Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

thet0wer posted:

No it wasn't.

And with regards to X-Men, Spencer was setting up a 50+ run that was cut short at 12 issues because it was "moving too slow", a complaint partially informed by the hate-boner that some people have for Spencer.

I think its because Spencer does move at a snails pace. I like his other work but that is a fair criticism of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

You see setting up a 50+ issue story. I see throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, you don't start a series making a statement like putting Kitty Pride into top of the terrorist most wanted list and then not touch that for 11 issues.

DFu4ever posted:

I'm thinking of continuing with the new Spider-Man stuff, and maybe X-Men. I'm pretty sure I'll like Spider-Man, since I really dig Bendis's writing, but I'm not sure about X-Men. I like Kitty Pryde, Iceman, and Human Torch, but I'm not familiar with the creative team they have on that book. Anyone have opinions on that one?

If you're going to read the new Ultimate X-Men read the first issue and then skip to 13 and marvel at the fact that apparently nothing happened in the previous 11 issues.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

thet0wer posted:

And with regards to X-Men, Spencer was setting up a 50+ run that was cut short at 12 issues because it was "moving too slow", a complaint partially informed by the hate-boner that some people have for Spencer.
1) You shouldn't make plans for a 50+ issue run without making sure you can tell a coherent satisfying story in the 6-12 issues you're actually promised.

You'd think that people would have learned that lesson after the late 1990s rash of Vertigo/Wildstorm/c-list Marvel/DC books that came out and took five issues establishing the main character and then couldn't understand why they were getting canned after ten issues because IF YOU JUST STICK WITH IT UNTIL YEAR THREE OH MAN THAT THIRD ISSUE WILL BE SO GOOD.

You'd think Nick Spencer would realize that given that he's a shameless Lost homage-r, and surely he watched one of the dozen shows that got greenlit post-Lost and then aired six episodes because they were so busy constructing a WORLD MYTHOLOGY that they forgot to give anyone a hook in the first three episodes.

But people like Morning Glories against all odds, and so Nick Spencer has learned nothing.

And the 'hate boner' seemed to extend to the Buying Public:

code:
22	Ultimate Comics X-Men	1	$3.99	Marvel	62,080
46	Ultimate Comics X-Men	2	$3.99	Marvel	44,399
54	Ultimate Comics X-Men	3	$3.99	Marvel	39,657
52	Ultimate Comics X-Men	4	$3.99	Marvel	37,115
56	Ultimate Comics X-Men	5	$3.99	Marvel	35,153
57	Ultimate Comics X-Men	6	$3.99	Marvel	33,975
64	Ultimate Comics X-Men	7	$3.99	Marvel	32,353
66	Ultimate Comics X-Men	8	$3.99	Marvel	30,822
64	Ultimate Comics X-Men	9	$3.99	Marvel	30,080
69	Ultimate Comics X-Men	10	$3.99	Marvel	29,743
90	Ultimate Comics X-Men	11	$3.99	Marvel	28,711
89	Ultimate Comics X-Men	12	$3.99	Marvel	28,839

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

thet0wer posted:

No it wasn't.

I thought it was cut short because it was "poop".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

I thought it was cut short because it was "poop".

I think calling it poop is being too kind to it. It just did not seem to go anywhere and it was just piling mystery upon mystery and having no real hook. Brian Wood is making the title readable again.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Spencer just made bad decision after bad decision. Some of which are mostly antithetical to the Ultimate line, such as potentially resurrecting multiple dead characters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

1) You shouldn't make plans for a 50+ issue run without making sure you can tell a coherent satisfying story in the 6-12 issues you're actually promised.

You'd think that people would have learned that lesson after the late 1990s rash of Vertigo/Wildstorm/c-list Marvel/DC books that came out and took five issues establishing the main character and then couldn't understand why they were getting canned after ten issues because IF YOU JUST STICK WITH IT UNTIL YEAR THREE OH MAN THAT THIRD ISSUE WILL BE SO GOOD.

You'd think Nick Spencer would realize that given that he's a shameless Lost homage-r, and surely he watched one of the dozen shows that got greenlit post-Lost and then aired six episodes because they were so busy constructing a WORLD MYTHOLOGY that they forgot to give anyone a hook in the first three episodes.

But people like Morning Glories against all odds, and so Nick Spencer has learned nothing.

And the 'hate boner' seemed to extend to the Buying Public:

code:
22	Ultimate Comics X-Men	1	$3.99	Marvel	62,080
46	Ultimate Comics X-Men	2	$3.99	Marvel	44,399
54	Ultimate Comics X-Men	3	$3.99	Marvel	39,657
52	Ultimate Comics X-Men	4	$3.99	Marvel	37,115
56	Ultimate Comics X-Men	5	$3.99	Marvel	35,153
57	Ultimate Comics X-Men	6	$3.99	Marvel	33,975
64	Ultimate Comics X-Men	7	$3.99	Marvel	32,353
66	Ultimate Comics X-Men	8	$3.99	Marvel	30,822
64	Ultimate Comics X-Men	9	$3.99	Marvel	30,080
69	Ultimate Comics X-Men	10	$3.99	Marvel	29,743
90	Ultimate Comics X-Men	11	$3.99	Marvel	28,711
89	Ultimate Comics X-Men	12	$3.99	Marvel	28,839

Looks like he was finding his level at the end, there. Whether 29000ish is good enough for him to keep writing is questionable, though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spencer's run felt like a bunch of one shots. Then 13 drops and poo poo goes bananas.

Are they going to kill the Ultimate Comics universe at some point? I mean they've wiped out Europe, part of Asia and USA has completely balkanized.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

coconono posted:

Spencer's run felt like a bunch of one shots. Then 13 drops and poo poo goes bananas.

Are they going to kill the Ultimate Comics universe at some point? I mean they've wiped out Europe, part of Asia and USA has completely balkanized.

That's was what Ultimatum was supposed to be, but then they changed direction

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I'm positive Age of Ultron and that Hunger book spinning out of it (which was originally Age of Ultron U.C.) (bet U.C. stands for Ultimate Comics) (also it's solicited with the other Ultimate books) are the beginning of the end for the Ultimate U

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

d00gZ posted:

I'm positive Age of Ultron and that Hunger book spinning out of it (which was originally Age of Ultron U.C.) (bet U.C. stands for Ultimate Comics) (also it's solicited with the other Ultimate books) are the beginning of the end for the Ultimate U

Is this just a hunch? I've read that UC stands for "Universal Constant".

If you are right, I'm assuming this would work with the cliffhanger at the end of Spider-Men.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think they'd likely keep Spider-Man running even if the other books end though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dacap posted:

I think they'd likely keep Spider-Man running even if the other books end though.

Ultimate Spider-man will end when Bendis is dead.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Sigma posted:

Is this just a hunch? I've read that UC stands for "Universal Constant".

If you are right, I'm assuming this would work with the cliffhanger at the end of Spider-Men.

The "universal constant" thing is just a Rich Johnston rumor that doesn't make any loving sense; they've repeatedly said AoU and Infinity are separate, and "universal constant" is a Hickman/Infinity thing

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

d00gZ posted:

The "universal constant" thing is just a Rich Johnston rumor that doesn't make any loving sense; they've repeatedly said AoU and Infinity are separate, and "universal constant" is a Hickman/Infinity thing

So Galactus is going to eat the Ultimate Universe and Miles is going to 616?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

So Miles is going to join the X-men?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Humphries also mentioned he was writing Ultimates: Infinity at one point.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
So, Age of Ultron 10 featured a panel in which Miles bumped in to 616 Galactus. That was definitely a thing. How the flip that's gonna tie in to One Year Later I have no idea.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I-

Is- Is that in the wrong thread?

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I dunno man. Universes appear to be colliding. Maybe the threads will too...

616 Galactus has made an appearance in the UU though (although in a 616 comic). There's talk of the UU coming to an end. This could be the start of it...

Nobody seemed to be talking about it here, and I thought it might be relevant.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Age of Ultron makes more sense when you take into account the fact that it was supposed to be out last year before Now! began. With all the time fuckery in a lot of marvel titles, AoU concludes with time hella hosed and 616 Galactus in the UU.

Hunger (which was called AoU #10 UC) will take place in the Ultimate universe and revolve around Galactus being in it. How it will tied to whatever the gently caress is currently going on, I have no idea.

But it does look like time's running out for this universe. I'm guessing (not spoiling speculation) it'll be a mix of Galactus trying to get back and an incursion occurring between 616 and UU. Galactus gets back along with a few stragglers (Miles?) and the ultimate universe's Earth is destroyed.

Ultimate Spider-Man is renamed to Amazing Spider-Man and Superior remains Superior?

THAT SAID,

U Spidey was pretty good today. I haven't read much of the 616 C&D but I liked their introduction. And Gwen knocking some sense in Miles' head.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Isn't it time for the Infinity Gauntlet to appear in the Ultimate universe?

Could tie in.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

krakagar posted:

So, Age of Ultron 10 featured a panel in which Miles bumped in to 616 Galactus. That was definitely a thing. How the flip that's gonna tie in to One Year Later I have no idea.

Could you drop a scan of that, if at all possible?

This month's ultimate spidey seemed mostly setup, but I'm curious to see where Cloak and Dagger are heading. I have a suspicion that they're still in the unwitting employ of Roxxon, kidnapping superfolks with Cloak's abilities and dragging them back for rehabilitation / experimentation.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Isn't it time for the Infinity Gauntlet to appear in the Ultimate universe?

Could tie in.

I am pretty sure that is happening in The Ultimates.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Ending the Ultimate Universe and dumping Miles into 616 would be the worst thing to do for the character. He'd no longer a legacy hero and just another kid in a suit before being shuffled into Cancelled Young Heroes Team Book #15163

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Waterhaul posted:

Ending the Ultimate Universe and dumping Miles into 616 would be the worst thing to do for the character. He'd no longer a legacy hero and just another kid in a suit before being shuffled into Cancelled Young Heroes Team Book #15163

That or a prime candidate for Avengers Arena Season 2

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waterhaul posted:

It would be but if they really are set on just ending the UU (which admittedly, we don't know) it does seem like the only choice.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

goldenoreos posted:

gently caress. You.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

goldenoreos posted:

Him and Ganke will be part of season 2. Seriously, nothing will happen with Miles as long as Bendis has any power at Marvel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

goldenoreos posted:

That's Cancelled Young Heroes Team Book #15163.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Honestly, they should just give Bendis the keys to the Ultimate Universe and leave it in his hands. Yes, yes, he fouls up sometimes in 616, but it's clear to everyone that Ult. Spiderman is keeping the line alive.

It's win/win. He gets to play his long-term games WITH repercussions, the 616 haters get their way, and the Ult. Line gets saved.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cross-post

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also apparently "Anthony" Stark (Tony's tumor) was one of the Gems.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Him and Ganke will be part of season 2. Seriously, nothing will happen with Miles as long as Bendis has any power at Marvel.

Aside from the story being really, really decompressed Ultimate Spider-man is pretty much a perfect spider-man book. Fun characters, teenage angst, dead parent - Mile Morales has it all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MrFlibble posted:

Aside from the story being really, really decompressed Ultimate Spider-man is pretty much a perfect spider-man book. Fun characters, teenage angst, dead parent - Mile Morales has it all.

I know it is one of the highlights of my month. Can not believe that it has been this good for over 10 years.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Couldn't they just let Ultimate Spidey be the only Ultimate book, and occasionally do Ultimate miniseries here or there to show what else is happening in the UU?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Couldn't they just let Ultimate Spidey be the only Ultimate book, and occasionally do Ultimate miniseries here or there to show what else is happening in the UU?
They could, and probably should. Last I checked, it was pretty consistently outselling UXM and Ultimates. I'd be very surprised if there was a significant number reading one or both of those and NOT reading USM.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Somebody on here, maybe d00gz, was saying that Marvel likes to play the long game with its writers on the theory that eventually they'll blow up, and when they do, Marvel will show off their attractively priced line of TPBs with that writer's name on the front. That made enough sense to me that I've been thinking that's what they're doing with Wood on UXM. Granted, Wood's not exactly low-profile but he's not a mainstream superstar either.

As for Ultimates, I really do get the feeling that it's a testing ground for the movies more than anything else.

Also, man, Dave Marquez's art on today's USM is just brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

Spider-girl managed to stay in print for a pretty long time doing just that.

• Locked thread