Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

BJG fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

BJG posted:

As an example of how the introduction might contain obscure clues...the moon in the New Orleans image has been likened to the Superdome.

The list of Fair Folk associated with this, the French image, includes the "Dames Blanche" or "White Ladies". Draughts is also called "Dames", and the background looks like a chessboard or draughts board. There's also a bunch of "white lady" statues in Jackson Square.

(A couple of people have thought that small building in the corner of the square might be worth checking out...dunno what it is. Count the bricks if you happen to visit just in case there's 21 across.)

BJG fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 10, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Nesetril posted:

Charleston

This is a little crazy, but someone said they wanted the pine+pear to be a wordplay. Well, the pine looks like a larch to me. Pear+larch = pearl arch?

I think I figured out the significance of the pear, two options.

It either represents the Silas N Pearman bridge (which was torn down along with it's sister bridge. and replaced with the Ravenall Bridge in 2005) which could mean the picture is simply indicating the pine as the road and the pear as the beginning of the bridge. The daisy could also be pointing toward highway 17 because of it's 17 petals.

Another thought for the daisy is that it could represent St Margarette. There is a St Margarette st near the Hampton Park, which is south of Cypress St.

Also I'm thinking Cask 2 could be related to baseball.

Baseball:
The Fort Sumter mask also kinda resembles a home plate, The infield is often called a "Diamond", and the infield of some of these fields does resemble a peach:

This is kinda making me thing that poem 7 is also potentially related to Cask 2. Because there was a USS Stonewall Jackson submarine that often visited there to get it's weapons systems reloaded and an object of Twain's attention was baseball.

At stone wall's door - Where the USS Stonewall jackson entered from the ocean.
The air smells sweet - Ocean air.
Not far away
High posts are three - Fort Sumter Flags?
Education and Justice - The Citadel, Navy Academy?
For all to see

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

Running north, but first across

In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention - Baseball Fields

Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

or
Poem 5:
Lane Two twenty two - 2202 St Margaret St, Charleston, SC

You'll see an arc of lights - Stadium Lights? (there's a football stadium to the south and two baseball fields to the east)

"Weight and roots extended
Together saved the site"

"Of granite walls
Wind swept halls
Citadel in the night" - The Citadel

A wingless bird ascended - Baseball
Born of ancient dreams of flight - Batters Hopes, Baseball is a really old game?

Beneath the only standing member - The batter?

Of a forest _ Players in the fields?
To the south

White stone closest - Base? First Base? Home Plate?
At twelve paces
From the west side
Get permission
To dig out. - The dugout? Is it buried in the Dug out?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 10, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ManlyWeevil posted:

What if the image's connections with New York aren't for the city but for the state? The connected poem reads:

What if thats referring to how the city always eclipses the rest of the state?

My theory with this is that there is that email where Preiss claims that the verses play an important role in the puzzles. The verse for 12 reads:

Well, sunstone is a completely different gem than a Topaz. Incidently, there are significant sunstone deposits near Crown Point (royal), New York. Crown point is also the site of one of two bridges (slender path) across Lake Champlain, which was a toll bridge (arm that extends over) until 1987. Some of the other lines aren't a stretch, but I don't have any good suggestions.

e: There's an old fort near the bridge, and a monument to Champlain, but I'm not sure either are helpful.

I thought about upstate locations, but then realized that with the image so NYC specific, if it didn't actually relate to the city there was bupkis to go on. It could be anywhere. The combination of the two is supposed to take us to a very specific spot, and "somewhere in the state of New York" isn't very helpful.

Also, I think the blue circles refer to trees in a park somewhere. Note how many of them cross the vertical line, as overhanging branches would. One of them is highlighted, probably indicating where to dig. The appropriate verse will get us to that particular spot.

Eta: Although I guess "shadow of the grey giant" could imply somewhere close by in New Jersey. If it's not NYC proper, it's got to be in the neighborhood of it because otherwise :can:.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 10, 2013

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
Charleston

Does anyone have an idea why that pear (or whatever) fruit is growing on what looks like a spruce pine? Is there anyway it's a stylized pine cone and not actually a fruit at all?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Emacs Headroom posted:

Charleston

Does anyone have an idea why that pear (or whatever) fruit is growing on what looks like a spruce pine? Is there anyway it's a stylized pine cone and not actually a fruit at all?

We've been trying to figure it out. It's been suggested in this thread that it might be some kind of rebus. I looked up pine species, and that thing doesn't even come close to looking like most cones, even a stylized one. We figure there's gotta be a reason a pear is on an evergreen. Some of the thoughts so far were "pair of pines" or that the pear is a specific species that relates back to the man that species was named after, since that man was a famous French botanist who visited Charleston at one point in his life.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Orange_Lazarus posted:

The Fort Sumter mask also kinda resembles a home plate, The infield is often called a "Diamond"

(For reference, here's an old post about that from Q4T - didn't really know what the guy was talking about TBH.)

quote:

thought the drawing of ft. Sumpter looked like home plate on a baseball "diamond" and since baseball was invented at fort moultrie and diamonds are the birthstone for April...the field south of ft moultrie is even where spring training started for a while

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

Also, I think the blue circles refer to trees in a park somewhere. Note how many of them cross the vertical line, as overhanging branches would. One of them is highlighted, probably indicating where to dig. The appropriate verse will get us to that particular spot.

I'm going to nay-say your theory here, because trees change all the time from storms/age. It would also be very difficult to find one tree in a forest from this picture. None of the other casks found had anything like this necessary to solve them.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

BJG posted:

(For reference, here's an old post about that from Q4T - didn't really know what the guy was talking about TBH.)

Ah I wasn't aware baseball was invented at Fort Moultrie. I really think we should be categorizing all of the fields in Charleston.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

BJG posted:

Yeah, not really sure where that person is pulling "baseball was invented at Ft. Moultrie" from.

Edit: Well, apparently Abner Doubleday, supposed inventor of baseball (though he never made the claim that he invented it) was stationed at Sumter and is known as the hero of Sumter for firing the first return volley in defense of Ft. Sumter. So it might be worth looking into him as a connection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abner_Doubleday

Baseball was "invented" in Cooperstown, NY, btw. Hence the Baseball Hall of Fame there.

Double Edit: Excuse me, he was initially stationed at Ft. Moultrie, and then moved to Sumter it seems.

TotalHell fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 10, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Sounded unlikely to me too.

Preiss and Palencar may well have had baseball in mind as one of their sources for this image. But as far as Charleston is concerned, I know I sound like a broken record, but I'd still like someone to dig next to this monument, between the tree and the stone on the west side.

Branches either side and white stone in the middle. Simple.

BJG fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 10, 2013

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
NYC

Deteriorata posted:

Eta: Although I guess "shadow of the grey giant" could imply somewhere close by in New Jersey. If it's not NYC proper, it's got to be in the neighborhood of it because otherwise :can:.

The eagle's features evoke ship's slips. That and the statue of liberty's face and the wave/water really makes you think about the shoreline especially on the Jersey side.

I have been trying to tie some sort of linear movement to the picture. IE: Slips at Staten Island Ferry terminal- see the Statue of Liberty- see Ellis Island- St. George Terminal. The eagle mascot for St. Peters etc. etc.

I was also thinking about Preiss and how he was a NYC Native and therefore this puzzle may be the most esoteric of the lot. Could Preiss be "Him of hard words" ?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nocheez posted:

I'm going to nay-say your theory here, because trees change all the time from storms/age. It would also be very difficult to find one tree in a forest from this picture. None of the other casks found had anything like this necessary to solve them.

On the other side, he wasn't anticipating it taking 30 years. Comparing maps of today versus maps of 1995 or so, I've generally found the trees haven't really changed much other than getting bigger. A few are missing here and there, but by far most are still readily visible.

We also have only two solutions out of 12 so far, so the sample is pretty small. It's rather premature to be declaring what he did or did not do for clues.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Viking Blood posted:

NYC
I was also thinking about Preiss and how he was a NYC Native and therefore this puzzle may be the most esoteric of the lot. Could Preiss be "Him of hard words" ?

It's "him of Hard word" with Hard capitalized and singular. I'm pretty sure that must mean something (my pet theory is still that's it's Rockefeller, rocks being hard and Rockefeller being someone the natives still speak of)

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
I havent looked over or payed attention to any of the illustrations aside from the Roanoke one, but the fairy really looks familiar. As in, was there a super model or actress that had a famous poster in a very similar pose as that in the late 70's?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Sham I Am posted:

I havent looked over or payed attention to any of the illustrations aside from the Roanoke one, but the fairy really looks familiar. As in, was there a super model or actress that had a famous poster in a very similar pose as that in the late 70's?

Well, she's in a pose that's very similar to the crucified Christ (other than her arms being in instead of extended). But I'm guessing that's not what you were thinking of.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Sham I Am posted:

She looks a bit like Wonder Woman. The memorial has "Heroes" on the top in large letters.

BJG fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 10, 2013

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Milwaukee

I was thinking the line "As you walk the beating of the world" might refer to Mason St.

Masonry is essentially beating on rock on clay (the world), and Mason St. could narrow things down to either City hall (west) or Lincoln Memorial Dr. (east)

The only thing I'n not sure of is are there any 3 story Mitchell related buildings that you can see from Mason?

e: It could also refer to Prospect Ave for the same reason, and prospect intersects with Juneau and Kilbourn (2 of the 3 who lived there?) Maybe another prospect intersection is the third?

Jimong5 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 10, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Molly Bloom posted:

Distorted NYC library lion?
Iit's not an exact match. Here's a quick approximation of what it would look like unfolded.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Neutrino posted:

Milwaukee

A few pictures from Pere Marquette Park.

Good find! Any other clues fit the area?

Jimong5 posted:

Milwaukee

I was thinking the line "As you walk the beating of the world" might refer to Mason St.

Masonry is essentially beating on rock on clay (the world), and Mason St. could narrow things down to either City hall (west) or Lincoln Memorial Dr. (east)

Good thought. Also, Beating of the world may have referred to Summerfest. Back then it was also called the Milwaukee World Festival or something like that and "beats" referring to music.

Re: Bus Route 92
I received a reply back from MCTS about bus routes in 1982 and there was a bus route 92 that went across Oklahoma and up 35th to the county stadium. Doesn't really fit but it is worth noting.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

Iit's not an exact match. Here's a quick approximation of what it would look like unfolded.

Plus they're a pair -- Patience and Fortitude. They're meant to be together.

The same reason I don't think the rectangle could be one of the old Twin Towers. Their identity was always as part of the duo; if it was meant to represent the old WTC there would have to be two of them. Otherwise you might as well have a brick or a window or piece of rebar and call that representative of the buildings.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Houston

I went ahead and grabbed the SP982 Locomotive Mega Movers episode from iTunes. I'm not sure there's anything worth seeing, but I'm still watching. The forest directly behind the locomotive was pretty extensive back then, though. Today it is mostly gone and paved over, which might be tragic for our quest. I hope he buried it a little ways from the train and not right next to it.

The thing that bothers me most about Houston is that every other image seems to have very concrete identifiers -- "this is where you should dig" -- both in the picture and in the verse. The Houston one has neither, or at least, none we've identified.

einTier fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 10, 2013

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
NYC

Out of interest I measure the approximate dimensions of the rectangle on the left pane of the window-thing. Assuming the scan kept the proportions relatively intact, they come out as about 2.72:1 (I used photoshop since not all monitors display things in 1:1 horizontal:vertical proportions).

2.72 is just about the natural logarithm base, or "Euler's number". Since Euclid featured in the other solution, maybe Euler features in this one? Except there's no Euler St. as far as I can tell.

There's also a possibility that the proportions match some other rectangular shape in NYC (Central Park was already out, but out of interest I checked and it's closer to 5:1).

Emacs Headroom fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 10, 2013

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

Emacs Headroom posted:

NYC

Out of interest I measure the approximate dimensions of the rectangle on the left pane of the window-thing. Assuming the scan kept the proportions relatively intact, they come out as about 2.72:1 (I used photoshop since not all monitors display things in 1:1 horizontal:vertical proportions).

2.72 is just about the natural logarithm base, or "Euler's number". Since Euclid featured in the other solution, maybe Euler features in this one? Except there's no Euler St. as far as I can tell.

There's also a possibility that the proportions match some other rectangular shape in NYC (Central Park was already out, but out of interest I checked and it's closer to 5:1).

UN Headquarters

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Montreal

PunkNickel posted:

Also, that shows how the Greek theme tied into the picture.

So for Montreal we'd be looking for tying in the Netherlands to the clues that are on the picture.

Such as the Boer War statue.

Has anyone considered comparing the horse's legs on the Boer War statue to the guy's fingers in the image?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

einTier posted:

Houston

I went ahead and grabbed the SP982 Locomotive Mega Movers episode from iTunes. I'm not sure there's anything worth seeing, but I'm still watching. The forest directly behind the locomotive was pretty extensive back then, though. Today it is mostly gone and paved over, which might be tragic for our quest. I hope he buried it a little ways from the train and not right next to it.

The thing that bothers me most about Houston is that every other image seems to have very concrete identifiers -- "this is where you should dig" -- both in the picture and in the verse. The Houston one has neither, or at least, none we've identified.

This is how I feel about what (I guess is now) the Boston/St Louis one.

Images I think are important there are the facade on the box & possibly the bird but nothing has been matched at all, unless you think the bird exists solely to make a pig head in the negative space around the claw.

Dunno, just not seeing how this thing can be in Boston if we've got one in StL.

Fatz
Jul 1, 2011
CASK 12 (NYC)

The dots within the arches at the top of the picture remind me so much of the vision tests I have to take every year. I think there's numbers in the one on the left, but I can't quite make it out. Maybe one is the color filter for another?

They look like this to me: (example from google)

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
This is what happens when you spend way too long looking at the same picture.

First the original...

Ok, so it's a bit of a reach!

Edit: The statue is Ponce De Leon, located in the Plaza de la Constitucion in St. Augustine.

Very Nice Eraser fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 10, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
NYC

quote:

In the shadow
Of the grey giant
Could this refer to the Obelisk in Central Park? It seems like Central Park would be a natural space for him to bury it in back then. It's one of the few locations in New York where you can get any kind of privacy -- and it seems his digs were clandestine -- and it's accessible and mostly empty after dark, especially in the 1980's. It's big, so lots of places to hide it, and it's a pretty central and defining aspect of NYC that is unlikely to change in the near future. Plus, he seems to really like public parks for his burials.

einTier fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 10, 2013

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

einTier posted:

NYC

Could this refer to the Obelisk in Central Park? It seems like Central Park would be a natural space for him to bury it in back then. It's one of the few locations in New York where you can get any kind of privacy -- and it seems his digs were clandestine -- and it's accessible and mostly empty after dark, especially in the 1980's. It's big, so lots of places to hide it, and it's a pretty central and defining aspect of NYC. Plus, he seems to really like public parks for his burials.

I believe the author ruled out Central Park

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Viking Blood posted:

UN Headquarters

I couldn't find the width on the UN Headquarters online, so I had to open Google Earth. If Google Earth is correct, then the UN Headquarters is ~85m across, which gives the dimensional ratio of 155:85 ~ 1.8:1

Still a lot closer than one of the Twin Towers!

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

Emacs Headroom posted:

I couldn't find the width on the UN Headquarters online, so I had to open Google Earth. If Google Earth is correct, then the UN Headquarters is ~85m across, which gives the dimensional ratio of 155:85 ~ 1.8:1

Still a lot closer than one of the Twin Towers!

Yeah I think it's sort of an urban legend that the UN building is based on the Golden Mean

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Viking Blood posted:

I believe the author ruled out Central Park

But I also think he misled people on the Houston location. People keep looking around the Children's Zoo, but I can't find anything that links it there other than him saying something cryptic about not being a waste of time to dig there, but couldn't tell you what you'd find. The clues seem to point outside the zoo, and it seems like it would be very difficult to bury inside the zoo. Plus, he didn't seem too distressed that the Children's Zoo was being demolished, even though that might mean the cask would never be found.

I think he was playing a game with that comment, and maybe the one about Central Park. Where else could you bury it in NYC?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jimong5 posted:

Milwaukee

I was thinking the line "As you walk the beating of the world" might refer to Mason St

Well what else beats?

Hearts - the heart of the city
Drums
Bird wings
Raindrops
Games - someone beats someone else Brewers, Bucks
Sun - sunlight beats down
Beets? - red and juicy
Menomonee River valley was known as the "machine shop of the world". It was also in the heart of the city. If you walked there from the domes it would make sense.

if wishes were knishes
Mar 5, 2006

Hi I'm Buddy-dot-gif

Neutrino posted:

Well what else beats?

Hearts - the heart of the city
Drums
Bird wings
Raindrops
Games - someone beats someone else Brewers, Bucks
Sun - sunlight beats down
Beets? - red and juicy
Menomonee River valley was known as the "machine shop of the world". It was also in the heart of the city. If you walked there from the domes it would make sense.

Following that theme, the only thing I could realistically see "Beating the World" that you could follow would be the Sun, and it seems simple enough to fit in with the whole "West of L" thing that was in one of the solved puzzles.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

einTier posted:

But I also think he misled people on the Houston location. People keep looking around the Children's Zoo, but I can't find anything that links it there other than him saying something cryptic about not being a waste of time to dig there, but couldn't tell you what you'd find. The clues seem to point outside the zoo, and it seems like it would be very difficult to bury inside the zoo. Plus, he didn't seem too distressed that the Children's Zoo was being demolished, even though that might mean the cask would never be found.

I think he was playing a game with that comment, and maybe the one about Central Park. Where else could you bury it in NYC?

Well, Hamilton was born in the West Indies so fill your boots...

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

I believe what he later said when pressed about it was "All I can say is I."

Because of how strange it is, I'm wondering if it is, itself a clue. Could the second "I" be a Roman numeral 1? There's two I can point out, one in the middle of the orb pillar and one near the top of the camel pillar.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Fatz posted:

CASK 12 (NYC)

The dots within the arches at the top of the picture remind me so much of the vision tests I have to take every year. I think there's numbers in the one on the left, but I can't quite make it out. Maybe one is the color filter for another?

They look like this to me: (example from google)

I see the Aries astrological sign tilted to the right (in the left panel, not your image,) and I have full color vision.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Houston: I work literally next door to Herman park. I'm there about 6 days a week. I wish there was something more concrete I could do, because this all is pretty cool, but I'm pretty busy most the time. There's nothing little I could do on say a lunch break is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Fatz posted:

CASK 12 (NYC)

I ran the NYC image through red, yellow, green, cyan, yellow, and magenta filters and got nothing. I also superimposed each bubble-panel on each other panel (taking differences) and got nothing. I'll screw around with it some more but I'm avoiding anything that somebody couldn't have done in the 80's with a sheet of cellophane or by holding the page of the book up to a light.