Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Avocados posted:

Is putting an ice block in front of a fan an actual, decent way to cool down a room without A/C?

It doesn't really cool the room in total much more than simply having an ice block around at all does, but its a good way to help a person feel colder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I think, however, that the combustion of a gun is the aspect of the weapon that living tissues could not feasibly replicate due to the destruction of cells/denaturing of proteins that happens at high temperatures. So heat will be your limiting factor in the evolution of zebra gatling guns, not conductivity, because as Xenoborg said: we already conduct electric signals through our nerves.

The aforementioned shrimp has the advantage of using its "gun" underwater which is a pretty decent coolant.

The woodpecker manages to hit ~1000g's of force* with its head/beak and evolved a tongue that extends the length of its body to feel around for buggy goodness but also retracts to make a shock absorber around its brain case.

Given enough time you get some really weird poo poo is what I mean. Not sure about Gatling guns though since natural selection has yet to produce the wheel.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/454236 posted:

High-speed cinematograph films of a drilling woodpecker were examined by direct visual inspection and by a microdensitometer and computer-imaging technique. These showed (1) that the drilling trajectory is essentially linear, with very little, if any, rotation of the head; (2) that there is minimal movement after impact; (3) that the impact velocity is of the order of 600 to 700 cm/s; and (4) that the impact deceleration is of the order of 1,000 g. Dynamic and morphologic findings in the woodpecker may be highly relevant to the prevention of concussion and brain injury in man. Taken in the context of modern packaging technology and other animal and mathematical modelling research, they suggest that brain injury preventive systems could be greatly improved over those now in common use.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

syscall girl posted:

Given enough time you get some really weird poo poo is what I mean. Not sure about Gatling guns though since natural selection has yet to produce the wheel.

Flagella are pretty weird when you think about it. They're basically whip-like propellers hooked up to a biological motor and rotate independently of the body... all in a single cell.

Edit: Related: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile_use_by_living_systems

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 10, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I think, however, that the combustion of a gun is the aspect of the weapon that living tissues could not feasibly replicate due to the destruction of cells/denaturing of proteins that happens at high temperatures. So heat will be your limiting factor in the evolution of zebra gatling guns, not conductivity, because as Xenoborg said: we already conduct electric signals through our nerves.

There are animals that produce materials that can withstand extremely high impact forces and the Mythbusters built a cannon out of a tree trunk once and were able to fire a shot out of it. There's probably a high speed but low temperature reaction like the sort used in airbags that could feasibly occur within a suitably equipped cavity in a living organism without destroying it, so an organic gun, while it wouldn't be at all comparable to mechanical guns, is not completely impossible.

The real reason a zebra can't evolve a Gatling gun is that life as we know it cannot produce joints with total freedom of rotation.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

syscall girl posted:

The aforementioned shrimp has the advantage of using its "gun" underwater which is a pretty decent coolant.

The woodpecker manages to hit ~1000g's of force* with its head/beak and evolved a tongue that extends the length of its body to feel around for buggy goodness but also retracts to make a shock absorber around its brain case.

The article originally quoted actually mentions that the pearl moth caterpillar and a Calfornian salamander both roll themselves up to move quickly downhill when pursued by predators (the caterpillar can do it on a flat surface), which are very wheel-like traits. Evolution is crazy.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Goddamn posted:

I've got this weird memory of an old commercial(?) on... Maybe PBS or something? Where they were pitting a book dictionary versus a computer dictionary. Something about where you would find a word faster. Except the computer sequence was this ridiculous, dragged out thing of slowly booting it up, putting a CD in, typing really slowly and waiting for the program to load, while some other kid just found the word in the book so the book was declared the "winner". It was pretty ridiculous but I can't seem to find it, does anybody know what I'm talking about? (Or if there's some thread for these)

The other option is that I'm misremembering and this is something from Russian TV.

You're not crazy, I remember this. It had a voice over saying, "Let's see which way is faster!" or something while one kid grabs a dictionary and another goes to the computer. I agree it was ridiculous because the computer was off so that kid had to turn it on first, put in the CD, load the program, type in their search, and wait for a result.

I can't remember for sure, but PBS is probably right, I used to watch it a lot.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Brother Jonathan posted:

So "acting up" is the general term, and "acting out" is a specific kind of "acting up" by someone? That makes sense.
"Acting up" is rather physical, usually as a resistance to a command to be still or quiet down, or as a disruption. It also refers to ailments that can flare up, as mentioned above.

"Acting out" is carrying out a thought, be it disruptive (expressing feelings of anger in the form of arson or shooting sprees) or not (working through some mental/emotional issues or blocks).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the kids brought home fleas, and now every room is covered in the little bastards. How do I get rid of them today, like right now. They're all over and I'm miserable, We don't have carpets so I'm not really sure where their eggs would even be.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Turtlicious posted:

One of the kids brought home fleas, and now every room is covered in the little bastards. How do I get rid of them today, like right now. They're all over and I'm miserable, We don't have carpets so I'm not really sure where their eggs would even be.

If your whole house is infested? Call an exterminator. I can't think of any home remedy that will be anywhere near as effective.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

About passwords! If a site allows, say, 20 character mixed case alphanumeric passwords, but I only do, say, five lowercase letters that don't form a word, could someone who has access to encoded passwords or whatever determine that I have a crappy password just by looking at the hash? Can they derive any information at all without brute forcing the thing?

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

What is this thing? They are on the ceiling in the hallway of the building I work in. A coworker thinks that it is some sort of camera but I think it is a motion detector for the hallway lights. It has red LED lights on it that seem to light up when you walk near it, which is why I think that it's a motion detector.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a commercial smoke detector to me.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

who cares posted:

What is this thing? They are on the ceiling in the hallway of the building I work in. A coworker thinks that it is some sort of camera but I think it is a motion detector for the hallway lights. It has red LED lights on it that seem to light up when you walk near it, which is why I think that it's a motion detector.

It's a smoke detector, the LEDs indicate the status. Generally, Slow blinking red means the system is normal, solid red means there's an alarm or a problem

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If it were a camera it would have a small black dome sticking out the bottom.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
How much of the oxygen you breath in gets released back as CO2?

i.e. if you inhaled 10ccs of oxygen, how many ccs would come out as part of the CO2?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Experto Crede posted:

How much of the oxygen you breath in gets released back as CO2?

i.e. if you inhaled 10ccs of oxygen, how many ccs would come out as part of the CO2?

I think this will answer your question.

I'm too lazy to do the maths, you can do that yourself. It's amazing how much wikipedia answers, and kind of weird to realise that our parents didn't have such a resource available to them.

-"I just thought of something specific I'd really like to know more about, but I don't want to go to the library, study the subject intensively, follow a course on it, whatever, to find out about it."
-"Sucks, doesn't it?"

e:
Just to make clear how easy that was to find out: I just set my search field in Firefox on Wikipedia(en), which it's usually in anyway, typed 'breathing', clicked the link 'breathing in gas', and there's the answer our parents would've spent hours, if not days, to find out.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 10, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Why is waste energy expelled as heat instead of another kind of radiation?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
In what, exactly?

Sometimes it is -- as either electromagnetic radiation (light, for example) and sometimes as particle radiation ("radiation" radiation).

Congratulations, "radiation" now looks like a nonsense word. Thanks, semantic satiation.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
If I transfer a photo from my iPhone to my computer, and it is sideways because of the way I held my phone when shooting, I rotate it in MSPaint and then save. Then when I go to upload it somewhere, it uploads sideways again. What gives?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

drat Bananas posted:

If I transfer a photo from my iPhone to my computer, and it is sideways because of the way I held my phone when shooting, I rotate it in MSPaint and then save. Then when I go to upload it somewhere, it uploads sideways again. What gives?
The image file has orientation metadata that MSPaint doesn't read. You rotate the picture in MSPaint, then the metadata rotates it again. Try uploading it without rotating it yourself first.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

God damnit, the timer on my stupid loving Whirlpool washer just gave out. Again. Washer's only responding erratically if at all, and the thing's fulla soapy water, and all my god drat clothes. Argh.

I don't suppose anyone knows anything I can futz with on these things in general to make it work long enough to get my stuff washed?

(edit) Nevermind. Looks like the little catch that detects the open lid is breaking. I can jimmy that.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 11, 2013

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Did a Wikiwar with a coworker, and we did some dabbling over Henry VIII. Everyone knows the legacy of dead wives he left. My question is, since he needed a male heir so bad, why didn't Henry keep a group of women (say, 2 or 4 or so) in a tower or some far-off secluded place, and knock them up, and just wait to see who had a son? Take the newborn back to his pregnant wife and switch the babies out when his latest wife had another girl?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

drat Bananas posted:

I'm pretty sure if you rotate it using Microsoft's image viewer then save a copy, the copy should be in the correct orientation.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

muike posted:

Why is waste energy expelled as heat instead of another kind of radiation?

All temperature is is how fast particles are moving, so kinetic energy is heat, and every type of electromagnetic radiation can heat something up. Microwaves produce microwave scale radiation to transfer heat. Heat lamps and light bulbs produce mostly visible and infrared radiation that transfer heat. Tanning beds make UV radiation. Even the extreme ends like radio waves and X-rays transfer heat, but just not in conditions that would be safe for you to notice it.

All objects that are hotter than their surroundings will emit heat in the form of radiation. The type of radiation is dependent on the temperature of the object. In the 0-300 degree C range the radiation will be infrared, which we can't see (but things like infrared goggles can). In the 300+ degree C range things will start to emit some of their energy as visible light and glow red like molten metal. Hot enough in the 5000+ degree range and something is glowing yellow like our sun. Any much hotter and the color gets washed out since we can't see UV light, so things just glow white.

PS: Its annoying that both electromagnetic waves and nuclear decay products are both called radiation, when they are two different things. There is some common history with gamma radiation, but it's confusing to a lot of people who just think radiation = bad.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looks like a commercial smoke detector to me.

Commercial "All in one" kind of thing most likely. Motion (for the alarm/heating/cooling), fire, etc.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Did SA just die for 30 minutes or so for everyone else?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Just now? Nope.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

I'm trying to remember a particular computer program. It let you connect multiple computers over the internet and joined their desktops together so you could control all of them through a single mouse and keyboard. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Synergy

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Synergy? http://synergy-foss.org/

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Glorgnole posted:

I'm trying to remember a particular computer program. It let you connect multiple computers over the internet and joined their desktops together so you could control all of them through a single mouse and keyboard. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Synergy?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

That's the one. Thanks!

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

drat Bananas posted:

You should click on an image and choose the preview option in the right-click menu, then go through all the images and rotate the ones you want. The changes will be saved when you move on to other pictures.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I couldn't find a general questions thread in ADTRW, so I'm going to ask my stupid / small anime question here.

Why are catgirls more popular than doggirls? Is it a cultural thing or what?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

a 16 year old girl posted:

I couldn't find a general questions thread in ADTRW, so I'm going to ask my stupid / small anime question here.

Not an anime expert here, but generally dogs are considered 'male'.

speaksoftly
Feb 18, 2011
Is there a economic term for not having very many fast food restaurants in an area?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When you sign up to a website and it makes you put in a "security question", why are the defaults all stuff that is really easy to find out? Isn't that counter-productive?

Stormtroopman
Jan 28, 2009
I'm looking for the font used in the '50s and '60s for civil defense manuals and leaflets and informational diagrams of all kinds. Below is an example.

Anyone know what it's called?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

a 16 year old girl posted:

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Tiggum posted:

When you sign up to a website and it makes you put in a "security question", why are the defaults all stuff that is really easy to find out? Isn't that counter-productive?

My guess is too many people were loving up their security questions.