Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

It's really not that bad, apart from some weirdness the plot gets pretty interesting (at least no more bizarre than any other Deus Ex mod) The main character's tone is kinda strange, but I have seen far, far, far, worse amateur voice acting.

Really, this Deus Ex mod was just released a day or so ago. The gameplay's pretty bizarre and the plot is like William Gibson and Neal Stephenson jerked off in a bucket and threw Deus Ex in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I thought Deus Ex was the cumbucket of those two... :ohdear:

Japan pulls through again with a wow.wad joke. (Potential NSFW advert warning.)

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Dominic White posted:

They'd have to seriously go out of their way to top the magnificent acting in the original game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

Anywhere close?

At least the actors sound like they know what they're saying.

There was one pretty big howler earlier on with the boss saying something like (I didn't memorize it unfortunately):
"I didn't know you were a poet, agent! But let us leave such pretty prose for later!"

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
Just made the mistake of trying to play NUTS.wad with Æons Of Death. I was, however, able to play NUTS2 fairly well until the boss room which immediately crashed!

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Regale me with tales of your computer's processor/GPU crying out in incredible agony at the thousands of Cyberdemon variants with fifty different sprite effects. (Seriously, how did it run Nuts2 until that? :v:)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I've never tried any slaughterhouse WADs, are there any recommendations from people who are fans of them? Or who aren't, I guess.

e: Not stuff like NUTS.WAD, but the ones that are supposed to be beatable.

Geight fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 10, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

Thank God they finally added a cvar to cap FPS :)

Note that it's only implemented in the software renderer. GZDoom ignores it, unfortunately. (And vsync seems broken in GZDoom, too.)

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?

JackMackerel posted:

Regale me with tales of your computer's processor/GPU crying out in incredible agony at the thousands of Cyberdemon variants with fifty different sprite effects. (Seriously, how did it run Nuts2 until that? :v:)

I5-750, HD7870. It was a slideshow for a minute or so while the monsters were infighting, but it was playable after like half of the monsters had died. Once the boss door opened though :pcgaming:

NUTS1 actually didn't crash like I thought it would once the action started, it just slowed to a 1 frame per 10 seconds crawl until I quit like 3 minutes later.

It probably didn't help that I ran it in GZdoom....

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

One of the best things I have ever done is run NUTS.WAD in Brutal Doom and enter kill monsters in the console.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Geight posted:

I've never tried any slaughterhouse WADs, are there any recommendations from people who are fans of them? Or who aren't, I guess.

I like Sunder, and also Drown in Blood. Deus Vult 1+2 have their slaughter map moments too. They are very fun.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I've been trying to branch out into mapping as of late--expanding my horizons, getting into something I'm not familiar with, learning new things, etc, etc. One of the biggest problems I've been trying to overcome, however, is detailing. I'm at that point where I look at a map and I know it looks like total rear end, but I'm afraid to add anything more to it for fear that I may ruin it with my scrubby, untrained hands.

Would anyone know of any really sci-fi/cyberpunk-style maps that I can wander around a lot in for inspiration? Stuff in the vein of Nimrod, Cybercrime, Vrack, or that one level in Deus Vult II. Or, uh, whatever maps you think look really stylish, please. I'd appreciate it. :shobon:

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 10, 2013

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Geight posted:

Try out Plutonia Map32, AV map 27, Deus Vult 2 Map23, Speed of Doom map28, most of Hell Revealed 2 and the hell levels in Scythe 1/2.

There are a bunch of wads slaughtermap focused wads out there, some of the better ones are Slaughterfest 2012, Sunder, Newgothic - Movement 1 or Combat Shock 1 and 2

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Sunder is pretty much the king of slaughter WADs, I can't recommend it enough (but holy gently caress, it's pretty difficult). Map03 (The Dreaming Garden) and map08 (Pale Monument) are great standouts, both for their slaughter qualities and for the level design and detail.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Geight posted:

Vanguard is slaughter-lite. It eases you in with some lighter, more traditional stuff and then gets crazy (but beatable) by MAP12.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Aside from Winter's Fury and Unloved, are there any .wads. with fantastic architecture, design, and lots of demons to kill? I'm already getting into Scythe and Deus Vult, but Winter's Fury spoiled me a bit on how pretty maps should be.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JackMackerel posted:

Aside from Winter's Fury and Unloved, are there any .wads. with fantastic architecture, design, and lots of demons to kill? I'm already getting into Scythe and Deus Vult, but Winter's Fury spoiled me a bit on how pretty maps should be.

I've recommended The Ultimate Torment and Torture as a pretty good example of large, meticulously built maps. The author, Tormentor667, has got a pretty good eye for employing GZDoom features without getting unnecessarily gaudy--lighting effects, "room over room" tricks, liquids, and a light plot to boot. In that same vein, maybe you could try ZPack - Random Maps for ZDoom? Same idea as TUTNT: Lots of new stuff and modern GZDoom tricks spread out over 3 episodes totaling (I think) 30-32 levels, all from a bunch of different authors to keep things fresh. You could also check out the Cheogsh trilogy, which are massive, semi-story-driven WADs.

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Commander Keenan posted:

If you want to keep track of events on my Doom/Sven Co-op/Quake 3 server, join this Steam group. Planning to schedule some games soon.

I hope this won't result in a ban, but I have to ask: I was a huge fan of the Crusader games when I was younger (and I'm guessing that's what your avatar features, right?), and I was wondering if there's ever been an updated release for it on modern systems. Or maybe even a fan-made sequel (I know there were two official games).

I used to love that game so much...

And again, my apologies for the off-topic post.

edit:

edit2: Thanks for answering my question. :)

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 11, 2013

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's on gog.com. Their version runs on modern computers.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Supreme Power posted:

I hope this won't result in a ban, but I have to ask: I was a huge fan of the Crusader games when I was younger (and I'm guessing that's what your avatar features, right?), and I was wondering if there's ever been an updated release for it on modern systems. Or maybe even a fan-made sequel (I know there were two official games).

GOG has them. Also pick up Blood while you're there.

Speaking of Blood, I got Bloody Pulp Fiction running, and it's pretty drat good! I'm a couple maps into Episode 2, and barring a few levels where it's easy to get lost (and generally even then), it's really cool. It has a level based on Manos, so that's always a plus.

Edit: gently caress! Beaten by my desire to talk about Blood. :(

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Supreme Power posted:

edit:

Yup! I'm a big Crusader fan. (Probably the biggest). Here's my website for it: https://www.echosector.com

Not to pimp the guys I work for, but GOG.com sells both No Remorse and No Regret for cheap.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

JackMackerel posted:

Japan pulls through again with a wow.wad joke. (Potential NSFW advert warning.)

holy poo poo this is great

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Colon Semicolon posted:

holy poo poo this is great

Yes, yes it is.

The funkiest archvile.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dominic White posted:

Yes, yes it is.

The funkiest archvile.

Holy poo poo this looks like the final chorus of an animated Disney musical.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

catlord posted:

GOG has them. Also pick up Blood while you're there.

Speaking of Blood, I got Bloody Pulp Fiction running, and it's pretty drat good! I'm a couple maps into Episode 2, and barring a few levels where it's easy to get lost (and generally even then), it's really cool. It has a level based on Manos, so that's always a plus.

Edit: gently caress! Beaten by my desire to talk about Blood. :(

Just gonna link this here, since Tecman's launcher is using version 1.2 of BPF and seems to contain some serious texture issues (at least from when I was using it)

I don't exactly remember what is different about it, but I know it fixed most of my texture issues when I installed it

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Korendian Leader posted:

Try out Plutonia Map32, AV map 27, Deus Vult 2 Map23, Speed of Doom map28, most of Hell Revealed 2 and the hell levels in Scythe 1/2.

There are a bunch of wads slaughtermap focused wads out there, some of the better ones are Slaughterfest 2012, Sunder, Newgothic - Movement 1 or Combat Shock 1 and 2

I'm a fan of slaughtermaps and you can't really go wrong with the ones posted above. Vanguard and Combat Shock are on the easier* (take this with a pinch of salt) side of slaughtermaps, and both won cacowards from writers who generally tend to dislike the 'genre'. Sunder is themed around gorgeous visuals, vast monster counts and absolutely unspeakably hard gameplay, though if you treat wads like Sunder as puzzles you have to retry until you figure out the 'solution' to the fights then it definitely helps.

The recently released 'Stardate 20x6' is worth a look too, based on a (somewhat) original abstract purple theme. http://i.imgur.com/yLML4Ln.jpg
Its as much slaughter as it is 'rock hard' though, so be warned - especially on UV. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=17221

maev fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 11, 2013

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy poo poo this looks like the final chorus of an animated Disney musical.

Monsters Inc III: Hell on Earth, staring Archie, the Archvile with a heart of gold!

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

maev posted:

I'm a fan of slaughtermaps and you can't really go wrong with the ones posted above. Vanguard and Combat Shock are on the easier* (take this with a pinch of salt) side of slaughtermaps, and both won cacowards from writers who generally tend to dislike the 'genre'. Sunder is themed around gorgeous visuals, vast monster counts and absolutely unspeakably hard gameplay, though if you treat wads like Sunder as puzzles you have to retry until you figure out the 'solution' to the fights then it definitely helps.

The recently released 'Stardate 20x6' is worth a look too, based on a (somewhat) original abstract purple theme. http://i.imgur.com/yLML4Ln.jpg
Its as much slaughter as it is 'rock hard' though, so be warned - especially on UV. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=17221

I'm surprised the doom modding community is so active still. :) For a 20 year old game, it's still going amazingly strong. I'll bet id wishes they could make another game like this.

I still remember getting a shareware copy of Doom 1. All those levels, and for free!

I know there seems to be a bit of love for the other early FPS games, but Doom 1 will always be my true love. (I thought Doom 2 kinda sucked.)

edit: I just looked at the id website out of curiosity, and they seem to be selling Ultimate Doom for $20. The interesting thing is that I think it's still actually worth that.

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 11, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Supreme Power posted:

edit: I just looked at the id website out of curiosity, and they seem to be selling Ultimate Doom for $20. The interesting thing is that I think it's still actually worth that.

You can get it on Steam for $5. But, in typical Valve fashion, if you're in Europe, it's €10. It seems like the best place to buy stuff on Steam is in Russia.

(And it's a better deal for your money to get the pack with UD, D2, FD, and ML.)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Thanks! Much appreciated.

And holy poo poo Brutal Doom deathmatch is fun. Doom deathmatch is already chaotic enough, but Brutal Doom makes it a nonstop slaughter fest. Every weapon kills pretty much instantly and vaporizing someone with the super shotgun is so, so satisfying. I have mixed feelings about playing single player wads with Brutal Doom but I highly recommend checking out deathmatch with it.

I joined the Steam group above recently, anyone have any interesting in doing Doom deathmatch or coop games? With out without Brutal Doom.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CowboyAndy posted:

Monsters Inc III: Hell on Earth, staring Archie, the Archvile with a heart of gold!

I'd watch the gently caress out of this :)

Supreme Power posted:

I'm surprised the doom modding community is so active still. :) For a 20 year old game, it's still going amazingly strong. I'll bet id wishes they could make another game like this.

I still remember getting a shareware copy of Doom 1. All those levels, and for free!

I bet anyone wishes they could make a game right now that has this kind of staying power. I remember getting the shareware episode so long ago too :allears: I had to play that over and over because games were not in the budget :( Now I can buy all the games I want! (and not have the time to play them :( )

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Wamdoodle posted:

I remember getting the shareware episode so long ago too :allears: I had to play that over and over because games were not in the budget :( Now I can buy all the games I want! (and not have the time to play them :( )

I had the same issue until I could scrounge up enough money to buy the full version. There's probably a reason I still love episode 1 of Doom 1 so much.

I even remember what a lot of the early Doom mods were like. Most of them sucked, but I do remember a few good ones: an Aliens TC, the Doom64 TC (a remake of the N64 version, I think), and some Simpsons TC (this one wasn't very good, but it was amusing). And some gore wad that just involved monster sprite replacement, but at the time, it might as well have been Brutal Doom. And honestly, I think Brutal Doom is my new favorite mod. It turns it into Doom, but with more gore! What's not to like? :allears: (It's not like there's a plot in this game that it can ruin...)

Are there any high definition/resolution packs for Doom (gzdoom), or do I just have to suck it up and stick with the 20 year old graphics?

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 12, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Supreme Power posted:

Are there any high definition/resolution packs for Doom (gzdoom), or do I just have to suck it up and stick with the 20 year old graphics?

Personally, I've never seen any high-res texture pack for Doom that didn't make me wish to go back to the 20YO graphics.

Among the many, many problems of high-res textures in old 3D games, there are:
  • They are usually unfaithful, giving a different hue to the texture
  • They exacerbate texturing problems in the level, by making abrupt cut-offs and misalignments all the more blatant and vivid
  • On the other hand, they do break carefully-aligned texture constructs made for the originals
  • They make the simplicity of the level geometry all the more apparent
  • Finally, when a custom map features its own custom textures, as is often the case since 1994, the clash between the high-res textures from the pack and the low-res textures from the mod is especially awful

One thing you can do in GZDoom is turn on the high quality texture filters; however there's a mystery bug somewhere that makes some transparent textures lose their transparency. (Common victims are textures representing a metal mesh or grid with one-pixel-thick diagonal lines.)

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 12, 2013

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Maybe it's nostalgia talking, but I find Doom's 20 year old graphics still nice to look at. High Resolution Texture packs are for losers who can't appreciate good pixel art. :smug:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Starhawk64 posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia talking, but I find Doom's 20 year old graphics still nice to look at. High Resolution Texture packs are for losers who can't appreciate good pixel art. :smug:
Agreed. Smoothing pixels on GZDoom doesn't make the game better to look at - it just gives the impression that everything has been coated in Vaseline.

Also, while I'm here, I'm having a weird issue with Samsara where Duke's jetpack can be picked up, but displays an explosion symbol instead of the jetpack, and can't be activated. I've tried typing "samsara_banjetpack 0" into the console, with no luck.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 12, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Starhawk64 posted:

Plus it helps when a WAD has a combination of old and new textures. It looks really awful when there are high resolution vanilla textures mixed in with the WAD's low resolution custom textures.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Starhawk64 posted:

I like Doom fine, but I HAVE to use the HRP for Duke 3d. It's mostly the flying enemies - the distortion looking up and shooting them weirds me out

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Zero Star posted:

Agreed. Smoothing pixels on GZDoom doesn't make the game better to look at - it just gives the impression that everything has been coated in Vaseline..

Only if you do bi- or trilinear filtering. Use HQ2x, it looks better and still maintains full pixelly goodness.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Someone needs to grab all the artists for the original Doom with a time machine and have them make us higher-res versions of the original assets. :mad:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

Someone needs to grab all the artists for the original Doom with a time machine and have them make us higher-res versions of the original assets. :mad:
Id looked into hiring some contractors to do higher-res art for the iOS version of Doom, and they did some tests before deciding it detracted from the game's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
That's a surprisingly shrewd decision, I've played a lot of iOS ports of various games and the only one so far where the "improved graphics" don't look way worse has been Ghost Trick.