Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Any idea how the smilies would be implemented? I ask because most of them are animated, what they lack in file size is made up in the volume of them.

I don't plan on using a web view to display them, I can tell you that. And I don't think they take up that much space altogether, maybe a couple megabytes. Does that answer your question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Just any bog down from having the full list shown.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Does the iOS image view only show the first frame of the GIF like it does in Android? The images themselves are actually pretty small, around 3-10kb each. Some kind of grid view would work pretty well. It would be especially nice if you have a filter text input so you could start typing the emote and find the one you want.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and/or a favourites implementation of the smilies?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

pokeyman posted:

I don't plan on using a web view to display them, I can tell you that. And I don't think they take up that much space altogether, maybe a couple megabytes. Does that answer your question?

I'd love to have access to smilies and VBulletin script. Still, I can see Awful app slowing to a crawl no matter how you choose to display all the smilies.

Why does iOS suck at .gifs so much? .gif threads are just impossible to view after the 3rd or 4th post, and that's on an iPhone 5.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

I'd love to have access to smilies and VBulletin script. Still, I can see Awful app slowing to a crawl no matter how you choose to display all the smilies.

Why does iOS suck at .gifs so much? .gif threads are just impossible to view after the 3rd or 4th post, and that's on an iPhone 5.

That's webkit slowing down due to the animation, if those gifs are shown as static images outside webkit they don't have any performance hit.

GIF threads on the other hand; good luck. Ain't no fix for that. I put a lot of blood and sweat into fixing that on awful.apk, and the current workaround isn't working out like I hoped.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Terminal Entropy posted:

Just any bog down from having the full list shown.

I won't ship it if it bogs down like a thread full of GIFs.

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Does the iOS image view only show the first frame of the GIF like it does in Android? The images themselves are actually pretty small, around 3-10kb each. Some kind of grid view would work pretty well. It would be especially nice if you have a filter text input so you could start typing the emote and find the one you want.

UIImageView will happily show an animated image... if you provide each frame and their durations. Awful.app already uses some code to deconstruct an animated GIF into a format suitable for UIImageView: it's what makes previews of animated GIFs work when you long-tap.

Left to its own devices, though, UIImageView only shows frame one.

echinopsis posted:

and/or a favourites implementation of the smilies?

Definitely part of the plan.

goku chewbacca posted:

Salvador Dalvik correctly identifies WebKit as the culprit. If you view GIF threads in Safari or Chrome on OS X (which also use WebKit) you'll often get slow scrolling performance there too, and that's with considerably more resources than an iPhone 5.

Having identified the culprit, I can't explain it. Recent iOS devices have no problem animating a dozen things at once on the screen, but funnel it through WebKit formatted as GIFs and it's Crash Season in Stutter City.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I've noticed problems rendering animated gifs in webkit going back probably a decade. Computers got fast enough that it wasn't as noticeable but now because of stuff like tumblr animated gifs are becoming more popular again and I'm surprised they haven't improved it.

mikon
Apr 5, 2009
Is it possible to add in a 'currently viewing' tab kind of thing, where it'll have the last thread you were viewing. Like there used to be in the earlier versions of Awful? I've missed it a lot.

Two use cases for it:

1) my fat thumbs keep accidentally brushing the back button while i'm reading a thread (e.g. especially happens when i reach for the status bar to scroll up)

2) I'm going through a long thread and I use my phone to do other stuff in between causing Awful to full quit and lose the thread.

This is especially so when reading old threads or threads that are gotten to from a link, its a long process to have to dig up the thread again.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
There was a recent WebKit bug where it was explained that .gif animations are started when they enter the viewport, but never actually stopped after that. So when scrolling in large .gif threads you'll quickly have a lot of simultaneous gifs animating, even if they aren't visible.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

mikon posted:

Is it possible to add in a 'currently viewing' tab kind of thing, where it'll have the last thread you were viewing. Like there used to be in the earlier versions of Awful? I've missed it a lot.

It's on the list. Definitely one of the worst parts of the app.

Smol posted:

There was a recent WebKit bug where it was explained that .gif animations are started when they enter the viewport, but never actually stopped after that. So when scrolling in large .gif threads you'll quickly have a lot of simultaneous gifs animating, even if they aren't visible.

Interesting, I'll have to take a look at that.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Another vote for being able to shut off the auto-refresh of threads. I can pull to refresh just fine. Pleasepleaseplease.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Veinless posted:

Another vote for being able to shut off the auto-refresh of threads. I can pull to refresh just fine. Pleasepleaseplease.

The current auto-refresh setup isn't great. I'm convinced there is a "when to auto-refresh" that does work great. But if I can't find one I'll add a setting.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I can't figure out how to change my yospos theme again :(

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

I can't figure out how to change my yospos theme again :(

Open the font settings button on the bottom right.

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 10, 2013

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Just found a bug with that:

If I change my YOSPOS theme to the light theme and back to a YOSPOS theme, the rest of the forums are still changed to the light theme, even if it was dark before.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

They also won't work if you use a custom CSS for the normal theme.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kazy posted:

Just found a bug with that:

If I change my YOSPOS theme to the light theme and back to a YOSPOS theme, the rest of the forums are still changed to the light theme, even if it was dark before.

That's actually intentional, though maybe unexpected. The light/dark theme choices there correspond to the "dark mode" setting in the Settings tab.

Terminal Entropy posted:

They also won't work if you use a custom CSS for the normal theme.

Could you elaborate on what's not working?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Switching between YOSPOS themes wouldn't work at all other than the normal dark theme that works everywhere. I removed the custom CSS but I could try again tomorrow to test it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Terminal Entropy posted:

Switching between YOSPOS themes wouldn't work at all other than the normal dark theme that works everywhere. I removed the custom CSS but I could try again tomorrow to test it.

Right you are! I'll fix that up.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think there might be a very minor bug here.

Follow an internal link to a thread.
Bookmark that thread.
Go to bookmarks list and that thread is missing an icon.

I couldn't reproduce that but maybe it only happens the first time onw given thread?

mikon
Apr 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

It's on the list. Definitely one of the worst parts of the app.

That's great to hear! I still really love the app anyway and for most things I actually prefer browsing through the app than the main site :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

smackfu posted:

I think there might be a very minor bug here.

Follow an internal link to a thread.
Bookmark that thread.
Go to bookmarks list and that thread is missing an icon.

I couldn't reproduce that but maybe it only happens the first time onw given thread?

Which thread? Or more specifically, what's the thread's icon? If the icon is newer than the most recent release, the app has to download it before it'll appear. And Awful can't tell what a thread's icon should be until it opens a list (bookmarks, a forum) with that thread in it.

And when you say "missing an icon", do you mean it has the "empty thread" icon or just blank space?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Smol posted:

Interesting, I'll have to take a look at that.

I'm just reading through the known issues for the iOS 7 beta, one of them implies Apple may have already looked at this. Or maybe it's just a coincidental bug.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Which thread? Or more specifically, what's the thread's icon? If the icon is newer than the most recent release, the app has to download it before it'll appear. And Awful can't tell what a thread's icon should be until it opens a list (bookmarks, a forum) with that thread in it.

And when you say "missing an icon", do you mean it has the "empty thread" icon or just blank space?

It was the thread linked in this post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508117&perpage=40&pagenumber=162#post416336099

It should have the Apple logo, but it was just a blank space the first time I went to the Bookmarks tab after adding it. After I refreshed, it showed up. Maybe that is just how it works?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

smackfu posted:

It was the thread linked in this post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508117&perpage=40&pagenumber=162#post416336099

It should have the Apple logo, but it was just a blank space the first time I went to the Bookmarks tab after adding it. After I refreshed, it showed up. Maybe that is just how it works?

If it's the Apple logo then something probably just messed up. That's not a new tag.

If Awful encounters a tag it hasn't seen before, it'll queue up a download and show it as soon as it's downloaded. In theory. But old tags should just be there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thanks for all the iOS 7 crash reports early adopting jerks :argh:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hahaha, none from me! Though my boss will probably convince me to do it by the end of the day.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I feel like you've said this before, or it was at least in the repo somewhere, but was there a specific reason you're using the web view to do the posts view? Other than DOM-scraping being awful? I feel like you mentioned javascript or something at some point, but I'm not seeing it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

I feel like you've said this before, or it was at least in the repo somewhere, but was there a specific reason you're using the web view to do the posts view? Other than DOM-scraping being awful? I feel like you mentioned javascript or something at some point, but I'm not seeing it.

I wrote an effortpost earlier in this thread, though my thoughts have evolved since then. My current tl;dr is that posts are only available as HTML, we have no control over that HTML, and a web view is the least bad for that task.

I was recently on a JavaScript eradication kick and was vocal about it in commit messages, maybe that's what you were reading?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Thanks for all the iOS 7 crash reports early adopting jerks :argh:

I rebuilt the dev version before I left for work this morning, saw it launch once (to the login screen) so presumed it was working fine, and after leaving the house realised it crashed at every launch. I can't rebuild it again til I get home and I've got withdrawal symptoms now :(

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

All that debate over what icon to use for the reply button, and with iOS 7, it will just get turned back into text.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They actually still use icons for reply, compose, forward, etc. in Mail. So even if Awful goes to a fully native iOS 7 design, it can still use the iOS 7 equivalent of icon that's there now.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I'm wondering, is it possible to register some urls to be opened in an external app? I mean, it would be cool if it was possible to open forum threads that I google in the Awful app instead of Safari. I think the YouTube app does something like this, but I haven't looked how they actually implemented it.

Edit: Probably not, now that I think of the security implications. Not without the site opting in.

Smol fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 11, 2013

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
Just posting to say thanks for all the time and effort put into this app, helps to stave off boredom on the commute big time.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Smol posted:

I'm wondering, is it possible to register some urls to be opened in an external app? I mean, it would be cool if it was possible to open forum threads that I google in the Awful app instead of Safari. I think the YouTube app does something like this, but I haven't looked how they actually implemented it.

Edit: Probably not, now that I think of the security implications. Not without the site opting in.

YouTube is only able to do this because the same people control the website and the app. If they detect that you're on an iPhone they redirect you to their custom url scheme which opens the video in the app. Awful has a url scheme already (for example: awful://threads/3510131 should take you to this thread in the app), but nobody can make the forums redirect to that url scheme without access to the site's code.

What you can do though is copy the url of the thread you want to open, and then when you open Awful it should detect that url in your clipboard and ask if you want to open it in the app.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, that's one bummer of it not being an "official" app.

The official Apple way to do this now is to put some HTML in the page that pops up an App Banner in Safari. It would have a button to launch the app and provide the context, like which thread you clicked.

This stuff: http://developer.apple.com/library/...AppBanners.html

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I use the app a lot on a wifi iPad, and I'd like to be able to use it in places I don't have online access. Would it be possible to add a feature like that? Like a "preload the next 10 pages" button or something. Granted, this would only be useful on threads I have a backlog in, but it would be really awesome for that.

vvv. Ahh, cool, I didn't think it'd work that way. Thanks!

graventy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 13, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

graventy posted:

I use the app a lot on a wifi iPad, and I'd like to be able to use it in places I don't have online access. Would it be possible to add a feature like that? Like a "preload the next 10 pages" button or something. Granted, this would only be useful on threads I have a backlog in, but it would be really awesome for that.

The pages you view will be cached and available offline. You can fake your button by simply loading the next ten pages, then going back to where you were and marking read to there. Then, when you're offline, the pages should load. (Probably without images, but it's something.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there any plan to add caching though? I'd love to be able to download all unread pages on a thread I'm behind in, images included.

• Locked thread