Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VonWigg
Sep 10, 2005

As a viking, do I have to have a fleet nearby to loot?
I started the game as Könugarđr, which is smack dab in the middle of nowhere near an ocean, so I can't really get any ships.
Not that it's any problem, I just needed to get rid of the at-peace-for-too-long malus, but it seemed my units couldn't loot even if it was a neighboring province. I kind of expected it to work like the soumensko looting if you were inland...

Edit: Have a screenshot, I guess.

VonWigg fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with the Gavelkind succession you have to put up with as a Norse?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tindahbawx posted:

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with the Gavelkind succession you have to put up with as a Norse?

Either manage your heirs via stabbing and limit your wives/concubines or just :dealwithit: and conquer more stuff. You can always just scheme your way into getting the prime counties back after a succession, particularly once you crush the inevitable succession crisis that follows.

Generally I start handing out crap counties once I hit the demense cap, starting with younger sons who I don't care about. Those will count against their inheritance and allow you to skew the good counties towards your eldest son(s). Only tricky thing is to always make sure that you only have one of your highest title when succession time comes. So if you are a duke, hold everything under one duchy. Same for kingdoms. Once you get an empire you can go hog wild but if you grab multiples before then and have multiple heirs, your realm will fracture.

Gavelkind takes some getting used to but it is rather manageable once you do.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yesterday I had my first moment where all of a sudden the story I'd made up mattered more than the abstract "man, I really want to form Brittania, better check on my vassals, okay am I training any good scholars for later" abstract thought. Things just went click and now I really care. So let me tell you a story.

This is King Mael-Patraic.

He's old. He's reigned for a long time; his father was a raving lunatic who only ruled for a few years before falling out of a balcony window. Nobody knows if it was suicide, or if he decided he could fly, or if it was the court of Ireland putting him out of his misery and saving the country.

He has ten children. Nine of them are daughters. His only son fell ill one day and went to sleep. He never woke up, but slept on, comatose and unresponsive. The son had three sons. The first two were grave disappointments, and the third... well, the best that could be said about him was that he was adequate.

Seriously, their stats were in the toilet. The third was no great shakes and his dumbass father had married him to a nobody, but he was the best choice. I started plots, first against the eldest grandson and then the middle one. Nobody liked them and I was a popular King; the entire court joined in and each were quickly assassinated. Mael-Patraic's involvement got leaked out on the first killing, unfortunately.

The crown would fall to the best possible hands, and Mael-Patraic's crowded court was two unlikeable members smaller. No great loss. Then Mael-Patraic's son finally died, having lingered for many years. The order was sent to bring the heir to the crown to court, but it was not Mael-Patraic's grandson who appeared before the throne. It was a five year old boy named Conall. The eldest grandson's wife had been pregnant when he died... when he was murdered.

He was King Mael-Patraic The Great, King of Ireland, King of Scotland, King of France, King of Brittany, King of Wales. And he had killed two of his grandsons for absolutely no reason at all.

Overcome with guilt, Mael-Patraic made a special petition to Rome, begging to be absolved of his sins. The Pope granted him a special dispensation, but it was not enough to quiet his newly-awakened conscience. He was going to do better by his new heir. The boy needed an education. He would have to be groomed for command, but the court had grown rather stale over the years and the diplomatic bench was rather light, especially knowing that he would have to be taught by an Irishman. Word went out that the crown prince needed a tutor, and rumors soon reached the King of a true prodigy. By birth the man was a minor Earl, but the rumors said he was perhaps the finest diplomat ever born. Mael-Patraic interviewed the man and found the rumors to be true. He sent Conall off the next day, to learn to rule.

Yesterday was the day after the son died and I got surprised by my new heir. I was at work and not even thinking about the game when out of the blue the thought struck me that my King must feel really goddamn bad about what he'd done, and the rest of the story came right on its heels. I even bought him that dispensation even though I had plenty of piety, because it'd be what he'd do. And as for that Earl? 30 loving DIPLOMACY, and his traits weren't even that good. Dude was a freak of nature.

When the Pope called a crusade for Jerusalem some years later, Mael-Patraic sent the full might of Ireland in support. 53,000 men sailed to the Holy Land and routed the infidel in battle after battle. The crusade was a stunning success, and in the ease of his victories Mael-Patraic found proof that his sins had truly been forgiven. He returned home to Ireland and died two years later, content at last. He left behind an Ireland that was one of the world's great powers and on the cusp of Empire, but that would be the task of his heir.

And as for Conall? He took the crown at age 15. The regency was brief and uneventful. Upon reaching the age of majority, he married for love, wedding a Russian peasant girl he had met while abroad. Charming, intelligent, and astute, she complimented well the more good-natured and trusting Conall.

The young King Conall intends to finish his great-grandfather's work and conquer England. After that, I don't know... but I'm sure it'll make a grand story.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

I hate myself and I want to die.

Don't be like me.

Don't play West Africa.

It's not fun. At all.

P.S.: Did you know that the 'convert to attacker's religion' button, contrary to its tooltip, doesn't actually end ongoing religious wars?

P.P.S.:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I swear, the worst thing in the world for future children under my reign is if my involvement in the murder of an unwanted son is made public.
Because at that point, who even cares if you get caught again? Stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab.

The King of Ireland - single-handedly funding the Teeny Tiny Coffin-making industry.

edit for a picture of the horror

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 11, 2013

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hell, if you're Norse you can even get some use out of your reject kids by sending them off to meet Uncle Odin.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

I swear, the worst thing in the world for future children under my reign is if my involvement in the murder of an unwanted son is made public.
Because at that point, who even cares if you get caught again? Stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab.

The King of Ireland - single-handedly funding the Teeny Tiny Coffin-making industry.

edit for a picture of the horror

I had something similar to this. I was stabbing my way to the top, whereupon I got the kinslayer trait after I'd assigned a lot of my kinsmen as vassals. I realized what an rear end in a top hat my ruler was, and as a big gently caress you to my Irish kinsmin I swore fealty to the Scottish king, raised my vassal armies and helped him bitch-slap Elizabeth the Drunk back into vassal-dom

The king of Scotland LOVED me for it, I had 100 opinion with him and he made me his Marshal. I continued my work unifying Scotland all the way up until he died and his dickshit son inherited, and all his vassals rebelled again. My own vassals rebelled, and eventually I died and my surviving son had but a single, lonely county to his name.

Finally getting the hang of this game and seeing what all the hype is about!

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Isn't that the sickness icon for Infirm? On a sixteen year old? :stare:

Edit: Or is it just Ill? Her stats arent low enough for it to be one of the debilitating sicknesses unless she was a REAL catch.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Daeren posted:

Edit: Or is it just Ill? Her stats arent low enough for it to be one of the debilitating sicknesses unless she was a REAL catch.

It's just ill. Infirm is like a cracked wine glass.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

PleasingFungus posted:

P.S.: Did you know that the 'convert to attacker's religion' button, contrary to its tooltip, doesn't actually end ongoing religious wars?

It should. I've had a ton end - and have ended- that way. I'd report it to Paradox if it's really not working properly.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
poo poo, I made Poland as a God-Queen and now I need to convert, since loving Hungary grabbed the Holy Site I was angling at. Fuckers.

On the other hand, had everything as Poland except Krakow, which was owned by Great Moravia. Great Moravia could kill my rear end super dead, but the king was old, people liked me, and his heir was 5. One good snake and the entire country exploded into civil war and I was able to snipe Krakow from him. Not so "Great" any more, are ya?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I think I know why gavelkind is so messed up, always giving away your capital.

It's because of the combination of two behaviors - first, it attempts to hand out all titles higher than counties in a round-robin fashion, and second, because it also attempts to give counties to the holder of their de-jure duchy.

So if you own a kingdom and a duchy, and your capital is in the duchy that you own (which is a pretty normal state of affairs), it will hand the king title to your primary heir, the duke title to your secondary heir, and then it will try to give all the counties it can inside that duchy, including your capital, to that secondary heir. Leaving your primary heir with whatever random counties you may possess outside your main duchy.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Is there a version of the GoT April Fools (Europe+Westeros) mod compatible with ToG?

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Oh gawd.

I have conquered almost the entire map as Ivar the Boneless in 1130, and more or less every time I would conquer some territory I would give it to a dynasty member with no claims and who wasn't expected to inherit anything.

This has caused tons of blobbing at the king level as titles would start consolidating together as kings would start marrying queens and dukes with duchesses.

For example, France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway have all blobbed together. Ireland, England, Brittany, and parts of Lithuania. Burgundy, Acquittance, Aragon, Andalusia. And so on.

In an amusing note though, during the inevitable independence war at the start of the reign of my current king mega-Denmark would use its absurdly large doomstacks to constantly liberate the territories that the mega-Ireland/mega-Burgundy alliance keep sieging. That was a huge clusterfuck as everyone had become so honeycombed with each other at that point.

If I had thought about that ahead of time, I would almost certainly have tried to switch every king-level title over to agnatic before handing it over in order to prevent kings from marrying landed queens.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Daeren posted:

Yeah, it's just ill. I'm sorta banking on her only having a cold.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Odd. I just took APulia from the Duke of Apulia/Benevito/Salerno and I got him as a vassal for some reason.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Exactly how are you supposed to fight your way out of the Mali area if you start as Ghana?
The sultanate north of your starting position has some states that seem to be absolute goldmines, so whoever is in charge there always ends up with massive doomstacks, and your starting technology isn't exactly the best in West Africa. Not to mention that you cannot use mercenaries as a muslim ruler.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Broken Cog posted:

Exactly how are you supposed to fight your way out of the Mali area if you start as Ghana?
The sultanate north of your starting position has some states that seem to be absolute goldmines, so whoever is in charge there always ends up with massive doomstacks, and your starting technology isn't exactly the best in West Africa. Not to mention that you cannot use mercenaries as a muslim ruler.

The sultanate just to your north at the start of the game is Shiite; the Umayyads, to their north, are Sunni. Almost inevitably, in my experience, the Umayyads will sweep down & take all of Mauretania, leaving a few provinces in the Sahara for you to gobble up.

From there, you'll either want to follow the pagan strategy (murder Umayyads until a succession crisis or decadence revolt pops up, and then grab as much territory as you can, one province at a time), or alternately, swear fealty to the Umayyads and build yourself an empire - that'll restrict you to duke-level, of course, but I suspect it'll still be much much easier.

Good luck!

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Formed Britain for the first time, won two crusades, about to finally enact primogeniture so I can stop sending my sons and brothers off to the church. I have an empire around the size of the Byzantine, and only 24 people in my court. I'm so psyched. Next game I play will be my first time trying CK2+. For someone who couldn't get into the game initially, I'm so glad I stuck with it.

Once I get things stabilized, what should I do with this empire? I have Britain, Jerusalem, and Andalusia. What should my goal be aside from keeping this wad of vassals stuck together?

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
A few generations into my Jorvik game and I have a Kingdom spanning the British Isles and a genius king with free holy war CB's on all of Europe. I have the game right where I want it.

The game knows this.

Attempt 1: While fighting a holy war in Holland, my king is injured. I win the war, and immediately after my king dies to an infected injury.

Attempt 2: Same war, but a few weeks in, my king gets challenged to a duel by a Scottish independence leader I converted to Norse. Needless to say I accept, and needless to say my king gets an axe to the stomach and dies.

Attempt 3: I win the war and everything is super duper. Except out of nowhere a 20k man stack appears under a general out to liberate Flanders. Well, that's not good. I load everyone back up onto the dragon ships, cross the channel, smack the would be conqueror around annnnnd my king gets a crushing blow to the head.

This guy is seriously cursed.

e: I finally got him through the war and its aftermath, only to have him get struck down by a sudden illness at the ripe old age of 29. I guess he was just too beautiful for this world.

TheLoquid fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 12, 2013

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

jpmeyer posted:

Oh gawd.

I have conquered almost the entire map as Ivar the Boneless in 1130, and more or less every time I would conquer some territory I would give it to a dynasty member with no claims and who wasn't expected to inherit anything.

This has caused tons of blobbing at the king level as titles would start consolidating together as kings would start marrying queens and dukes with duchesses.

For example, France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway have all blobbed together. Ireland, England, Brittany, and parts of Lithuania. Burgundy, Acquittance, Aragon, Andalusia. And so on.

In an amusing note though, during the inevitable independence war at the start of the reign of my current king mega-Denmark would use its absurdly large doomstacks to constantly liberate the territories that the mega-Ireland/mega-Burgundy alliance keep sieging. That was a huge clusterfuck as everyone had become so honeycombed with each other at that point.

If I had thought about that ahead of time, I would almost certainly have tried to switch every king-level title over to agnatic before handing it over in order to prevent kings from marrying landed queens.

Yep. It's annoying, but I still always set up vassal kingdoms once I'm an emperor. They take care of two of my least favorite pieces of micromanagement - peasant revolts and consolidating levies.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
In a perfectly normal going game, I had to king of West Francia take the majority of my titles away because my son was a pretender to the throne and one of my councilors was part of a lower crown authority faction.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
How do I edit CK2+'s files make it so that pagans who form kingdoms don't switch to primogeniture when they do so?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
A quick shout-out to the guys who are currently trying to flesh out Romans/Hellenic paganism:

I just stumbled on a site that has a notated copy of the Notitia Dignitatum, which despite being a record first written circa 400 AD, is probably the closest that you're going to get to a comprehensive list of Roman heraldry. If you're looking to have CoAs for hellenic pagans, or dynamic CoAs like with the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons territories, this may be the best bet. I may see what I can do to translate these into CK2's graphics, but a) I'm not an artist and b) I suck with GIMP so no promises.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm experimenting with adding Crown/Demense laws for Better Armies that let people choose their realm's economy/army type and yield separate sets of buildings depending on whats chosen. Problem is, I don't have any experience working with these files and I can't get things to work quite right.

Basically I either need:
A)Selecting a law to add a specific province flag to all de jure provinces of the realm
or
B)Selecting a law to fire an event that adds a province flag to all dejure provinces

I've got the flags set up, added the new laws, and created a basic event, but I'm not sure how to make it target all the dejure provinces that the law would effect.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I, too have noticed that Old Gods lends itself to massive blobs of Kingdoms. I'm Wales/England/Scotland/Ireland/France/Aquitaine right now, and then there's Lotharingia/all of the Iberian kingdoms, the Iberian Muslim Caliph stretches all the way to Mali, and it's a pretty similar story throughout the map. Hell, I had to take France from the queen of the southern half of Europe, and East Francia might as well be the HRE. I haven't even paid attention to whatever other blobs there are, but I have some good ideas from previous games as Norse in eastern Europe. I don't think there's a single non-petty king or queen in my current game who doesn't hold more than one king title.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
When I raise my levies to support my liege against rebels, if I siege a province it counts towards his warscore, but if I smash an enemy army it doesn't. How does that make any sense. :saddowns:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Okay, the AI really needs to be a little more reasonable about the targets of adventuring characters. People in your vassal's courts launching campaigns are bad enough, but this is just ridiculous.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Strudel Man posted:

Okay, the AI really needs to be a little more reasonable about the targets of adventuring characters. People in your vassal's courts launching campaigns are bad enough, but this is just ridiculous.

What? Clearly this is a friendly game between lovers. Nothing like a little war to spice up the ol' marriage.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

GoT mod is out for ToG. Not compatible with the 1.10.1 beta

quote:

Patch 0.4.4 Notes

This release mainly deals with the new goodies introduced by the latest patch and DLC. Additions include:

-Worshipers of the Drowned God can now use the Old Gods DLC raiding mechanics. Off map reaving is till possible
-Wildlings can go now go raiding and gain defensive bonuses.
-Drowned God followers can now take their prisoners as salt wives using the new concubine system, but only via decision so you can't ask someone to be a salt wife. Old system still in place for non DLC users
-The Blackwater, Mander and Trident are now navigable by Drowned God followers, with a portage bewteen The God's Eye and The Trident
-Added a dynamic dynasty rivalry system. Enemy dynasties can now use the vengeance CB against eachother, which now also enforces all claims .
-Added some canon rivalries, including Frey-Stark rivalry from AFFC.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/files/23400281/CK2GOT044.zip

CK2+ is also out of beta and is also not compatible with 1.10.1.

quote:

2.00:
- Updated to The Old Gods.
- De jure empires should now be correct.
- Added history for West Africa in 867 start.
- Forts will now protect less loot, to fit the lower overall loot values
- Reformed Norse can use rivers once more
- Pagans can no longer use Holy Wars
- Discontinued Divided Muslims module as it is not updated for TOG
- Unreformed pagans are now properly stuck with Gavelkind
- Unreformed pagans no longer allowed to get higher than Low CA
- Removed Karling claims on each other to prevent the Carolingian Empire from immediately reforming.
- Cut most special Pagan CBs. Pagans can launch county conquests on a five-year cooldown timer but regular Pagan warfare will mostly be about raiding.
- Reformed Pagans can no longer loot, travel on rivers or prepare invasions (making them behave more like other organized religions and making it so reforming is not just a straight upgrade).
- Unreformed Pagans no longer have the regular factions, but are extremely prone to independence revolts.

http://ck2plus.adjacentminds.com/CK2Plus-2.00.zip

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 12, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

CK2+'s patch notes are a bit contradictory there. Do reformed pagans get to use rivers or not?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Demiurge4 posted:

CK2+'s patch notes are a bit contradictory there. Do reformed pagans get to use rivers or not?

I suspect the latter half of the patch notes are a copy paste from the beta patch, since they appear to be identical.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

When I raise my levies to support my liege against rebels, if I siege a province it counts towards his warscore, but if I smash an enemy army it doesn't. How does that make any sense. :saddowns:

I posted a bug thread about this a couple of days on the Pdox forums, and while I haven't gotten a dev reply, another player answered me with this.

quote:

I've had something similar happen when one of my vassals destroyed an enemy army. The icon in the lower right didn't update, but the actual war window, with the warscore breakdown participating ruler display, did update. The icon in the lower right updated once I opened the war window.

Been busy doing exams so I've had no chance to test this and see if it works as a vassal and as a ruler, but it might be worth looking into.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
One thing that bugs me a bit is how the Norse cultural fracturing is blind to circumstance. Cultures drift apart in isolation and disunity - if you had a singular realm in control of all Scandinavia for this period, I'm quite doubtful that you would see the emergence of disparate cultures and languages.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Demiurge4 posted:

quote:

- Reformed Norse can use rivers once more
- Reformed Pagans can no longer loot, travel on rivers or prepare invasions (making them behave more like other organized religions and making it so reforming is not just a straight upgrade).

I assume this would mean that he's disabled river travel for all reformed religions except reformed Norse.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Konig posted:

I assume this would mean that he's disabled river travel for all reformed religions except reformed Norse.
Norse are the only ones who can travel on rivers anyway.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

It still has a few bugs:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ThePutty posted:

It still has a few bugs:

Uhm I don't see it? The papacy was always a titular title, it was always open elective, and the Pope is Catholic.

Oh, the flag icon! Yes that is rather unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So has anyone had their spouse go off to find glory? I'm playing as a custom queen of Norway and my husband decided to just go off and conquer Munster on his own. Not like it really affected me as I was already halfway through invading Tuscany.
I do wonder how the pope feels about the Norse living next day?

• Locked thread