Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Are there any guides on how to prepare my music library for XBMC? I use sickbeard to manage all the metadate for TV and Ember Media Manager for movies, but I'm not sure what to do with my music. As a trial I put an album I bought from AmazonMP3 into my music folder and added it to library, and all I got was a picture of the album cover that was embedded into the files.

Meanwhile on the XBMC website I see this:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=File:Library.music.fanart.WSCR.jpg
I want that, how do I get that metadata?

Also I have two computers sharing a MySQL database. I added my music directory as a source on one computer and added scanned it to the library. Then on the other computer, without adding the source, I was able to play the music from the library. Do I only need to have one computer with a source directory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Go into the library, find the artist, hit I, and it'll pull up the info screen. If there isn't any info for that artist, it will use the default scraper to find it. You can download other scrapers for different metadata, and there's an option to download info for the entire library in there somewhere.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Do I only need to have one computer with a source directory?

Yes this is the case for videos as well.

As far as music in xbmc, there is headphones but when I used it it was very underwhelming. I used Picard on all my files, and the universal album/artists scraper in xbmc.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I've got a bunch of media files on my PC and I'd like to test how well XBMC scrapes the data before pushing the files to my NAS. Is there a PC scraper or manager that would do this sort of check?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The only Music scrapers I have are the defaults, the Universal Album Scraper and Universal Aritst Scraper. But when I try to set a source to a scraper I can only choose between source types Movies, TV Shows, and Music Videos. If I try and update information for an Artist or Album it just sends me into an endless loop of inputing the name and then it asking me again for the name.

Setting up Video was so easy and makes sense, why is Music so radically different?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Setting up Video was so easy and makes sense, why is Music so radically different?

Different creators of plugins. This is my problem with XBMC and group-sourced stuff in general - usability issues are often glossed over.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
(On most of my TV show not showing up in XBMC)

berzerker posted:

Right click on the show, go to show information, then refresh. Likely it's reading an nfo file somewhere with incomplete listings. Once you've told it to refresh all episodes it ought to fix itself. If this is the cause, avoid using nfo files for tv with xbmc. Better to rely on the scrapers.

Unfortunately, no change. There's no .nfo file either - unless it doesn't have to be in the directory with the shows. Will XBMC find that?

Drevorak's suggestion about looking at program info in the files interface shows something interesting: the three episodes of Romanzo Criminale that are showing up have are correctly identified there. The others aren't, reason unclear. Could this be a problem with the TV scraper bombing out at the wrong time? The home internet is a bit flaky and we've had a lot of "could not contact server, continue scanning?" to the point where I silenced the error.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

outlier posted:

Unfortunately, no change. There's no .nfo file either - unless it doesn't have to be in the directory with the shows. Will XBMC find that?

Drevorak's suggestion about looking at program info in the files interface shows something interesting: the three episodes of Romanzo Criminale that are showing up have are correctly identified there. The others aren't, reason unclear. Could this be a problem with the TV scraper bombing out at the wrong time? The home internet is a bit flaky and we've had a lot of "could not contact server, continue scanning?" to the point where I silenced the error.

I had a similar issue with TV shows with multiple season showing up when I first started using XBMC. I was able to fix it by creating sub-folders for the seasons... so for instance the folder structure is TV/Parks and Recreation/Season 1/* This allowed the scrapper to separate more easily. However, all the episodes for all seasons were properly named as well so the scrapper should have been able to automatically pull them apart based on that, it just didn't. I believe there is also an option I had to remove which told XBMC that the folder (in this case Parks and Recreation from above) contained a single season. Which I guess allowed it to scan sub-folders for more content or something, no idea. I usually browse my media from the Video>Files menu and then choose which shared folder I want i.e. Movies or TV Shows as opposed to picking Movies or TV from the menu itself. Seems that every time it checks for updated meta data and changes something for the files it creates false duplicates in there. I ended up with like 5 listings for Iron Man for instance and each contained the same info with a different poster art. However only the newest one would play the actual movie.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

@FISHMANPET, use Picard to organize your files. XBMC's default music scrapers pull info from the MusicBrainz website. Picard was made by MusicBrainz developers, as such Picard tags files with a MusicBrainz id that the scrapers can reference to pull in the correct data. If Picard can see it, so will XBMC.

I highly suggest using these settings as laid out here. Especially if you use the cdART Manager plugin in XBMC. I also highly suggest using the LastFM Plus plugin for Picard if you want decent reliable genre tagging.

edit: Little know info about genre tagging with XBMC, for multiple genres to actually work right you need to use a " / " seperator. Thats SPACE SLASH SPACE. Otherwise XBMC reads the genre as "rock/alternative/punk" as one entry.

redhalo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 11, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I tried that, and still none of it works. It's like it can't even find a scraper to use to find metadata (like artist bios and pictures, like in the example from the wiki I posted above). What music scrapers should I be using, and how do I activate them? I don't see any way to activate a scraper for a source like I would with TV or movies.

Are there any good tutorials on working with the Music Library? I feel like I'm missing some easy fundamental thing but I'm looking all through the menus and addons and nothing jumps out at me as "click this to make it work."

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Make sure the source is set to music first off (it sounds like it is but you never know). Then go to settings > music, and make sure you have something listed for default service or album/artist information. Mine are set to Universal Album Scraper and Universal Artist Scraper. If you want to do everything in one go check box "download additional information during updates."

At this point hitting Info on any artist or album should cause XBMC to go out and get bio, fanart, etc.

All of this will depend on your files having the correct ID3 tags for artist/album of course.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

EC posted:

Make sure the source is set to music first off (it sounds like it is but you never know). Then go to settings > music, and make sure you have something listed for default service or album/artist information. Mine are set to Universal Album Scraper and Universal Artist Scraper. If you want to do everything in one go check box "download additional information during updates."

This right here, this was the magic sauce. This was set to some string that wasn't the name of a scraper (must have been a left over from a previous install) and now activating the Universal Scrapers everything falls into place. Thank you!

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

outlier posted:

I haven't looked at your other post but have you turned on debugging and checked the xbmc.log ?

If you haven't, turn on debugging and then do another scan and look at the log file and/or upload to pastebin to post here.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Advanced

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

So, I'm running OpenELEC 3.0.4, and when I install the suggested Maraschino plug-in, and start it up, it whines that it is out of date.

I then update Maraschino and it no longer works. Has anyone else encountered this?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

DarkSol posted:

So, I'm running OpenELEC 3.0.4, and when I install the suggested Maraschino plug-in, and start it up, it whines that it is out of date.

I then update Maraschino and it no longer works. Has anyone else encountered this?

I haven't encountered it but when you install software through a package manager it's usually not a good idea to try and update it through its own updater, you may be better off disabling the notifier in the settings. The thing probably didn't have write permission to complete the upgrade and got borked because of it.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Keito posted:

I haven't encountered it but when you install software through a package manager it's usually not a good idea to try and update it through its own updater, you may be better off disabling the notifier in the settings. The thing probably didn't have write permission to complete the upgrade and got borked because of it.

What's the best way to update it then? (I'd honestly rather not just ignore the problem.)

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

DarkSol posted:

What's the best way to update it then? (I'd honestly rather not just ignore the problem.)

Not being updated to the latest git revision is not a problem, though. Since you installed maraschino through a package repository, the best way to update would be waiting for the maintainers to push an updated package.

You could file a ticket in OpenELEC's issue tracker requesting that they update it, or fetch the latest version and try to get the thing running yourself.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I had an interesting time trying to get mame running under RCB and advanced launcher in xbmcbuntu. There seems to be a number of issues but I don't know enough about either to know how they work and what they send to mame. I'm not sure if they override mame.ini. I decided to give up on this after poking around in command line for an evening.

The good news is I've decided to give up on emulation on my htpc set up and I've gone back to using openelec just for boot speed. I've imported my media so now I want to know if I just play around with the add ons in the op or are there any other add ons I should be trying?

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Whats the best Ethernet based Unit for XBMC <$100 at the moment, Ouya?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GateheaD posted:

Whats the best Ethernet based Unit for XBMC <$100 at the moment, Ouya?

We're not even sure if ouyas even get delivered. In that price range you could get an RK3066 based droidstick which has dual core CPU and quad GPU. You could also get a decent gyro remote with a keyboard. Thing is that it'd be wireless. There are other units out there with Ethernet but the specs are pretty bad from what I've looked at in the past few days.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Isn't the RPi down to $80 or something?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Still doubting whether the Ouya is being released at this point is ridiculous. It's coming out. XBMC isn't out for the Ouya yet (at least not officially) so you'll have to wait longer to see if it's a good XBMC box.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

Still doubting whether the Ouya is being released at this point is ridiculous. It's coming out. XBMC isn't out for the Ouya yet (at least not officially) so you'll have to wait longer to see if it's a good XBMC box.

You should tell that to the ouya thread in games. I'm not going to recommend a junk console with a comedy controller with deadzones everywhere to anyone.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

tarepanda posted:

Isn't the RPi down to $80 or something?

$35, without a power supply. And it's honestly not a bad little device, for XBMC. Performance is much bigger if you move the XBMC instance over to a USB flash drive, and overclocking a little helps as well. I would strongly recommend buying the Model B, as well, for the extra RAM, extra USB port, and a wired ethernet connection.

Get it here for fast shipping too.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Also, even the "best" <$100 unit will have a number of limitations, so scale back your expectations accordingly.

Hyrax
Jul 23, 2004

I'm the Goon in the OP. Dispatch your messenger forthwith.
The G-Box Midnight MX2 has been getting good reviews as a XBMC platform, even with heavier skins. For $99 it's cheaper than anything else I'm using for XBMC in the house and seems to perform better than the Xios DS I've almost bought a couple of times.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Hyrax posted:

the Xios DS I've almost bought a couple of times.

I've mentioned before that I have one of these, and I can't recommend anyone buy it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
In the part of the OP that I wrote, I mentioned that I believe that the future of cheap XBMC set top boxes is going to be Android boxes and HDMI sticks. But as it stands right now, XBMC on android is not as polished as I would like. Really, if you want to go cheap right now, RPi is probably as good as most Android devices and can be cheaper if you already have something for a power supply, storage, remote control/input/ and so on.

I do still have high hopes that there will be an Android device recommended by the XBMC team by the time the next version comes out.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Hyrax posted:

The G-Box Midnight MX2 has been getting good reviews as a XBMC platform, even with heavier skins. For $99 it's cheaper than anything else I'm using for XBMC in the house and seems to perform better than the Xios DS I've almost bought a couple of times.

Just chiming in to say that I owned a Xios DS and it was very rough around the edges, not ready for consumers that's for sure.

And that's supposed to be one of the best "android" xbmc devices, I just don't think the software is there yet.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
I'm using x86 on old hardware at the moment.
I might wait until something like a Intel NUC comes out that also does decent 3D rendering and make a Steam box. Or if they release an official Steam Box...

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GateheaD posted:

I'm using x86 on old hardware at the moment.
I might wait until something like a Intel NUC comes out that also does decent 3D rendering and make a Steam box. Or if they release an official Steam Box...

You seem to be in a similar situation with similar thinking. I've looked at the two versions of the intel nuc and potential for mounting on the back of a tv with a vesa plate. Interesting idea but they're expensive as a complete package when you add ram and an mSATA SSD.

I have an old pc for general xbmc use and some specific add ons I run on an android stick. The android stick I got as an experiment and I found I like running xbmcandroid.com more than the android interface. The only thing I regret is that I didn't get the RK3066 that I mentioned earlier. Better cpu/gpu and more heat sinks. The android sticks can get a bit sluggish under heavy load and they heat up. There are a lot of mods for adding heat sinks to them. However, from my experience so far I'm not overly impressed with xbmc on android sticks so far as everything seems a bit too sluggish.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

snuff posted:

Just chiming in to say that I owned a Xios DS and it was very rough around the edges, not ready for consumers that's for sure.
The thing that finally convinced me to get rid of my Xios and replace it with a Rpi is the lack of HDMI 24p support. Basically any movie you watch has subtle juddering on any kind of movement. They're saying on the Pivos forums they never advertised 24p support so I shouldn't complain but I kind of expected it from, you know, a MEDIA PLAYER.

The Rpi works quite well, if a bit slow to navigate.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Speaking of cheap XBMC boxes, there is a new R Pi kit for XBMC that some places are selling soon that has everything you need for XBMC included for $50. I am unclear if that price includes the R Pi or not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it doesn't come with the pi, which I don't think it does, then that's an absolute rip off.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Reading the article I thought it was pretty clear the kit doesn't come with an RPi, it's just an assorted collection of cheap cables, a preloaded SD card and some shoddy remote for those too lazy to put together their own gear.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hyrax posted:

This is pretty nice looking... I may have to check one out.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I have a Foxconn A3500 running openelec and I love it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119072

i want to get another one for my living room, but I have two issues I want to address:
1. i want support for HD audio. the A3500 converts all high res audio to standard. (DTS-HD is output as DTS, etc)
2. There are no controls for Contrast and brightness in the video menu. I assume because the A3500 wont support it.

any suggestions on a similar HTPC that will address this?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Which version of xbmc is it running? The DTS-HD -> DTS conversion might be happening because you're on an older version, only the latest stable supports them. Presumably it has HDMI out? It should be able to pass anything over that, if it's just optical then that's a hardware limitation mind.

E: ah saw the link, DVI graphics.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Or get this one instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119050

It's either the same price or $25 cheaper (Newegg is giving me different pricing on the search page and the product page). It's the exact same model as far as I can tell, except it has HDMI out. And it's black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I have the same model he has and it does have HDMI.

But I can't answer his question because I don't have anything capable of high res audio decoding.