight, whilst most humans are not. Throw in the Tyranids and you see that it is the Imperial Guards that is actually outnumbered. I've read some fluff that says the Imperium doesn't have the manpower to defend all its worlds under threat. The Imperium resorts to Exterminatus more and more because liberating an invaded planet is unfeasible. This all tells me that there is a shortage, not surplus, of able-bodied humans. So why are Imperial commanders so wasteful?

Because it's fun thematically and 40k is not about sound tactics.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kurzon posted:

Faith in the Emperor has been producing miracles in his name since the days of the Great Crusade. He is absolutely more than just a lighthouse. I'm going with uber half-dead psyker, but one that really does watch over the Empire and, of course, protects his faithful. The interesting question to me is, what happens with the souls he is said to gather when the faithful fall ? If he's preparing for something, then there's a potentially huge resource for some sort of Armageddon.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Eldar save their souls in crystals and put them into a network because if they die without storing their soul it literally gets eaten by Slaanesh. It's feasible the Emperor has a similar relationship with humanity and souls are basically absorbed into his warp presence, there's some lore around as well that the Emperor had an alliance with a certain Eldar farseer during the great crusade so there could be a connection.

As for the manpower issue, the Imperium doesn't lack for manpower, it lacks for materials. Ships especially are hard to construct and most of them are ancient relics that are barely maintained in a workable state. A hundred million guardsmen aren't worth poo poo if they're not armed or have ships to travel with.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I seem to recall there being a rather cool scene at the end of one of the Imperial Guard books where a dead Guardsman enters the Emperors light and joins the host gathered there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There is a "true" explanation, but it's kind of been retconned out of existence. Also relevant is that at the time there were Chaos gods of Law.

Also the IG commanders using wasteful tactics is true, but only because strategically it's often better to use a regiment to concentrate an enemy for orbital bombardment than it is to try keep that regiment alive.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I think it's implied that the conflicts we see are the ones that aren't resolved quickly via orbital bombardment or the threat of orbital bombardment, usually because of some need to preserve existing valuable infrastructure or other things like reconnaissance that require boots on the ground and where spending manpower is deemed the cheapest means of resolving the situation.

And then there's the ones where the officers are all inherited nobility and just happen to be inflexible idiots, based on the many cases in real life history where the officers were idiots that threw away the lives of thousands or even millions. Because massive, unfixable inefficiency and corruption are core parts of the setting.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 10, 2013

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Arquinsiel posted:

Also the IG commanders using wasteful tactics is true, but only because strategically it's often better to use a regiment to concentrate an enemy for orbital bombardment than it is to try keep that regiment alive.
I bet they do that a lot with Orks. Deploy a sufficiently entertaining number of guardsmen to a planet to bait the Orks into massing there. Then, Exterminatus.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

http://www.blacklibrary.com/games-workshop-digital-editions/?flushcache=1

So the new Digital Editions stuff are finally up and they look kinda :effort:.
What's on offer is
Munitorium Shuriken Catapult, 13 pages.
Munitorium Long Rifle, 14
Warlords of the Dark Millennium - Azrael, 44 pages.
Index Astartes - Dreadnoughts, 28 pages.
Index Astartes - Codex Astartes, 48 pages.

Prices are between €1,49 to €4,99 so they aren't too pricey.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Grey Knights don't just have the strongest faith -- they have anti-demonic runes literally scrimshawed on their bones. Every part of their being and equipment is made with the express purpose of combating chaos.

Isn't there something to do with the, "Emperor's Gift"? In said novel, it's mentioned his specific gene sequence and advanced processes were used in creating a Grey Knight, I believe.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TheStampede posted:

Isn't there something to do with the, "Emperor's Gift"? In said novel, it's mentioned his specific gene sequence and advanced processes were used in creating a Grey Knight, I believe.

They are also brought to the Emperor himself and attuned to his psychic frequency.
Read that is was also something that astropaths go through that usually blinds them among other side effects including agonizing death.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kurzon posted:

You have to remember something about Orks - while they far outnumber humans in the galaxy, the odds of them actually being able to coordinate their numbers is low enough that humanity actually has a chance of being able to fend them off. The scary thing is when you get an Ork like Ghazghkull who has the sheer will to hold the Ork bands together AND be able to coordinate attacks AND be able to press his advantages. Without a serious Warboss, the Orks usually devolve into infighting warbands and the Ork incursion fails - it's the IG's job to hold the Orks off long enough to reach that point.

And nobody is going to call Exterminatus on a planet that has been attacked by Orks - you can actually fight them. Exterminatus is more likely going to be called when a planet is pretty much lost to Chaos - and before that, the Imperium is more likely to send in Space Marines and Grey Knights first. Exterminatus is a last ditch response - life is cheap, but materiel and infrastructure is not.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

TheStampede posted:

The question of why they don't fall is a theme of the book, with several possible answers provided, but nothing definitive.

Given that it is a mystery of fate, I thought it was appropriate

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
I thought one of the theories about the Emperor is that he was on the verge of becoming a god. That the Chaos gods don't want him to die on the golden throne because its the only thing keeping him from manifesting into godhood. Which may mean that Cypher knows this and his never back down march to Terra could be that he plans to kill the Emperor so he can be reborn and summon his remaining sons back into battle.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EyeRChris posted:

I thought one of the theories about the Emperor is that he was on the verge of becoming a god. That the Chaos gods don't want him to die on the golden throne because its the only thing keeping him from manifesting into godhood. Which may mean that Cypher knows this and his never back down march to Terra could be that he plans to kill the Emperor so he can be reborn and summon his remaining sons back into battle.
That was really old school 40K - back in the Realm of Chaos days. Since there hasn't been any mention of the Sensei or the Star Child in the past 20 years, I'm going on the assumption that that storyline has been retconned.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It was mooted in the Inquisitor core book too.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

You have to remember something about Orks - while they far outnumber humans in the galaxy, the odds of them actually being able to coordinate their numbers is low enough that humanity actually has a chance of being able to fend them off. The scary thing is when you get an Ork like Ghazghkull who has the sheer will to hold the Ork bands together AND be able to coordinate attacks AND be able to press his advantages. Without a serious Warboss, the Orks usually devolve into infighting warbands and the Ork incursion fails - it's the IG's job to hold the Orks off long enough to reach that point.

And nobody is going to call Exterminatus on a planet that has been attacked by Orks - you can actually fight them. Exterminatus is more likely going to be called when a planet is pretty much lost to Chaos - and before that, the Imperium is more likely to send in Space Marines and Grey Knights first. Exterminatus is a last ditch response - life is cheap, but materiel and infrastructure is not.

I think the way that the Empire in Warhammer treats Orcs is similar to how the Imperium sees Orks. Sure they're a menace and a drain on your Empire's resources but so is something like a plague or famine or similar natural disaster. Orkish tactics don't change and most of the time, uprooting them from a world is just a matter of sending millions of men down there to shoot them dead and remembering to station enough soldiers on the planet when you leave to have a yearly cleanse of any Orks that remain. They aren't going to infiltrate and corrupt your army like Chaos and their goals are easy to understand unlike all the other alien races out there.

I don't think the Imperial Guard care about waste as long as you get results and are loyal. The commander who sends his men into the meatgrinder isn't going to get court martialed if he manages to take the world in record time.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

EyeRChris posted:

I read some fan-theories on other WH40K forums that if the Emperor dies, a proper god will form in the Warp from the the energies of humanity's prayers, but it won't be the old Emperor who lead the Great Crusade but a god made in the image of what humanity perceives the Emperor to be.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

berzerkmonkey posted:

How does the Space Marine computer game fit into this? The apparent threat in that game is entirely from Orks (as far as anyone knows at the beginning) and the intro to the game really makes it seem like the main/only reason not to Exterminatus the place is because of the strategic value of the Titan manufactorium there.

I assume the answer is "they were playing fast and loose with the setting for dramatic purposes" but so is basically every other piece of 40K media AFAIK.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

JerryLee posted:

How does the Space Marine computer game fit into this? The apparent threat in that game is entirely from Orks (as far as anyone knows at the beginning) and the intro to the game really makes it seem like the main/only reason not to Exterminatus the place is because of the strategic value of the Titan manufactorium there.

I assume the answer is "they were playing fast and loose with the setting for dramatic purposes" but so is basically every other piece of 40K media AFAIK.

Pssh like the Inquisition didn't know what was going on there. Plus a Titan manufactorium is a pretty drat big reason NOT to blow up a planet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kurzon posted:

I read some fan-theories on other WH40K forums that if the Emperor dies, a proper god will form in the Warp from the the energies of humanity's prayers, but it won't be the old Emperor who lead the Great Crusade but a god made in the image of what humanity perceives the Emperor to be.
That's a canon theory.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

JerryLee posted:

I'm assuming they say only exterminatus to be cool but they really mean both exterminatus or just heavy orbital bombardment that doesn't actually destroy the entire planet or render it uninhabitable but does completely wreck large portions of the surface. In the game, they don't do either because they don't want to damage the basically priceless infrastructure of a Forge World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Is the BL cover art always so hilarious?

As much as I love Wrath of Iron, it has pretty wonky cover art. Lookit dem binocular eyes.