Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I have noticed during E3 so far that games now get a tablet mode, even Battlefield 4 has it for the commander's view and Division has it for a low-intensity UAV-based player "character" option. That'd all work nicely on a system that natively supports and ships with a tablet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Chronojam posted:

I have noticed during E3 so far that games now get a tablet mode, even Battlefield 4 has it for the commander's view and Division has it for a low-intensity UAV-based player "character" option. That'd all work nicely on a system that natively supports and ships with a tablet :v:

The hilarious bit is that no user will actually have a tablet resting on their lap as they play with a controller and switching between them -- sane ones, at least -- because it's incredibly cumbersome. This whole secondary tablet thing is just there to appease investors and shareholders.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Saoshyant posted:

I could explain the long history of barebone support of EA for Nintendo consoles, but it usually boils down to "you didn't give me a favorable deal" or "nobody's buying your console". In spite of what they said last year on how close both companies would be with the U, it ended up like this in a nightmare combination of both of those reasons.

About 14 years ago, EA boycotted the Dreamcast. It was bad, but it was mostly bad because EA was one of various big companies doing the same thing, the others being Square (when they were big), Konami, and Namco (who pretended the system didn't exist after Soul Calibur). The EA of 14 years ago isn't the gigantic mammoth that it is today what with having spent the past decade buying every company that could be competing with them. A modern EA boycott is a huge issue and, in spite of whatever opinion you might have of them, it is one issue that Nintendo will have to find a way to solve somehow.

Agreed.

I'm not saying that EA can't say it's because the console has sold low numbers. Just that acting like that's the only reason is ridiculous. Any company operating on that point of view cannot support any new console because all new consoles have a low attachment rate. But everyone supports new consoles because you want to dig your claws in and create a relationship with software consumers. That's where the concept falls apart.

Also, EA is more than allowed to walk away from Nintendo. Just be honest with it. "We don't want to support Nintendo Wii U as we feel our company is better suited to focus on the Sony and Microsoft next generation consoles as well as our other current relationships" would have been perfectly fine to say. Instead it's excuse after excuse, especially now that we'll definitely see EA published Star Wars games on the Wii U.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crowbear posted:

They are clearly holding onto Beyond Good and Evil 2 for the Direct :pray:

I will hold out hope every year until E3 ends and I will never not have my dreams crushed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Good_and_Evil_2

Uh they announced it already, like months ago.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

WendigoJohnson posted:

They also announced Project Hammer, remember that?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

WendigoJohnson posted:

I won't believe it until they show or say anything at all in public. If it's actually being developed why wouldn't they mention it at their E3 conference?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Also, EA is more than allowed to walk away from Nintendo. Just be honest with it.

Every single post you have on the subject of EA abandoning Nintendo makes everything sound creepily reminiscent of someone telling their ex-boyfriend/girlfriend that they just want to know why the break up even happened, but every time they are told the reason why ("it's you, Nintendo, I just...can't sell on your systems right now") they freak out and demand to know the "real" reason.

I like how you keep repeating that "everyone supports new consoles" even after agreeing that this is not always the case. What software consumers is EA (or anyone else) really going to appeal to on the Wii U right now? That imagined group numbering in the tens of millions who still think the Wii U is an addon to the Wii? The group that is happy to pay for basic online amenities every year on their Xbox? The group that felt better served by the PS3?

EA isn't abandoning Nintendo permanently, so far as we know. Nobody really has. When there are good reasons to put games on the system, people will put games on the system. Not because they want to form "relationships with gamers", but because they smell an opportunity to make money. Its really that simple.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Once Mario Kart sells 20 million systems, you'll see Madden 16 screens on a Nintendo Direct.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

fivegears4reverse posted:

When there are good reasons to put games on the system, people will put games on the system. Not because they want to form "relationships with gamers", but because they smell an opportunity to make money. Its really that simple.

And so we return to the ouroboros. Even better that it is third party publishers waiting for Nintendo to release console sellers so then more people own a Wii-U.

So then they can whine and cry that people only buy first party titles on Nintendo consoles. Hmmmm... I sense... bullshit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Didn't someone start another thread for these stupid arguments?

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Kirby's Epic Yarn has to be the most adorable game I've ever played. It has me grinning the whole time.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

And so we return to the ouroboros. Even better that it is third party publishers waiting for Nintendo to release console sellers so then more people own a Wii-U.

So then they can whine and cry that people only buy first party titles on Nintendo consoles. Hmmmm... I sense... bullshit.

I'm not sure where the bullshit comes into it. If EA don't think it's going to be profitable to release a game on a console with a low user base they won't, which then means fewer people will buy the console so they continue in that way. It's a self fulfilling prophecy, but why would anyone at EA care if they can sell the same amount of games on other consoles? They've got other options. Nintendo are the only company that need to make sure the Wii U is a success so you can't really blame other companies for not trying to break that "orobouros" because its pretty high risk.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

flare posted:

Kirby's Epic Yarn has to be the most adorable game I've ever played. It has me grinning the whole time.

It's charming as gently caress, but I wish it wasn't so patronizingly easy. Like Kirby games are already easy, they didn't need to make it so that it's impossible to die. Infinite lives, yes absolutely that should be standard, but punish me a little for loving up! The aesthetic is so great though, and the new Yoshi game on the WiiU looks similar (the one coming out on the 3DS looks ugly though let's not discuss that)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Thinking of the Xbox presentation, the one thing that actually made me think "drat, that was smart" was Microsoft getting exclusive rights to World of Tanks on console. If Nintendo had thought of doing that, especially with the U not having the Live paywall in the way to play a bloody F2P game, it would have worked out great for both parties, but alas.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Macaluso posted:

It's charming as gently caress, but I wish it wasn't so patronizingly easy. Like Kirby games are already easy, they didn't need to make it so that it's impossible to die. Infinite lives, yes absolutely that should be standard, but punish me a little for loving up! The aesthetic is so great though, and the new Yoshi game on the WiiU looks similar (the one coming out on the 3DS looks ugly though let's not discuss that)

Yeah agree about the easy part. Makes me think of a really imaginative version of Blues Clues.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Macaluso posted:

Trying to 100% is pretty nasty, though. Some of those levels are deceptively tough when you can only afford to take one good hit or fall in a pit once before you risk losing too many beads to get the gold medal.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

As long as you make 100% your baseline acceptable goal, Epic Yarn is plenty challenging. It just requires a bit of self imposition.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Once Mario Kart sells 20 million systems, you'll see Madden 16 screens on a Nintendo Direct.

Yeah can we seriously just end the argument here?

Can't believe I have to work during the direct tomorrow. I'm gonna be right here on the forums at work, you fuckers. :argh:

quote:

As long as you make 100% your baseline acceptable goal, Epic Yarn is plenty challenging. It just requires a bit of self imposition.
I don't like this argument. No offense to you but I think "Oh the game can be hard, you just have to -" is the beginning of a very dumb statement.

The game should be challenging on its own, or at least offer a harder difficulty that I don't have to beat the game once for as many Nintendo games do. I can't bring myself to replay Metroid Prime because I need to slog through the boring rear end normal mode before I can get to the real game. The same goes for Diablo 3 and countless other games.

A game should push me to my absolute limit and force me to utilize all my resources, and even then, still fail. Not ask me to kindly tie a hand behind my back.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 11, 2013

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Bobnumerotres posted:

The game should be challenging on its own, or at least offer a harder difficulty that I don't have to beat the game once for as many Nintendo games do. I can't bring myself to replay Metroid Prime because I need to slog through the boring rear end normal mode before I can get to the real game. The same goes for Diablo 3 and countless other games.

A game should push me to my absolute limit and force me to utilize all my resources, and even then, still fail. Not ask me to kindly tie a hand behind my back.

The 100% completion is effectively the "harder difficulty." It just happens to be one that you attempt at the same time as the very easy primary game. It doesn't really require any self-imposition, as its presented right there as a goal to strive for.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I honestly thought a lot of the same things about Epic Yarn until I watched my 5yo niece play it. That's when I realized just how great the game is at teaching gameplay concepts you and I take for granted using its aesthetic and incredible level design. Its really an amazing game.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't like this argument. No offense to you but I think "Oh the game can be hard, you just have to -" is the beginning of a very dumb statement.

Video games meant for children should be punishingly difficult.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is very much a children's game, completely designed around being accessible to children. Getting 100% is a decent challenge though, and is meant to be a way for skilled players to be able to enjoy the game without alienating the actual target audience.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
With PS4 only $50 more, I have to imagine Nintendo will have to drop their price.

Nintendo is now the only console with free online multiplayer however.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

greatn posted:

With PS4 only $5 more, I have to imagine Nintendo will have to drop their price.

Nintendo is now the only console with free online multiplayer however.

The Wii U is also the only backwards compatible next gen console. I wonder if they'll try and slip those facts in the Nintendo Direct tomorrow?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

The Wii U is also backwards compatible with the Wii. I wonder if they'll try and slip those facts in the Nintendo Direct tomorrow?

I don't think that would really impress anyone.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Video games meant for children should be punishingly difficult.

Just look at the NES! Some of those titles are still nearly impossible for me to beat, and this is decades after the console was released. You can't tell me that those games weren't for children too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vrikkian posted:

Just look at the NES! Some of those titles are still nearly impossible for me to beat, and this is decades after the console was released. You can't tell me that those games weren't for children too.

Exactly. I beat battletoads, contra, super contra 3, street fighter 2 turbo, MKII, original NES metroid, super metroid (not hard but definitely makes you think more than most games), etc. all before I reached the age of 10.

Kids have an assimilation rate that is hundreds of times faster than that of an adult's. They learn concepts very quickly and adapt easier than most. I was actually more able to beat contra as a kid than I am as an adult, if I were to start it fresh. Today I can't play street fighter to save my life.

vvv Not horribly designed, just designed around a "put another coin in" mindset that elongated short games with extreme difficulty.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 11, 2013

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Vrikkian posted:

Most NES games are only difficult because they are horribly designed.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

greatn posted:

I don't think that would really impress anyone.

I guess you're probably right. It's just I've been following the PS4/Xbox One threads and people seem to make a really big deal about backwards compatibility

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The kids I know do not like hard games and will lose interest after dying two or three times.

I enjoyed all sorts of hard games when I was a kid, but I'm not so sure that's the norm anymore.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Can't believe I have to work during the direct tomorrow. I'm gonna be right here on the forums at work, you fuckers. :argh:

This is one of the few times when my lovely work schedule works out for me for a change. :)

Since there's only going to be a Direct tomorrow morning instead of a press conference will there be a separate thread for it or will we just discuss it here?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The kids I know do not like hard games and will lose interest after dying two or three times.

I enjoyed all sorts of hard games when I was a kid, but I'm not so sure that's the norm anymore.

My parents would scream at me if I didn't play the hard games they bought me with their hard-earned money and I hope these kids' parents do the same. :colbert:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Cherokee Jack posted:

This is one of the few times when my lovely work schedule works out for me for a change. :)

Since there's only going to be a Direct tomorrow morning instead of a press conference will there be a separate thread for it or will we just discuss it here?

There'll be a thread for it. E3 chat goes a million posts a minute and would clutter the hell out of this thread if we didn't make a separate one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Crowbear posted:

There'll be a thread for it. E3 chat goes a million posts a minute and would clutter the hell out of this thread if we didn't make a separate one.

Are the Nintendo directs going to be live or are they just going up as prerecorded videos? Because the live chat on the forums is always so fun

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Macaluso posted:

Are the Nintendo directs going to be live or are they just going up as prerecorded videos? Because the live chat on the forums is always so fun

If it's anything like the others it'll be streamed "live" so people can't skip ahead.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well, the bright side for Nintendo is that they're down to one competitor this gen.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Well, the bright side for Nintendo is that they're down to one competitor this gen.

I wouldn't call the Vita a competitor. :v:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Someone should make the E3 thread soon, so we can start discussing how Nintendo is doomed.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Nintendo E3 2013: The Wii U is clearly a great value, who needs E3 to explain that?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Nintendo E3 2013: We swear the WiiU isn't the next Dreamcast. Look it's got a new Sonic on it!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Nintendo E3 2013: Seriously? Smash Bros.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 11, 2013

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
If Nintendo can show some superlative first party games, especially new/like new IP, as well as even one or two solid third party exclusives due out in the next twelve months, while pushing free online and asymmetrical multiplayer (and possibly a ambassador program) they could really gain a huge boost from the crash and burn that is the XBone.

C'mon Nintendo. I believe.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Pretty sure price cut is imminent. Here comes Ambassador.

As I said in the E3 thread, I hope Waluigi is in Smash.

a.lo fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The OP for the E3 thread has basically been making every conference thread a few minutes before the show goes live. Just wait.

• Locked thread