Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Beamed posted:

I just realized: Does the Ruler Designer actually let you play as a female?
Of course. There's a button to swap gender on the appearance page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Very well. Carry on then, peons.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Please. We're serfs.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Count Beamed I gains the trait 'Arbitrary'.
Count Beamed I loses 10.0 prestige.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Rejected Fate posted:

I'd love it if more people posted music-appropriate suggestions for different CK rulers. I used to just listen to cague music that I enjoyed but now I feel like I'd like to listen to some appropriate music while playing.

In my Scottish Empire game, I just listened to classical radio. Time period-wise it's a terrible choice, but if you're the last hope of Christianity like I was it is suitably epic. Not sure what to suggest for the Norse: maybe Wagner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU

Yeah, go raiding to that.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

KPC_Mammon posted:

Agreed, the most challenging aspect of reforming the faith is making sure other Norse don't lose too many conquests, tanking Norse's authority.

For those experiencing problems keeping Moral Authority up, is this a later-game issue? 16 years into my current game Norse authority is sitting at 76.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Thanks for the DLC info guys. Since it seems a lot of the new features they introduce are given for free in the latest patches anyway, I think I'll hold off for now and pick and choose which ones seem interesting once I know the game better.

One last piece of advice please, lots of people seem to like the CK2+ mod and it doesn't seem too radically different from the vanilla game. Would it be a good idea to play right from the off with that mod? There doesn't seem to be any reason why I shouldn't, but maybe I'm missing something.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 10, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Reveilled posted:

For those experiencing problems keeping Moral Authority up, is this a later-game issue? 16 years into my current game Norse authority is sitting at 76.

Early-game Norse Authority fluctuates a lot - it goes up for each successful Conquest and Prepared Invasion, but down for each Holy War the Norse lose (and since you can't call Holy Wars pre-reformation, you can't win HWs to bump it back up) and also drops each time a Norse ruler converts.

If the Norse are doing well, it stays high, but if they slip it drops like a stone.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

tanglewood1420 posted:

One last piece of advice, lots of people seem to like the CK2+ mod and it doesn't seem too radically different from the vanilla game. Would it be a good idea to play right from the off with that mod? There doesn't seem to be any reason why I shouldn't, but maybe I'm missing something.

It's only just been updated to the latest version of the game and is still a little buggy. Aside from that, most of the fixes are for things that wouldn't bother a first-time player and it generally makes the game more difficult. Hold off for now.

And yes, one of the nice things about CK2 is that you don't need to buy any DLC to get the most up-to-date version or play with your friends or anything like that.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

CK2+ posted:

- Removed Karling claims on each other to prevent the Carolingian Empire from immediately reforming.

Is this a thing? I've only played/handsoffed a handful of games for any serious amount of time so this is obviously anecdotal, but in all my games so have the Karling realms never been united and and even if one guy manages to get 3+ of the kingdoms or so so will they always split up after he dies since it seems to be really hard for them to switch out of Gavelkind.

Also not sure about the no raiding for reformed pagan thing. I understand it from a balance perspective, but raiding (and capturing people) is one of the more fun things to do in CK2 and I wish that reformed pagans could be nerfed in other areas instead. But it's easily changeable so hey.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I've seen East and West Francia united a bunch of times. Seeing a big EAST in France makes me so angry. :argh:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Watching my vassals fight each other under low or no crown authority is pretty wild. I Balkanized everyone so no one had 2+ counties, and they have been nonstop faking claims, usurping duchies, and attacking each other for having too many duchies. My heir is going to have to fight a war just to rebalkanize them (and move the demense from Ireland to middlesex and York).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kainser posted:

Is this a thing? I've only played/handsoffed a handful of games for any serious amount of time so this is obviously anecdotal, but in all my games so have the Karling realms never been united and and even if one guy manages to get 3+ of the kingdoms or so so will they always split up after he dies since it seems to be really hard for them to switch out of Gavelkind.

It's relatively common for some of the four kingdoms to lose their Karling king; the problem is that when that happens, the remaining Karlings will then team up and push their claims. Two kingdoms is plenty of momentum at that point, and then the vanilla problem of empires being too stable takes over. The biggest I've seen a Karling empire get was Francia + Lotharingia + Italy, and the only things stopping it was me gaming their doomstacks, Hispania forming (!), and the fact that the Francian Karlings somehow lost the claim on Germany.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I didn't have a problem with the Karlings, mostly because my only game so far has been the goddamn Roman Empire reborn!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

occipitallobe posted:

Difficulty only really makes you comparatively weaker than the AI by giving you less morale and the AI more morale and money. It doesn't increase the size of enemy levies, so Very Hard isn't super different from normal in CK2. (And the massive fertility bonus on Very Easy in fact makes it harder to play effective Norse kingdoms, ironically enough)

Wouldn't an AI army with more moral be easier to kill to the last man? My retinue of 15k elite housecarls chase the Francia Emperor's armies all over Europe, if they'd stand and fight I'd have a much easier time.

The harder difficulties sound easier.

On that note, the +60% offensive power on housecarls has prevented me from picking up any other retinues. Do most people stack up on their unique retinues or use a mix of troops? I've found all heavy infantry all the time wins fights, especially with an emperor who specializes in heavy infantry, but has trouble eliminating doom stacks. I'll just chase them around the map picking up a few war score points at a time.

Who gets improved horse archers or heavy cavalry? Does having the large, elite retinues of cavalry make up for weaker levies?

I'm assuming unique heavy infantry is better for levies than other unique units, due to how many you can raise at castles. Unique pikemen seem like they'd be terrible for this reason. Is this not the case? Do other cultures get more pikemen or archers than heavy infantry?

What determines which unique units you have access to? Is it possible to double up on unique units?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Oh god the Umayyads just ate France and Aquitaine in one generation.

It maybe wouldn't be so maddening if the Asturias weren't still at their starting size :psyduck:

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Obliterati posted:

In my Scottish Empire game, I just listened to classical radio. Time period-wise it's a terrible choice, but if you're the last hope of Christianity like I was it is suitably epic. Not sure what to suggest for the Norse: maybe Wagner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU

Yeah, go raiding to that.

You listen to this: http://youtu.be/5THAwhjAZeA :black101:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Who gets improved horse archers or heavy cavalry? Does having the large, elite retinues of cavalry make up for weaker levies?

I'm assuming unique heavy infantry is better for levies than other unique units, due to how many you can raise at castles. Unique pikemen seem like they'd be terrible for this reason. Is this not the case? Do other cultures get more pikemen or archers than heavy infantry?

What determines which unique units you have access to? Is it possible to double up on unique units?

1. Heavy cavalry retinues are for IIRC, Latin and German cultures. The Byzantines get a mix of heavy cav and horse archers, and I think the Persians and probably steppe nomads get horse archers. I don't know who gets the buildings to improve the troops off the top of my head. Cavalry are generally much better in combat than infantry, which is why you don't get as many of them.

2. The bonus applies to culture specific retinues and only retinues (unless we're talking about the buildings, which usually give you a bunch of the guys they improve). Your unique retinues are always better than the equivalent levies, and usually better than most of the other retinues available, because of that bonus.

3. Unique retinues are culture specific. The only way to double up is to get a ruler of a different culture to inherit somebody else's retinues.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

What determines whether or not you can pursue all your claims in a war? I've only ever seen it once and I've been playing since release. For example, I'm playing as the Zoroastrian Karen dynasty and trying to take Merv and Bukhara from the Sunnis because I've got de jure claims on both, but all I see is this:

Only once has "Press All Claims" ever been an option for me, and I can't tell what's different between that single solitary instance and every other war I've ever had more than one claim. Are Bukhara and Merv owned by different people under the same liege and that stops me from going to war for both at once or something?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
You can only 'press all claims' on strong claims, your own strong claims not a vassals.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

KPC_Mammon posted:

Wouldn't an AI army with more moral be easier to kill to the last man? My retinue of 15k elite housecarls chase the Francia Emperor's armies all over Europe, if they'd stand and fight I'd have a much easier time.

The harder difficulties sound easier.

On that note, the +60% offensive power on housecarls has prevented me from picking up any other retinues. Do most people stack up on their unique retinues or use a mix of troops? I've found all heavy infantry all the time wins fights, especially with an emperor who specializes in heavy infantry, but has trouble eliminating doom stacks. I'll just chase them around the map picking up a few war score points at a time.

Sooo many questions but I will try answering them:

Higher morale is normally not as good when killing them. You can inflict huge losses on fleeing armies without taking any casualties yourself. Of course if you have a big advantage in the melee phase it may take you less battles to destroy their army but you would probably lose more men yourself.

Yes I do often use my unique retinue. The bonus is very strong for certain cultures. The housecarl retinue is strong with +60% defense, while the Irish retinue is also a heavy infantry unit, but with +defense, which is far less useful. Pikemen (Scots/Dutch/Italians) can be useful if you fight against cavalry heavy armies (i.e. Mongols), but they are generally weaker than heavy infantry retinues. The English/Welsh archer retinue can be quite strong as well, especially if you fight much smaller armies then your own. If you have a archer heavy army with a skilled commander he can use a tactic that gives +400% archer attack, combine that with high attack ratings in the skirmish phase and you can cripple your enemy even before reaching the melee phase. The downside is that you are basically hosed if the enemy survives with a good number of units and can hack your archers down in close combat. Note that archers have a much higher siege rating than heavy infantry, using archer heavy retinue to siege castles and your normal troops to defeat armies can be quite worthwhile.

But the best retinues are the Frankish/German heavy cavalry retinue, the Byzantine Cataphract retinue (heavy cavalry mixed with horse archers) and the Mongol horse archer retinue. There is no reason to use any other retinue than your unique one if you play as them, except if you rule a really huge empire to create archer retinues for sieging castles. Heavy cavalry and horse archers will murder absolutely everything.

Unique retinues are determined by your culture, so you cannot double up.

Edit: Beaten and redacted incorrect information.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Only once has "Press All Claims" eer been an option for me, and I can't tell what's different between that single solitary instance and every other war I've ever had more than one claim. Are Bukhara and Merv owned by different people under the same liege and that stops me from going to war for both at once or something?
Press All Claims is only for strong claims that you have on a single realm. De jure claims don't count and courtiers (unfortunately) don't count. This really should be put in the OP with :siren:s because I feel like it's one of the most common questions in this thread.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A Tartan Tory posted:

You can only 'press all claims' on strong claims, your own strong claims not a vassals.

Brutus Salad posted:

Press All Claims is only for strong claims that you have on a single realm. De jure claims don't count and courtiers (unfortunately) don't count. This really should be put in the OP with :siren:s because I feel like it's one of the most common questions in this thread.

Oh, I see, thank you both!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Grizzwold posted:

2. The bonus applies to culture specific retinues and only retinues (unless we're talking about the buildings, which usually give you a bunch of the guys they improve). Your unique retinues are always better than the equivalent levies, and usually better than most of the other retinues available, because of that bonus.

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to fully upgrade my housecarl training grounds, have my heir tutored by a Latin noble, and then next generation build the unique cavalry buildings?

Even if it was possible, I'm not sure it would be worth it. I've been personally grooming my heirs to great success.

Housecarl Training Grounds IV gives your heavy infantry levies the full 60% bonus. I used the advice earlier in the thread and put all of my personally controlled baronies in the same county, so your military adviser can vastly improve the size of all your personal levies.

One drawback I noticed with high tax rates: your vassals don't have as much money to develop their holdings. This is great for stability but has a terrible impact on the size of levies you can raise. Even though I have more holdings than Francia, Max Crown Authority, and very high vassal relations, Francia can still raise a larger army than me.

Even with the +30% levy size from being norse. The 35% tax rate really adds up over time.

This isn't due to my vassals being technologically backwards, I made as many weak dukes as possible. Too many, since organizing troops has become a hassle.

On the plus side, with so much power directed to the emperor, civil war is basically impossible.

I really like how consolidating too much power makes an empire weaker against outside threats. This game is incredible.

Edit: Research suggests that culture buildings are lost when the ruler's culture changes. Oh well.

Torrannor posted:

Higher morale is normally not as good when killing them. You can inflict huge losses on fleeing armies without taking any casualties yourself. Of course if you have a big advantage in the melee phase it may take you less battles to destroy their army but you would probably lose more men yourself.

Here is the problem I've run into, and why I'd like the opposition to last a bit longer. When my armies fight, the enemy will get several days of skirmishes, in which my housecarl retinues don't deal any damage. They also don't take damage. My commanders usually use the shield wall tactic, and both sides avoid any losses.

There is one day of heavy fighting. Usually the tooltip will tell me that my soldiers will do on average 16+ damage each. About half the enemy army is destroyed in this single day, maybe more, depending on their size.

They then immediately route, and my heavy infantry goes back to doing next to no damage.

Even one more day of actual fighting would be all I need to completely destroy most opposition completely. This is why higher difficulties sound 'easier'.

It makes sense, I'd run away from my armies too. They are slow and terrible at pursuit. I've hired mercenary cavalry, and they help, but no amount of gold will bring more mercenaries into existence. Every company and band has been hired by someone.

I'm tempted to take a Frankish or Basque concubine to raise my next heir, just to get access to better cavalry.

A Frankish heir would have an easier time conquering Europe without peasant revolts, right?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 10, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm tempted to take a Frankish or Basque concubine to raise my next heir, just to get access to better cavalry.

A Frankish heir would have an easier time conquering Europe without peasant revolts, right?

Basque culture gives you the lovely light cavalry retinue, so that won't help too much.

And why would the Franks have an easier time with peasant revolts? I don't see the connection.

Also I would not change culture lightly. This can easily lead to your vassals hating you. And you lose every investment in culture-dependent buildings.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Basque culture gives you the lovely light cavalry retinue, so that won't help too much.

And why would the Franks have an easier time with peasant revolts? I don't see the connection.

Also I would not change culture lightly. This can easily lead to your vassals hating you. And you lose every investment in culture-dependent buildings.

I was wondering if light cavalry was any good. Thanks for saving me from that mistake.

I could have sworn a region having a different culture gives a slight bump in peasant revolts. Even if this is true, its probably not worth it, since my existing peasants would start to hate me. My thought was having a Frank culture would help the transitional period before Franks were converted to the Norse faith.

I'm a terrible person and my empire is a theocracy. Between piety and being the head of my religion, vassal opinions rarely come up. Except for my rear end in a top hat half-brother merchant prince of Venice. We hate each other.

Edit: I didn't realize how overpowered theocracies were when I started. Its now impossible to change back to a proper feudal system without massive uprisings. I was just role-playing, honest!

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 10, 2013

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Brutus Salad posted:

Is this just a balance thing or is there something more logical to it? It doesn't seem to make any sense that you can have a bunch of legit claims on someone's territory and you can't just declare a war for the whole lot unless they pass some "strength" threshold. What's the other guy going to do, deny your request for a war?

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Probably a balance thing - it'd be a bit gamey to be able to press, for example, a few de jure county claims, maybe a personal claim, and a family member's claim simultaneously against one dude.

cemaphonic
Jan 1, 2011
I am trying out playing a merchant republic for the first time, and am wondering what the best way of going about setting up an orderly demesne is. I've pressed a forged claim while out of the doge's seat, and gained a count title, done the same as doge and gained a grand city title (but with the castle still showing in the capitol slot instead of the city) and tried the trade post>seize city>seize county claim to end up with a proper grand city. I've also noticed that it is pretty hard to revoke titles to juggle the capitols to your liking, but I didn't see any "wrong holding" type messages or penalties either.

So is there any downside to pursuing conquest via forged/inherited claims, or should a merchant republic stick to expansion via trading posts? Also, I've noticed that you can declare war on your rival patricians to take their trade posts. Can you then follow up and take their county-level titles as well? And do you get any benefit from the trade posts of rival patricians, or any downsides (other than them not liking you) to seizing them?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Torrannor posted:

I think he intends to take Frankish provinces, Peasant revolts are triggered by different culture/religion than liege or non-dejure territory fighting for independence. Taking out one of these factors lowers likelihood of revolts.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

KPC_Mammon posted:

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to fully upgrade my housecarl training grounds, have my heir tutored by a Latin noble, and then next generation build the unique cavalry buildings?

No - in fact, if your ruler is no longer the matching culture to your unique buildings, those unique buildings vanish (as I discovered when my Empire of Scandinavia accidentally allowed a Norman successor to be elected and all my expensive Houscarl buildings went away; the ability to recruit Knight retinues was not sufficient repayment).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

No - in fact, if your ruler is no longer the matching culture to your unique buildings, those unique buildings vanish (as I discovered when my Empire of Scandinavia accidentally allowed a Norman successor to be elected and all my expensive Houscarl buildings went away; the ability to recruit Knight retinues was not sufficient repayment).

People talk up heavy cavalry a lot but my retinue consisting only of thousands of heavy infantrymen has yet to lose against any enemy that isn't at least 3 times larger than it.

All the battles are hilarious because absolutely nothing happens in the skirmish phase and then as soon as it ticks over to melee the enemy army disintegrates in like 3 days. They're also very handy for raiding Constantinople because the Byzantine Emperor inherited Francia and now has enough manpower to spare 50,000 troops to go fight raiders. Since I can't maintain an army of more than around 20 thousand sieging Constantinople without them all starving to death being able to take on the Double Emperor's deathstack with only 18 thousand men is very, very nice. Also they seem to be very good at assaulting when I get impatient(or when some dickhead decides to launch the 16th Ossorian Independence League Revolt) and want my loot right away.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Grrr, had the Kingdom of Sweden and Norway under my control, finally the game kinda "clicked" was wrecking havok, murdering close relatives, subverting plots, it was great. Then one little bitch that my current king educated into some sort of super vassal rebels and my kingdoms are shattered!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Antti posted:

Is that... is that a Warhammer Fantasy mod?

Yes, and I would appreciate any help anyone offers for events and junk. Help me it's so lonely

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013

Grem posted:

Then one little bitch that my current king educated into some sort of super vassal

Yeah, that's where you made your mistake. You want to groom your future vassals to be obedient servants, not leaders who can challenge your rule.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been having trouble trying to get invasions working and all my troops get pissed off and leave. I've been playing as Jyllihghghbhhbhad and am allied into the fight against Northumberland and its allies, one of whom I'm trying to invade. Does that prevent me from declaring an invasion somehow?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

People talk up heavy cavalry a lot but my retinue consisting only of thousands of heavy infantrymen has yet to lose against any enemy that isn't at least 3 times larger than it.

All the battles are hilarious because absolutely nothing happens in the skirmish phase and then as soon as it ticks over to melee the enemy army disintegrates in like 3 days. They're also very handy for raiding Constantinople because the Byzantine Emperor inherited Francia and now has enough manpower to spare 50,000 troops to go fight raiders. Since I can't maintain an army of more than around 20 thousand sieging Constantinople without them all starving to death being able to take on the Double Emperor's deathstack with only 18 thousand men is very, very nice. Also they seem to be very good at assaulting when I get impatient(or when some dickhead decides to launch the 16th Ossorian Independence League Revolt) and want my loot right away.

How much is Constantinople worth? Venice usually nets a nice 50 gold for the capitol.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
edit: nm

Grem fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 11, 2013

R!
Nov 9, 2007
The Ghost of Pixels Past
Seems I have managed to break my game. By using the console to impregnate my character, I appear to have managed to create a perpetual pregnancy as the birth event doesn't seem to happen. Is there a known fix for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Is there something I can mod into the game to seriously prohibit AI blobbing? How does CK2+ do it?

• Locked thread