Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
This is why we should use DNG, which I prefer to pronounce as "dong".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I don't shoot JPEG or raw. I SHOOT

MOTHERFUCKER

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
We're all Big Daddy Kane fans, that's why.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
While we're on this mildly inane topic, how do you say ISO?

I-S-O or 'eye-soh'?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ay-ess-ay

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I've only ever heard people say it I-S-O.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

:golfclap:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Izzo, daddy-o.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I say eye-soh in my mind but out loud I say eye-ess-oh.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
æʃoʊɫ

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

William T. Hornaday posted:

While we're on this mildly inane topic, how do you say ISO?

I-S-O or 'eye-soh'?

I-S-O 400
eye-soh 14001

Prevent confusion and avoids me shooting at an extremely high sensitivity, when I should be shooting in an environmentally-friendly method.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Eye ess oh

strange, but I just realized I say the same thing when referring to disc images as eye-soh...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Seamonster posted:

Eye ess oh

strange, but I just realized I say the same thing when referring to disc images as eye-soh...

They both come from the same root, the initials of the International Organization for Standardization, so yes, that is odd.

What about PNG? I can’t decide if it’s “ping” or “pong”. “Pang” is definitely out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Platystemon posted:

They both come from the same root, the initials of the International Organization for Standardization, so yes, that is odd.

What about PNG? I can’t decide if it’s “ping” or “pong”. “Pang” is definitely out.

Ping

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Pinj

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

bisticles posted:

how a baby picture is formed will dissuade them...
hhow raw get proecessed..?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

casa de mi padre posted:

Because "raw" is a real word unlike jpg or gif which are easily read even when you don't capitalize them.
jah-peege. guh-if, gee-if.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess I just don't understand why people passionate enough about photography, that they'll get a DSLR, refuse to deal with RAW, given that it's a virtual darkroom allowing you to tweak your poo poo in a nearly lossless way. It's one thing if you don't get the whole process, because not everyone's a tech literate Einstein, but simply refusing giving it a try for no drat reason, I don't get.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Come to DC right now and see all the bacterial growth tourists with their rebels and 18-55mms set permanently to auto

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Seamonster posted:

Come to DC right now and see all the bacterial growth tourists with their rebels and 18-55mms set permanently to auto

My lunch break consists of people watching here in Chicago. Its amazing how many people are rolling really nice cameras (50-60D/7D) and their pop up flash goes off when they take a skyline shot.

The Japanese tourists take the cake though with their tripods, 5d3s and L lenses, and someone is usually just walking around with a video camera recording EVERY second of their trip. Numbers would suggest most of this stuff just sits on a hard drive or never gets seen again but SOMEONE out there forces their friends to sit and watch these wandering tourist videos.

I still remember the time I was eating lunch in the park, and this guy asked me to take a photo of him and his family. He handed me a 5d3 and 70-200 2.8. He probably knew I wouldn't be able to run fast enough with that weighing me down. He had it on auto, I hope it was because he assumed I wouldnt know how to use it.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
The Dorkroom: Did you know that hello.NEF is actually a TIFF?!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Strolling tourist areas with my DSLR around my neck gets me lots of those "hey can you take our picture" requests. I guess, even though I have one of the shittiest cameras in Canon's lineup, that carrying around a big camera means I'm trustworthy and/or good at taking pictures?

At any rate, I have a lot more problems with the random P&S deals that people hand over than anything else. It seems like every single camera has a completely different interface method and it takes me a moment to get comfortable enough to take a shot. I guess that's the nice thing about DSLR's.. even though each brand has its own take on the theme, they're all similar enough that you can figure out where the important stuff is in just a few seconds.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Verman posted:

My lunch break consists of people watching here in Chicago. Its amazing how many people are rolling really nice cameras (50-60D/7D) and their pop up flash goes off when they take a skyline shot.
We have these here, too. But they're not that much in numbers. They know their poo poo, tho, because when I'm walking about with my stuff, they're more often than not trying to glean at the text on my camera strap (well, I do that with other people sporting cameras, too, but with less shifty eyes).

Or like that one idiot I met urbex'ing, that suddenly started to talk about his 5D MkII he owns (--edit: supposedly, I didn't think of baiting him to show it), when he saw the original strap of my Canon, which he hauls around in his backpack but apparently doesn't have any lenses for ( :confused: ) and used his 1000D instead.

My space invaders camera strap stopped that poo poo for the most part.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 11, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Go to Europe and see all the tourists with their 70-200L f/2.8 IS lenses at the Arc de Triomphe or St. Peters.

Like, good job having enough money to buy a lens that ensures you're going to be able to capture 1/10th of the Arc at a time because it's so god damned enormous that with my 18-55 I had to take a panorama to get the whole thing in.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

HookShot posted:

Go to Europe and see all the tourists with their 70-200L f/2.8 IS lenses at the Arc de Triomphe or St. Peters.

Like, good job having enough money to buy a lens that ensures you're going to be able to capture 1/10th of the Arc at a time because it's so god damned enormous that with my 18-55 I had to take a panorama to get the whole thing in.

Or they go 2 miles down down the street.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

xzzy posted:

Strolling tourist areas with my DSLR around my neck gets me lots of those "hey can you take our picture" requests. I guess, even though I have one of the shittiest cameras in Canon's lineup, that carrying around a big camera means I'm trustworthy and/or good at taking pictures?

I always look for another DSLR (is that D.S.L.R. or "dizzler"?) user to take my picture. Seem to get slightly better results that way.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I figured someone would appreciate it. :hfive:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I always look for another DSLR (is that D.S.L.R. or "dizzler"?) user to take my picture. Seem to get slightly better results that way.

You mean you don't lug a remote trigger and tripod with you everywhere you go?

Poser. :colbert:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Is please to be pronouncing it GOST, capitalist pig-dog :commissar:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

HookShot posted:

I brought a 400mm 5.6l to the Arc de Triomphe. I used it at the top. I had a 10-22 for outside though.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

xzzy posted:

Strolling tourist areas with my DSLR around my neck gets me lots of those "hey can you take our picture" requests.

Hah! I get this a lot too. They assume I know what I'm doing oooorrr just realize that my camera gear is worth much more than their point and shoot, so there is very little chance I will take it and run away. I don't usually have a problem taking a quick photo of someone but I do often have the urge to tell them, "just because I am here with a ton of gear taking photos of this landscape/building/insect does not guarantee I can take a good portrait". I am horrible at shooting people!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Gambl0r posted:

I am horrible at shooting people!
Wrong gear, I suppose. If you get what I mean.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I am thankful for dizzlers with expensive gear as that drives down the price for us scrubs. I did the shadiest looking deal with some kind of rich dentist in the back of a mercedes in a dingy parking lot but ended up with a barely used L for a fraction of new.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xzzy posted:

You mean you don't lug a remote trigger and tripod with you everywhere you go?

Poser. :colbert:

Never underestimate the effectiveness of preset cameras and remote triggers. It's like a $5 amazon purchase, there's no reason not to have one.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
How would the 85 1.8 perform with a teleconverter on a crop sensor? Thinking down the road I'll want something better than my 55-250 for zoom purposes, but at the same time would like something with faster shutter speeds than something like a Tamron 70-300. Would think the 85 1.8 would make a great lens on it's own, but didn't know if it would not be worth using a teleconverter for the extra reach on a crop body.

Of course there's always the solution of getting the 85 1.8 AND the 70-300.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Given what a good TC costs you're better off getting a decent zoom on top of your 85.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
So are all off-brand DSLR batteries garbage?

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 12, 2013

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
No.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!
We have tons of toursits here in Heidelberg as well. It's the number one destination for asians in Europe because of the castle on the hill. I always like going to my favorite sushi place and just sit at the window watching them enter the shops owned by Asian (I think Chinese) immigrants across the street with their 5D mk III's and L lenses. Oh and the video camera thing is totally on point. They always walk around spinning in circles trying to capture the stores, the church, and the bridge which are all in the same spot of the city. Makes for a good hour and a half of entertainment.

With all that said I am seriously about to pull the trigger on a 40mm pancake with all the rave reviews you guys are giving it. I'm going to Rome in a little over a week and although I absolutely love my 24-70 it would be kinda nice to have something lighter to walk around with. drat you all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

That metal dude posted:

With all that said I am seriously about to pull the trigger on a 40mm pancake with all the rave reviews you guys are giving it. I'm going to Rome in a little over a week and although I absolutely love my 24-70 it would be kinda nice to have something lighter to walk around with. drat you all!
I say this all the time, but on FF you're probably not going to want narrower than 24mm. Especially if you plan on visiting any churches, but yeah, Rome and Paris, to me, are the two cities wide angle lenses were invented for.