Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I seem to be getting an awful lot of rebellions these days. I've had like 5 Old Norse uprisings in the 20 or so years since reformation and recently I had a Dutch Catholic rebellion which almost won despite having a lot fewer soldiers than. I only control like 2 counties of Holland so I don't know they went after me instead of the Scots or the French.

e:
I´ve also been getting raided by a couple of Old Norse dudes who are my indirect vassals. I'm pretty sure that isn't supposed to happen.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

DrPop posted:

Goddamn people live way too long in vanilla CK2. As fun as it is playing a superdude into his 80s, it can really play hell with succession.

I just had a Viking Berserker God Emperor reign from age 6 to 91 and finally died in battle near the White Cliffs of Dover, after cleaving through innumerable Aztecs and cutting down their general. He outlived two wives, countless concubines, his three eldest children, his brothers and sisters, and most of his neices and nephews, and as far as I know was the last living person born in the 1100's at the time of his death. Under his reign Denmark went from a small Norse kingdom being ridden down by Catholic Norway to encompassing all of Scandinavia, Holland, most of Germany, and all of the British Isles.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Is the opinion penalty for having a heir educated by someone of another culture new? I've never noticied it before.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Reformed pagans gain holy war and Crusade CBs styled as "Great Holy Wars" but lose subjugation CB and defensive attrition.

I've reformed the Norse faith and am Fylkir, but I can't figure out how to call Great Holy Wars. I seem to still have the subjugation CB but not the attrition on enemies and no great holy war CB. Did something go wrong?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Wow, my kingdom is purring like a kitten now that I'm paying attention to Duchal title sharing and breaks between wars.

Found an odd thing though. I'm running absolute cognatic primogeniture, but Ireland is going to my older daughter, and Scotland is going to my younger son. Any idea what's causing it?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fender posted:

I've reformed the Norse faith and am Fylkir, but I can't figure out how to call Great Holy Wars. I seem to still have the subjugation CB but not the attrition on enemies and no great holy war CB. Did something go wrong?

Is it 1100 yet? If not, wait.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

LowellDND posted:

Wow, my kingdom is purring like a kitten now that I'm paying attention to Duchal title sharing and breaks between wars.

Found an odd thing though. I'm running absolute cognatic primogeniture, but Ireland is going to my older daughter, and Scotland is going to my younger son. Any idea what's causing it?

Are you sure both your kingdoms are on Absolute Cognatic?

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Dauntasa posted:

Is it 1100 yet? If not, wait.

I think this is it, thanks.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

I never expected the Muslims to be so fithly rich in this game. I'm playing as the Emirate of Kalbid in Sicily and only have control of the island portion. I'm making more than all of the doges ruling the merchant republics and more than the Byzantine emperor as well.
This says less about Muslims than it does about the Duchy of Sicily, which can get just ridiculously wealthy.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
You pack of assholes. I successfully finished a great holy war for Germany two days ago and this is how you thank me, by declaring a civil war again.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I seem to be getting an awful lot of rebellions these days. I've had like 5 Old Norse uprisings in the 20 or so years since reformation and recently I had a Dutch Catholic rebellion which almost won despite having a lot fewer soldiers than. I only control like 2 counties of Holland so I don't know they went after me instead of the Scots or the French.

e:
I´ve also been getting raided by a couple of Old Norse dudes who are my indirect vassals. I'm pretty sure that isn't supposed to happen.

It's not just you. I just met Jaques of the 13th Old Suomenusko uprising who for some reason thinks he can succeed where the previous 12 failed. It's getting old fast.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AAPsel posted:

It's not just you. I just met Jaques of the 13th Old Suomenusko uprising who for some reason thinks he can succeed where the previous 12 failed. It's getting old fast.

Yeah, uprisings are really frequent - but it seems like the frequency and size of the problem is related to religious differences in your counties. Ever since I started using my seer to target clusters of heretic counties, rebellions have been much fewer and smaller in size. Most of the trouble is on the front lines of the ongoing conquest into europe and my retinues live there anyway so rebellions are put down rapidly.

Also, the beta patch reduces rebellion frequency so if you're not running it you should give it a go.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

And then reality collapsed into itself and was reformed into the neckbeard dimension.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kalos posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a mod that makes the big fuckoff empires a little less stable in computer control? Sure they have their succession crises and civil wars, but I've never seen a large state really balkanize or get any sort of independence movement off the ground without player intervention. The only time I see significant changes in borders is when two massive states breed with each other enough that some lucky sap inherits both France and the HRE or something equally horrifying.

On that note...

CK2+ 2.00 Beta for Old Gods is out.

:dance:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

The beta patch seems to have tripled rebellions. And I hate the color change for Orthodox religion.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Shadeoses posted:

And then reality collapsed into itself and was reformed into the neckbeard dimension.

Is that... is that a Warhammer Fantasy mod?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

I started playing this again after Old Kinds game out and I'm having a bit of an odd issue with my succession.

I'm playing as the King of Scotland and after a few years I've picked up the Kingdom of Ireland. Both Kingdoms were under Tanistry succession, but I switched both to Seniority to make it easier to keep the two titles unified until I can create the Britannia Empire. The weird thing is, when my current ruler dies, my vassals do not pass to my heir and instead they are granted independence, which didn't happen under Tanistry succession.

Am I missing something?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Antti posted:

...Yes it is.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Antti posted:

What happens when someone in the Warhammer universe plays Warhammer? Do they call it Battlemace instead?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Tzeentch pops out of your rear end and eats you alive. You are eternally digested and forced to watch Married With Children.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

DrSunshine posted:

What happens when someone in the Warhammer universe plays Warhammer? Do they call it Battlemace instead?

It ain't Warhammer. They're playing a equivalent to a World War 2 game or some such.

Or to take it another way: the event needs re-writing, because such 'training' and 'game wars' would be important to think about a real war.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Just formed my first empire, Brittania.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HRu4mPSUZw :britain:

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

If anyone looking some of the DLC, the GameStop webstore has a lot of them on sale at the minute for £0.64-£1.60 each. Not Old Gods though. Crusader Kings II is on sale there today too for £12, just noticed, so if anyone knows someone who was looking to pick it up... :)

They all appear to be redeemable steam codes once you copy the code out of the Gamestop App and paste it into Steam, at least the ones I picked up were.

Edit: Does that Girl Power mod above work with the CKII+ 1.10 Beta?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 10, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
It's fictional Brittania, so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRIAw6LkqlE

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I just realized that I've had this game since it came out and I still have never once played long enough to form an empire. I have such a bad habit of restarting new games over and over and over. :saddowns:

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is there a mod that introduces a "fear" mechanic? Say I wanted to play a mad king with a penchant for lopping off the heads of anyone under me who displeases me, e.g., at the Banquet event and he loudly complains about my food. That means he's going to be lined up for a date with the headsmans block in the future.

Problem being that if you keep doing this everyone gets mad at you. So like is there a mod that switches the negative modifier after so many beheddings, to a "positive" one as your vassals are too drat scared for their lives to rebel...and at which point you need to keep doing a fair few beheadings each year in order to keep your vassals in line. Say by giving the "fear" mechanic a lesser effect over time (like the way levies work in regards to opinion) and if you don't keep an eye on it you vassals stop being afraid of you, think you've gone weak, and seek to overthrow you?

It would make for an interesting game, as you could have anyone outside your kingdom unnaffected by the fear mechanic, meaning that with you having to keep up with the beheadings, you're going possibly run out of targets, and your fear rating drops. Of course you can just invite random foreigners to your court to feed the axeman if you're a psychopath, give it a heafty negative modifier if you do this sort of action.

There probably isn't, it would just make for an amusing game is there was.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 10, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
For those curious, here is the changelog for the CK2+ beta patch!

CK2+ posted:

* Changelog *
2.00:
- Updated to The Old Gods.
- Removed Karling claims on each other to prevent the Carolingian Empire from immediately reforming.
- Cut most special Pagan CBs. Pagans can launch county conquests on a five-year cooldown timer but regular Pagan warfare will mostly be about raiding.
- Reformed Pagans can no longer loot, travel on rivers or prepare invasions (making them behave more like other organized religions and making it so reforming is not just a straight upgrade).
- Unreformed Pagans no longer have the regular factions, but are extremely prone to independence revolts.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
It appears not to work with v1.101, for the record. CTD on trying to start a new game. Maybe that's obvious but just in case someone didn't know :shobon: rolled back to 1.10 and it's fine.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ha, no matter what Wiz says but reforming paganism is not a straight upgrade in vanilla CK2, unreformed pagans never have a "levies raised too long" opinion penalty.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Reformed pagans can no longer loot? Well, gently caress that update.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

- Reformed Pagans :pcgaming::siren:can no longer loot, travel on rivers:siren::pcgaming: or prepare invasions (making them behave more like other organized religions and making it so reforming is not just a straight upgrade).
Looks like I'm sticking with vanilla!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dauntasa posted:

Looks like I'm sticking with vanilla!

Seriously! C'mon Wiz, get it together.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just starting out in Vanilla. I could not seem to abandon a siege of another county to relive a siege on my capital. Was I missing something?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Just make it so that everyone can loot and travel on rivers! Looting for all! Wasn't that pretty much the norm for every army in the past?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

DrSunshine posted:

Are you sure both your kingdoms are on Absolute Cognatic?

How do I check/change it? I would have thought that since I conquered and own both, it would just have the succession rules I implemented.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Also, it makes perfect historical sense that all of the Karling realms should have claims on each other (And I've still not seen Francia reform itself naturally).

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Ha, no matter what Wiz says but reforming paganism is not a straight upgrade in vanilla CK2, unreformed pagans never have a "levies raised too long" opinion penalty.

In vanilla, reformed pagan are undeniably the best religion in the game though. I'm also not sure I'd agree that a lack of "levies raised too long" penalties is such an awesome feature it makes up for perma gravelkind - especially when the beta patch removes your ability to use seers to prevent sons from inheriting. I can't imagine ever wanting to continue as unreformed pagan given the option.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

LowellDND posted:

How do I check/change it? I would have thought that since I conquered and own both, it would just have the succession rules I implemented.

You have to change the laws for every additional kingdom you own. Just go into the "Laws" tab and click on the flag of the Kingdom. This has caused some nervous hand-wringing for me before, when I managed to take control of England as Norway, or Ireland. I'd already made my Kingdom Agnatic-Cognatic Elective, but England was on Agnatic Primogeniture, so the realm was about to split up on succession.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
So, I had a courtier with a claim on a duchy and married her to one of my sons. I successfully pressed her claim in a war a year later, but my stupid son won't leave my court to go be with his wife and get to making babies. Am I screwed or will couples still make babies despite being in separate courts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

wolfman101 posted:

So, I had a courtier with a claim on a duchy and married her to one of my sons. I successfully pressed her claim in a war a year later, but my stupid son won't leave my court to go be with his wife and get to making babies. Am I screwed or will couples still make babies despite being in separate courts?

Yeah, you should be fine.

• Locked thread