Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lawen posted:

Weird, you're right. Mine looks absolutely identical but is an SMC SMCD3GNV. Glad you got your issue fixed though.

Yup, that's the one they gave me here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Props to Apple for putting tons of view option back into playlist/songs view, even stuff that was removed a while back like always displaying the artwork even if the album only has a few songs. I like 11's Album view but it's not good for everything and now I have my playlists just how I like them. I also haven't had a crash on attempting to import files yet, which happened a lot for me with the last version.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Now the only thing I'm really hoping for is that they'll add follow focus (or whatever it's called when the view will jump to the currently playing track) for album and artist views. I absolutely love those views visually but they're basically useless if I'm doing a general shuffle of my entire library, which the majority of my playing is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone having problems with their iTunes continually prompting them for their credentials when purchasing something from iTMS, like an app (in my case).

I can click the purchase button, but the authentication dialog will keep coming up continually until I either hit cancel or quit iTunes. There is no error message associated with this event, the dialog just keeps popping up repeatedly.

If I quit iTunes and reopen it and purchase the item again it goes through perfectly without even asking my credentials (presumably because it has them saved).

This seemed to start after I tried to purchase something on my new (to me) iPhone through the App Store, but since it was a "new" device Apple wanted me to verify my billing info. I didn't have my credit card handy so I couldn't verify the CVV code. I cancelled that and purchased the app on my desktop instead, but since then this has happened every now and then.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just checked my ~/Library/iTunes/ folder and it seems to have some files maybe related to the store. Files named "http_itunes.apple.com_0.localstorage" that might contain some kind of credentials possible? I haven't looked this up, but just a shot in the dark where those credentials could be.

I also have a question. I have some scripts that will select the track in a playlist (or whatever the frontmost window is) that was the least recently played. I don't know Applescript that well, but I can't figure out a way to have it add the selected track to the "Play Next" queue. I just want a script that will add the oldest track in the playlist to be played next without me clicking the arrow next to the song title and telling it to. I can't find any kind of reference to "Play Next" in the library for iTunes though.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Is anyone having problems with their iTunes continually prompting them for their credentials when purchasing something from iTMS, like an app (in my case).

I can click the purchase button, but the authentication dialog will keep coming up continually until I either hit cancel or quit iTunes. There is no error message associated with this event, the dialog just keeps popping up repeatedly.

If I quit iTunes and reopen it and purchase the item again it goes through perfectly without even asking my credentials (presumably because it has them saved)

Did you update to 11.0.3? I started having this issue after updating.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Martytoof posted:

If I quit iTunes and reopen it and purchase the item again it goes through perfectly without even asking my credentials (presumably because it has them saved).

This seemed to start after I tried to purchase something on my new (to me) iPhone through the App Store, but since it was a "new" device Apple wanted me to verify my billing info. I didn't have my credit card handy so I couldn't verify the CVV code. I cancelled that and purchased the app on my desktop instead, but since then this has happened every now and then.

Ughh I just started having this problem and just like you it'll work as soon as I quit and reopen, but only for that purchase, trying to make another one will start the whole thing off again. I'm not sure if it happened since the 11.0.3 upgrade and I just didn't download anything until now (it's definitely possible), but nothing else changed with my system or devices.

Edit: it seems that prompting to Check for Available Downloads might 'fix' this at least some of the time.

Juche Couture fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 30, 2013

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Apologies if this has been asked and answered 1000 times already, but I didn't see anything in the thread. Since iTunes 10.7/IOS 6 came out last year, I've been having a problem where if I leave iTunes on for an extended length of time, either ATH.exe or AppleMobileDevicewhatever.exe will start sucking up 50% or more of my processor. I see plenty of other people complaining about this online and the only solution I ever see is to disable Wi-Fi syncing which I'd really rather not do. For the last few months, I've just been closing iTunes when I'm not using it, but I'd prefer to be able to leave it on.

Is there any known fix for this besides disabling Wi-Fi syncing? Or am I screwed because I'm on Windows and Apple doesn't care to fix this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LIMBO KING posted:

Did you update to 11.0.3? I started having this issue after updating.

Sorry for the late reply. I am pretty sure my iTunes is up-to-date so yes. I don't remember ever having this problem before, but like I said, I also just tried to make purchase on a new device and din't have my CVV2 handy to verify my payment details so I wasn't sure if it was that or if it was Apple locking down my account half-assedly or something :haw:

Sounds like I'm not the only one having this problem, at least, which is good since it means at least it has a chance of being addressed :)

Juche Couture posted:

Edit: it seems that prompting to Check for Available Downloads might 'fix' this at least some of the time.

Interesting. I haven't tried to make any purchases since then but I'll give this a try later on, thanks :)

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Has anyone had iTunes constantly crash since this new update? Just now I was editing some ID3 tags, checked something in Chrome, and had it crash a minute later. Most of the time if I leave it open in the background with nothing playing, it'll crash.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm not sure how much you consider constant, but it's crashed three times on me in the last five days or so, which is definitely more than it ever did before.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
Is there any reason for keeping your apps in iTunes other than quicker iProduct restores? I have a few gigs that I'm beginning to think are a waste of space.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

If an app is ever removed from the store (withdrawn by the vendor or blocked by Apple) then you can't download it again but you can continue to install from your desktop iTunes to any iOs device you sync.

So it's probably not worth it really. Free your gigs.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

mdtyson posted:

Is there any reason for keeping your apps in iTunes other than quicker iProduct restores? I have a few gigs that I'm beginning to think are a waste of space.
Be sure to sync your iOS devices and uncheck Sync Apps on each device before deleting apps. Deleting them from iTunes before unchecking that option might delete the apps from your devices as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cerv posted:

If an app is ever removed from the store (withdrawn by the vendor or blocked by Apple) then you can't download it again but you can continue to install from your desktop iTunes to any iOs device you sync.

So it's probably not worth it really. Free your gigs.

I thought the same, but then I noticed that on my iPad I was able to download and install an app that was long ago withdrawn from sale by the developer. Massive Dev Chart. I guess the developer licensed the name and withdrew the original app to make a new one under a whole new developer account, so he couldn't carry over his existing userbase or something. Anyway, long story short is I thought the app was lost to me forever, but just a few weeks ago I went through my purchase history on my iPad's App Store app and there it was. I hit install and voila!

Of course I don't really know the ins and outs with regards to what is going on behind the scenes. Really weird.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm not sure how much you consider constant, but it's crashed three times on me in the last five days or so, which is definitely more than it ever did before.

More than usual. It usually never crashes but since this update I've had it crash about four or five times.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

keevo posted:

More than usual. It usually never crashes but since this update I've had it crash about four or five times.

For me 11.0.2 had been crashing a whole lot (usually when trying to import files) but 11.0.3 has yet to. Weird.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

mdtyson posted:

I keep them in my library and delete the .ipa files from my disk. It saves space but makes iTunes think I still have them (for whatever just-in-case reason).

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
I need to back up everything on my Ipod, but I don't really trust Itunes to do this as not everything on my Ipod was purchased through Itunes. Is there another way of backing up my library?

Basically I need to exchange my Ipod with one at Apple because the battery no longer charges beyond 10%, and I want to be completely confident that I can replicate my current ipod on to the next.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
It doesn't matter at all if the content was purchased from iTunes. However more to the point, synced content (music, movies, etc) is not part of iTunes backup: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I'd use something like Senuti, if it's still around.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Juche Couture posted:

For me 11.0.2 had been crashing a whole lot (usually when trying to import files) but 11.0.3 has yet to. Weird.

I restarted my computer and it hasn't crashed since then. Really weird.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm subscribed to a couple of iTunes Season Passes. They are supposed to auto-download, right? It seems like I get the email about new episodes in the middle of the night, then I have to manually download by clicking on the little iCloud icon next to them. If I manually do "Check For Available Downloads" (which is no better really), it is about 50/50 it will find the new episode. This is all on a Mac.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

smackfu posted:

I'm subscribed to a couple of iTunes Season Passes. They are supposed to auto-download, right? It seems like I get the email about new episodes in the middle of the night, then I have to manually download by clicking on the little iCloud icon next to them. If I manually do "Check For Available Downloads" (which is no better really), it is about 50/50 it will find the new episode. This is all on a Mac.

"Download Pre-Orders When Available" also has to be turned on in the preferences. It's in the Store tab.

By default (Download Pre-Orders off), it'll check and let you know they've become available, but you have to then download them yourself.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Any of you guys know why after changing my system drive over to an SDD and restoring my old itunes library from an update that iTunes now stops responding for 3-5 seconds whenever I do a manual track change?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Martytoof posted:

11.0.4 is out and fixes this

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

Any of you guys know why after changing my system drive over to an SDD and restoring my old itunes library from an update that iTunes now stops responding for 3-5 seconds whenever I do a manual track change?
I've had a similar problem ever since 11 came out. I haven't changed drives nor have I modified my library in any way, but certain tracks freeze iTunes for up to 10 seconds (the amount of time depending on file size, seemingly) with both manual and automatic track changes.

The issue happens with .mp3 files exclusively but that's the only common factor that I can find. If I convert the files to .m4a for instance the problem goes away for those specific tracks. It's loving annoying to play music on shuffle to have it take a long break between random tracks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

"Download Pre-Orders When Available" also has to be turned on in the preferences. It's in the Store tab.

By default (Download Pre-Orders off), it'll check and let you know they've become available, but you have to then download them yourself.

Yeah, doesn't work right here. I toggled it on and off, and also signed in and out of the store, but it still says "No available downloads" after I force a check.

It's annoying since they release them in the middle of the night and I would like them to download while I'm asleep, but instead I have to remember to download them the next day if I want to watch them only one day behind.

Ideally I would just watch them live-streamed on the Apple TV but my DSL is not up to that. You hit Play and it says it will be ready to watch in 40 minutes, which is about half the time it would take to just download the drat thing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it possible to remove music from my purchased history? Like I want iTunes to forget I ever purchased this song.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it possible to remove music from my purchased history? Like I want iTunes to forget I ever purchased this song.

Library > "Bieber Shame"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Accipiter posted:

Library > "Bieber Shame"

Yes something like that.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm considering using iTunes match, but I'm wondering if there are any common "gotchas" I should worry about.

FWIW, I have about 18k songs in my library, some random live stuff but mostly generic album rips. I plan on only purchasing music through iTunes moving forward, and I use smart playlists to sync music to my devices.

Goal is to delete my library from local computers so I can free up hard drive space.

Thanks!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

dexter6 posted:

I'm considering using iTunes match, but I'm wondering if there are any common "gotchas" I should worry about.

Based on a system of black magic, iTunes Match may deem some of your live stuff as not qualifying for Match. If it's good-quality stuff it'll usually take it, but if it's lo-fi super bootleg stuff you may be stuck keeping at least that part of your library around (and manually syncing that portion with any device you want it on).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Other common gotcha is that it may match explicit versions of songs to the censored version.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would not rely on iTunes Match as your only backup for music. Definitely keep your own copy of everything on a HD somewhere.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boris Galerkin posted:

Kind of. You can "hide" purchases.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4919?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Thanks for the feedback. Anything else I should consider before pulling the trigger on iTunes match?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

smackfu posted:

Other common gotcha is that it may match explicit versions of songs to the censored version.

This has been fixed.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

dexter6 posted:

Thanks for the feedback. Anything else I should consider before pulling the trigger on iTunes match?
The two main problems I have with it are 1) I have a lot of ~2 hour mixsets, many of which are above the allowed limit for uploading. Because you can't manually sync extra tracks to a device with Match enabled, this means I can't listen to these without doing a full manual sync. 2) is the fact that I want to listen to my music the most when I'm on a long train or plane journey - which is when I have the least Internet connectivity. So just be aware of your connection quality and download caps, I guess.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

This has been fixed.

A few scattered matched songs of mine are still censored. Is there an easy fix for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I have a lot of music on an external HDD, but I'm tired of having songs in my library that don't work and are flagged as "missing" - especially when I rarely listen to it.

Is there a way to prune all the missing files on Windows? They have to be played to get flagged as missing, I believe, so the prospect of manually flagging and deleting them seems impossible right now.