Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

jammyozzy posted:

A stationary 20 year old vehicle gets ploughed by a truck going 65mph and they're not singing its praises that some passengers survived? :confused:

For once I think Chrysler are absolutely right, if it passed all of the safety standards in place at the time then they're not required to do any more. If there's a flaw in the safety regulations then every vehicle built to them should be recalled at the same time, singling out one or two models retroactively sets a horrible precedent.

I agree with this as well. It does make you wonder how much fun it must be for your main competition to be mostly government owned when dealing with regulatory bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ozmiander posted:

Who actually does that? I've never seen anyone do anything other than tighten them with a tire iron in a cross pattern.

The RX-7, if I recall correctly, is a special case because it has lug bolts rather than lug nuts, and I think they're made of aluminum* so if one of them it torqued incorrectly, everything will work itself loose*.

*Or so I am lead to believe

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This was definitely lug nuts but maybe other RX-7s are different.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Safety Dance posted:

The RX-7, if I recall correctly, is a special case because it has lug bolts rather than lug nuts, and I think they're made of aluminum* so if one of them it torqued incorrectly, everything will work itself loose*.

My old FC had lug nuts, not sure where you heard that.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Safety Dance posted:

Most first gen RX-7s had lug bolts, but as far as I know there were not aluminum. I've also never heard of any special torquing procedure or issues, other than sometimes putting the wheels on were a PITA. Most first gen owners seem to convert to lug nuts, which is fairly easy.

The first gen GSL-SE, second gens, and 3rd gens are lug nuts.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
After having aftermarket studs (BMW) come loose I am loving obsessive about torquing my lugnuts and checking the studs to make sure they are still tight. Had I not noticed one stud was sticking out more than the others I would have been doing a full track day with it only on a few threads.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've been putting my lugs on to two-grunts torque with a 4-way for years now and had zero problems, alloy or steel. :shrug:

The one time I had an issue it's because I got mud in between the axle flange and the brake drum surface, so it torqued down properly but then the mud worked its way out in about 50 miles. I felt the difference driving before any lugs actually fell off or worked themselves more than a couple turns loose, so all I did was pull over and retighten.

Torque if you want to, but cleaning the flanges (especially when putting alloy wheels on a steel wheel flange or cast iron brake rotor/drum) of all corrosion is more important IMO. On thinner, easier to warp wheels, torquing is probably an issue, but I don't have that problem...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Torque if you want to, but cleaning the flanges (especially when putting alloy wheels on a steel wheel flange or cast iron brake rotor/drum) of all corrosion is more important IMO. On thinner, easier to warp wheels, torquing is probably an issue, but I don't have that problem...

On your big truck, the wheels are so massive they probably stay on due to sheer gravitational attraction.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Whoever gets to work on this thing is gonna be having a crappy day. :v:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Speaking of lovely luck with septic service:

Click for story.

Story and a few more pics here.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 11, 2013

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
That looks like that would be a pretty lovely day at work.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
So were any of those salvageable or were they all taken to the dump?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
All right, enough of that poo poo. One of these lower control arm bushings is not like the other:

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Root Bear posted:

All right, enough of that poo poo. One of these lower control arm bushings is not like the other:

I don't see the problem here. Everything looks fine to m............. HOLY poo poo!

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Astroman posted:

Ha, yep! Happens to me every time I drive most any other car, since all mine have been on the tree for a few years now.

In mechanical failure news: HOLY poo poo
http://news.yahoo.com/mechanical-failure-likely-caused-fatal-california-limo-fire-151639652.html

Remember that limo with a bridal party that caught fire?

They think it was because of:

As someone who drives a car with air shocks, and just replace really lovely broken ruptured ones, :stare:

How could this happen?

Air shocks, and air springs are 2 very different things. An air shock is an assist, where as an air spring is a full spring replacement. I still don't buy that this was the cause of the accident, and the explanation is for poo poo in that article. I have seen many of those Lincolns with the air springs blown, and the car does not rest on the ground, it just gets really low. I'd love to hear an actual list of the events that led to this caused by a blown air spring.

I had a customer tell me the other day that my car was unsafe ('64 Impala on bags), and reference this accident (I had not heard of the incident till he mentioned it). But this is the same customer that wanted us to install SMALLER valves in his Corrado VR6 to increase his HP... Plus he started crying once (He's in his about mid 30's) while talking about his car in our office, So I don't take him too seriously.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So today I decided to take my plugs out after work to see if they were worn out and causing a slight low rpm hesitation. Three came out perfectly. The last one came out like this:

Guess where the other end is.

gently caress.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If you hadn't said "3 out of 4" I would say it's a Ford 4.6 or 5.4.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

If you hadn't said "3 out of 4" I would say it's a Ford 4.6 or 5.4.

It's a kawasaki ZRX1200. I have no idea how I'm going to get the other end out.

Pleease....kill meeeeee

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think we saw that once on an XS750. If I recall, we tapped out what was left of the old B plug and installed a D plug inside it. Worked like a charm.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

So today I decided to take my plugs out after work to see if they were worn out and causing a slight low rpm hesitation. Three came out perfectly. The last one came out like this:

Guess where the other end is.

gently caress.

I've seen that with quite a few NGKs lately. Can't you get what's left of it out with an easy-out and an 1/4" extension?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Pull the cylinder head and take it to a machine shop? I mean poo poo, that thing is small, shouldn't take more than an hour or two to pull. And a head gasket should be pretty cheap I would think.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Heh... funny story. I did that to a plug while running a test, except it was in a jig and not a cylinder head, and it broke at the crimp bulge and not at the seat (a result of me using the wrong end of the jig). It was stuck nice and tight.

Had to put the bit of the metal shell that was poking out in a vice and use a breaker bar on the jig to get it out.

Basically, what I mean to say is, someone probably torqued it too much when installing it and you should beat him over the head about it. Unless it's you :(

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
More like horrible mechanic failure:

(annotation not mine)

"Why won't the clutch disengage?"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

Pull the cylinder head and take it to a machine shop? I mean poo poo, that thing is small, shouldn't take more than an hour or two to pull. And a head gasket should be pretty cheap I would think.

The engine has to come out of the bike to get the head off. I'm gonna try an ez-out first.

totalnewbie posted:

Heh... funny story. I did that to a plug while running a test, except it was in a jig and not a cylinder head, and it broke at the crimp bulge and not at the seat (a result of me using the wrong end of the jig). It was stuck nice and tight.

Had to put the bit of the metal shell that was poking out in a vice and use a breaker bar on the jig to get it out.

Basically, what I mean to say is, someone probably torqued it too much when installing it and you should beat him over the head about it. Unless it's you :(

It wasn't me, I do this poo poo for a living. I'm not a monster!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I had the same thing happen to me on an ancient small block Chevy, EZout did the trick.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

UraniumAnchor posted:

(annotation not mine)

It's the hot new thing to do.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

UraniumAnchor posted:

(annotation not mine)

Not gonna lie, I almost did that in my M3 this winter. I literally woke up in the middle of the night and thought "did I put the loving clutch in the right way?". At least I had only put the transmission back on, not the whole driveshaft/exhaust/etc. And I did put it in wrong.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

It's the hot new thing to do.

I still can't believe the idiot PO of your jeep did that.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Now you bastards are making me nervous. I installed the clutch in February so I'll be damned if I remember any of it. Maybe I should ask someone to push me around...

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
VW mechanic?

VW keeps the flywheel on the transmission side.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
According to the post I pulled the picture from, it was a "friend" of the owner of the car.

Given that the person who posted it just started their own local garage I suspect I'll have a few more lovely stories in the next few months.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Root Bear posted:

Speaking of lovely luck with septic service:

Click for story.

Ha. My first though was 'that looks a hell of a lot like the 138/15' and welp.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

0toShifty posted:

VW mechanic?

VW keeps the flywheel on the transmission side.

They changed this later, it was mostly an 80's model and earlier thing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crustashio posted:

After having aftermarket studs (BMW) come loose I am loving obsessive about torquing my lugnuts and checking the studs to make sure they are still tight. Had I not noticed one stud was sticking out more than the others I would have been doing a full track day with it only on a few threads.

Did you locktite them when you installed them?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

From a Freightliner. I blame nutcup. :colbert:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Billy Tully posted:

I had the same thing happen to me on an ancient small block Chevy, EZout did the trick.

All EZout success pictures should be just like this.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Torque your lugs.

Hey, this guy is running the same wheel/tire combo I am :downs:

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

1st Edition ADandD posted:

Hey, this guy is running the same wheel/tire combo I am :downs:

I've always liked the look of Akebono steelies, personally. Nice choice!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Brigdh posted:

Most first gen RX-7s had lug bolts, but as far as I know there were not aluminum. I've also never heard of any special torquing procedure or issues, other than sometimes putting the wheels on were a PITA. Most first gen owners seem to convert to lug nuts, which is fairly easy.

The first gen GSL-SE, second gens, and 3rd gens are lug nuts.

The little guide pin that comes in the tool kit on my BMW is one of my favorite things. I was sitting there trying to jockey the wheel into place and I swear you could see the light bulb go off above my head when I realized HEY! THAT'S what that little thingy is for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BraveUlysses posted:

Did you locktite them when you installed them?

Yes. I used red (271) that came with the lugs and cleaned the hubs. When I found them loose I cleaned them again, chased the threads and used permatex red. I have a feeling that I was being too skimpy 1st time around because of the tiny amount of loctite turner gave me. I just do a quick once over on the studs before I mount wheels now. As long as none fail the hand loosening test I put the wheels on.