Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
If someone with even rudimentary skills takes a look they can grab your keys in short order. I don't waste time trying to obfuscate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ender.uNF posted:

If someone with even rudimentary skills takes a look they can grab your keys in short order. I don't waste time trying to obfuscate.

I cracked an app just to see if I could (basically just found the C function that returned a bool if the app was registered, then changed the binary with a hex editor to have a NOT in there, reversing the check). It's super easy, don't waste too much time on it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
So how about that iOS 7 announcement?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/ Hello!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Hopefully they don't mess up with the new multitasking. I don't want Facebook killing my battery and using up my data plan just so it can be constantly pulling down updates about which cat pics my mom "liked". Nor do I want to have to manually close apps just to avoid this.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Doh004 posted:

So how about that iOS 7 announcement?

I'm dying for the State of the Union video. The iOS APIs they had in that word cloud thing looked sweet, and I wish I had a screenshot.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Also, LOL at new Mac Pro using AMD GPUs. Hope none of the pro users wanted CUDA.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
To not be a complete Negative Nancy, I really like iOS 7's look.

And Craig Federighi was great onstage.

Aesion
Mar 14, 2010

Mavericks finally gets us OpenGL 4 support so that's neat

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Still can't believe they called it Mavericks. 2008 was recent enough that I still can't hear someone say that word without hearing Sarah Palin.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ultramiraculous posted:

I'm dying for the State of the Union video. The iOS APIs they had in that word cloud thing looked sweet, and I wish I had a screenshot.

This?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
The next one, with the APIs on it.

Edit: Found it, finally. This one->

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ah.

Also I guess we'll be seeing session videos as they're completed. MacRumors quoting Cook in their live coverage: "10:06 am This is the biggest venue we could get, but we are posting sessions online each day."

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
The automatic app updates thing has me so happy. The John McCain users who just don't update their apps for no apparent reason are the worst.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What the hell are "geodesic polylines"?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ultramiraculous posted:

The automatic app updates thing has me so happy. The John McCain users who just don't update their apps for no apparent reason are the worst.

To be fair, some updates aren't the best. YouTube apps that remove caching, or audio apps that remove some codec, or some other app update that includes a changelog like "don't download this update, it breaks lots of poo poo and deletes all your stuff."

I'm guessing "auto update" can be turned off. But a "DO NOT NOTIFY ME OF UPDATES" option for individual apps would be nice.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

haveblue posted:

It's a maps thing, probably. Something with polygons on the surface of the earth, like making an overlay of a city or country.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

I too have always wanted to develop using a trashcan.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

It's a line that follows the curve of the earth properly, like so. In that example, they're concentric circles with a radius large enough that they have to get projected onto a sphere to actually look right.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

some of the API docs are online:

Found via the Whats-New @ https://developer.apple.com/osx/whats-new/
SpriteKit (Mac): https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/documentation/GraphicsAnimation/Conceptual/SpriteKit_PG/Introduction/Introduction.html
SpriteKit (iOS): https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/GraphicsAnimation/Conceptual/SpriteKit_PG/Introduction/Introduction.html

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I am unreasonably excited about iOS 7. It looks like it has enough new shine to keep Apple's marketshare at least the same if not growing. The background processing changes should also make my life much easier in my current project.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Dev center's back up. Xcode 5 preview is out.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 11, 2013

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

I've had a chance to play with a new Mac Pro.

The software running in the background is mine.

It's a nice machine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ManicJason posted:

I am unreasonably excited about iOS 7. It looks like it has enough new shine to keep Apple's marketshare at least the same if not growing. The background processing changes should also make my life much easier in my current project.

I'm just glad all those iOS flashlight apps got Watsoned.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Other than llvm-gcc any sign of anything else depreciated? (Ios 4 please).

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

Other than llvm-gcc any sign of anything else depreciated? (Ios 4 please).

iOS5 is basically depreciated. In the transition docs they only talk about supporting iOS6 and they're really heavy into AutoLayout. I guess if you buy into that slide showing iOS6 being ~95% of the market, then it makes sense.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Anyone who cares about NDA: remember to verify the info you're sharing is on a publicly accessible Apple site or some other site.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
edit: whoops, forgot about NDA

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Dumb question from someone new to Apple development: where is it safe/kosher to discuss things that are under NDA?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Possibly the Apple Developer forums?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm loving the Crashlytics logs that say <redacted>

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Possibly the Apple Developer forums?

Wait, what?

:aaaaa:

How did I not know these things existed?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Axiem posted:

Wait, what?

:aaaaa:

How did I not know these things existed?

They're a bizarre combination of terrible forum and the only place certain questions get answered. Worth checking, not in my experience worth participating.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

I'm loving the Crashlytics logs that say <redacted>

My apps don't crash :smug:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

pokeyman posted:

They're a bizarre combination of terrible forum and the only place certain questions get answered. Worth checking, not in my experience worth participating.

I would say that describes pretty much every forum that isn't this one, honestly.

Not that I really plan on doing things that require anything new in iOS 7--at least, not for a few months. I was contemplating doing a small project with Cocos2D, but it might be the case that Sprite Kit pretty much does that for me already, so I might have to dig into that some. (Not that I actually know; I just saw a description of it on one of the Apple News sites)

Typically, these things come off of NDA when the OS ships, right?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

It's also 100% at its worst around this time. Theres a lot of "Apple Developers" unironically talking about deserving refunds because Apple is falsely advertising perfect access to a beta product.

Axiem posted:

Typically, these things come off of NDA when the OS ships, right?

Usually when the GM comes out, so basically yeah. That's also when you can start submitting apps targeting the new OS.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

My apps don't crash :smug:

code:

0	 libobjc.A.dylib	 objc_msgSend + 5
1	 UIKit 	 <redacted> + 56
2	 UIKit	 <redacted> + 214
3	 libobjc.A.dylib	 <redacted> + 172
4	 UIKit	 <redacted> + 46
5	 libobjc.A.dylib	 <redacted> + 172