Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

The Black Stones posted:

Nope. The original's quality is pretty much on par with DVD, if not worse at points from what I remember. It'd be nice to get the original movie straight up on Blu-Ray because the CG added to 2.0 looks like poo poo and I just want the original at this point.

On the upside, the much-better-looking Japanese Blu-ray has English subtitles & dub and is "only" $65.50.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/GHOST-THE-SHELL-%E6%94%BB%E6%AE%BB%E6%A9%9F%E5%8B%95%E9%9A%8A-Blu-ray/dp/B004G097OK/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

That's really unfortunate because to me 2.0 is a minor atrocity in its own right.

That quote makes it sound like the included original is even inferior to a DVD copy. Browsing Amazon, it doesn't look like there were any DVD remasters released in the West outside of the original shody Manga release. And I don't think the DVD version of 2.0 is bundled with "1.0" either.

There was a Special Edition remaster of the Manga DVD several years ago. I have it, but haven't done a side by side comparison of the two.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
"Evangelion 3.0" is coming out on Blu-Ray in Japan way earlier than anyone expected: April 24th.

Midjack posted:

There was a Special Edition remaster of the Manga DVD several years ago. I have it, but haven't done a side by side comparison of the two.
Its the exact same transfer but with higher-bitrate audio. The one thing that's always irked me with "Ghost in the Shell" on DVD/BR (apart from the awful 2.0 version), is that the old VHS and laserdiscs had the movie at about 1.66:1, but nowhere on DVD has it been presented that way.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Was Bebop actually re-released non-upscaled on BD? I haven't seen it mentioned here so I am kinda surprised seeing as people were always talking about how it's impossible and how amazing it would be...

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

lordfrikk posted:

Was Bebop actually re-released non-upscaled on BD? I haven't seen it mentioned here so I am kinda surprised seeing as people were always talking about how it's impossible and how amazing it would be...

In Japan, yes. I don't understand what you mean after the question, but Cowboy Bebop was an older show that was put onto film so making a HD version (that's not an upscale) isn't impossible at all, compared to a show (for example, Full Metal Panic) that was done digitally and would have to have many scenes actually redone to be true HD.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm not sure many people know it was composted onto film. A lot of people, like hey, me! assumed since it had cg sequences and assists that those assets were probably lost / low rez and would be difficult to get an HD copy of without redoing them / upscale.

I'm glad that's not the case though. Cowboy Bebop is something people should never go "Well it doesn't look good but you gotta move past that" about

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
Any scenes with CG in them are upscaled; however, these are all pretty brief. I'd say 95% of the time it's true HD and looks fantastic.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

The Black Stones posted:

In Japan, yes. I don't understand what you mean after the question, but Cowboy Bebop was an older show that was put onto film so making a HD version (that's not an upscale) isn't impossible at all, compared to a show (for example, Full Metal Panic) that was done digitally and would have to have many scenes actually redone to be true HD.

People were saying it's mainly impossible because the materials for CG scenes were lost, as Mr. Stay-Puft said, but apparently that didn't stop them and I'm glad to hear it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Bebop was also produced at a time when digital ink and paint was starting to become more prevalent. If you watch other animated shows at the time, you'll see them experimenting with it. For instance, King of the Hill had one episode done totally in DIP two seasons before the switch over occurred, and after that, there were a few episodes that had individual scenes done in that manner (either scenes featuring weird things done with the camera). It's quite obvious. For an example of that, see the episode where Bill flies away in a hot air balloon, and tell me which scenes were done with cel animation and which scenes were DIP.

I think there is actually one episode of Bebop that is DIP. It's the one where the comatose kid runs a TV cult. The colors look a little different, and then the credits don't have a credit for the lab, but some credit about a digital painter or something similar. So I'm guessing that episode would also be an upscale too, unless they also ended up compositing that one onto film.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Today's Amazon Gold Box deal: All US/Disney Studio Ghibli discs are 55% off. This includes the Blu-rays of Nausicaa, Laputa, Whisper of the Heart, Ponyo & Arrietty @ either $18 or $19 each. Also includes DVDs of Kiki, Mononoke, Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, Cat Returns & Yamadas @ $14/$15.

15 hours left:
http://amzn.com/gb/A1AFUTSUKDY380

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 6, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd love to back that Kickstarter, but since they're more than surpassed their goal and I don't really have $55 for a single movie sitting around AND it's now getting an official UK release, I think I'll wait for that.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So someone is releasing Bebop on bluray region2 in july, the few shots I found from the japanese edition look good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honest Thief posted:

So someone is releasing Bebop on bluray region2 in july, the few shots I found from the japanese edition look good

Yup, I've had mine pre-ordered since they announced it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowboy-Bebo...y+bebop+blu+ray

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

Yup, I've had mine pre-ordered since they announced it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowboy-Bebo...y+bebop+blu+ray

Releasing it as a two-part edition feels somewhat evil, but yeah, I'm obviously still buying this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At £25 per set, it still costs less than I paid for the DVD's back in the day.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sakurazuka posted:

At £25 per set, it still costs less than I paid for the DVD's back in the day.

I don't even object to the price, I'm just annoyed they'll be in two boxes instead of one. I know it's a really minor thing, but still...

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
http://www.karanokyoukai.com/box/index.html

Guess they're releasing another bluray box set.

I actually bought the first one that RightStuf brought over here, and I am selling it if this second box set is not an upscale like that one was.

I shall wait to see if it's a lovely upscale.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I very nearly threw down $300 or whatever it was to get the first box set, only to pull back when it was revealed to be an unremarkable upscale. If this set has English subs as well and it's actually HD, I'll probably try again. Y'all are this close to having my money for your laughably overpriced merchandise, please close the deal!

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Arion, Angel's Egg, and the original Record of Lodoss War were just announced for Blu-ray. Lodoss in particular I'm excited about given the notoriously crappy DVDs; while there are a few cases of old OVAs being released on Blu as terrible upscales (3x3 Eyes, Nuku Nuku), the title and description go out of their way to mention "Digitally Remastered" and "a new master," so hopefully we don't get screwed.

These join Porco Rosso, Arcadia of My Youth, Toward the Terra, the remaining Yamato movies, and of course Gundam and Mospeada on the slate for the latter half of the year. Good times.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Uh, does that movie have some kind of kult following in Japan or something, cause a bluray release of that was rather unexpected to me.

That movie is weird as gently caress.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Porco Rosso is my favorite Ghibli film, so that's nice. Going to be a while before it hits stateside though.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Buffis posted:

Uh, does that movie have some kind of kult following in Japan or something, cause a bluray release of that was rather unexpected to me.

I think it's developed a following after the fact because Mamoru Oshii went on to direct Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell, Sky Crawlers etc. and Yoshitaka Amano became the character designer for Final Fantasy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Porco Rosso is my favorite Ghibli film, so that's nice. Going to be a while before it hits stateside though.
I was starting to think I was the only one who held this opinion. Porco Rosso highfive.

Out of curiosity, what was crappy about the Lodoss DVDs?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anime Limited just announced the acquisition of the Gurren Lagann blu-ray's for the UK, it's the same deal as their Cowboy Bebop release, one set for DVD's, two sets for BR, which has upset some people but I'm just glad we're getting it. A company actually releasing stuff that isn't 'whoever uses the Manga Entertainment name nowadays' is always good (though Kaze seem to be doing a pretty decent job on that front at the moment too). Err, when they get round to releasing something anyway.

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

I think it's developed a following after the fact because Mamoru Oshii went on to direct Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell, Sky Crawlers etc. and Yoshitaka Amano became the character designer for Final Fantasy.

I always liked the fact the Oshii himself as gone on record as not being entirely sure what it's about.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Endorph posted:

Out of curiosity, what was crappy about the Lodoss DVDs?

Video quality. Blurry, lots of problems with interlacing, ghosting, etc. Probably made from old analog Laserdisc masters rather than from re-scanning the film digitally as is standard-ish practice now. The Japanese discs are very noisy (image-wise) and the American discs are filtered to death to compensate.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Buffis posted:

I think I can honestly say that it is one of the worst things I have ever seen.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
Angel's Egg rules. Definitely one of my favorites.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Two Worlds posted:

Angel's Egg rules. Definitely one of my favorites.

Hold the loving phone. Is this the Two Worlds?

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
This wasn't in the original announcement I saw, but it turns out The Cockpit is coming out the same day as Arion and Angel's Egg.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Between that and Arcadia of My Youth I am all sorts of excited for Leiji Matsumodo stuffs in HD. I wonder when they'll take the plunge and work on blu-rays of either the Captain Harlock or Galaxy Express 999 tv series. I don't think there's many movies and OVAs left.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Srice posted:

Between that and Arcadia of My Youth I am all sorts of excited for Leiji Matsumodo stuffs in HD. I wonder when they'll take the plunge and work on blu-rays of either the Captain Harlock or Galaxy Express 999 tv series. I don't think there's many movies and OVAs left.

The Queen Millennia movie came out on DVD right after Arcadia and was also from an HD print (I think), so I'd bet that would be next.

Arcadia of My Youth was my first real anime, in second grade. My head pretty much exploded.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
No news yet for a US/UK release of Evangelion 3?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Buffis posted:

No news yet for a US/UK release of Evangelion 3?

It's been licensed in US. That's pretty much it. Once it does it's subtitled theater run (I'm assuming it will do as the last 2 did) you can expect it a couple months out from that. I'd say expect it either late 2013 early 2014 at best.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
So I was pretty excited to read that Fate/Zero's coming out on Bluray.
http://www.fatezerousa.com/product-blu-ray-box-set-1.php
Too bad it's going the Gurren Lagann route and is loving expensive. Granted it's not like, $700 like Gurren Lagann but still. $150.
Oh and Roberta's Blood Trail comes out tomorrow.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
While not being Kara no Kyoukai stupid expensive, it's still up there. If the whole series was $150 I would jump on it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You're a lot more forgiving that I am. I wouldn't buy any single season series for 150 bucks, even as good as Fate/Zero was, and I don't feel at all guilty for saying that.

Aniplex can still eat all the poo poo forever, as far as I'm concerned. At least they seem to be SLOWLY lowering the prices towards the vicinity of 'Not loving Retarded', but if I've got the choice of picking up ALL of Roberta's Blood Trail (already on the way from Amazon at just around 23 bucks before shipping and handling), or paying seven times the cost of that so I can get merely half of Fate/Zero, I'm not even pretending I'll have Fate/Zero in my collection any time soon. There is absolutely no way for any distributor to rationalize this.

If the Japanese want their market to expand, particularly outside of Japan, they'll have to learn to price themselves competitively. Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned they can all go out of business catering to a shrinking population of increasingly fatter and lonlier nerds who WILL eventually be unable to keep sacrificing basic necessities and/or other forms of entertainment just so they can watch Saber-Chan Gets Mind Broken: The Series in the comfort of their full-body pillows and plastic figurines.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

fivegears4reverse posted:

You're a lot more forgiving that I am. I wouldn't buy any single season series for 150 bucks, even as good as Fate/Zero was, and I don't feel at all guilty for saying that.

Aniplex can still eat all the poo poo forever, as far as I'm concerned. At least they seem to be SLOWLY lowering the prices towards the vicinity of 'Not loving Retarded', but if I've got the choice of picking up ALL of Roberta's Blood Trail (already on the way from Amazon at just around 23 bucks before shipping and handling), or paying seven times the cost of that so I can get merely half of Fate/Zero, I'm not even pretending I'll have Fate/Zero in my collection any time soon. There is absolutely no way for any distributor to rationalize this.

Yes there is; Aniplex is making money on it. There has been a couple of interviews with Aniplex and unless they're talking complete poo poo, while they are not moving Funimation level of units, they are getting money from the exact crowd of people they are targeting and are actually making a profit on it. So until nerds stop spending all their money, Aniplex is going to keep on trucking.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

150, while not great, is still a fuckin shitload better than what I paid for complete series, dubbed, on VHS around y2k.

And fate zero is gorgeous, especially the first half.

Oh Jesus it's just for one season? That is... That is almost exactly what I paid for lovely dubs on lovely VHS, one tape at a time. That's is pretty bad.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

IIRC the Garden of Sinners boxset sold out during preorders. There's a rather niche audience that are hardcore enough to pay obscene prices and I can't blame Aniplex for wanting to milk that group for as much as they can. I would imagine that they'll be having a limited print run for this as well. High profit margins and low production costs, etc.

I don't like it either but if I were working at Aniplex I'd say "let's keep this up until it stops working". Dropping the price to a fifth of what it was would certainly guarantee more sales, but it's hard to say if it would result in over five times as many sales to make up for the lowered price (I mean, I could see that happening but it's still a risk nonetheless. And Aniplex appears to be quite risk averse what with their rather limited print runs).

• Locked thread