Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jonny Retro posted:

As for why it's on the xbox, short answer is because they wanted to.

XBLA is sort of dead for months on end so the only real competition for it was Minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

SAM! No Sam!

Your memory will live on.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Le0 posted:

This game looks great, I already spotted it a while ago and only noticed that it got released now, of course I don't have an Xbox so I'm boned...

The OP says that PC release is before the end of 2013, has this been confirmed recently?

Also why the gently caress would a dev like them make such a game on the loving xbox? I can't think of a less suitable game type for consoles honestly...

What about it makes it unsuited to consoles?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

losonti tokash posted:

Buggy as poo poo indie games really belong on the PC?

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
This is one of those games that seems to have a remarkable amount of depth when you first start playing it, but it quickly becomes apparent that the "simulation" side of things is really shallow. Infinitely spawning zombies, minimal activity from other survivor groups, no competition over resources, a very small amount of random events that occur between survivors in your group meaning you'll see the same scenarios time and time again.

The "plot" is terrible, too. You can see the ending coming a mile away, and they introduce all these other characters only to go nowhere with any of them.

It's not a terrible game by any stretch of the imagination, but it feels like it could have done with a bit more time in the dev oven. $20 was about right, price wise.

Edit: The "game world carries on while you're logged out" aspect was half-baked, too. It adds nothing to the experience and will lock people out who can't commit huge amounts of time to video games. I'd have preferred supplies to drain on an "in game day" basis, because then I would have actually felt like I had to scavenge more than I did. Just felt like someone went "wow, this sounds like a cool idea", but didn't really think about how it would work in practice.

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 11, 2013

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

losonti tokash posted:

The game looks like total rear end?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think it's a perfect game for both, really.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Le0 posted:

Also why the gently caress would a dev like them make such a game on the loving xbox? I can't think of a less suitable game type for consoles honestly...
Yeah, that Dead Rising game was totally unplayable without a mouse and keyboard. :downsrim:

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
Is there a Limited amount of Survivors I can rescue?

Also is there any word when the guard tower and infestation bugs will be fixed?

Also the fixing of cars?

Slayer1597 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 11, 2013

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Slayer1597 posted:

Is there a Limited amount of Survivors I can rescue?

Also is there any word when the guard tower and infestation bugs will be fixed?

Also the fixing of cars?

Survivors are randomly generated, I don't think they run out but there might be a limit on how many can join your party.

The patch is in MS certification, could come out in a day or in a few weeks.

Car fixing is fine I think? You get one to four actual parking spots where a car will be fixed (check how many in the upgrade facility menu). If you scout around outside you'll see a parking sign, park there to have that car fixed.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Man am I bad at killing bug uns! Nothing seems to work.

Jacob came down as gravely ill and I got a mission to kill him or make him leave. I kept deferring it and when I turned on the game again, he,s all better, but I still have that mission. Deferring it doesn't work, and telling him to leave or killing him would just eliminate him. I accidentally opted to kill him so I have to do that now. I tried at least to get him to die usefully by tagging along but he won't fight anything. I wanted him alive at least for labor, he's useless otherwise I guess...

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I played the demo for about 2 zombie kills before I bought the whole game, and it is amazing.

Vehicles are supposed to be fixed "overnight" in game, but it is first thing in the morning Real Time. (I think this was unintentional?)

Also yeah I killed Jacob because he was an ANTI-Moral Piece of Garbage (in my opinion), the rule in my camp is band together or I shoot you!

That Infestation thing is the only real problem I am having, I am tired of trying to track these assholes down whenever they run away because there are zombies like 40 miles away in a house! :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Knightmare posted:

The patch is in MS certification, could come out in a day or in a few weeks.
Their official forums said that it should be out this week, so I'm hoping for tomorrow. :ohdear:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

losonti tokash posted:

Pretty much every technical aspect. The team outright said they had a few things they wanted to add that wouldn't of been too difficult but couldn't because of memory restrictions. The one they mentioned was hunting and wildlife. There is also terrible model and texture pop-in, huge framerate drops, and a fairly long load time for this day and age. There is a pretty decent simulation going on in the background of this game, consoles don't seem to be very well suited for simulations. The next gen consoles would handle it a lot better I'm sure.

\/\/ Yeah I don't think it's unreasonable that it's on Xbox first. I also don't think it was really their choice. Their publisher is Microsoft. Someone said the arcade had been dead for a bit so it makes sense.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 11, 2013

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

Shadowlz posted:

Pretty much every technical aspect. The team outright said they had a few things they wanted to add that wouldn't of been too difficult but couldn't because of memory restrictions. The one they mentioned was hunting and wildlife. There is also terrible model and texture pop-in, huge framerate drops, and a fairly long load time for this day and age. There is a pretty decent simulation going on in the background of this game, consoles don't seem to be very well suited for simulations. The next gen consoles would handle it a lot better I'm sure.

I'm guessing they picked Xbox for the almost guaranteed success of the product. It's the end of the console generation and not many good XBLA titles are coming out. First 2 days they sold over 250,000 units @ 25$ a piece grossing them 6 million. They're set to make Minecraft money on XBLA. Also in terms of piracy XBLA is "safer" and well it's published by Microsoft so that's a consideration.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

coyo7e posted:

Their official forums said that it should be out this week, so I'm hoping for tomorrow. :ohdear:

I would have to start over again when they drop this, so I am hoping for a couple of days at least!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Slayer1597 posted:

I would have to start over again when they drop this, so I am hoping for a couple of days at least!
It really doesn't take much time to get a good ways into the game. I've been messing around with the "infinite" resources thing (by leaving one container in nearly every building unopened) in the starting area for the last couple nights, and you can get a kind of amazing amount of resources stockpiled quickly. Food is almost a non-issue, building materials are slightly annoying but each shed and warehouse/factory/construction site/etc tends to have a fuel can which is easy to ignore. Ammo sucks in the beginning area however, with respawning containers, you eventually find random ammo packs in toolboxes and stuff in sheds, often enough.

I really appreciate how the majority of containers and buildings give pretty logical items, you can usually identify what kind of stuff you'll get off a shelf by the building type you're in, combined with the items ON the shelf in view. It makes it really easy to decide on looting priority while creeping around houses, and when you get used to always going into the kitchen first and then leaving the fridge untouched, it's a simple matter to run around the house (you get unlimited sprinting stamina indoors, if you haven't noticed) and decide which containers are the most desirable or needed at the moment.

Also, infinitely respawning containers also means it's a non-decision to break open a box of materials when you want a few snack bags or a coffee. :D

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

coyo7e posted:

It really doesn't take much time to get a good ways into the game. I've been messing around with the "infinite" resources thing (by leaving one container in nearly every building unopened).

For clarification, does this mean you simply don't completely search every building?

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

coyo7e posted:

It really doesn't take much time to get a good ways into the game. I've been messing around with the "infinite" resources thing (by leaving one container in nearly every building unopened) in the starting area for the last couple nights, and you can get a kind of amazing amount of resources stockpiled quickly. Food is almost a non-issue, building materials are slightly annoying but each shed and warehouse/factory/construction site/etc tends to have a fuel can which is easy to ignore. Ammo sucks in the beginning area however, with respawning containers, you eventually find random ammo packs in toolboxes and stuff in sheds, often enough.

I really appreciate how the majority of containers and buildings give pretty logical items, you can usually identify what kind of stuff you'll get off a shelf by the building type you're in, combined with the items ON the shelf in view. It makes it really easy to decide on looting priority while creeping around houses, and when you get used to always going into the kitchen first and then leaving the fridge untouched, it's a simple matter to run around the house (you get unlimited sprinting stamina indoors, if you haven't noticed) and decide which containers are the most desirable or needed at the moment.

Also, infinitely respawning containers also means it's a non-decision to break open a box of materials when you want a few snack bags or a coffee. :D

First off I didn't realize you could even do that!(with the resources).

Secondly I am restarting the game because I played through it with bugs, and want a fuller more "realistic" run through, but as you said, it doesnt take very long to get anywhere in the game, so it wont be a real issue just a fun thing!

Edit: I would just like to say that, out of all the zombie games I have played (and its alot, currently excluding Day Z,I haven't had time to try it yet), this is one of THE BEST GAMES, I have ever played, if I get surrounded by a horde, when hiding in a building.

I LITERALLY HAVE TO PLAN A SNEAKY ESCAPE or a MAD DASH TO THE CAR. I am in fear, every single time I step out of the front gate of my base, because that character might never come home (and take my good loot with them!!)

Sure the performance issues are a little jarring, hopefully they can find a way to clean them up a bit, but even if they don't/can't its not awful, a few seconds of discomfort.

Slayer1597 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 11, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Slayer1597 posted:

I LITERALLY HAVE TO PLAN A SNEAKY ESCAPE or a MAD DASH TO THE CAR. I am in fear, every single time I step out of the front gate of my base, because that character might never come home (and take my good loot with them!!)
I've actually been planning on putting together a "zombie survival guide" post for new players to the game, which addresses issues such as this, which most people end up learning the hard way.

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008
Anyone know if the infinite items thing is getting changed in the patch?

E; posting from a phone is bad.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

coyo7e posted:

I've actually been planning on putting together a "zombie survival guide" post for new players to the game, which addresses issues such as this, which most people end up learning the hard way.

I almost don't think you should, learning the hard way is Zombie Apocalypse 101, isn't it?

GT: Slayer15977 for those that wanna hang out and talk about zombies all night while surviving!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ I really enjoy being in chat parties playing this game. I'll bug ya later and I can tell you about my hit-and-run house-looting technique. ;)

Cerebral Wolf posted:

I believe that's not gonna be touched.
List of changes from the upcoming patch.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Cerebral Wolf posted:

I'm still not convinced it's truly infinite resources, on return trips all the containers are reset to searchable again but I get a lot of "nothing found" in them. Sometimes I'll get ammo or a consumable but I don't think I've seen an actual resource material "respawn" like that. I haven't done a lot of testing with it though.

Bumbleborg
Feb 19, 2013
I have a question about one of the Wilkerson missions. For the mission Neutral Observer, the Wilkersons want you to tag along for some trade they're conducting with random survivors, since the survivors have asked that you're present to make sure everything goes down okay. Lily seemed to think that getting all chummy with the Wilkersons was a bad idea, so instead of taking the survivors to the rendezvous, I told them not to go. The mission ended there, though, and it was really anticlimactic, and so I'm just wondering what would have happened if I'd done the mission as intended.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Bumbleborg posted:

I have a question about one of the Wilkerson missions. For the mission Neutral Observer, the Wilkersons want you to tag along for some trade they're conducting with random survivors, since the survivors have asked that you're present to make sure everything goes down okay. Lily seemed to think that getting all chummy with the Wilkersons was a bad idea, so instead of taking the survivors to the rendezvous, I told them not to go. The mission ended there, though, and it was really anticlimactic, and so I'm just wondering what would have happened if I'd done the mission as intended.

You oversee the trade and then are asked to leave, and when you get out of range, you get a notice that the three survivors are now dead. You can go back and loot their belongings if you wish.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Mister Bates posted:

I would honest-to-God play an entire game solely about running a post-zombie-apocalypse radio station. Recruit DJs, scavenge for records and equipment, set up a schedule of music and shows, put together a news team to get in touch with other survivor groups and keep everyone informed on the state of the world, establish outposts to keep an eye on zombie movements and report on them like the weather, bring in survivors with special skills to give listeners lessons in gardening/mechanics/medicine/fighting/whatever, give a timeslot to someone entertaining to keep up morale... :allears:

Seriously, that is such a good idea for a game. With a detailed infrastructure model it would have a ton of 'game' to it. Like those sim city scenarios where the power grid is already messed up and half the city is on fire. The social side would be a perfect compliment to balance that hard engineering aspect.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Scut posted:

Seriously, that is such a good idea for a game. With a detailed infrastructure model it would have a ton of 'game' to it. Like those sim city scenarios where the power grid is already messed up and half the city is on fire. The social side would be a perfect compliment to balance that hard engineering aspect.

As a dj, I can tell you that we don't use CDs or discs or anywho. It's all digital.

However the engineering side could cause problems. Your reach is limited without transmitters. These go down people don't hear you. So fixing them could be a part of the game.

Other than that its sitting in a chair.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Slayer1597 posted:

I almost don't think you should, learning the hard way is Zombie Apocalypse 101, isn't it?

GT: Slayer15977 for those that wanna hang out and talk about zombies all night while surviving!

I'm down for this. GT is ParallaxScroll.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Started a new game and have a new and interesting issue. After a few ingame days, I haven't heard a word from Lily's brother. Ed is getting sicker but without the mission for Lily's brother, I can't do anything to help him. At this point, I'm considering doing another restart since it just seems he won't call in at all.

Has anyone had experience with a playthrough where Lily's brother doesn't call in for a really long period of time?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Please do. I'm going to be cleaning up the second post into something similar. Maybe we can combine them into one big Zombie Survival Guide for Dummies.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Soulex posted:

As a dj, I can tell you that we don't use CDs or discs or anywho. It's all digital.

However the engineering side could cause problems. Your reach is limited without transmitters. These go down people don't hear you. So fixing them could be a part of the game.

Other than that its sitting in a chair.

You still might have to manage playlists and go searching for lost mp3's/cd's to add to your playlist. You'd also need to get people out to do stuff, like the "eye on traffic" segments, only now they're about zombie traffic and where it might be safe to scavenge. You could also do a variety of shows - music, talk radio, psychiatric help - and recruit a person in the wasteland capable of hosting each. I think it could make a fun game.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
The best piece of advice I can give is don't pick "rage" for your 7th level special skill, the amount of stamina you get back for a successful kill seems less than you likely spent getting that kill so it pretty much has no actual use. The one that makes stamina drain slower in combat does a much better job of helping you last longer against huge groups.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Soulex posted:

Make it take place in the early 80's so that it's all analog media. :smugbert:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Ok, I have to hope that one of my stickies doesn't kill anyone. Am I dumb and missed how to gain new survivors? I'm not doing story missions (mostly because I'm worried it will make the game harder, before I understand everything) but I need specialists, and after the first couple they throw at you I can't figure out how to recruit more. I've found some other enclaves and I can see that I have a trust level with them, is it that I have to get them to 100 or something? How do I do that? I don't want to wait for random. Is ions, I'd prefer to dump off a load of food or something.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

skoolmunkee posted:

Ok, I have to hope that one of my stickies doesn't kill anyone. Am I dumb and missed how to gain new survivors? I'm not doing story missions (mostly because I'm worried it will make the game harder, before I understand everything) but I need specialists, and after the first couple they throw at you I can't figure out how to recruit more. I've found some other enclaves and I can see that I have a trust level with them, is it that I have to get them to 100 or something? How do I do that? I don't want to wait for random. Is ions, I'd prefer to dump off a load of food or something.

The main (and best) way to get new survivors is to use the radio option "offer shelter to survivors", which the game helpfully never tells you about.

A lot of facilities have special actions to preform and the game never mentions this. Go over to the tab in the journal that lets you view your facilities, hit "a" on the radio, and you can call for survivors, or have Lilly look around for specific resource caches.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

skoolmunkee posted:

When you get the random "looking for their friend" or "scavengers found" missions, those are the ones where you go assist someone from another enclave, and then it raises your trust with them. Once the bar fills, they'll start a mission for you to escort them in, after a bit.

Mostly, just don't run them over or hit them with firebombs while fighting zombies. It slows that poo poo down a LOT. ;)

PS: the storage lockers in other peoples' enclave allow you to purchase items for overall Influence, which seems to be unrelated to the Trust of the survivors in that space - you can buy them blind and it seems to do nothing.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Thanks! I want to move my group because I've pretty well done with the first town, but I needed more people.

Another one, it will say a group of survivors has resources like fuel, but that seems to mean nothing? I can't trade it with them...

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

coyo7e posted:

Please do. I still don't understand exactly how resource gain from outposts works. As I understand it (and I'm almost certainly wrong about something) if you want to get a steady trickle of a supply, you have to leave that supply untouched when you're searching the building it's in. My survivors need ammo, so I explore a gun shop, find (but don't pick up) a crate of ammo, and make the gun shop into an outppost. This should mean I get a little ammo added to my stash each day. Or, from what I'm reading on this page, it should mean that I can now pick up that ammo and it will respawn tomorrow. I have no idea because the game tells me nothing and the official wiki isn't filled out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
The disclaimer is now gone from the OP as it is now some percentage more accurate. If anyone notices anything wrong or perhaps misleading, please point it out to me so I can fix it.

• Locked thread