Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Mostly because Smackdown is on on a terrible night for wrestling with most people having plans that don't involve the tv, and nothing that happens on Smackdown ever seems to matter anymore. Theres rarely a big angle or development on there, and when something significant happens it just happens again on RAW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

Mostly because Smackdown is on on a terrible night for wrestling with most people having plans that don't involve the tv, and nothing that happens on Smackdown ever seems to matter anymore. Theres rarely a big angle or development on there, and when something significant happens it just happens again on RAW.

It's this, and even more recently Smackdown is becoming the Raw "practice" show. Just two weeks ago they did an angle on Smackdown, and then repeated it word for word, spot for spot on the following week's Raw. And yeah Friday night is a loving awful night for any TV show.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

maxallen posted:

I've just started watching again after 13 years - why does nobody watch Smackdown? For whatever reason when I was a teenager it was pretty much the only show I watched, but there seems to be a serious grudge against it on here. Hell, the RAW thread goes nearly 50 pages and the SD thread only got 6, and there's no one on #wh2k during it either.

This all surprises me because it seems week in and week out that Smackdown puts on a better show than RAW.

Its on Friday nights. People have stuff to do. Even internet people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Better things to do on Friday.
Basically been conditioned to watch wrestling on Mondays after all this time.
People prefer live to taped and spoilers give you a chance to pre evaluate a show and choose to skip it.
Years of conditioning by wwe that says Smackdown is the B show.
Anything big that happens on Smackdown gets ignored or redone on RAW.
A lot of people probably do watch it but watch it taped Saturday or Sunday in a quick sitting. RAW is watched live which leads to a live game thread.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bradzilla posted:

It's this, and even more recently Smackdown is becoming the Raw "practice" show. Just two weeks ago they did an angle on Smackdown, and then repeated it word for word, spot for spot on the following week's Raw. And yeah Friday night is a loving awful night for any TV show.
It's weird; they go back and forth between Smackdown rehashing Raw, and Smackdown being a teaser for Raw that spoils too much. The one good thing about Smackdown is that sometimes it's allowed to just have good wrestling matches that aren't required to advance a storyline. The bad news is that as often as not, that will be something dumb like a midcard champion losing his zillionth non-title match while retaining the title.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
What happened to that Santino Marella sitcom? Canned before production began? Was it just an angle?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
If I'm going to watch a WWE show that doesn't really matter to the big picture, I'm going to watch NXT. WWE puts out too many shows for me to watch all their poo poo, so I pick and choose. Smackdown gets the cut for me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
NXT is the best promotion for so many reasons. They have angles, but the angles are used to--gasp!--set up matches.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'll sometimes catch one or two interesting sounding matches or segments on Youtube, but I personally generally have no desire to watch Smackdown anymore after the brand split basically ended and the switch to a three hour Raw.

The timeslot sucks and three hours of WWE programmming enough for me. Also, for all the complaints about Raw's extra hour it really has led to an increase in quality matches of a decent length. There's no way we'd have seen the fairly lengthy great Bryan/Shield matches we've had for a month now if it was a two hour show. That was previously the main reason for watching Smackdown in the past, but it really just seems like an unnecessary B show in every area now.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
On top of all that, Smackdown is taped on Tuesdays so rather than waste my Friday watching Raw-lite or a recap show, I can look at the spoilers and then YouTube anything of value.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
When is the last time anyone was offered and/or signed a lifetime contract? Bret Hart?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BlueArmyMan posted:

When is the last time anyone was offered and/or signed a lifetime contract? Bret Hart?

Vince offered Hogan a 25-year contract around 2007, but he turned it down. It was chronicled on an episode of 'Hogan Knows Best'. Vince told him that he always wanted Hulkamania to be part of WWE and that the contract would guarantee money to his family even after he was gone.

In retrospect - dumb move on Hulk's part

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Why did Mordecai happen? I swear it could've been WWE throwing not-so-smarks a bone over that "White Undertaker" rumour.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah he was basically set up to be an Undertaker nemesis of the week, but he was too terrible even for that.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
SmackDown's been getting a lot better over the past few months -- at least recently, it seems like a lot of the angles have been able to stay on there and only on there. The Rise of Daniel Bryan angle has had pretty major advancements on SmackDown and they haven't redone them on Raw (at least not yet). Also, SmackDown just has a lot of fun segments, like Damien Sandow yelling at a computer to shut up.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Since he's been the character, what's the longest period of time Kane has ever been off of WWE television? The longest thing I can find is the period from October 19, 2004 - January 2005, when he was off filming See No Evil. The dude almost never gets injured and seems to have no interest in vacations.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Tato posted:

Since he's been the character, what's the longest period of time Kane has ever been off of WWE television? The longest thing I can find is the period from October 19, 2004 - January 2005, when he was off filming See No Evil. The dude almost never gets injured and seems to have no interest in vacations.

Libertarians are invincible?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tato posted:

He was gone from July 22 '11 to December 12 '11 in between his kayfabe injury at the hands of Mark Henry and his return as a heel with the mask.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

He tore a muscle in his arm once during the era where hogan was about it was a week or so after his kaneinties while mimicking hogans mannerisms promo. But I don't have a time frame on that it might have been the time he returned to stop the unamericans burning the flag.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Who came up with the Rock's "If ya smell" line? Please tell me it was him

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Russo claims he came up with a lot of the patter. The rudi poo and jabroni thing was actually coined in World Class Championship Wrestling by "Iceman" King Parsons.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Wario Kart 64 posted:

It's an old expression like "if you catch my drift." He said in his book that one of his uncles used to say it all the time. Iirc the first time he used it was the Gennifer Flowers interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2QUZ9T_KhI

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Have any of you guys tried to make a spreadsheet or database of your wrestling DVDs? I'd love to be able to quickly search for stuff in my library but I'm not sure the best way to set things up. Plus with different gimmick matches, stipulations, multi man matches, etc, it might be way more complicated than the utility I would get out of it. I also haven't made a database in over a year, since I made one for a class project.

For software I have Microsoft Office, including Visio (for designing/planning) Excel, and Access, as well as Open Office.

Any ideas?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Monkeycheese posted:

Have any of you guys tried to make a spreadsheet or database of your wrestling DVDs? I'd love to be able to quickly search for stuff in my library but I'm not sure the best way to set things up. Plus with different gimmick matches, stipulations, multi man matches, etc, it might be way more complicated than the utility I would get out of it. I also haven't made a database in over a year, since I made one for a class project.

For software I have Microsoft Office, including Visio (for designing/planning) Excel, and Access, as well as Open Office.

Any ideas?

http://www.filmaf.com/

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When was the last time there was a criss-cross spot? I can't remember it happening beyond the 80s.

80s WWF used to do it fairly frequently, where they'd run the ropes adjacent to each other and it would continue until someone inevitably dropped or leapfrogged or the two double-clotheslined each other. If it weren't so inherently silly (because momentum doesn't force you to keep running ropes), I feel like there are some interesting flippy spots from the lighter part of the roster that could be done.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

When was the last time there was a criss-cross spot? I can't remember it happening beyond the 80s.

80s WWF used to do it fairly frequently, where they'd run the ropes adjacent to each other and it would continue until someone inevitably dropped or leapfrogged or the two double-clotheslined each other. If it weren't so inherently silly (because momentum doesn't force you to keep running ropes), I feel like there are some interesting flippy spots from the lighter part of the roster that could be done.

It happens on the indies every once in awhile.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

sticklefifer posted:

Michael McGillicutty never stopped running:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xww2dy_wwe-saturday-morning-slam-1-19-13-full-show-hq_sport&start=861

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I love how betrayed he looks when he finally realizes sheamus ditched him.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Monkeycheese posted:

Any ideas?
I actually thought of doing something like this, where I cataloged each individual match on the DVDs I own. This way I could look over the match listing for an upcoming DVD and see how much of the content I already had. Haven't gotten around to it yet though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Oh wow. Now I'm really hoping Curtis Axel's gimmick turns out to be that he's actually just half-retarded and Heyman's been exploiting him. After all, he recently claimed to be the next Intercontinental Title.

They need to go full-Adamle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So do you see him as more of a Dave Sullivan or a Eugene? Those were great ideas.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You never go full Eugene.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Is this show comedy spots, or was this just a comedy match?
As a comedy match, I thought it was entertaining.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Shadow225 posted:

The show has a lot of comedy spots like that. It's TV-G so there's no head shots or brutal moves or anything, so it's usually a pretty basic wrestling match with lots of entertaining spots like that thrown in. Track down Tyson Kidd vs Daniel Bryan from Saturday Morning Slam.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

SMS has more comedy matches that it does regular matches. There's so many old school classic comedy spots they use every week, its such a throwback of a show.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cromulent posted:

The show has a lot of comedy spots like that. It's TV-G so there's no head shots or brutal moves or anything, so it's usually a pretty basic wrestling match with lots of entertaining spots like that thrown in. Track down Tyson Kidd vs Daniel Bryan from Saturday Morning Slam.

Yeah, Daniel Bryan busts out all the classic World of Sport comedy match spots (Lady of the Lake! :allears:)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Not a question, but generally when they change the way title belts look they do it for the worse (spinner, etc.) However, I really like the way the tag titles look now even though they confusingly didn't continue the reign of their original tag titles from the 70s.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

Vince offered Hogan a 25-year contract around 2007, but he turned it down. It was chronicled on an episode of 'Hogan Knows Best'. Vince told him that he always wanted Hulkamania to be part of WWE and that the contract would guarantee money to his family even after he was gone.

In retrospect - dumb move on Hulk's part

Was this decision a Ric Flair type thing where Hogan couldn't afford (finance or ego wise) to not be able to pursue outside interests while under a lifetime contract with WWE or just Hogan being a big dummy?

Sidenote: I know those aren't mutually exclusive

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 15, 2013

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW

WeaponX posted:

Was this decision a Ric Flair type thing where Hogan couldn't afford (finance or ego wise) to not be able to pursue outside interests while under a lifetime contract with WWE or just Hogan being a big dummy?

Sidenote: I know those aren't mutually exclusive

It wasn't a dumb move at the time and still may not be. Being tied down to a deal for the rest of your life isn't smart. The Hulk Hogan brand may not be what it once was, but there is still some value in it. It didn't take much to convince Dixie and Spike of this.

Also nobody could have predicted the ugly divorce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hogan was doing fine until he lost his nest egg in the stock market and had to go work for JBL.