Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The fact that a lot of the action sequences had gameplay interfaces in front of it bodes well.

The fact that they all seem to be dressed in ways that aren't utterly goofy is also kind of nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Even though I only got recently re-interested in Final Fantasy, and the latest Final Fantasy game I've actually played is VIII, I am still extremely excited for XV. That trailer is cool as hell.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
To be that honest, it didn't look TOO complicated. It looks like the main gameplay hook will be that Noctis can instantly warp to wherever his sword is, and he can throw his sword and stick it into surfaces. Aside from that there does indeed seem to be quite a number of set-piece moments in there a-la Uncharted.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I can think of significantly poorer series' to imitate. I can also think of a myriad of ways in which Uncharted would be improved by being able to fling dozens of magical teleporting swords at people.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Mazed posted:

The fact that they all seem to be dressed in ways that aren't utterly goofy is also kind of nice.

I didn't even notice this, but holy poo poo. Noct is wearing a shirt that an actual human being might wear. There are people shooting magic swords while wearing tuxedos.

XV confirmed for classiest Final Fantasy.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The 399 PS4 price point helps... Assuming you actually get a hard drive with that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
This sounds to me like a sad acknowledgment that they don't have the ability to create two big games at once, and frankly feels more like an admission of defeat than anything else.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

This sounds to me like a sad acknowledgment that they don't have the ability to create two big games at once, and frankly feels more like an admission of defeat than anything else.

They've always struck me as chronically understaffed, though. It shouldn't take them as long as it does to create games like FFXII-2, especially when compared to other game studios that crank out much more complex games with physics engines and such.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Well, I bet SE was like, "we might as well dub versus 13, XV, for all the time it spent in development hell"

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

The XV trailer shows more than every Versus XIII snippet combined. It doesn't matter at this point what they had to scrap. Prior to now, Versus was a non-game. This looks like we may actually get a game. If they pull that off, mission accomplished.

Whether or not its a good game remains to be seen.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm so stoked for FF15 you guys have no idea. Its awesome to be excited about a final fantasy again.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Personally for me, I'm excited about XIII-3, XIV, and now XV. I'm pretty happy right now!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Noctis has a cool dad. I hope Square-Enix continues this trend of cool dads, because there aren't enough of them in JRPGs.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
That giant Leviathan just going around the city wrecking poo poo looks really cool.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I'm just glad Toriyama's not directing this one. :allears:

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

I want to really be excited about this but this isn't exactly a new game and is essentially Kingdom Hearts: Final Fantasy Style. Hell, they even kept the 'Fabula Nova Crystallis' logo at the start.

I was really hoping for a brand new FF announcement and this was a definitely let-down. The game looks pretty, at least.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

dude789 posted:

That giant Leviathan just going around the city wrecking poo poo looks really cool.

Hell's yeah. It's so cool that this is an action RPG, and there are all these Final Fantasy creatures. Like, Noctis was fighting an Iron Giant at one point. It's really cool to see these dudes in all their PS4 glory.

Eggie posted:

I'm just glad Toriyama's not directing this one. :allears:

Yes, oh god yes. Finally, a Final Fantasy without that dude's grubby paws all over it. Also, a Final Fantasy in god know's how long without any baggage from FF13. That's got me more excited than almost anything. We can finally, after the release of Lightning Returns, put 13 behind us once and for all. And mind you I'm not one of those people that really hated 13.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Noctis has a cool dad. I hope Square-Enix continues this trend of cool dads, because there aren't enough of them in JRPGs.

Well its a tough trend to overcome when otherwise your dad is dead or the evil villain of the story.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Well its a tough trend to overcome when otherwise your dad is dead or the evil villain of the story.

To be fair, that trailer made it look like he's going to be dead as hell by the end of the first act at the very latest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

To be fair, that trailer made it look like he's going to be dead as hell by the end of the first act at the very latest.

Given how he's a young looking kid in all the interactions with his dad his dad is so dead that the only other outcomes are

1) Fake death, is villain
2) Becomes that masked dude who helps the hero
3) Becomes wise cracking crystal sidekick

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

LoudLoudNoise posted:

I want to really be excited about this but this isn't exactly a new game and is essentially Kingdom Hearts: Final Fantasy Style. Hell, they even kept the 'Fabula Nova Crystallis' logo at the start.

I was really hoping for a brand new FF announcement and this was a definitely let-down. The game looks pretty, at least.

It's okay, there's still hope they'll announce XVI during tomorrow's conference. You know how SE loves announcing games before finishing like, anything first.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

LoudLoudNoise posted:

Considering the previous released information about Versus pretty much amounted to "is a thing", to me this trailer felt exactly like the announcement of a new game.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I haven't been waiting for XV so much as I've been waiting for that soundtrack! I NEED IT!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Barudak posted:

Given how he's a young looking kid in all the interactions with his dad his dad is so dead that the only other outcomes are

1) Fake death, is villain
2) Becomes that masked dude who helps the hero
3) Becomes wise cracking crystal sidekick

I try not to think about that, even though it's obvious :smith:. I think that Mexican standoff is where he makes his exit.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Level Slide posted:

I try not to think about that, even though it's obvious :smith:. I think that Mexican standoff is where he makes his exit.

Dads are tough.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bland posted:

Don't see many film noir movies with iceplosions, insane feats of acrobatics, massive swordfights and parkour

Final Fantasy versus Assassin's Creed.

The movement and fighting had me wondering when a wristblade would come out. The hooded figure didn't help with the vibe either.

I'm hopeful but SE has made me wary over these last few years. Plus if it's only on PS4 I won't be able to get it for the foreseeable future anyways unless I get a free PS4.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If it's been in development hell for seven years, there's a good chance it's accumulated a ton of half-baked ideas. On the other hand, maybe all the time was wasted on upgrading assets and they've polished the gameplay to a mirror sheen.

I can't tell what it actually plays like just from the trailer and that's a bit worrisome. But it's got old men saying ominous things about crystals, and that's enough to make it feel familiar.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I know nothing about the development hell of this monstrosity, but at the very least it appears to have Crystals in it? That's a step in the right direction I guess.

Kinda reminds me of FFIV in a way, trying to fight off the Red Wings and protect the crystal as they take over Fabul.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

If it's been in development hell for seven years, there's a good chance it's accumulated a ton of half-baked ideas. On the other hand, maybe all the time was wasted on upgrading assets and they've polished the gameplay to a mirror sheen.

I can't tell what it actually plays like just from the trailer and that's a bit worrisome. But it's got old men saying ominous things about crystals, and that's enough to make it feel familiar.

Well, I was looking at the trailer...the most evident gameplay system is the one where you can warp to wherever your sword is. Which is what the top option on the "action bar" at the bottom is for, obviously. But it's not a KH style action bar, it doesn't look like, because it doesn't seem like any action is being selected there, it seems like it's a one button press thing. It's most obvious when he's warping.

Another thing, is that you seem to constantly have multiple swords active that can be switched between. One even seems to be a lance of some sort. Dunno what part this plays in the gameplay. I'm thinking of a situation where you can have multiple swords "active", or out in the battlefield, and you can warp between each of them. It's all speculation.

There's also a point in the trailer where Noctis uses a spell on a Bahamut, but it isn't like KH where attack and magic seem to be different selections on an action bar, but that you can change attack to magic, to use magic. I'm thinking that there are three selections on that bar at all times, Warp, which seems like a core part of the gameplay, the middle one which seems to be an attack of some sort, and whatever linkform is. The middle one, the attack, seems like it can be toggled between multiple things, such as magic, and I'm thinking may even be how you get access to items. I could see a situation where L1/R1 switch between attack/magic/item, each used by the same button.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mischitary posted:

There's also a point in the trailer where Noctis uses a spell on a Bahamut, but it isn't like KH where attack and magic seem to be different selections on an action bar, but that you can change attack to magic, to use magic. I'm thinking that there are three selections on that bar at all times, Warp, which seems like a core part of the gameplay, the middle one which seems to be an attack of some sort, and whatever linkform is. The middle one, the attack, seems like it can be toggled between multiple things, such as magic, and I'm thinking may even be how you get access to items. I could see a situation where L1/R1 switch between attack/magic/item, each used by the same button.

Wait Bahamut was in the trailer? Or do you mean Leviathan?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I'm so loving excited for LR: FFXIII and XV.

So good to be a Square Enix fan right now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm not super excited about XV, but at least this says they fully intend on actually releasing the game. Before today, I was convinced it was going to get canceled.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
That art direction looks fantastic, that's a really pretty game (and soundtrack too)

Hoping its some hybrid between KH and XII combat and there's actual fights instead of constant hack n slash that we saw.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Looks like Yoko Shimomura's on the soundtrack. Makes sense since this is basically a joint by the Kingdom Hearts team.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Mischitary posted:

We can finally, after the release of Lightning Returns, put 13 behind us once and for all. And mind you I'm not one of those people that really hated 13.

Nor here, but good god has it been around for too long.

A kid growing up playing Square-Enix games now would have nothing but 13s offered to them throughout nearly the same timeframe we got FF4, FF6, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and FF7.

Bellmaker posted:

Kinda reminds me of FFIV in a way, trying to fight off the Red Wings and protect the crystal as they take over Fabul.

Immediately got that vibe as well. That was probably intentional.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Earthbound isnt Square :shh:

e: What happened to :shh:?

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training
I really hope that they get rid of the "navigate a menu to instruct your character what to do" gameplay that FF has been stuck with for the past 20+ years. What they showed in the trailer cries out to be made as a good action RPG.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Earthbound isnt Square :shh:

e: What happened to :shh:?

It's : ssh:, not :shh:

:ssh:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Earthbound wasn't Square. Do you mean Mario RPG? 'Cause that was also amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
Will XV be a release title for the PS4?