Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Oneiros posted:

If anyone has that much trouble with a FW400 plug I shudder to think what happens when they try to use a standard USB A port.
Well they have that plastic block, not sure I've heard of anyone plugging one in upside down...

Mu Zeta posted:

I feel I'm smart and I have never, EVER, plugged in a USB plug the correct way on the first attempt. loving Christ.
This on the other hand seems to be what everyone hates about USB. I especially like when the ports are vertical cause there seems to be no consistency to their orientation. Then again I've also run into upside down horizontal ports now and then too. Mini and micro USB can go to hell too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Instrumedley posted:

Successfully upgraded the processor in a first generation Intel iMac to a Core 2 Duo:

Time to install Mountain Lion.
I want to know more about this. Did you use a T7200? I'm looking to replace the CPU, RAM, boot drive in a 17" 1.83GHz Core Duo for a poor artist friend. It looks like if you use 2x 2GBs it will recognize 3GB. They're used to 1GB and doing illustrations, so uh... yeah. If you shoehorn Lion/ML onto it via tweaked kexts at install, do they stay that way after software updates? Will they take any CPU that's 34W? I was thinking of simply putting Snow Leopard on it at the very least (Leopard now). Pretty sure there's an ATI X1600 in there. I'm curious if you replaced the main drive, with what, and if that improved boot speed at all over the (160GB?). I'm wondering if a bigger, budget HDD would do better than whatever cheap 120GB SSD washes up since SATA looks to be limited to 1.5 in those.

And you used a credit card shim that may or may not have had layers of duct tape on it in order to pop the shell via the vent?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

kuskus posted:

Doesn't make any sense: main drive is 3.5". Only a 2.5" drive will fit in the typical optical caddies. You can boot fine from either SATA connection. The issue with replacing the main HDD is that the temperature sensor is inside the stock drive. Easiest to leave that where it is unless you also purchase an OEM temperature sensor and plug that into the board instead.

There is no warranty because it's so old. Any Apple Care should have likely also expired. Go hog wild! But if you don't want to lift off the plexiglass and LCD, yes, a local AAR will hopefully do it with glee (for a fee). If you care to tackle it you'll need a couple of torx bits for all the screws. Plus a couple of cheap clamp suction cups. Once you do a repair you'll wish you did it sooner!

Oh, maybe it's changed since my late 2008 unibody then :ohdear:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Turns out Apple WILL be streaming the event live here: http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2013/

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 10, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Oh, maybe it's changed since my late 2008 unibody then :ohdear:

He's got an iMac, not a mbp.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009

kuskus posted:

I want to know more about this. Did you use a T7200? I'm looking to replace the CPU, RAM, boot drive in a 17" 1.83GHz Core Duo for a poor artist friend. It looks like if you use 2x 2GBs it will recognize 3GB. They're used to 1GB and doing illustrations, so uh... yeah. If you shoehorn Lion/ML onto it via tweaked kexts at install, do they stay that way after software updates? Will they take any CPU that's 34W? I was thinking of simply putting Snow Leopard on it at the very least (Leopard now). Pretty sure there's an ATI X1600 in there. I'm curious if you replaced the main drive, with what, and if that improved boot speed at all over the (160GB?). I'm wondering if a bigger, budget HDD would do better than whatever cheap 120GB SSD washes up since SATA looks to be limited to 1.5 in those.

And you used a credit card shim that may or may not have had layers of duct tape on it in order to pop the shell via the vent?

I did use a T7200. A T7600 might work since it has the same 667 MHz FSB and socket, though I couldn't find one as cheaply on eBay as the T7200 (bought mine for around $20) and wasn't sure about the power requirements. Plus people have already reported success with the T7200.

I followed this thread on MacRumors to install 10.8.4. Updating requires that you repatch the kexts, so it's probably not stable enough to use as a main computer unless you're okay with such a roundabout way to update. Snow Leopard would be a good choice since it's compatible with the iMac without modification and runs great on 2GB of RAM. If you're curious, I could run a GeekBench test to see how it does on Mountain Lion.

For disassembly, I followed this iFixit guide for removing the logic board. On my model (20", 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, x1600 256 MB, 250GB HDD), the heat sink was connected to both the CPU and GPU, requiring the thermal paste on both chips to be replaced. I used Arctic Silver's thermal paste and cleaner to do this. I didn't need to use duct tape release the latches on the shell, just a sturdy credit card. I also didn't replace any other components, though I might exchange the AirPort card for one that supports 802.11n. Replacing components like that should be fairly easy since removing the shell and LCD gives you access to most parts of the computer. If you do end up replacing any parts, definitely get magnetic screwdrivers. The four T10 screws holding the LCD in place were a major pain to remove/install since they easily fall behind the LCD.

Instrumedley fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 10, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

I feel I'm smart and I have never, EVER, plugged in a USB plug the correct way on the first attempt. loving Christ.

USB plugs exist in an extra dimension where you may have to flip them three times or more before finding the orientation that works.

withak fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 10, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

withak posted:

USB plugs exist in an extra dimension where you may have to flip them three times or more before finding the orientation that works.

The logo goes up! How hard is that for people to remember.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

The logo goes up! How hard is that for people to remember.

Only if the port isn't sideways or upside-down. Also, not everything has a logo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

withak posted:

Only if the port isn't sideways or upside-down. Also, not everything has a logo.

Up is relative.

If it's sideways, just go away from the motherboard.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yes, away from the motherboard, of course. :rolleyes:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Orienting the cable the correct way doesn't suddenly get rid of the "you have to flip it 3 or 4 times before it actually goes in" dance.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

So if Haswell ends up being 50% better in battery life like that Acer S7 test showed, maybe we'll get the Retina and the Air merging after all?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

So if Haswell ends up being 50% better in battery life like that Acer S7 test showed, maybe we'll get the Retina and the Air merging after all?

I really hope so. I'd sell my 2012 non retina pro to buy one. A 13 inch retina air sounds dreamy.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

New MacBook Airs will be in-store on June 12.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Welp, I just ordered an 11" upgraded to i7 and 8 GB of RAM.

I'm glad that Apple is using the Haswell chips with HD Graphics 5000 instead of the 4400 or 4600 part.

I'm still torn on the 11" versus 13", but I really think the 11" will be perfect for sitting on the couch or waiting on a doctor's office, etc.

Very excited...

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Got an 11" with 8GB on the way. Kind of surprised that the 8GB wasn't a 'stock' option, so I couldn't pick it up in a store.

^^^ Also happy about HD 5000. Really excited about the 9 hour battery.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
gently caress. I want the new 13in MBA. If it even gets 9-10 hours battery life I'd be thrilled. That's a huge leap from the ~3.5-4 I get with 11in air now.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Hmmm, I forgot about Apple education pricing.

Is there a link that I can use for that...?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vinlaen posted:

Hmmm, I forgot about Apple education pricing.

Is there a link that I can use for that...?
Search for education on the apple store page. The link's there somewhere.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

1.3GHz!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
So I guess they'll do a silent update on the MBP/rMBP sometime in July then? I can't see them holding another event exclusively for that unless they've got some massive new thing to show off- which is doubtful. That said, I'm still surprised that they didn't even mention the MBP. Part of me wants to say that if it were merely a simple Haswell upgrade, they would've stuck it in with the MBA announcement- even if it meant saying "the Airs ship this week, the Pros ship later this summer."

Also- I'm gonna go ahead and say "called it" on the Mac Pro. Here's hoping the AMD graphics are acting as a quasi-onboard and you can add an external CUDA-capable GPU via Thunderbolt 2 if you want it. I know Apple wants to undercut Adobe in any way they can, but deliberately flying in the face of everyone who wants CUDA capability probably isn't the smartest strategy. Especially when they made such a big deal out of bringing Nvidia back to the MBP/rMBP/iMac.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Observe.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm definitely getting a 13" MBA. 128GB is fine for me considering I've only been using ~100GB on my laptop and that's with a bunch of games I don't play installed.

How are Apple's financing plans? Is it worth doing a 12 month payment plan or do I end up paying like $200 extra on it? I simply don't have the money upfront.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The Mac Pro looks like a bin.

And the battery life on the Airs is ridiculous.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

b0red posted:

I really hope so. I'd sell my 2012 non retina pro to buy one. A 13 inch retina air sounds dreamy.

That sounds super dreamy but I still find myself compelled to upgrade my air to a new 13" rather than wait.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
The resolution on the Macbook air seems kinda low, but 12 HOURS OF BATTERY!! I'm thinking of buying one for school. What are the odds of them coming up with something for the Macbook Pro that would make me want one of those instead?

What was the speed before today?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Selklubber posted:

The resolution on the Macbook air seems kinda low, but 12 HOURS OF BATTERY!! I'm thinking of buying one for school. What are the odds of them coming up with something for the Macbook Pro that would make me want one of those instead?

1.6-1.8, I think (maybe 2.0 at the high end?)

The point is that Intel REALLY dropped the power consumption with Haswell.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Selklubber posted:

1.8, I think. It can still turbo up to 2.something so it's just lower to save energy when it's not doing anything, it just seems like a real low base clock. Either way you're getting insane battery life.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Sprat Sandwich posted:

The Mac Pro looks like a bin.

And the battery life on the Airs is ridiculous.

The tear-down looks so much like the G4 cube I used to have, minus the huge goddamn power adapter.

I'm guessing we're probably stuck with the current Macbook Pro line until after back to school clears out all the old stock?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

I'm glad that Apple is using the Haswell chips with HD Graphics 5000 instead of the 4400 or 4600 part.

This is loving awesome of them. The Airs are pretty much the laptop for the average person. The only obstacle is the price, but those who can afford it will be absolutely content.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Selklubber posted:

Wasn't it 1.7Ghz?

I don't think the MBP is going to offer up anything surprising. AC networking, similar Haswell battery life, maybe Thunderbolt 2. Which makes me think - is this TB 1 in the Airs? Oh well, I only use it as a minidisplayport anyway.

Mac Pro is ridiculous. It will last a generation in this form factor, and then slip back to a tower config. And the G4 cube fans will go nuts for it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How is the HD Graphics 5000 expected to perform? I'm planning on getting a 13" Air and I'd like to be able to do at least a little bit of gaming on it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

How is the HD Graphics 5000 expected to perform? I'm planning on getting a 13" Air and I'd like to be able to do at least a little bit of gaming on it.

I play League of Legends and have played SC2 and Diablo 3 on my Air with HD3000. If you don't mind lowering your settings you'll be fine. It does get hot as gently caress but it usually coincides with the time I want to take a break 1.5-2hrs~

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm excited by how much faster the new MBA will be compared to my current mid-09 one.

Or I'll wait for the rMBP update whenever that is…

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested

Now, we all know that there are no games on the mac, but if there were, you can use this as a rough guide to gauge performance of the HD 5000 to last year's HD 4000. It's a pretty good jump.

The tests were done across a range of CPU's with varying amounts of cores/HT, but the point is, it's faster, and should run very well at Air screen resolutions.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

I play League of Legends and have played SC2 and Diablo 3 on my Air with HD3000. If you don't mind lowering your settings you'll be fine. It does get hot as gently caress but it usually coincides with the time I want to take a break 1.5-2hrs~

Take this but now extrapolate. The HD4000 that shipped with the 2012 Airs was roughly twice as capable as the 2011-vintage HD3000. The HD5000 is supposedly twice as capable as the HD4000. A 2013 Air is gonna be a pretty great gaming notebook for the vast majority of people, assuming you're realistic and don't try to run the newest games at full-blast settings.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Civil posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested

Now, we all know that there are no games on the mac, but if there were, you can use this as a rough guide to gauge performance of the HD 5000 to last year's HD 4000. It's a pretty good jump.

The tests were done across a range of CPU's with varying amounts of cores/HT, but the point is, it's faster, and should run very well at Air screen resolutions.
Wow that sounds great. They didn't directly test the 5000 but based on the performance of the 4600 vs. the 5200 it looks like even graphically demanding games should get at least 30-40 FPS on medium settings. That sounds great to me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm still weighing the MacBook Air versus 13" Retina MBP. I'm now leaning toward waiting for the Haswell MBP refresh since I'll value performance more than I'll value battery life. I never run my 2011 MBA battery down as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logical Disconnect
Mar 31, 2007
Mmm, fallacious!
Man, I really need a rMBP refresh before I leave the country in September. Hoping something comes in the next couple of months.