Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Zack Ryder retired Tommy Dreamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Zack Ryder retired Tommy Dreamer.

Tommy Dreamer wrestled in TNA for a while after that, and also works indie shows to this day

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Tommy Dreamer wrestled in WWE like half a year ago.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Zack Ryder only retired Tommy Dreamers' shirt that day.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Somehow I completely forgot about that 3MB match.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Sheamus murdered Jamie Noble.

"GET 'EM AGAIN, BIG RED!"

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

oatgan posted:

Tommy Dreamer wrestled in TNA for a while after that, and also works indie shows to this day

Oh drat, forgot about that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

dont remember if it was mentioned but tony mamaluke is another who has worked all 5 major US feds

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skinty McEdger posted:

Also HHH has spoken about wanting one more match with Shawn to round off both their careers, so I'm pretty sure it's less if more when.

D-X vs Undertaker at Mania 30, Undertaker still wins.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Let's get back to discussing WCW.

I don't know if this was posted here recently, but here's a nice little collection of Raven's Flock videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RavensFlockClassics

This is the kind of stuff that made me prefer WCW to the WWF, from '97 till '99, which is when they started giving Raven those cringe worthy skits with Kanyon and Raven's upper middle class family. It's not that it wasn't funny, it's that it was handled poorly.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Rad R. posted:

Let's get back to discussing WCW.

I don't know if this was posted here recently, but here's a nice little collection of Raven's Flock videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RavensFlockClassics

This is the kind of stuff that made me prefer WCW to the WWF, from '97 till '99, which is when they started giving Raven those cringe worthy skits with Kanyon and Raven's upper middle class family. It's not that it wasn't funny, it's that it was handled poorly.

I dunno, I kind of like them, but then I love goofy poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O_-fOC2RD4

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 9, 2013

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I actually kind of like them in that 'so bad it's good' kind of way, but I was a massive mark for Raven and still prefer his Flock/cult leader angles.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I loved some of the Raven's flock videos. It's a shame promotions don't try stuff like this anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei_DAZexqDw

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Chromatic posted:

I loved some of the Raven's flock videos. It's a shame promotions don't try stuff like this anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei_DAZexqDw

Ugh, this was one of my favorite WCW moments as a teenager. I was a Raven fanboy since ECW so seeing him on a bigger stage as the same character doing the same kind of thing was incredible for me; then, seeing him pop up on loving MTV and DDT DDP (so many acronyms) through a coffee table blew my mind.

Judeccahedron
Jan 2, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, I'd agree, it's probably the best heel turn in history. The timing, the setup, it was all absolutely perfect.

The one thing I thought was strange about Hogan's promo when he turned was that he was talking about how these guys were from an organization up north, and that he knew more about that organization than anyone else. Hadn't they basically gone out of their way to say that it was emphatically not a legitimate cross-promotional thing/invasion, because of some legal issues?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Am I the only one that always hated Raven? Every angle was the same and they always felt like he was writing his own fanfiction about how awesome Raven is.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Judeccahedron posted:

The one thing I thought was strange about Hogan's promo when he turned was that he was talking about how these guys were from an organization up north, and that he knew more about that organization than anyone else. Hadn't they basically gone out of their way to say that it was emphatically not a legitimate cross-promotional thing/invasion, because of some legal issues?

They had to come out and say flatly that Hall and Nash didn't work for "that company up north" anymore, but it was still like an invasion/take over thing especially once they revealed Hogan as the third guy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

oatgan posted:

Am I the only one that always hated Raven? Every angle was the same and they always felt like he was writing his own fanfiction about how awesome Raven is.

I liked his feud with Tommy Dreamer, but pretty much the rest of his career is him being a massive mark for himself.

bartok
May 10, 2006

oatgan posted:

I remember liking his feud with Chris Benoit and DDP. I loved his short lived WCW face turn with Perry Saturn as his tag partner.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

oatgan posted:

they always felt like he was writing his own fanfiction about how awesome Raven is.

How do you figure? Most of his angles were about the Raven character being a sleazy, whiny jerk who needed flunkies to beat up his opponents, and he spent most of his matches selling and getting beaten up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'll post this in the right thread this time...

All this Raven talk reminds me of the best Raven, when it was revealed he was really just a spoiled rich kid from the suburbs

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

And I'll post this in the right thread too:

That entire angle can be forgiven because Kanyon taking the flip bump into the pool is the funniest thing in wrestling history.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
According to Meltzer, Michael Buffer got around $10,000 for every individual Nitro or PPV he did an intro for. $10,000 each for all those "Bret the Hit Man Clark" intros. His intro for Dennis Rodman is my favorite - "His fierce competitiveness and desire to win has earned him the label of 'bad boy', and he's proud of it. Because he's so good, he's as bad as he wants to be. And that's very, very bad. Ladies and gentleman, the ultimate bad boy, Dennis Rodman!"

God drat, so many people got so filthy rich off the worst run wrestling company in existence. WCW's failure is really astounding on so many levels. Even Meltzer, who has covered almost every detail of wrestling for so long, it still astounded by it when he talks on the radio show. How could one company torpedo 90% of its worth in less than a year?!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I wish I was on WCW's payroll in the mid-90s

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Tato posted:

According to Meltzer, Michael Buffer got around $10,000 for every individual Nitro or PPV he did an intro for. $10,000 each for all those "Bret the Hit Man Clark" intros. His intro for Dennis Rodman is my favorite - "His fierce competitiveness and desire to win has earned him the label of 'bad boy', and he's proud of it. Because he's so good, he's as bad as he wants to be. And that's very, very bad. Ladies and gentleman, the ultimate bad boy, Dennis Rodman!"

Is it bad my first thought was "Only $10,000 an appearance?"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Great White Hope posted:

That was mine as well

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.
I thought it came out that Buffer was getting paid literally by the word, which is why he would be so needlessly verbose in his intros?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

cunny mcalister posted:

I thought it came out that Buffer was getting paid literally by the word, which is why he would be so needlessly verbose in his intros?

It's...plausible. That sounds EXACTLY like something WCW would do.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Quantity over quality

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
How much did WCW shell out for the KISS demon?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I've never seen an exact figure, just a generic statement of "millions."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Great White Hope posted:

The internet legend around his appearance is that he was paid upwards of six figures for his appearances so it's not surprising people would be surprised he made "so little." I liked the idea of using him for PPV main events, but for Nitros (I remember some weeks he would introduce a promo?) it seemed silly.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MD2020 posted:

How much did WCW shell out for the KISS demon?

Considering the return they got on him, the answer is clearly "way too loving much", Although I do enjoy that to get around the provision in the contract they had with Gene Simmons that dictated he main event at least one PPV, they just put him in a throwaway match on some PPV and referred to it as a "special main event".

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 10, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh, my god.

Look at the television examples.

cool-haired luke
May 13, 2012

by T. Finninho

oatgan posted:

i dont hate raven but i do find his smug "look at me im so smart" poo poo really obnoxious

bartok
May 10, 2006

cool-haired luke posted:

i dont hate raven but i do find his smug "look at me im so smart" poo poo really obnoxious

That is why I liked him better in WCW because he actually got his comeuppance unlike in ECW.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
The way he debuted in WCW was awesome. A very weird angle with Stevie Richards. I don't think the WWF had anything like that at the time. Still, even that is an example of how WCW didn't have long term plans. They were pushing Raven for a long time, especially during his US Title feud with DDP, but after getting jobbed to Goldberg and doing a comedy gimmick, he was going nowhere so he just left.

Judeccahedron
Jan 2, 2009

Phenix Rising posted:

They had to come out and say flatly that Hall and Nash didn't work for "that company up north" anymore, but it was still like an invasion/take over thing especially once they revealed Hogan as the third guy.

Ah, okay. One thing about that reveal is that even aside from the part at the end, the commentary has some of Schiavone's best work, like the part where he's saying "I guess this was planned all the way back in '94." You can practically hear the :smith: in his voice.

I do think the earlier idea of having Heenan say something to the effect of "I never thought I'd be saying this, but come on Hogan!" only to say "Of course, the one time I actually decide to trust Hogan, he stabs me in the back." Also, didn't Madden try to do the "Hulk Hogan, you can go to hell" line at the 2000 Bash at the Beach?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I think my favorite part of the Hogan turn was that one dingus who tried to jump into the ring and just got immediately stomped the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

haljordan posted:

I think my favorite part of the Hogan turn was that one dingus who tried to jump into the ring and just got immediately stomped the gently caress out.

I had forgotten about this. Hall loving stomps him in the head repeatedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq2XB9tDdm8