Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Today's beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

the yellow dart posted:

All of Sixpoint's stuff finally made it down here - my four-pack of Resin is chilling for later. Apollo later this week, for sure.

Many here will poo poo on their beer, but I think Resin, Apollo, Bengali Tiger, and Sweet Action are all good beers.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Midorka posted:

Many here will poo poo on their beer, but I think Resin, Apollo, Bengali Tiger, and Sweet Action are all good beers.

3Beans made it down here a while ago for an unknown reason and I enjoyed that immensely. Smooth and rich, with the alcohol taste well hidden. I'm excited to try their standard lineup.

In other news, Founders has a coming soon poster at the local craft beer store! Huzzah!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Midorka posted:

Resin, Bengali Tiger, and Otis are Great. The first two are usually my default when I hit my corner bar and their draft list sucks. The latter I think is phenomenal, but the only time I've ever had it is on nitro and it's loving fantastic that way. When my local haunt tapped it I stopped by every day for a pint until it kicked.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Weyerbacher Reserva is delicious and the raspberries are a perfect tart compliment.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I'm having an Oro de Calabaza, bottled 10-15-2010. Beautiful beer. I was leery about this much age on it, but it's sublime.

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 10, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

So many people posting new beers or what's new to them, go us! :grouphug:

Hit up the newest piece of the Stone Brewing empire, their bigger-than-the-mothership location brewery/restaurant/pretty drankin' grounds. The whole place is well designed, heavily populated but not crowded. Much better for people with kids than the Escondido location too.

Aside from finally finding food I liked on their menu, I tried Witty Moron, a 4.9% witbier with dark malt. Lacked the Belgian bite I enjoy in a wit, but it's very sessionable, no complaints.

Got home and moved on to the AleSmith Grand Cru agreed in red wine barrels. Slightly thin, busy nose with dirt/tobacco and some stone fruits. I'd love for them to do a blend of this and the 2012 Decadence, a Quad.

I was dissapointed by the Barrel Aged Grand Cru mostly because I thought it was worse than the base beer, which I did in a side by side at the release party. Glad I didn't end up forking $30 a bottle for it.

I went to the Bruery this weekend, however, and was pleasantly surprised to find a couple of beers that I actually liked (although they were still way too expensive). Sans Pagaie is nice and tart, really nice. Too expensive at $20 a bottle, but its got some serious tartness to it. Bois in the Bourbon Barrels was also great, but too expensive at $30 a bottle, but at the least its definitely an interesting beer.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I was dissapointed by the Barrel Aged Grand Cru mostly because I thought it was worse than the base beer, which I did in a side by side at the release party. Glad I didn't end up forking $30 a bottle for it.

I went to the Bruery this weekend, however, and was pleasantly surprised to find a couple of beers that I actually liked (although they were still way too expensive). Sans Pagaie is nice and tart, really nice. Too expensive at $20 a bottle, but its got some serious tartness to it. Bois in the Bourbon Barrels was also great, but too expensive at $30 a bottle, but at the least its definitely an interesting beer.

I really enjoy their Sour in the Rye.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Bruery is such a disappointment because even their "affordable" beers aren't really affordable. Hottenroth is delicious but I am not paying 9 bucks for a bottle of Berliner on a regular basis.

I ended up doing nothing last night Geigs so I'm very upset I didn't go to the Buddha :(

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JackDarko posted:

I really enjoy their Sour in the Rye.

Sans Pagaie is better than Sour in the Rye, but harder to get (you either have to get it shipped or buy it there). At least its the same price.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Bruery is such a disappointment because even their "affordable" beers aren't really affordable. Hottenroth is delicious but I am not paying 9 bucks for a bottle of Berliner on a regular basis.

I ended up doing nothing last night Geigs so I'm very upset I didn't go to the Buddha :(

I want to like the Bruery, but I can't shake the feeling that that the whole setup is basically a rich man's club for the sake of being in a rich man's club. I get that the industry is trying to set up beer as wine, but the Bruery's about a hundred years too early to the party.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 10, 2013

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Sans Pagaie is better than Sour in the Rye, but harder to get (you either have to get it shipped or buy it there). At least its the same price.

I want to like the Bruery, but I can't shake the feeling that that the whole setup is basically a rich man's club for the sake of being in a rich man's club. I get that the industry is trying to set up beer as wine, but the Bruery's about a hundred years too early to the party.

I'll make sure to try that one, I live close enough to the site to the point where it isn't an issue. Like you said it is a bit pricey though.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Had Revolution Bean Gene on tap at Whole Foods south loop and while it's pretty good, I prefer coffee eugene. My wife and I felt there wasn't enough coffee. Though, the barrel notes were really nice and it was much better than Mean Gene.

I also bought http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/87728 after the guys at my bottle shop convinced me (with a large discount on the bottle...).

I'm pretty sure I've made a huge mistake.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

Had Revolution Bean Gene on tap at Whole Foods south loop and while it's pretty good, I prefer coffee eugene. My wife and I felt there wasn't enough coffee. Though, the barrel notes were really nice and it was much better than Mean Gene.

I also bought http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/87728 after the guys at my bottle shop convinced me (with a large discount on the bottle...).

Sigh... STOP BUYING THAT.

As for the Rev's stuff... I'll take standard Eugene and Coffee Eugene over any of the BA'd versions.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Compusaurus posted:

At least you recognized it as a mistake. I've got a bottle in my cellar that my girlfriend bought with the reasoning "it can't possibly be as bad as everyone says it is." Yet, whenever I ask her if she wants it, her response is invariably "ugh, no."

I'd stop going to that bottle shop though. The people who convinced you to buy it are jerks. I understand trying to move inventory, but seriously, convincing people who don't know any better to buy that crap will turn them off of trying new things entirely.

Also, every time I go into any reasonably busy and well stocked store that carries voodoo donut abortion there is always some jagaloon who walks in, heads straight for it and buys a bottle or two. I've just started noticing this phenomenon. I saw it a few times at wegman's the other day. People are all over that crazy pink bottle.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

I've always said that the Bruery needs to stop the $30 bottles and get their price down to $25 - a lot of their beers sit for months at the $30 price point, there are some stores that still have last year's anniversary beer on the shelves.

If I lived in a beer-saturated market like Portland, Chicago, or Denver, I'd probably pass up Bruery bottles but they've cornered their market well - $9 for a berliner is a lot but how many other berliners can you choose from if you want a bottle of that style? Pipeworks berliners are just as expensive, Bells has the Oarsman, and that's about it.

The same applies for sours (particularly fruited sours) - there aren't tons of fruited sours on the shelves, with the exception of the Goose Island sisters, which range anywhere from $16-$20 for a 650 ml. I think their sours are priced competitively.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'd stop going to that bottle shop though. The people who convinced you to buy it are jerks. I understand trying to move inventory, but seriously, convincing people who don't know any better to buy that crap will turn them off of trying new things entirely.

I should rephrase, it was more of a joke than anything else and I'm pretty certain they sold it to me at or below cost. I'm also a regular there so I have a pretty good rapport with them. Regardless, it'll be amusing to see my friends faces at our next bottle share when I bring out that atrocity.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Some guy at a small bottle shop suggested that beer to me last week. I couldn't tell if he was joking or not. I was there for a very specific beer request so I'm hoping he was doing it as a sort of "in" joke.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

I should rephrase, it was more of a joke than anything else and I'm pretty certain they sold it to me at or below cost. I'm also a regular there so I have a pretty good rapport with them. Regardless, it'll be amusing to see my friends faces at our next bottle share when I bring out that atrocity.

But you're economically supporting "the joke." I guess if the guys at the shop are just trying to get rid of it, there's no harm. The problem is when a standard shop sees people buy it- even as a gag- and re-stocks. This encourages Rogue to keep making it and it's variations. So please, people who have taste in beer, stop purposely buying bad beer!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Super Fresh Troegs Double Trouble - according to the guy who poured it, it was kegged on 5/27. I've had it before but having it this fresh it tastes like a whole other beer. Ended up bringing home a growler of this.

Did you mean Founders or did I miss something?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Drank a ridiculous amount of beer this weekend including '12 Abyss, '13 KBS, '13 Parabola, '13 Saison Brett.
The biggest standout was Enjoy By 07.04.13, to the point where I bought two more bottles and went back to Common Table for another pour last night.

Heady Topper is the only other IIPA I've tried with an outstanding interaction of aroma/flavor like this beer: huge piney and citrus scent, crisp mouthfeel and slightly dry. Very apparent hop bite, and toys along the edge of overwhelming your palate. I found the smell much bigger out of a pour from the bottle than the tap. The best part is the ease of finding it, which keeps improving as they roll out batch after batch. If this keeps going, I don't know if I'll be able to buy any other IPA's in the market since it's at such a good price point too.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
We have a poo poo ton of the peanut butter Rogue and I always discourage people from buying it despite my manager being pissed about it. He says that if someone is picking it up to try it then we shouldn't say anything because otherwise no one will buy it. I usually ask if they've had it first, if they say no then I suggest against it. If they have then I just smile and tell them to enjoy then.

I can't even fathom why he ordered it if he hates having it in the store and it doesn't sell well.

Last night I opened a ~6 month old Black Ops and I really love this beer. It's one of my favorite "off the shelf" BBA imperial stouts. Lots of chocolate and coffee backed by prominent bourbon.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

$9 for a berliner is a lot but how many other berliners can you choose from if you want a bottle of that style? Pipeworks berliners are just as expensive, Bells has the Oarsman, and that's about it.

Fritz Briem if you're lucky, or Grand Teton Howling Wolf. Westbrook does Weisse Weisse Baby (which is awesome), but distro is limited. It's a pretty limited style in general, and consequently my favorite.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

danbanana posted:

But you're economically supporting "the joke." I guess if the guys at the shop are just trying to get rid of it, there's no harm. The problem is when a standard shop sees people buy it- even as a gag- and re-stocks. This encourages Rogue to keep making it and it's variations. So please, people who have taste in beer, stop purposely buying bad beer!

Until more breweries start making beer in pink bottles its probably going to keep selling despite any warnings or ratings against it.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

Honestly, sometimes I just want to try something off the wall even if I'm pretty certain it'll be awful. I have a pretty decent palate when it comes to both food and beer but god forbid I eat or drink something "below" my palate.

On a separate note, my friends and I decided this weekend to do a Anniversary Beer release tasting. We are up to Unita 20th Birthday Suit, Great Divide 19th Anniversary Ale, New Glarus 20th Anniversary, and of course GI 25th Anniversary. Anyone know of any other ones that might be worth picking up?

Edit: because palate and pallet are the same thing.

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 10, 2013

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Compusaurus posted:

On a separate note, my friends and I decided this weekend to do a Anniversary Beer release tasting. We are up to Unita 20th Birthday Suit, Great Divide 19th Anniversary Ale, New Glarus 20th Anniversary, and of course GI 25th Anniversary. Anyone know of any other ones that might be worth picking up?

Firestone 16, except at this point I imagine it may be hard to find. If you do get a bottle, I have no hesitation saying it's the best beer I've had this year.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Firestone 16, except at this point I imagine it may be hard to find. If you do get a bottle, I have no hesitation saying it's the best beer I've had this year.

FW16 was pretty disappointing to me. Maybe my least-favorite BA'd FW beer I've had.

That said... Compusaurus, I've seen FW16 ar a few suburban shops if you're looking for it. It's way gone in the city.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

That said... Compusaurus, I've seen FW16 ar a few suburban shops if you're looking for it. It's way gone in the city.

As it turns out, one of the guys who will be joining us has a bottle of FW16 so it looks like that's one more added to the list.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Compusaurus posted:

Honestly, sometimes I just want to try something off the wall even if I'm pretty certain it'll be awful. I have a pretty decent pallet when it comes to both food and beer but god forbid I eat or drink something "below" my pallet.

gross, i definitely wouldn't eat anything off the bottom of a pallet.

for serious, the Bruery's Bois should be out soonish, Ommegang XV was around not too long ago, and i think Unibroue's XVII might still be kicking around. no idea where you are, though.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Remember, folks: in the list of top 10 OR breweries in terms of how much they sold in their home state of OR in '12, Rogue is #8. Boneyard and 10 Barrel, both breweries that distribute to maybe 2-3 states, are outselling them now in OR. Their home state's rejected them.

http://beerpulse.com/2013/02/oregon-breweries-approach-2013-milestones-10-barrel-and-boneyard-have-big-2012/

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

gross, i definitely wouldn't eat anything off the bottom of a pallet.

for serious, the Bruery's Bois should be out soonish, Ommegang XV was around not too long ago, and i think Unibroue's XVII might still be kicking around. no idea where you are, though.

Are they going to be putting Bois out in distribution or something? Because they were selling it on Saturday at the tasting room and its been there for a while. Its good, but too rich for me to buy more than one bottle.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

The two brothers anniversary ale was quite delicious and not boozy at all for being 16%. Pretty dang cheap at like 7 a bottle too!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Angry Grimace posted:

Are they going to be putting Bois out in distribution or something? Because they were selling it on Saturday at the tasting room and its been there for a while. Its good, but too rich for me to buy more than one bottle.

oh, i thought Bois was the next anniversary beer, but i guess it's the BA version of Fruet(?)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

oh, i thought Bois was the next anniversary beer, but i guess it's the BA version of Fruet(?)

Fruet was already barrel aged. Bois is this year's anniversary beer. It will be distributed (just like Fruet was) but most of their beers are on sale earlier at the Bruery taproom.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

Fruet is already 100% BA. Bois is the new anniversary beer, but I'm not sure how it's being distroed.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Also, word is out that New Glarus's next thumbprint is "Wild Sour":

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

It IS the anniversary beer. I don't think its going in general Bruery distribution. I think its mail/pickup/tasting room only for now.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Drinking my first Stone Levitation. Interesting beer, they did a good job of making it seem bigger than its 4.4%. Aggressively bitter, but well, :stone:.

Pretty good, but nowhere near as awesome as Lagunitas Daytime IPA.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Back where I come from, "Daytime IPA" (e.g. "Session IPA") is called "American Pale Ale."

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Back where I come from, "Daytime IPA" (e.g. "Session IPA") is called "American Pale Ale."

I don't disagree. Presumably it's 9/10th marketing, 1/10th handwaving about how it's too hoppy for the pale ale style but too low ABV for a traditional IPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
Latest Sam Adams Longshot report: Beer Flower Wheat tasty, Strawberry Lager so-so, Magnificent Seven not so much. I suppose we'll never get another weizenbock or lemon pepper saison.