Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

Thanks! I want to move my group because I've pretty well done with the first town, but I needed more people.

Another one, it will say a group of survivors has resources like fuel, but that seems to mean nothing? I can't trade it with them...

You can trade with them, but you have literally no control whatsoever over it. The game initiates these trades completely at random and they are totally unrelated to what your actual resource situation is. You might go days without seeing a single trade offer, and then you'll get three separate enclaves offering to trade you Food in exchange for some of your Ammo - when you have so loving much food you don't know what to do with it, and barely enough ammo to make the trade. And those seem to be the only two resources you can ever trade, and only in that way. I've never seen anyone offering to buy some of my food for some of their ammo, or any other resources, even though I know numerous enclaves that have non-food resources, including two with ammo.

In short, the trade system is terrible and is easily the worst part of the game. I really hope they rework it in a later patch - or at the very least give the player some limited control over it, maybe with an 'Offer Trade' button where you either request a specific resource or offer to sell a specific resource and see if you get a reply on the radio.

e: Also, does anyone know how I unload guns? I found six M249 SAWs in the military camp, and they're all fully loaded with 100-round ammo belts, but I don't want to use them - instead, I want to unload those bullets, give everyone AR-15s/M4s/5.56 hunting rifles and give no fucks about ammo ever again.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Network Pesci posted:

Please do. I still don't understand exactly how resource gain from outposts works. As I understand it (and I'm almost certainly wrong about something) if you want to get a steady trickle of a supply, you have to leave that supply untouched when you're searching the building it's in. My survivors need ammo, so I explore a gun shop, find (but don't pick up) a crate of ammo, and make the gun shop into an outppost. This should mean I get a little ammo added to my stash each day. Or, from what I'm reading on this page, it should mean that I can now pick up that ammo and it will respawn tomorrow. I have no idea because the game tells me nothing and the official wiki isn't filled out yet.
I'm poretty sure that the resource summary page only shows what you spent in the last day, not what you're bringing in.

Outposts are also finite resources rather than unlimited as I first assumed, so I've taken a different outlook on them than I initially had - if I get, say, 1 resource a day per outpost until it bleeds dry, why isn't it more efficient to just run over and carry the whole pile back myself, rather than letting it trickle in over the course of 10-20 in-game days? Do you get more overall by setting up an outpost to leech a resource, rather than by turning it in? This is important! :(

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

You can trade with them, but you have literally no control whatsoever over it. The game initiates these trades completely at random and they are totally unrelated to what your actual resource situation is. You might go days without seeing a single trade offer, and then you'll get three separate enclaves offering to trade you Food in exchange for some of your Ammo - when you have so loving much food you don't know what to do with it, and barely enough ammo to make the trade. And those seem to be the only two resources you can ever trade, and only in that way. I've never seen anyone offering to buy some of my food for some of their ammo, or any other resources, even though I know numerous enclaves that have non-food resources, including two with ammo.

In short, the trade system is terrible and is easily the worst part of the game. I really hope they rework it in a later patch - or at the very least give the player some limited control over it, maybe with an 'Offer Trade' button where you either request a specific resource or offer to sell a specific resource and see if you get a reply on the radio.

I've seen other trades offered, but they almost always have you giving up ammo, the hardest to come by resource.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Mister Bates posted:

e: Also, does anyone know how I unload guns? I found six M249 SAWs in the military camp, and they're all fully loaded with 100-round ammo belts, but I don't want to use them - instead, I want to unload those bullets, give everyone AR-15s/M4s/5.56 hunting rifles and give no fucks about ammo ever again.

Certain facilities, like the library, will allow you to open them up to other survivor groups in exchange for ammo. But yeah the trading system could have used some fleshing out. Even it was just some simple thing, like you said, where you offer up a resource and see if there's any takers.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Outposts are also finite resources rather than unlimited as I first assumed, so I've taken a different outlook on them than I initially had - if I get, say, 1 resource a day per outpost until it bleeds dry, why isn't it more efficient to just run over and carry the whole pile back myself, rather than letting it trickle in over the course of 10-20 in-game days? Do you get more overall by setting up an outpost to leech a resource, rather than by turning it in? This is important! :(

Outposts are good because they kill hordes that walk by which helps a ton.

Side note, when you get the first couple survivor groups to meet in the first town you start with? All their ammunition costs 1, which means you get the same influence buying it as you do putting it in your HQ.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Side note, when you get the first couple survivor groups to meet in the first town you start with? All their ammunition costs 1, which means you get the same influence buying it as you do putting it in your HQ.

The cost is based on their trust in you.

e: So abuse that trust and loot them blind!

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 11, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah they help by killing poo poo however, I was wondering what the use of having a trickle of resources is, compared to emptying it immediately and then making an outpost, and running the loot in myself? I mean outside of storage limitations I can't see much point to giving a poo poo.

You can get the first survivors as soon as you finish scouting the tower in town to find the medicine, or right after finding the medicine, I believe. It's random though, so their trust may not be high enough for a couple days of game time.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pickled Kittens posted:

The cost is based on their trust in you.

The default trust for the first couple groups you meet is absurdly high in comparison to some later groups.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Mattjpwns posted:

The "game world carries on while you're logged out" aspect was half-baked, too. It adds nothing to the experience and will lock people out who can't commit huge amounts of time to video games. I'd have preferred supplies to drain on an "in game day" basis, because then I would have actually felt like I had to scavenge more than I did. Just felt like someone went "wow, this sounds like a cool idea", but didn't really think about how it would work in practice.
Agreed 100%. I like the game a lot, even with the bugs, but the realtime aspects are really dumb, and don't make any sense at all with any of the other gameplay mechanisms. It's kinda telling that they're backing off on overnight repairs and stuff in the patch.

I wish there was a setting or something to turn the simulation off altogether. Hopefully someone will figure out a way to mod it out for the PC version.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I'm sure people have complained about this already but I'm pretty new, so I just want to say how dumb I think it is you have to go out by yourself to.most things. One of the first things they tell you in the game is not to go out alone. It turns a moderately risky scavenge mission into a nightmare if the wrong zombies wander by, and I'd feel a lot better clearing out hordes if I had someone to watch my back. Maybe that's what they intended for multiplayer, but it means I'm really reluctant to expand very much or venture too far.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
^ Don't stress it too much. As much as they wanted to deviate from the "smash zombies all day" theme, fairly quickly most character get stupidly powerful.

Like can wade through multiple hordes at the same time with little more then a snickers bar, and all zombies minus brutes are a joke, powerful.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, I'm finding stealth to be pretty useless. Outside I can just honk my car and back over any threats to clear an area.

Inside, stealth is meaningless as searching apparently draws drat near everyone and since zombies have the ability to lovingly spawn at the front door all my indoor searches end up with me jumping out a window and booking it to my car so I can clear the area and repeat ad nauseum.

Also, I know it's been mentioned before but never, ever hit a zombie front and center with your car. Instead back into them. It does no damage to the car and you can wipe out whole infestations like this.

I literally drove around the entire map with one car clearing all infestations so people would stop missing from home. Using your door is good too but more risky than backing up.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Red Mundus posted:

Inside, stealth is meaningless as searching apparently draws drat near everyone and since zombies have the ability to lovingly spawn at the front door all my indoor searches end up with me jumping out a window and booking it to my car so I can clear the area and repeat ad nauseum.

Are you making sure the house is safe first (going to all the little dots on the mini-map)? Or are you constantly fast searching or something? Searching doesn't spawn zombies unless you make a racket. I've seen this mentioned a bit, and I'm curious why people are having this problem.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny Retro posted:

Are you making sure the house is safe first (going to all the little dots on the mini-map)? Or are you constantly fast searching or something? Searching doesn't spawn zombies unless you make a racket. I've seen this mentioned a bit, and I'm curious why people are having this problem.

I do a complete check of the house so the safe area circle pops up. That usually means zombies won't spawn in but it does happen with disturbing regularity. I assume it's a glitch but I'm not sure.

As for sound, whenever you start to search something watch the minimap. A sound circle will expand and alert nearby enemies. With wits 4 the circle is half as big so it becomes less of an issue with higher level survivors. I never fast-search as the one and only time I did a horde just spawned in and tore through the house.

I find the longer I play the worse the zombie spawning gets which leads me to think it's related to infestations. Once I went on my city wide car killing spree things died down for bit but slowly get worse. Could just be placebo effect though.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Noooo I finally got hit with "Too many infestations" and now I have people missing and everything went to poo poo through no fault of my own :(

Also I recruited two new people today through a mission from the Army, who were going to execute them but had them run off instead. One of them was a mean drunk so I gave her a grenade and took her towards a horde, then ran towards another horde. She went out with a bang. I figure if my game is going to start getting hit with those lovely infestation bugs, I'll just farm as many achievements as I can before I restart after the patch.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Red Mundus posted:

I do a complete check of the house so the safe area circle pops up. That usually means zombies won't spawn in but it does happen with disturbing regularity. I assume it's a glitch but I'm not sure.

As for sound, whenever you start to search something watch the minimap. A sound circle will expand and alert nearby enemies. With wits 4 the circle is half as big so it becomes less of an issue with higher level survivors. I never fast-search as the one and only time I did a horde just spawned in and tore through the house.

I find the longer I play the worse the zombie spawning gets which leads me to think it's related to infestations. Once I went on my city wide car killing spree things died down for bit but slowly get worse. Could just be placebo effect though.

Huh, weird. Then I don't really know. Maybe try doing a quick pass around the building before you go in to clear out any nearby zombies, and see if that helps.

It could be related to infestation thing. It seemed like zombies were everywhere for awhile, but after I cleared out the infestations on the map they didn't seem to be as rampant.

EDIT: What may also be happening is some lone straggler is spotting you then alerting the other nearby zombies, either by screaming (regular zombies can do a scream like a shrieker, but quieter and it doesn't stun you)or smashing stuff.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 12, 2013

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

When your character mentions that he/she is glad the zombies didn't notice the sound, it clues you in that holding down LB is a bad idea. The game always spawns zombies around the building when you get the "That was loud!" message, but it also means that you can hold LB during searching all you want now; they'll jump you while you're grabbing the loot. :suspense:

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world
What do you guys think the best place to relocate your base to, the warehouse in Marshall? Is it even worth switching bases? I'm dreading collecting 50+ resources to relocate and rebuild all the add-ons I have at the Church.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So what the hell is a munitions shop and how do I get one?

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
Upgraded workshop. Lots of materials and a tools(?) expert.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Kymera posted:

What do you guys think the best place to relocate your base to, the warehouse in Marshall? Is it even worth switching bases? I'm dreading collecting 50+ resources to relocate and rebuild all the add-ons I have at the Church.

Warehouse seems best. When you re-locate there you get a free large storage room, 8 bed sleeping area, radio booth and a workshop. You just need to build a watchtower, kitchen, another sleeping area, and then a medical area. It also helps as you are surrounded by warehouses and storage places that usually have materials you can use to build. I actually found it easier to build at the warehouse than at the church because of that.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Kymera posted:

I moved to the warehouse and haven't looked back. It was a bit hairy at first, with no amenities and zombies pouring in. Laying on the horn and going hog-wild in my pickup had the area clear pretty quick. Taking the advice from this thread, I made a green-zone perimeter with outposts immediately, completely covering the area around my base. There are five warehouses just to the east loaded with building materials.

Took me about a half hour before I had a job working in every build slot. Then it was just a matter of watching zombies burn off in distance while things built up. :clint:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Kymera posted:

Warehouse all the way. With the way the surrounding town is laid out, it's extremely easy to use strategically placed outposts to basically secure the entire western side of Marshall and keep the zeds from ever getting close to your base, and there are building materials loving everywhere around it, so you'll be able to pretty much freely build what you want. It also has a huge storage capacity, a lot of building slots, and a built-in fully upgraded machine shop for repairing cars and weapons and building poo poo.

e: vvv Yeah, the warehouse workshop is a full-service car repair shop, so it should be fixing them all the way. I have an expert mechanic in my group, though, so that might be effecting it.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 12, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That built in shop is nice, but it is also limited. You can't improve it or replace it, and I don't think it lets you make actual repairs to cars beyond body work, so if the car is steaming or smoking, you can only hammer out the dents and it'll still steam/smoke. Or maybe I just don't have the right guy manning the shop.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The warehouse will give you a fully upgraded workshop but you still need an expert mechanic for it to actually work. Still worth getting regardless.

I kind of wish each safehouse had it's own unique traits to make them all viable. I saw the cool treehouse safehouse but couldn't think of a reason to use it over the warehouse.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well that's good to know. I really need some new blood; I've got no medical specialists, no farmers, no mechanics, no researchers. Just a yoga instructor with a habit of taking field trips and getting lost.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

I felt like the tree house place was a trap. The tree house is a watch tower you can't upgrade at all. The built in upgrade is a library which is really going to require specialists to take advantage of except it doesn't have the construction slots to take advantage of it without keeping your population at 8 (or risking sleep deprivation) after getting the all important workshop and medical center. Coming from the Church I didn't have the people to immediately go to the warehouse but I really wish I had waited and skipped the fancy tree house completely.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah the tree house place is a pretty obvious "you shouldn't go here" place. I mean you are introduced to it with a guy who obviously failed to survive and the only benefit Jacob can find in it is "dude, it's got a TREEHOUSE!"

Also fun tip: when you are scouting locations for the new house in that mission, don't go straight to the objective. If you visit every different location for a house that you can you will get a ton of bonus XP for wits and the player character and Jacob will discuss the merits/disadvantages of each different house.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I've been giving my game 2 or so IRL day breaks between playing and I'm not having any of the problems most are.. Last time I played I had 2 sick, 3 hurt, 5 tired and 3 missing. I come back today to everything fine, all my stockpiles maxed out and only 2 missing.

e: The sentry tower doesn't work though. Even upgrading doesn't do poo poo and my projectile-wielding survivors only attack with melee.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
What ARE The different housing options that're avaliable, in terms of what's built-in/how many open slots they have?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I've been giving my game 2 or so IRL day breaks between playing and I'm not having any of the problems most are.. Last time I played I had 2 sick, 3 hurt, 5 tired and 3 missing. I come back today to everything fine, all my stockpiles maxed out and only 2 missing.

e: The sentry tower doesn't work though. Even upgrading doesn't do poo poo and my projectile-wielding survivors only attack with melee.

That's a bug, there's supposed to be survivors manning that tower in shifts and guards patrolling the perimeter but it doesn't work properly. Supposed to be fixed in the next patch.

e: I'm getting sick of this trade system. The only offers I've ever received are 'give us some of your ammo for some of our food', which means that the only thing a trade offer is in practice is just an automatic -25 influence, which is what it costs to cancel the trade. Just not doing the mission risks the trade happening anyway without my participation, which is a bad thing because it means we lose ammo, so I have to spend influence to talk my people out of it. And then the game chastises me for doing so.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 12, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah I'm more than set for food but that's all we seem to trade for. We're always giving away bullets, which I have yet to crack double digits on.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

Yeah I'm more than set for food but that's all we seem to trade for. We're always giving away bullets, which I have yet to crack double digits on.

I only had a single trade of 10 of my food for 2 of their bullets. If they just upped the rate that trade occurs, or any other trades if there are any, I really wouldn't miss a way to initiate trades so bad.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Slayer1597 posted:

I almost don't think you should, learning the hard way is Zombie Apocalypse 101, isn't it?

GT: Slayer15977 for those that wanna hang out and talk about zombies all night while surviving!

You have too many friends. GT Soonmot for drunken zombie chat.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I actually had a give 15 food for 3 ammo which I took in a heartbeat. It was about 3 hours into a session so maybe the trades take a while to kick in.

As for homes, I found the warehouse by getting lost and kind of wish I hadn't, it probably would've been more fun slowly finding better and better homes and moving to a couple different places. I sunk so many resources into this one though I don't see myself leaving.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Why any of you moved anywhere but taco-shop The Alamo is beyond me.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Is there a listing of home sites somewhere?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

Is there a listing of home sites somewhere?

http://stateofdecay.wikia.com/wiki/Bases (the wiki is still fairly bare bones, but it's getting better)

Church of the Ascension
Kirkman Residence
McReady's Farmhouse
Savini Residence
Snyder Trucking Warehouse
The Alamo
Trumbull County Fairgrounds
Ranger Station

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Which of these has the most space for putting stuff in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So, people have been saying that "too many infestations glitch" glitch is because it is counting infestations across the entire map. I can now say with certainty that is not what is going on in my game. I can "discover" infestations from an observation point, but they do not appear on the map, and when I go there, the location is not seach able or infested. I can identify these infestations from multiple observation points but they don't show up on my map and I can't clear them. I have searched virtually the entire map for infestations, and tried quitting and resuming, hoping that will fix it but nothing work.

I'm down to six people and three of them are always missing. One of them is lilly, so 5 playables. Every one of the them is a murder machine and I've got guns, ammo, melee weapons, and I'm in the farmhouse so I can get my missing people back pretty easily but they just keep going missing. There are about two hordes per block but I just avoid the fat ones and the ferals. gently caress feral's...

Also, despite an upgraded workshop AND a mechanic, none of my cars are getting fixed. I suspect it's because he probably doesn't go a whole day without going missing...

Despite all this, I really love this game. Can't wait to play it a second time...

• Locked thread