Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How is the GPS wonky?

After switching to CM10.1, it just struggles to find my exact location. It'll start off with a huge shaded circle where I probably am and then eventually get smaller (usually, sometimes it doesn't). Having WiFi on generally helps locate me close enough (I'm usually in urban areas), but it used to work flawlessly when I was on a Sense ROM. On my Evo 4G when I had any kind of GPS issue, I could usually fix it by using the GPS Status app and resetting my A-GPS state/etc, but it doesn't seem to fix things for me now.

Anyway, EdEddnEddy, that sums it up pretty well. I thought getting away from a Sense ROM might help my memory woes (you're right - Chrome + anything else basically spells doom), but I haven't noticed a super-significant improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

iluvpr0n posted:

After switching to CM10.1, it just struggles to find my exact location.
That's Google location foo, not GPS. Can you confirm the GPS even works, via GPS Test?

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
I had problems with CM 10.1 like seemingly longer gps times over stock and flashing verizon prls never worked. Now after flashing this xenonhd rom the other day the prls properly switch and the gps doesn't seem to take as long even on sprint towers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I just got my GS4, does anyone remember the number offhand that actually knows what SERO is so I can activate it? I remember that the regular activation call center has no idea. I'm already on premium/smart phone whatever charges from my Nexus S.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

IRQ posted:

I just got my GS4, does anyone remember the number offhand that actually knows what SERO is so I can activate it? I remember that the regular activation call center has no idea. I'm already on premium/smart phone whatever charges from my Nexus S.

Are neither of the first two in the OP working for you?

888-603-7981 (Employee Care)
866-264-1282 (SERO/EPRP line)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Are neither of the first two in the OP working for you?

888-603-7981 (Employee Care)
866-264-1282 (SERO/EPRP line)

The OP is pretty old and google results in other numbers, namely 1-888-876-8381.

I was hoping someone here had recently done the same upgrade and would know, that's all.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

The OP is pretty old and google results in other numbers, namely 1-888-876-8381.

I was hoping someone here had recently done the same upgrade and would know, that's all.

If you call star 2 from your current phone, confirm your number and then hit 0 3 times it wil redirect you to the correct support.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

IRQ posted:

I just got my GS4, does anyone remember the number offhand that actually knows what SERO is so I can activate it?
866-264-1282 is what I used the last time I had to call in a phone activation, they'll hook you up.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is Telesales still offering the free extended life gnex battery? Mine has now decided that ten hours is too long to last between charges.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

toplitzin posted:

Is Telesales still offering the free extended life gnex battery? Mine has now decided that ten hours is too long to last between charges.

They said it was out of stock when I tried to get it back in January (I think.)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

So, Sprint credited me the ~$300 I had outstanding on my bill, but that was basically after I called both CS and Billing and referenced the date I received my termination letter, what it said verbatim, and said that I still have the letter and would be happy to send them pictures of it.

Do they have that whole "different backends for different departments" problem? I can't imagine there wouldn't have been notes on my account regarding the roaming usage termination.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Network Vision update:

Approximately 2,000 updated sites since our last status update: Indianapolis (84), Minnesota (83), East Michigan (77), Atlanta/Athens (75), New York City (57), SF Bay (57), Memphis (53), New Orleans (51), Oregon/SW Washington (50), Nashville (48), Philadelphia Metro (47), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (46), West Michigan (44), Chicago (41), Kansas (40), Orlando (40), Boston (39), Jacksonville (39), Miami/West Palm (38), Oklahoma (36), Cleveland (34), LA Metro (34), Inland Northwest (33), Austin (32), Pittsburgh (32), Tampa (32), DFW (31), Houston (31), San Antonio (31), Missouri (29), Raleigh/Durham (28), Riverside/San Bernardino (28), East Texas (27), West Washington (26), Phoenix (23), Western Pennsylvania (23), Central Illinois (21), Northern Jersey (21), Central Pennsylvania (20), East Iowa (20), Washington DC (20), San Diego (19), South Carolina (19), Albuquerque (18), North Wisconsin (18), Orange County (18), South West Florida (17), West Texas (17), The Panhandle (16), VT/NH/ME (16), South Texas (15), Alabama (14), Milwaukee (14), Southern Connecticut (13), Baltimore (12), Charlotte (12), Georgia (12), Buffalo (11), Delaware (11), Tucson/Yuma (11), Las Vegas (10), Colorado (9), Louisiana (8), Gulf Coast (7), PR/VI (6), Northern Connecticut (5), Norfolk (5), South Bay (5), Southern Jersey (5), Arkansas (4), Central Jersey (4), Long Island (4), Mississippi (4), Myrtle Beach (4), GA/SC Coast (3), West Iowa/Nebraska (3), Upstate NY Central (2), Providence (2).

Highlights this week: First sites accepted in the Buffalo, Cleveland and West Iowa/Nebraska markets. First LTE sites accepted in the Albuquerque and Gulf Coast markets.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The Entire Universe posted:

For anyone familiar with the Omaha area, Sprint has apparently put up an LTE site near the river.

That is, the Platte River, near the megalopolis of Valley, NE. I can imagine there are a few meteorologists who are very surprised that they are suddenly able to read a forecast on their phone while it's still a forecast.

For everyone else, how fast do they start developing a metro once they have a tower up?

E: it looks like neither the world nor the universe at large are ending, which is a pretty amateur scheduling mistake on Sprint's part.
And another one in West Omaha! Congratulations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
This is a dumb question, but I've never had a phone start loving up so I've never had to do this. GPS on my one is no longer working. Navigation and the GPS status app both just sit on searching for GPS. I've done a factory reset which didn't fix it. So my questions are, since I'm EPRP do I need to go to a corporate store or will any store work? Am I going to get charged anything? This is the second phone I've had issues with, the first one was taken care of by the retailer within 14 days of purchase.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

datajosh posted:

Network Vision update:

Approximately 2,000 updated sites since our last status update: Indianapolis (84), Minnesota (83), East Michigan (77), Atlanta/Athens (75), New York City (57), SF Bay (57), Memphis (53), New Orleans (51), Oregon/SW Washington (50), Nashville (48), Philadelphia Metro (47), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (46), West Michigan (44), Chicago (41), Kansas (40), Orlando (40), Boston (39), Jacksonville (39), Miami/West Palm (38), Oklahoma (36), Cleveland (34), LA Metro (34), Inland Northwest (33), Austin (32), Pittsburgh (32), Tampa (32), DFW (31), Houston (31), San Antonio (31), Missouri (29), Raleigh/Durham (28), Riverside/San Bernardino (28), East Texas (27), West Washington (26), Phoenix (23), Western Pennsylvania (23), Central Illinois (21), Northern Jersey (21), Central Pennsylvania (20), East Iowa (20), Washington DC (20), San Diego (19), South Carolina (19), Albuquerque (18), North Wisconsin (18), Orange County (18), South West Florida (17), West Texas (17), The Panhandle (16), VT/NH/ME (16), South Texas (15), Alabama (14), Milwaukee (14), Southern Connecticut (13), Baltimore (12), Charlotte (12), Georgia (12), Buffalo (11), Delaware (11), Tucson/Yuma (11), Las Vegas (10), Colorado (9), Louisiana (8), Gulf Coast (7), PR/VI (6), Northern Connecticut (5), Norfolk (5), South Bay (5), Southern Jersey (5), Arkansas (4), Central Jersey (4), Long Island (4), Mississippi (4), Myrtle Beach (4), GA/SC Coast (3), West Iowa/Nebraska (3), Upstate NY Central (2), Providence (2).

Highlights this week: First sites accepted in the Buffalo, Cleveland and West Iowa/Nebraska markets. First LTE sites accepted in the Albuquerque and Gulf Coast markets.

I saw Buffalo on there, and I nearly shat myself. :aaaaa:

Does this mean they're actually installing 4G, or just upgrading towers?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

This is a dumb question, but I've never had a phone start loving up so I've never had to do this. GPS on my one is no longer working. Navigation and the GPS status app both just sit on searching for GPS. I've done a factory reset which didn't fix it. So my questions are, since I'm EPRP do I need to go to a corporate store or will any store work? Am I going to get charged anything? This is the second phone I've had issues with, the first one was taken care of by the retailer within 14 days of purchase.

You need to go to a sprint store with a repair center, it doesn't matter in this case whether its corp or not. If you don't have TEP it costs $50 to swap out. The alternative is filing a warranty with the manufacturer, which isn't really the most fun thing in the world.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

KillHour posted:

I'm not a member to get more details, but according to the last two posts here, it's 3g.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

You need to go to a sprint store with a repair center, it doesn't matter in this case whether its corp or not. If you don't have TEP it costs $50 to swap out. The alternative is filing a warranty with the manufacturer, which isn't really the most fun thing in the world.

Guess I'm glad I've got TEP. Thanks.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

fknlo posted:

If it's an android make sure you have "use wireless networks" and "use GPS” checked in the GPS settings

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

KillHour posted:

Just upgrading and installing the NV hardware. The area I just moved from has been doing this for months and still doesn't have a single tower with live 4G yet.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Oh god, I'm at the mall and eligible to upgrade, I'm stuck between the Galaxy S2, LG Optimus G, or the Photon Q, but I'm upgrading from a lovely Samsung Replenish what do I do halp :ohdear:

Edit: Alright after my initial panic I decided to back up and think on it a bit. So I'm due for an upgrade, but I'll have to pay an extra $10 a month to actually get data again. However, in August I'll be working for UNR and be eligible for the 15% discount.

I guess my question is: how quick is the phasing out of older phones? Will the Galaxy S3 be the free upgrade by August? Is it worth upgrading if I get caught behind the generation line? I'd like a new phone, but I can survive a couple months.

If I should upgrade now, is the S2, Optimus G, or Photon Q the best option? The optimus G seems like the best phone, but the lack of expandable memory hurts it. I also like the keyboard of the Photon Q. I dunno what I'm doing, I'm bad at phones :smith:

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 11, 2013

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

You will regret any of those choices. Wait 'til the SGS3 is in your price range, for sure.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

td4guy posted:

You will regret any of those choices. Wait 'til the SGS3 is in your price range, for sure.

That bad, huh? drat, and I thought I had settled on the Optimus too... I mostly just browse SA and play the occassional game on my phone. The S3 is only 50 bucks, which I guess isn't that bad... is it worth it in the long-term? Will I notice that big a jump in quality?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Doomsayer posted:

... is it worth it in the long-term? Will I notice that big a jump in quality?

Yes and yes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

td4guy posted:

And another one in West Omaha! Congratulations.

Maybe at some point they'll light a tower near civil society and not in the boonie-sprawl we've got going on out West.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Doomsayer posted:

That bad, huh? drat, and I thought I had settled on the Optimus too... I mostly just browse SA and play the occassional game on my phone. The S3 is only 50 bucks, which I guess isn't that bad... is it worth it in the long-term? Will I notice that big a jump in quality?

The optimus isn't that bad from what I've seen. I have a few reps who carry it and have no problems after the most recent updates. Its a decent phone for free. I think you'll be happy assuming you have TEP just in case.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Isn't the Optimus the one that randomly has the back crack on it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bobula posted:

The current models have a plastic back. So no.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

WoG posted:

I'm not a member to get more details, but according to the last two posts here, it's 3g.

Even though, it's finally a start. Maybe soon, I'll be able to use my phone at work and not have it drop out data all day long on and off and even load websites! Imagine that!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I decided to splurge a bit and buy myself a little end-of-school-year present with tje S3. I can live on ramen for a couple weeks :v:

Thanks for the help guys!

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I'm going to be traveling in Canada for a week with an iPhone 5. I'm planning on just turning off data but will need to make a few calls and probably texts as well. Given that I have Google Voice integrated, how will the roaming charges work out? The calls will be to American or Canadian numbers.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Robo Kitty posted:

I'm going to be traveling in Canada for a week with an iPhone 5. I'm planning on just turning off data but will need to make a few calls and probably texts as well. Given that I have Google Voice integrated, how will the roaming charges work out? The calls will be to American or Canadian numbers.

Call *2 and ask for the Canada roaming plan. $2.99/month will get you a discounted rate on calls and texts.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

bobula posted:

This is unfortunately just ASKING for some sort of horrible fan art pic of Optimus Prime, depicted from behind, with a curvy rear end sticking out. Over 12 and half years, oh what has SA done to me?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SpelledBackwards posted:

This is unfortunately just ASKING for some sort of horrible fan art pic of Optimus Prime, depicted from behind, with a curvy rear end sticking out. Over 12 and half years, oh what has SA done to me?

I am Optimus Prime. These are the Autobots. We were exiled from our homeworld of Cybertron for out-twerking our street rivals, Megatron and the Decepticons.

Yeah, it could be a Step Up/Transformers crossover. Step Up Prime: Roll Out.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Doomsayer posted:

Playing with my wife's old S2 vs S3: holy crap you will notice a difference.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
SoftBank just raised its bid for Sprint to 21.6billion and 78% stake.. Lets get this poo poo going so the rollout will go even faster

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...reless-carrier/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ninmeister posted:

Even though, it's finally a start. Maybe soon, I'll be able to use my phone at work and not have it drop out data all day long on and off and even load websites! Imagine that!

Blasphemy! The Sprint upgrade here will involve Byron Brown personally delivering your data to you on a 3.5 inch floppy disk while riding an invisible pink unicorn.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KillHour posted:

Blasphemy! The Sprint upgrade here will involve Byron Brown personally delivering your data to you on a 3.5 inch floppy disk while riding an invisible pink unicorn.

Hey, an upgrade's an upgrade.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

uapyro posted:

Playing with my wife's old S2 vs S3: holy crap you will notice a difference.

Yes the S3 is the best smartphone I've yet used.

Reference: HTC One, GS4, GS2, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus One, Motorola Defy, Most Every Lumia except the 920, Several previous HTCs, Iphone 3g, Iphone 3gs.

Reason: The Camera is good enough (Great compared to everything except the One, and GS4), DAC is great, battery life is great (esp. with a second battery/external charger)

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Batte...3+spare+battery

The button is separated from the screen more than the GS4, and much more comfortable. On either Stock with motion disabled, or a custom ROM you almost never have a bit of lag/wait.

I'm not sure what will be compelling enough to keep me from just sticking with GS3.

FYI they are $240 on Swappa.com right now.

I'd use a Nexus 4 or GS4 if one fell out of the sky, but right now on Sprint the GS3 is an amazing deal.

Don't forget you can buy a GS3, then open activate my device and do an ESN swap from your old device to your new one, then sell your old device. I believe this should not impact contracts/plans.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Call *2 and ask for the Canada roaming plan. $2.99/month will get you a discounted rate on calls and texts.
Texts in Canada have always been free for me, although I haven't been there this year.