Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The program asks you to take gravity readings a couple of times (both pre-boil and post-boil). The "conversion efficiency" is taken right after you've drained all the sparge water but before you've started the boil.

I was under the impression that it was just a measure of the amount of sugar you got into the pot/total amount of sugar in all the grains you mashed, which would imply it could never be higher than 100%.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, I had to add about a half gallon of water to that beer to hit my OG. How much will that dilute my IBU/hops level? It is a cream ale so bitterness/hops aren't that important, but did I turn it into Bud Light? Should I throw in some dry hops or something to compensate, or just not worry about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 31, 2019

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

bewbies posted:

I was under the impression that it was just a measure of the amount of sugar you got into the pot/total amount of sugar in all the grains you mashed, which would imply it could never be higher than 100%.

That's what it sounds like it should be to me, too, but the evidence seems to indicate otherwise. If that's what it was, you'd never even see anything close to 100% in a homebrew setting, as the theoretical PPG values you see for grain are based on a lab mash which is designed to get EVERYTHING out, even at the expense of good flavor, etc.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jo3sh posted:

That's what it sounds like it should be to me, too, but the evidence seems to indicate otherwise. If that's what it was, you'd never even see anything close to 100% in a homebrew setting, as the theoretical PPG values you see for grain are based on a lab mash which is designed to get EVERYTHING out, even at the expense of good flavor, etc.

Yeah, they need to do some wild stuff to get the sugar off the grain and into solution.

Since it is taken at the time you take mash efficiency, if 90 - 100% is a normal reading for conversion efficiency then it must be assuming percent achieved of mash efficiency assumed. Which means >100% is possible and potentially probable as I've known plenty of people to get wicked awesome mash efficiencies.

E. Which just seems like a really backwards measure but then I usually don't even take it all the way to efficiency and just calculate PPG unless I get bored during a boil.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 11, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
http://www.brewhardware.com/refractometer

Does anyone have this refractometer? $38 is the cheapest I've found for one and as far as I can tell, its the same one they have everywhere. Seriously, gently caress taking mid-boil/mash gravity readings with a hydrometer.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

http://www.brewhardware.com/refractometer

Does anyone have this refractometer? $38 is the cheapest I've found for one and as far as I can tell, its the same one they have everywhere. Seriously, gently caress taking mid-boil/mash gravity readings with a hydrometer.

Why spend $38?

http://www.amazon.com/Beer-Wort-Wine-Refractometer-Scale/dp/B006GG0TDK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1370970951&sr=8-3&keywords=refractometerb

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I never even thought to look on Amazon.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

drat that's a good deal. Tempted to buy one just for the dual scale even though I already have a Brix-only refractometer. Although it seems to have a lot of negative reviews claiming poor accuracy and even that some people have received a Brix-only model not the dual-scale that's advertised.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I JUST bought it,and it came the other day.

I can confirm it comes in a hard case,has dual scale, and read my tao water @ 1.000

I got the one via prime

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Anyone have experience with chai?

Seeing the stiff people rave about in SA mart has me thinking of brewing up a milk stout ,and adding it in

Friends brew with it,but I find their efforts lacking body and taste, being mostly smell. A milk stout with added lactose seems the perfect base

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Which strand of yeast is the crazy one that likes those super high 90F temperatures?

3711 is the insane one, 3724 pretty much has to be fermented 80f+

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jacobey000 posted:

3711 is the insane one, 3724 pretty much has to be fermented 80f+

What's the difference in terms of flavor profile?

Also there was a post about some kind of beverage pouch on reddit that I thought was pretty interesting, although at $10 per it's a bit expensive:

http://beerpouch.com/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

That is a highly-professional footer at the bottom of that page.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Just found this thread after wondering on a whim if SA had a brewing thread.

Question maybe I can get some opinions on. I have a yeast starter going on now for this kit:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/big-honkin-stout-extract-kit.html

Should I do a double starter or will the one be enough? (1/2 cup DME in 1 pint water for about 24 hours on a stir plate).

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

strikehold posted:

Just found this thread after wondering on a whim if SA had a brewing thread.

Question maybe I can get some opinions on. I have a yeast starter going on now for this kit:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/big-honkin-stout-extract-kit.html

Should I do a double starter or will the one be enough? (1/2 cup DME in 1 pint water for about 24 hours on a stir plate).

A single packet of US-05 is pretty close to the needed cell count anyway, unless you used some other yeast. But at 1.068, you're fine with the single starter regardless, especially when using a stir plate.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

I used the smack pack liquid yeast. 100bill count.

E: While I'm asking, I want to add chocolate to this stout. I'm thinking about 6oz of dark choc powder at flame out + 4oz of roasted cocao nibs (I have raw organic but those aren't good for this I've heard) and then 2oz or to taste for organic choc extract right into the keg.

Just experimenting. Good idea/awful idea?

Bloodborne fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 11, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I wouldn't bother doing a second one.

In the future you can use a tool like Mr Malty's Calculator to get a more precise size for your yeast starter. It factors in your OG, whether it's a lager or ale, and the age of the yeast* The rule of thumb is a 10:1 liquid to DME ratio. For example, if the site calls for a 1000mL starter, you would start with 100 grams of DME and then add enough water to reach 1000mL total volume.

* Mr Malty is really pessimistic about how well yeast was handled. If it's more than like 3 weeks old he starts calling for really big starters, which is probably a little overboard unless your shop sucks and stores yeast unrefrigerated.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 11, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyone got a wyeast/white labs conversion table they trust?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Anyone got a wyeast/white labs conversion table they trust?

The one on Mr. Malty is the only one I'm aware of that exists. http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

Kristen England put the list together and he claimed to be reasonably certain of the conversion/origin of each yeast. (e.g. that WY XXXX = WL YYYY).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There's also our own rage-saq's YeastBot database, which owns.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Angry Grimace posted:

The one on Mr. Malty is the only one I'm aware of that exists. http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

Kristen England put the list together and he claimed to be reasonably certain of the conversion/origin of each yeast. (e.g. that WY XXXX = WL YYYY).

Right on, thanks!

Docjowles posted:

There's also our own rage-saq's YeastBot database, which owns.

:stare:

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I use that one, too, and I've found it to be pretty good. I have one recipe that absolutely relies on WY Thames Valley, but just recently I could only get WL Burton Ale - if it's not the same yeast, it's pretending really, really well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jo3sh posted:

if it's not the same yeast, it's pretending really, really well.

You know, I'm sure they do DNA comparisons against each other's strains regularly for IP reasons, but I'd be curious how often incidental similarities occur.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

I'd love a proven hoppy wheat beer recipe. I've got a pound of cascade burning a hole in my freezer because ITS USELESS TO RESIST THE HOPSHACK'S DEALS.

But also I'm scared to get hoppy with a wheat.

Only a month and I had to go back 26 pages to dredge this up, but my hoppy wheat has finally reached good carbonation and is now drinking pretty well:

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/american-iwa

I think I would choose a cleaner yeast, as this one has a clove thing going on that I'm not sure I am 100% sold on. It's pretty decent though.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Jo3sh posted:

Only a month and I had to go back 26 pages to dredge this up, but my hoppy wheat has finally reached good carbonation and is now drinking pretty well:

I think I would choose a cleaner yeast, as this one has a clove thing going on that I'm not sure I am 100% sold on. It's pretty decent though.

That's some serious hopage. I've Got a pound of centennial in the freezer and more white wheat than you can shake a stick at so ...

That's going to happen this weekend (but with 2-row)

Went to a local beer event where I shook hands and kissed babies and got lovely. Love talking about homebrewing and picking the pros brains.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Jo3sh posted:

That's pretty much the same route I took with my last hoppy wheat as well: Half wheat and half 2-row, low/med mash temp, lots of American hops. I did mine a bit lower gravity and IBU (1.050OG, 35IBU), but it still ended up really refreshing and citrusy. I'd stick with a more neutral yeast like US-05/WLP001 myself, since the clove/banana flavors of a weizen yeast tend to interfere or clash with hop flavors.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Lil' Sumpin Sumpin is the gold standard for this sort of ale, and they use all the "C" hops in addition to a 50% wheat bill. And it is delicious so do it!

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 31, 2019

WarrenH
Feb 19, 2010

derelict
If anyone's interested, I'm selling two tickets to this year's NHC in Philadelphia at SA Mart http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554328. Furloughed so can't justify a four day boondoggle right now. Hopefully next year!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

immortalyawn posted:

So, something I mentioned in an earlier post, I would like a bit more info on.

Cooling the wort before pitching seems to be a major thing, and I have read there are a few ways of doing it in this thread.

The thing I mentioned : Boiling 15L (~4gal) with my malt+hops, transfering it into the fermenter and then topping up with 10L (~2.5gal) of cool water to help reach approx pitching temp (possibly having it in a water/ice bath as well depending) before adding yeast. (using a 25 or 30Lt fermenter)

Is this do-able?

1) Is diluting the wort this way detrimental to the whole process?

If not...then...

2) I know time and aeration are the enemy at the point before pitching, but if you used a sterilized autosiphon in my above idea and filled from the bottom of the fermenter filled with wort, wouldnt this limit aeration enough before pitching? (inserting and removing a copper cooling coil would do far worse wouldnt it?)

This idea is all purely based on me not having enough space on a stove top or big enough pots to create big wort with. (upgrading equipment is not an answer)

This might all be basic stuff to most here but, I ask here because most results I get on a Google search are at Home Brew Talk, and I have read some stuff on there I already know is very questionable.

Topping up with cold water is totally acceptable and what a lot of people do when they can't do full boils. My first 10 batches were done that way and they all turned out fine. But you've got the oxygen backwards. You don't want to introduce any AFTER fermentation has started. Before you pitch the yeast you want to get as much in there as possible, so splash and shake the hell out of everything!

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

1. Many people who can't do full boils do this, totally fine!

2. Oxygen is the enemy after you've begun fermentation. You should oxygenate your wort before you pitch your yeast to provide a good environment for them to get to work. You can actually buy little O2 tanks and a system to inject it right into your wort before pitching:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/oxygenation-kit.html

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
what was the consensus from a few pages back? Add o2 like a champ, or a small sliver of olive oil on a toothpick ?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Roundboy posted:

what was the consensus from a few pages back? Add o2 like a champ, or a small sliver of olive oil on a toothpick ?

Either way will get you about the same results at the homebrew scale.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Olive oil on a toothpick? I've never heard of that. I thought fat was a bad thing.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

strikehold posted:

Olive oil on a toothpick? I've never heard of that. I thought fat was a bad thing.

The way it works, you're supposed to add such an incredibly small amount that it shouldn't effect head retention or flavor at all. When they tested it at New Belgium they added 300 mL to like 1,200 gallons of yeast before pitching.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

strikehold posted:

Microliters of olive oil provide enough fatty acids in 5 gallons to help yeast bypass steps of oxygen respiration metabolism. I don't think anyone actually does it on a regular basis because its hard to control how much oil you get on your toothpick and its more of a curiosity.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

immortalyawn posted:

So, something I mentioned in an earlier post, I would like a bit more info on.

Cooling the wort before pitching seems to be a major thing, and I have read there are a few ways of doing it in this thread.

The thing I mentioned : Boiling 15L (~4gal) with my malt+hops, transfering it into the fermenter and then topping up with 10L (~2.5gal) of cool water to help reach approx pitching temp (possibly having it in a water/ice bath as well depending) before adding yeast. (using a 25 or 30Lt fermenter)

Is this do-able?

1) Is diluting the wort this way detrimental to the whole process?

If not...then...

2) I know time and aeration are the enemy at the point before pitching, but if you used a sterilized autosiphon in my above idea and filled from the bottom of the fermenter filled with wort, wouldnt this limit aeration enough before pitching? (inserting and removing a copper cooling coil would do far worse wouldnt it?)

This idea is all purely based on me not having enough space on a stove top or big enough pots to create big wort with. (upgrading equipment is not an answer)

This might all be basic stuff to most here but, I ask here because most results I get on a Google search are at Home Brew Talk, and I have read some stuff on there I already know is very questionable.

To add to what's already been said, just remember how much heat you have to get rid of - 4 gallons of wort just off boil plus 2.5 gallons of ice water is still going to be around 150F or 65C which is still too hot for plastic or glass fermenters. With a partial boil (search using that terminology if you want to do more reading) you want to get the wort in the kettle cooler first before you add the chilled water. Most people do it by putting the kettle in a cold water or ice bath and stirring with a sanitized spoon. When I do this with 2.5 gallons of wort in a 3 gallon kettle I can get to pitching temp in 15 minutes easy.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

immortalyawn posted:

This is my life. Boston Apartment barely has room for a few one gallon carboys and 1 five gallon bucket. and pantry space for a big pot is way out of the question. My last brew, I did this past Sunday was a partial boil done in two spaghetti pots. We'll see how it comes out.

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

WarrenH posted:

If anyone's interested, I'm selling two tickets to this year's NHC in Philadelphia at SA Mart http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554328. Furloughed so can't justify a four day boondoggle right now. Hopefully next year!

Dibbs! Hit me up when you get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
3oz of medium toast american oak cubes, 3 whole vanilla beans, and a wyeast cider yeast for future use bought. All I need to do is pick up a burbon on the way home and soak everything until the weekend, and lots of tasting to hope i dont overdo it