Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ssjonizuka posted:

Backseat of a wrx is not optimal for rear facing baby seats. If you are only going to have one, put it in the middle and you can do ok, but if you need to put it on one side of the car, someone is going to suffer (the passenger, since you wouldn't want to drive with your knees crunched against the dash). The dealer may have a dummy cars eat for you to try.

My wife and I are planning 3 kids (first is 9mos.), and APA recommends 2 years rear facing - so that means we will have multiple rear facing, it is surprisingly difficult to find a vehicle to do that comfortably.

In Canada, it's "one year" to switch from rear facing to forward facing. Our youngest is 10months old and sits rear facing behind the passenger. My wife had maybe one/two forward adjustment clicks left on her seat to accommodate those rear facing bastards.

Our boy is coming up on 3 and sits behind me (driver) in the wagon. I could not imagine trying to cram a 2year old in a rear facing. :3:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Sockington posted:

In Canada, it's "one year" to switch from rear facing to forward facing. Our youngest is 10months old and sits rear facing behind the passenger. My wife had maybe one/two forward adjustment clicks left on her seat to accommodate those rear facing bastards.

Our boy is coming up on 3 and sits behind me (driver) in the wagon. I could not imagine trying to cram a 2year old in a rear facing. :3:

They say AT LEAST one year, so there is room to carry that out longer with what works for you. :)

Edit: and what with my wife being a peds NICU RN and working on her Peds NP - she tends to want to follow APA recommendations, so we'll stick closer to 2 years than not.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 11, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ssjonizuka posted:

They say AT LEAST one year, so there is room to carry that out longer with what works for you. :)

Edit: and what with my wife being a peds NICU RN and working on her Peds NP - she tends to want to follow APA recommendations, so we'll stick closer to 2 years than not.

Ours was a case of our sons legs being too long for that position, but hey, it's your first time round so you'll figure it out. ;)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ssjonizuka posted:

Thank god neither of us want to go THAT route. Current top of the list is a v6 Toyota Venza, but we've got about a year (at least) until we start really looking to purchase. We'll see what shakes down when we're actually expecting #2.

Couple things

1) People with three kids don't get to drive sports cars. You will be too broke as the three parasites suck you dry.
2) You will learn to love the minivan with three kids.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

daslog posted:

Couple things

1) People with three kids don't get to drive sports cars. You will be too broke as the three parasites suck you dry.

If those aren't the top two reasons not to have kids I'm not sure what the top two reasons actually are :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ssjonizuka posted:

Thank god neither of us want to go THAT route. Current top of the list is a v6 Toyota Venza, but we've got about a year (at least) until we start really looking to purchase. We'll see what shakes down when we're actually expecting #2.
I'd much rather have a minivan, which is actually useful, than a Toyota Venza, a vehicle with the same marketing as an active seniors community. Seriously it had an ad about not getting this facetube stuff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought the Venza was the station wagon of choice for irresponsible upper middle class drivers who want to have something with 20 inch rims.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So the wife and I have decided to sell our 09 WRX hatch, keep the 04 WRX wagon, and are look to downgrade to probably an 06-07 WRX wagon. Does that alone make us nuts? 02-07 WRX wagons seem to be rare everywhere, but we can wait. Just for fun we test drove a 03 Bugeye WRX wagon and I was grinning way more than I expected. I was seriously tempted, but then all the cars we drive would have milages between 90K and 240K, and we think that could be testing fate a little too much. The 09 just feels like it is missing the fun go kart feel of the earlier versions.

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
Get a mini cooper S if you want to feel like you're in a go kart, hell even the non S is a fun little car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

daslog posted:

Couple things

The best part of being 40+ and no kids? The chances of that happening to me are now basically zero.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Finally got around to doing the drive-shaft on the Forester this weekend, everything was going swimmingly until it came time to put the new transmission mount in and we discovered that Anchor had made it 1/8" too large in every dimension. This was a bit of a shock because the mount looked to be of extremely high quality otherwise, I guess mistakes happen sometimes since I've had nothing but good luck with Anchor til this. Since waiting for a replacement to ship here would take too long I decided to just go to the dealer and buy one there. WRONG. That part was without a doubt the biggest piece of poo poo I've ever seen; One side (just one side) of the rubber was already ten times softer than the old, worn out mount I had just removed and the overall quality was loving abysmal. Took that back, sucked it up and ordered an STI Group N mount. I swear to god if there is a problem with this part too I will light the car on fire. Still need to get the trailing arm bushings ordered as well.

While looking around for mounts that weren't crap online I ran across a really nice one made by Perrin but I'm not sure if that will fit my '99 5MT Forester. I says it will work with '93-11 Imprezas which means it should fit but I wasn't taking a chance after all the other bullshit.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
So I've noticed that my STI engine bay gets absurdly hot after a drive. I can guess as to why, but living in AZ I worry that it's too hot.

As it's new I'm not driving it hard, I've never even redlined or gone WOT on it as of yet. Babysitting it until 1k miles (at about 700 now).

Is the heat anything I should be concerned with? I know a turbo blanket could help, but is there anything else I should consider to cool it down?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Linux Nazi posted:

So I've noticed that my STI engine bay gets absurdly hot after a drive. I can guess as to why, but living in AZ I worry that it's too hot.

As it's new I'm not driving it hard, I've never even redlined or gone WOT on it as of yet. Babysitting it until 1k miles (at about 700 now).

Is the heat anything I should be concerned with? I know a turbo blanket could help, but is there anything else I should consider to cool it down?
It gets hot in there. The intercooler on the top doesn't help.
If your gauges are fine, I wouldn't worry.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
When the car is actually moving engine bay temps are pretty close to ambient. When you stop or are going really slow temps tend to creep up a bit. About the worst that will happen on a mostly stock car in every day use is that the car will pull timing due to high intake temps and a hot intercooler until things cool down.

If you're making a good amount more power than stock you're also making a good amount more heat. If you've done that and are driving the car hard in a hot climate some cooling upgrades might be a good idea. On track it's pretty much necessary. Start with a new radiator, then think about a better intercooler (and bigger does not always mean better) and oil cooler. At some point a front mount IC becomes a good idea, but then your hoodscoop starts doing more harm than good. So then you need to block it off and possibly add some vents.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I need a better oil cooler. Whatever subaru put in the legacy is drat near useless.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I really dislike the stock oil-water coolers. Pretty high pressure drop and not a very efficient cooler. Getting rid of it and going to a nice air-oil cooler is a good idea if you're seeing high oil temps.

You kind of have to build your own kit though. There are some on the market but you end up spending quite a bit more to go that way. I was going to have a better subaru specific sandwich adapter made that would drop the outlets down a little to get them past the timing covers for a place I used to work at but never got around to it. It does work well enough to stack a standard one below an adapter for sensors, but that provides more opportunities for a leak. From there it's not all that hard to come up with a bracket and make a couple lines.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 12, 2013

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
I've never had a car with "hill start assist". It was always part of driving a manual transmission car, you learn to have quick and smooth feet. I hadn't noticed it until the other day when I took my foot off the brake with the clutch in and it didn't roll back. I was intending for it to roll back in my driveway about a foot to make room, but it just sat there for a few seconds and then released. It made a clunking noise when it did so. I then started to notice it more when driving and it always makes a clunking noise. Is this normal? What is actually holding the car? Is it just the brakes, something in the transmission? Can I disable it?!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Aflicted posted:

I've never had a car with "hill start assist". It was always part of driving a manual transmission car, you learn to have quick and smooth feet. I hadn't noticed it until the other day when I took my foot off the brake with the clutch in and it didn't roll back. I was intending for it to roll back in my driveway about a foot to make room, but it just sat there for a few seconds and then released. It made a clunking noise when it did so. I then started to notice it more when driving and it always makes a clunking noise. Is this normal? What is actually holding the car? Is it just the brakes, something in the transmission? Can I disable it?!

I stalled out a bunch of times using the hill start assist, and I still don't do it right. When the clutch and brakes are in, and you're on a hill, it engages. It's the brakes that hold it. I think it's about 3 seconds. There is a way to disable it.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I stalled out a bunch of times using the hill start assist, and I still don't do it right. When the clutch and brakes are in, and you're on a hill, it engages. It's the brakes that hold it. I think it's about 3 seconds. There is a way to disable it.

Hmm, and it leaves a light on my dash... awesome. :mad:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You get more or less used to it eventually, but it has caused me to stall the car on more than one occasion.

I find it odd that you can only disable it on the STI, but not the regular WRX.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

You get more or less used to it eventually, but it has caused me to stall the car on more than one occasion.

I find it odd that you can only disable it on the STI, but not the regular WRX.

Really? It can be done on the base 2012+ Impreza. Maybe the WRX will have it in the new models?

Anyway, that kind of stuff is in the owners manuals http://www.subaru.com/owners/resource-center/owners-manuals/index.html

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
You can disable it on the STI and I'm told on all 2012+ Impreza models, unfortunately I have a 2011 :negative:

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
Yeah, I just didn't think to look about the disabling it. It was more of an afterthought as I was asking about the clunking noise the car makes when it disengages.

On another note, the hood protector for my wife's Outback came in yesterday and now that I see how it mounts I am skeptical about how much damage it will do to the paint it is intended to protect. Has anyone else had experience with this? I skimmed a few threads on the Outback forums, but it really was a disaster of multiple opinions and few people chiming in with actual experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

blargle posted:

models, unfortunately I have a 2011 :negative:

Yes, I have a 2011 as well.

I learned how to drive stick in southwestern PA. I don't need any help starting on hills.

kaws!
May 25, 2008
May have a running RS one of these days. Most of the good bits are going into the Herritage, then I'm stripping and selling the RS shell and some nice bits like some serious bilstien coilovers, brembos, r180 rear, sti rims, big fuel system, eboost2 etc.

Would be nice to have something with a little bit of poke again, the SVX is slow as hell.

kaws! fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 13, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why don't you just put all that stuff into the SVX?

Put the H6 into the Liberty shell, I love that bodystyle. Knocking 500ish lb off the curb weight of the SVX will make it peppy again.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

blargle posted:

You can disable it on the STI and I'm told on all 2012+ Impreza models, unfortunately I have a 2011 :negative:

I was told by a dealership that they can program in whatever amount of hill start assist you want. Although inconclusive, our 2011 STi is much less intrusive than our 2010 OBS. They were purchased from different dealerships. Also that dealer could have been full of poo poo, same guys who told me the BRZ would be a V12. Lolz.

Speaking of the BRZ, what do you guys think about it? I know I could go read the BRZ thread but I'm interested in the perspectives of the Subaru crowd. I haven't driven one but boy are they good looking IMO.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Speaking of the BRZ, what do you guys think about it? I know I could go read the BRZ thread but I'm interested in the perspectives of the Subaru crowd. I haven't driven one but boy are they good looking IMO.

I've driven one on the track. Great car, lots of fun, needs a turbo. If they do come out with a Turbo version, I will probably buy one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, if they ever come out with a BRZ that has > 250hp, my 2002 WRX is getting traded in on one as soon as I can toss money at a dealership.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I just got rid of the FRS after 11 months of owning it. (Same car, both are the Toyota 86 platform, Subaru builds all of them). Great car, terrible quality control issues.

I "upgraded" to an STI and they are wildly different cars. It's hard to say which I prefer, I've still got less than 1k miles on the STI. The FA20 is a very cool concept and seems very accessible in terms of modding.

Absolutely drive one if you get the chance. Maybe in a year or 2 they will have all of build quality issues sorted out.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, if they ever come out with a BRZ that has > 250hp, my 2002 WRX is getting traded in on one as soon as I can toss money at a dealership.

If they ever came out with an AWD version is what might sell me.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Soarer posted:

If they ever came out with an AWD version is what might sell me.

Misses the point of the core design. It's purpose built to be a lightweight RWD tuner's car. Hence it's namesake.

OEM/stock FI might be possible. But again, it's got a very accessible engine, an easily-accessed forward-facing TB, lots of room for multiple FMICs, plenty of space to add a header with a turbo attached. Everything about the platform screams DIY. Hell, even adding a sandwhich plate for an oil intercooler can be done with almost no effort, it sits right on top of the engine.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Drove a BRZ NA and just recently one with a supercharger kit. Stock it's...... loving great when you are up it around the twisties but didnt want to own one day to day. I went and got a Commodore for a DD because it simply brings a stupid grin every time I open up it's V8, I honestly couldnt do that when tooling around in the BRZ.

Now supercharged...... had another 40ish KW, much more torque and it became a whole new beast. Now THAT's a car I could live with. It also had better rubber and some good MCA suspension which also jacked up it's prowess around corners remarkably well, drat near what I would call the perfect car - enough power to keep you entertained everywhere and some serious cornering ability

I'd always thought the BRZ would be a somethign special with a supercharger, after drivign one I'd say everyone with a BRZ needs to do it. Wow!

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

jamal posted:

At some point a front mount IC becomes a good idea, but then your hoodscoop starts doing more harm than good. So then you need to block it off and possibly add some vents.

What are the disadvantages of having a hoodscoop without and intercooler below it? Random dirt and poo poo flying into your engine bay?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

ROFLburger posted:

What are the disadvantages of having a hoodscoop without and intercooler below it? Random dirt and poo poo flying into your engine bay?

The inrush of air from the scoop creates a high pressure zone inside the engine bay, which reduces the efficiency of the radiator and fmic by reducing the pressure delta between the air being rammed through the front of the car, and the engine bay.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It also sucks massively for aerodynamics.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I haven't driven one, just sat in one at the dealer. I'm not enamored by the looks, but seems like it would be a fun toy or a dd for someone without kids. Needs more power imo, but I suppose that if you kept the revs up, twisties would be pretty fun.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Brigdh posted:

The inrush of air from the scoop creates a high pressure zone inside the engine bay, which reduces the efficiency of the radiator and fmic by reducing the pressure delta between the air being rammed through the front of the car, and the engine bay.

Remember that scoop is also there to flow cool air past the turbo. Blocking it off for what seems like good reasons may wind up giving you a big hot problem instead.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Cat Terrist posted:

Remember that scoop is also there to flow cool air past the turbo. Blocking it off for what seems like good reasons may wind up giving you a big hot problem instead.

True. Everything is a balance, there is no free lunch :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The benefit from ditching the scoop and properly guiding airflow far far outweighs any possible downside from not sort of blowing air across the turbo, which is watercooled anyway.