Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Testekill posted:

So has anyone had their spouse go off to find glory? I'm playing as a custom queen of Norway and my husband decided to just go off and conquer Munster on his own. Not like it really affected me as I was already halfway through invading Tuscany.
I do wonder how the pope feels about the Norse living next day?

It actually happened. Although the Vikings in question had been christianised IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_conquest_of_southern_Italy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Promontory posted:

I've run into a strange bug after the newest patch where zooming out the map will crash the game. Has anyone else witnessed the same? I'm thinking of downloading the beta patch to see if it fixes the issue.

Replying to myself in case anyone else encounters similar problems: downloading the beta patch made my saves unplayable (moved the map to the southwest corner and did not show any characters), but rolling back restored them and made the crashes stop.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Protip: If you want to smash poo poo up as the Karen dynasty, your best bet is to swear fealty to the Muslim guy to the east right away, then strongarm him into Elective Succession, then starting a "Your Dude for Kingdom" faction and beating him up. Way easier than going at it from the outside. You can even force-convert him after you win.

e: Here's my stuff right before my first ruler designed dude bit the dust. He lived from 30 to almost 90:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 12, 2013

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Hah, just married the princess of some island off Sweden, used my wife's claim to her dad's thrown, conquered the island for my wife, and in the process took all three of her sisters as concubines. This game is weird. So next I'm gonna try to off my wife to see if I can get the island in my first non-war take over.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't know if I got everyone who offered to help with Warhammer, but my name on the Paradox forums is Shade2 and there's a neat thread on the mod subforum.

Unless something amazing happens this should be the last self-serving post here :v:

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 12, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Shadeoses, would you recommend that I start a thread for Sonendar on the Paradox Forums too? I've mostly been going at it myself, so I wonder if it's the sort of thing that people would volunteer for, seeing as how it's not really based on any established fantasy universe. I do need help, though, especially in writing events and stuff.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Playing a Norse is really annoying in CK2+ because it enforces gavelkind until you reform and gavelkind is broken. Also I prepared an invasion of Lithurania, but when I beat the boy kings army into the dust, his vassals in the kingdom I wanted rebelled and I wasn't able to siege any of it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm not finding it to be much of a big deal, actually. I just keep one single duchy title, and one county, and get all my wealth through raiding, and declare war using the subjugate CB, rather than the "De Jure Claims".

EDIT: Remember that shoddy, "Introduction to C++ Computer Programming"-level piece of code that I wrote known as the CK2 Character generator? Well, I just updated it to be not as shoddy! Yay!

New in this version -- you can choose whether or not to generate characters all of one dynasty, or out of a random selection of dynasties. This should make it a bit easier to make families, though I haven't figured out a way to randomly generate parents and children yet.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 12, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I just got a patch so I'm guessing 1.10.1 is out of beta?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Antinumeric posted:

It actually happened. Although the Vikings in question had been christianised IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_conquest_of_southern_Italy

And the pope wasn't terribly happy about having them as neighbors, as it turned out.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's no longer listed in the beta menu so seems like it!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Indeed it is.

There don't seem to be any additional changes from the beta notes, for what that's worth.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

DrSunshine posted:

I'm not finding it to be much of a big deal, actually. I just keep one single duchy title, and one county, and get all my wealth through raiding, and declare war using the subjugate CB, rather than the "De Jure Claims".

EDIT: Remember that shoddy, "Introduction to C++ Computer Programming"-level piece of code that I wrote known as the CK2 Character generator? Well, I just updated it to be not as shoddy! Yay!

New in this version -- you can choose whether or not to generate characters all of one dynasty, or out of a random selection of dynasties. This should make it a bit easier to make families, though I haven't figured out a way to randomly generate parents and children yet.
Sweeeeeet. Thanks for this, I'll downlaad it when I have the chance. :)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sonendar 1.04.1

I made a lot of little tweaks and things, but I can't remember them all, so you will have to take it on my word that it's improved. :ohdear:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Spiderfist Island posted:

A quick shout-out to the guys who are currently trying to flesh out Romans/Hellenic paganism:

I just stumbled on a site that has a notated copy of the Notitia Dignitatum, which despite being a record first written circa 400 AD, is probably the closest that you're going to get to a comprehensive list of Roman heraldry. If you're looking to have CoAs for hellenic pagans, or dynamic CoAs like with the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons territories, this may be the best bet. I may see what I can do to translate these into CK2's graphics, but a) I'm not an artist and b) I suck with GIMP so no promises.
Good news! Someone already made many of the Notitia Dignitatum's designs into .svg files and put them on Wikimedia commons several years ago.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Remember King Conall?

He's changed.

God drat, it is hard to take a Theocracy down. Can't marry in, can't knife motherfuckers until an idiot or a child inherits. You have to just go county by county; it took 16 loving years for enough of England to fall into my hands, and every time a splinter duchy/earldom appeared, I was immediately assisting them in their independence war and then conquering them. My rear end in a top hat useless Chancellor only managing to forge one claim in all that time didn't help either.

In any case, though. RULE BRITANNIA.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

How's CK2+ at the moment? Compatible with latest patch?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Rejected Fate posted:

How's CK2+ at the moment? Compatible with latest patch?

It's compatible with TOG but not the latest patch, I think.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

So I was playing a nice Republic of Gotland -> Finland game. Holy Warred a bit and gave the Teutonic Order one of my provinces when they asked for it.
Didn't think much about it and years later I realized I had a CB on them. A "Seize Tradepost" CB :psyduck:
Friend suggested to load up as them but I couldn't. Because they're a Theocracy :psyboom:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I'm thinking about a thing expanding the proselytization that you can do in pagan lands so that it's potentially available anywhere. Jiggering the numbers, of course, so that trying to convert independent characters of a high-authority faith has essentially no chance of succeeding, but potentially allowing you to peacefully appeal to rulers of a faith in decline. Crazy, or a good idea?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Can someone run me through real quick how you subvert a kingdom by marrying in? The AI's too smart to marry its heirs matrilineally and even lesser princes disdain random-rear end courtiers. So assuming I have a spare princess of my own and some third son to marry her to, what do I do with them to gain the kingdom without going to war?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Strudel Man posted:

I'm thinking about a thing expanding the proselytization that you can do in pagan lands so that it's potentially available anywhere. Jiggering the numbers, of course, so that trying to convert independent characters of a high-authority faith has essentially no chance of succeeding, but potentially allowing you to peacefully appeal to rulers of a faith in decline. Crazy, or a good idea?

Good idea I think, I find the idea of sending my Seeress to France to convert the infidels from their barbaric christian ways rather fun.

Speaking of fun, I just got the event with the magic axe. I love this game.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

CapnAndy posted:

Can someone run me through real quick how you subvert a kingdom by marrying in? The AI's too smart to marry its heirs matrilineally and even lesser princes disdain random-rear end courtiers. So assuming I have a spare princess of my own and some third son to marry her to, what do I do with them to gain the kingdom without going to war?

Invite someone with a strong claim to the kingdom, or a younger son of the current king, to your court. Once he's there, he won't be able to refuse your marriage proposals, so then you marry him matrilineally to your daughter. If he's in line for succession Say he's the third son) just :ese: his elder brothers 'til he's the heir. If he's not, go to war for his claim. When he and your princess have a kid, it'll be of your dynasty. Note that unless that princess is your heir, you won't actually gain the kingdom itself, you'll simply be putting a family member on the throne.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Saith posted:

Invite someone with a strong claim to the kingdom, or a younger son of the current king, to your court. Once he's there, he won't be able to refuse your marriage proposals, so then you marry him matrilineally to your daughter. If he's in line for succession Say he's the third son) just :ese: his elder brothers 'til he's the heir. If he's not, go to war for his claim. When he and your princess have a kid, it'll be of your dynasty. Note that unless that princess is your heir, you won't actually gain the kingdom itself, you'll simply be putting a family member on the throne.
They will bend the knee or be destroyed :mad:

Although I suppose a child of my dynasty with my culture would have decent odds of accepting vassalization.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Saith posted:

It's actually a better idea to kill the dude after he has the kid, as the kid then inherits the claim, and thus you can directly place the kid on the throne.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
^^^Wouldn't the kid get a weak claim though?

CapnAndy posted:

Although I suppose a child of my dynasty with my culture would have decent odds of accepting vassalization.

Depends. I'm pretty sure kingdoms will never allow themselves to be vassalized.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You murder the guy after he gives your daughter a son, then press the son's claim. May involve waiting for years and years, but when you press your grandson's claim he will become your vassal (unless the title is higher than yours).

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I followed that script as a duke only to have my grandson become my king. Woops!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Reveilled posted:

Not just any magic axe. It's clearly a +2 axe.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I accidentally disabled the button on the top of the screen that tells you can create titles, how do I get that back?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Strudel Man posted:

Not just any magic axe.

Well yes, but I didn't really want to type that seeing as its a joke and hearing the punchline before you see the joke can sometimes spoil jokes.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Beamed posted:

It's actually a better idea to kill the dude after he has the kid, as the kid then inherits the claim, and thus you can directly place the kid on the throne.

Then kill the kid and get the throne yourself, he'd probably lose it anyway.
I got a girl as raiding prisoner who was third in line to Byzantine throne and got myself on there this way, granted it was in pretty bad shape losing Anatolia and Armenia to Muslims, orthodox authority was in ruins, and ruling dynasty was done for.
After I suppressed all revolts and converted the remaining Greeks to Norse they happily raid all over Mediterranean, now I'm just waiting Muslims to have some riot so I can get the lands back.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Ghetto Prince posted:

I accidentally disabled the button on the top of the screen that tells you can create titles, how do I get that back?

It's apparently hidden away in some messages/notifications setting: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?616768-How-do-I-get-the-usurp-title-button-back

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Paradox games seem to get progressively sillier as expansions get churned out.

Has anyone gotten the Cthulhu event yet? My game as Ivar the Boneless ended with him as king of Scotland, then sacrificing himself to the Great Old Ones.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
OKay my old king just died and all of my new king's kids are with his wife in Thuringia not getting married off. Why isn't my wife finding our kids people to marry and how can I get control of my kids? Am I going to have to kill my wife?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Reveilled posted:

Well yes, but I didn't really want to type that seeing as its a joke and hearing the punchline before you see the joke can sometimes spoil jokes.
Fair enough.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Has anyone used the new Revoke Vassal thing yet? Do the guys you're revoking from always get mad, or only if you're taking away a de jure vassal?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Has anyone used the new Revoke Vassal thing yet? Do the guys you're revoking from always get mad, or only if you're taking away a de jure vassal?
Always. Less mad if it's not a de jure vassal, but still. It looks like it also always ticks off ALL your vassals, which is a little bit annoying, but I guess is just the way it goes.

Edit: Retracting a de jure vassal is -60 for 100 years (!) for the target, -15 for 5 years for all other direct vassals. Retracting non-de jure vassals is -30 for 100 years for the target, -10 for 5 years for all other direct vassals.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 12, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

It always lists 0 for me, but I've only tried it with Norse Pagans. The guy gets annoyed, but none of my other vassals do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Thank Tyr the new patch fixed the unreformed pagan supply limit being tied to their tech levels rather than yours. That made absolutely no sense at all.

• Locked thread