Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Yea, but thats weird since the guy spent like an entire paragraph railing about how lovely Saudi Arabia is for women, and then picks up on 18-loving-90 America as if it were some sort of ultra-enlightened miracle or something.

E: Maybe I am expecting too much logical consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I think some people just like to choose a point in history that bias, ignorance and nostalgia make golden for them and hold that up as some zenith of human history while glossing over every single important detail that suggests the opposite.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
1890 was such a great time for America, the average life expectancy was 45 years at birth and almost 60 at five years old, because so many young children were dying of preventable diseases. Truly the zenith of human civilization, it was all downhill once poor people started being able to not die in large numbers.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think some people just like to choose a point in history that bias, ignorance and nostalgia make golden for them and hold that up as some zenith of human history while glossing over every single important detail that suggests the opposite.

Yeah, almost everyone has some version of the "good old days" that's totally whitewashed. I was trying to explain to my friends the other day that there were no "good old days", and that things have almost always sucked more then they do today, but I think coming to understand that requires a level of nuanced critical thought most people aren't willing to engage in, especially if it just undermines their false nostalgia.

Isn't there a specific term for experiencing nostalgia for a time you never actually experienced?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

vyelkin posted:

1890 was such a great time for America, the average life expectancy was 45 years at birth and almost 60 at five years old, because so many young children were dying of preventable diseases. Truly the zenith of human civilization, it was all downhill once poor people started being able to not die in large numbers.

But, cowboys and injuns!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fandyien posted:

Yeah, almost everyone has some version of the "good old days" that's totally whitewashed. I was trying to explain to my friends the other day that there were no "good old days", and that things have almost always sucked more then they do today, but I think coming to understand that requires a level of nuanced critical thought most people aren't willing to engage in, especially if it just undermines their false nostalgia.

Isn't there a specific term for experiencing nostalgia for a time you never actually experienced?

The Good Old Days is when they were too young to be aware of what was going on around them.

For some people this is a life-long condition.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, but there wasn't any AIDS back then either! How do you explain that smart guy?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pfirti86 posted:

Yeah, but there wasn't any AIDS back then either! How do you explain that smart guy?

Well there were no gay people either, so it kinda explains itself.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

But, cowboys and injuns!

Of course, the Wild West was pretty much dead by 1890 (as were most of the Indians :smith:). The Indian Wars technically continued as isolated skirmishes and uprisings until around 1924 when the last remaining holdouts of native resistance were exterminated, but by the 1890s the 'cowboys and Indians' era was well and truly over and there were probably at most a couple thousand unsubdued Native Americans in the entire country, most of them in small, isolated bands of a few dozen or hundred.

Also, I like how he says that 'capitalism made the rights we enjoy possible' in the 1890s, despite most of those rights existing in spite of capitalism rather than because of it - things like the minimum wage, overtime pay, sick leave, the forty-hour work week, the right to unionize....of course, he probably thinks all of those things are bad and an affront to America, so it works out, in its own twisted way.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 11, 2013

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

Also, I like how he says that 'capitalism made the rights we enjoy possible' in the 1890s, despite most of those rights existing in spite of capitalism rather than because of it - things like the minimum wage, overtime pay, sick leave, the forty-hour work week, the right to unionize....of course, he probably thinks all of those things are bad and an affront to America, so it works out, in its own twisted way.

The irony here is that those concepts came out of the labor and social movements of the late 1800s/early 1900s as a backlash against exploitative capitalism. My current ECON101 professor loves to go on about how bad unions and the minimum wage are. If only they didn't exist there would be no unemployment.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Of course there would be no unemployment. Those of us unwilling or unable to do dangerous, backbreaking labor for slave wages would all have starved to death thus eliminating ourselves from competition for jobs. It's a p perfect system.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Long time lurker and whitenoise poo poo-poster, first time contributer. A person I work with is pretty religious and really into anti-semetic conspiracy theories. When it's quiet they like to talk about how the jews control 80% of the US government and their currency, the jews are going to ruin the USD somehow and then replace it with a new jew money. There is a secret war on between islam and judiaism, the freemasons are a thing and also secret jews and the Pakistani government caused the recent flooding in Pakistan by cloud seeding to get at that sweet sweet international aid money. US support of Israel over Palestine is further evidence of total jewish control, I asked why Palestine continues to exist at all? Palestine is just too strong, was the reply. Lol. Now as weird as it may sound, apart from that one minor thing, they're actually mostly* a pretty ok person.

Anyways I finally got a source from them this time and it's something I've never seen here before. The Arrivals.

http://youtu.be/le_ySMrOkFU

quote:

T he Arrivals is a series of short videos that are aimed to show us all the religious signs that prove the foundation of all requirements for the existence of the Anti-Christ, Al Mahdi and the second coming of the Christ. Each episode proves a point.

The series concentrates on the very basis of Muslim-Jew divide and goes to the olden times of Jesus Christ. The movie takes the help from Holy Quran, the Bible and the Torah. Each claim is well supported by documented facts that are well explained in the series.
The series also brings many conspiracy theories to light which are prevalent these days. It analyses the advent of the new world order and the motives of the group that want it to be put into practice.
The series doesn’t only address the muslims but it is a invitation to truth to all humankind. The series is not to propogate the muslim point of view about things rather it supports its claims from the holy books shared by the Jews and the Christians.

The series aims at clearing the misconceptions between the Muslims and the west and evaluates the basis of this divide.

The series uses English language to directly deliver the message to the Westerners. The West, if they approach properly, can form a clear and amazing image about Islam and the Middle East. The Arrivals just does that thing by using a style that’s welcoming and eye-opening for the truth seekers.

Work Inspired by Hashemsfilms and of Course the Words of the Noble Qoran, The Holy Bible, and The Torah, The Arrivals is a Joint Production by truthseekers Noreagaaa and Achernahr. The series is not copyrighted so you are free to distribute it to your friends and pals so that the message of peace and truth can be spread to the mankind.

So yay.

Oh and Malcolm X and Michael Jackson were both killed by the CIA because they were about to tell everybody islam is great. I swear to gently caress I am not making this up.

e:argh tags are hard.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm going to put in as much effort as this guy did.

Haha, I get it he's muslim.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

The series is not to propogate the muslim point of view about things rather it supports its claims from the holy books shared by the Jews and the Christians.

Which would mean that nothing from the New Testament could be used, since Jews don't share those books with Christians. Especially since Jews believe Jesus was a false messiah too.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Mitchicon posted:

My current ECON101 professor loves to go on about how bad unions and the minimum wage are. If only they didn't exist there would be no unemployment.

I've known a few libertarian douchebags who unironicly think this. Like, sure they'd make pennies doing dangerous labor, but that will make them bootstrap themselves to a better job, or die in the process! Win/win for all!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Duck_King posted:

I've known a few libertarian douchebags who unironicly think this. Like, sure they'd make pennies doing dangerous labor, but that will make them bootstrap themselves to a better job, or die in the process! Win/win for all!

These people all go on about getting rid of the minimum wage too. If only the job creators could hire people at pennies an hour there would totally be no unemployment :downs:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mitchicon posted:

The irony here is that those concepts came out of the labor and social movements of the late 1800s/early 1900s as a backlash against exploitative capitalism. My current ECON101 professor loves to go on about how bad unions and the minimum wage are. If only they didn't exist there would be no unemployment.

What upper-division classes does he teach, or what's his field of research? Or is he an adjunct?

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 12, 2013

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

Mitchicon posted:

I feel like we have the same teacher.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

What upper-division classes does he teach, or what's his field of research? Or is he an adjunct?

PhD in economics, and I'm taking Macro- and Micro-economics with him this summer to knock out a few classes before I transfer to Penn. I think he is full time faculty, but he may be an adjunct at this Community College I am at.

Duck_King posted:

I rarely ever debate an instructor because I don't like holding a class up, but then he used an excuse that the minimum wage was counterproductive because retired people and more qualified individuals would "flood the market" and deny the jobs to the poor. His example of a more qualified individual was himself, stating that McDonald's would take him with his PhD over a poor single mother for a minimum wage job. :wtc: I countered that these jobs suck, and while his "model" stated that people would preferentially take them because they're low-skill (which people often mistakenly translate to easy, which he clearly was doing) his model didn't apply to reality. There wasn't enough retirees that would want to work these jobs to flood the market, and the employers would not want him as he is overqualified (I used the current day problem of grad students having to lie on their applications to get jobs). Finally, he just stated that the minimum wage only exists so politicians can get votes. I wanted to point out that if this were true, then no major economist would support a minimum-wage, but I dropped it since my class of summer community college classmates were getting irritated (almost all of them are there to just get some credits).

Unfortunately this idea is becoming more popular, Economists such as Mankiw and Friedman largely support this idea.

EDIT: He eventually went on about how bad Unions are and that they are the reason Greece and the rest of Europe have such bad unemployment. The worst part of this guy is that he raises his voice and talks down to anyone that disagrees with him.

Mitchicon fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 12, 2013

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mitchicon posted:

words about a lunatic professor

"McDonalds wishes they could hire me! I have a PhD, you see. Compared to the rigors of reading lots of journal articles on the couch at night with Netflix on in the background, manning a 4am - 1pm shift behind the counter will be a delightful vacation!" I wonder if this guy has ever had a job that was A: outside academia, or B: not given to him by a family friend.

Instead of writing a thesis, all economics grad students should have to spend an extra year finding and working at a job under an assumed name without putting their B.A. on the application.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Mitchicon posted:

Unfortunately this idea is becoming more popular, Economists such as Mankiw and Friedman largely support this idea.

Doesn't Friedman support a minimum income, though? Like, even if you are employed or not, you are guaranteed X amount of dollars per year.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The bible says a lot of things.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Employers will hire as many workers as they need. Sure if McDonalds only paid their workers 10 cents an hour they could afford 70x as many workers, but they don't have anything for 70x as many workers to do.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Taerkar posted:

Employers will hire as many workers as they need. Sure if McDonalds only paid their workers 10 cents an hour they could afford 70x as many workers, but they don't have anything for 70x as many workers to do.

And the problem is exacerbated when you look at it from a family perspective, the family still needs a certain minimum amount of money to subsist, that means the parents would need to collectively work 10 times as many hours to hit that minimum.

If 40 hours at minimum was just enough to barely eek by on, now the family needs 400 hours to survive, both parents and all the kids will need to be working 14 hours a day, every day just to meet that same standard.

That's going to make unemployment worse, not better.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Somehow I've haven't seen this before now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy7FVXERKFE

It's a Kickstarter type movie like Red Dawn but with UN/FEMA bad guys.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Mitchicon posted:

PhD in economics, and I'm taking Macro- and Micro-economics with him this summer to knock out a few classes before I transfer to Penn. I think he is full time faculty, but he may be an adjunct at this Community College I am at.

His example of a more qualified individual was himself, stating that McDonald's would take him with his PhD over a poor single mother for a minimum wage job. :wtc:

Tell him he's already doing the PhD equivalent of burger-flipping by teaching at a community college. :colbert:

(Some people just like teaching at the community college level, but I've had several friends end up teaching at them while trying to transition out of academia or trying to work their way up to a big university.)

But seriously, this guy sounds like an obnoxious rear end in a top hat and something like a libertarian I've had the displeasure of knowing. Who kept parroting you should vote with your feet (which was his defense of why minium wage should be ended; if you don't like the job, don't take it, etc.) while slowly revealing he's had a pretty charmed life that has absolved him of ever having to practice what he preaches.

Sharkie posted:

Instead of writing a thesis, all economics grad students should have to spend an extra year finding and working at a job under an assumed name without putting their B.A. on the application.

I would support this for grad students in general. The most douchey grad students I know (in chemistry/biochemistry/polymer science) are the ones that have never had a minimum wage job or anything that wasn't in academia or industry.

Content:

Has this been posted? I found it on the wall of a guy that has made it clear he supports any sort of meddling in the lives of minorities and wants to know why we aren't at war with Iran or Syria right now.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Mitchicon posted:

I rarely ever debate an instructor because I don't like holding a class up, but then he used an excuse that the minimum wage was counterproductive because retired people and more qualified individuals would "flood the market" and deny the jobs to the poor. His example of a more qualified individual was himself, stating that McDonald's would take him with his PhD over a poor single mother for a minimum wage job. :wtc:
Ahahaha. Ask me about my first couple of jobs and falsifying my credentials--deliberately omitting my Master's degree and other work--because I wasn't getting any callbacks for being "overqualified." (Note: while I deliberately left stuff off my resume, I immediately cleared things up when/if I got interviews.) I just wanted to get some experience (and pay the rent), but apparently I was not expected to apply for any job but my perfect match position on the Starship Enterprise as a Medieval Poetry Education Officer.

I followed up with one employer who said, "Well, we didn't want to hire you because we figured you'd be bored and bring a bad attitude to the job." :suicide: Hilariously, that employer hired internally for that position and spent two years waiting for the person to finish a project I could've done in six months. But I bet she wasn't bored!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Pocket Billiards posted:

Somehow I've haven't seen this before now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy7FVXERKFE

It's a Kickstarter type movie like Red Dawn but with UN/FEMA bad guys.

The depiction of oppression in this trailer makes it clear the writer has never experienced it in his life. It's stiff and stale, a childish fantasy written by someone with a privileged point of view who has a persecution complex. It limply tries to co-opt imagery from 1984 and the civil-rights movement in a weird pastiche, but with no heart, passion, or understanding of the work/movement. Almost masturbatory in a way.

Maybe it's the lovely indie actors and low budget, but I cringe at the idea of a movie by a guy who probably thinks 'teabagger' is an insult as grave as friend of the family-human being.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 12, 2013

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

LtStorm posted:

I would support this for grad students in general. The most douchey grad students I know (in chemistry/biochemistry/polymer science) are the ones that have never had a minimum wage job or anything that wasn't in academia or industry.
Why stop at grad students? Everybody should have to spend a year working at McDonalds or some similar minimum-wage job, or on a road crew or similar hard labor, or just any other job where degrees and silver spoons count for nothing. Government-mandated experience of the real world.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

quote:

Friedman largely support this idea.

Freidman also supported a guaranteed minimum income to deal with the fact the market isn't going to solve the issue of poverty, and also having a large underclass of people with little buying power isn't really good for a functioning market. Somehow I get a feeling your teacher will never mention this fact because current people who love Freidman are more interested in FYGM than actually trying to improve the market and society. Your teacher seriously won't do it though because

quote:

His example of a more qualified individual was himself, stating that McDonald's would take him with his PhD over a poor single mother for a minimum wage job. :wtc:

he's a loving idiot. How do you make it to PhD level and say something this inane.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It'd be fun to fill out pairs if applications to a number of minimum wage jobs in the area, one as the PhD and the other as a poor single mom.

The truth is that he's probably less qualified than 90% of applicants, he probably thinks that McDonald's is easy work.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

darthbob88 posted:

Why stop at grad students? Everybody should have to spend a year working at McDonalds or some similar minimum-wage job, or on a road crew or similar hard labor, or just any other job where degrees and silver spoons count for nothing. Government-mandated experience of the real world.

I vaguely remember Mao trying to do something like that. Farmers in the universities, Doctors in the farms. Made a big mess of things.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

These people all go on about getting rid of the minimum wage too. If only the job creators could hire people at pennies an hour there would totally be no unemployment :downs:

Employers already hire people for free. They just call it an unpaid internship, because you should be so lucky that the employer is even willing to give you the time to train you and give you job experience!

(never mind the fact that most unpaid internships are illegal, and they are in today's terms the equivalent of slave labor)

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The truth is that he's probably less qualified than 90% of applicants, he probably thinks that McDonald's is easy work.

This is a major problem in our society as people think low wage jobs are "easy" and require zero skill. They're loving lovely, exhausting, and require more skill than people like to think. Anyone who thinks otherwise should read Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed. If that doesn't change your mind, you're an rear end in a top hat.

Well, if only I had a PhD, I could get a cushy job working fast food.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LowellDND posted:

I vaguely remember Mao trying to do something like that. Farmers in the universities, Doctors in the farms. Made a big mess of things.

The people who thought they were above manual labor hated it, but it's one of the reasons rural Chinese people often remember Mao fondly.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

seiferguy posted:

Employers already hire people for free. They just call it an unpaid internship, because you should be so lucky that the employer is even willing to give you the time to train you and give you job experience!

(never mind the fact that most unpaid internships are illegal, and they are in today's terms the equivalent of slave labor)

Some good news in the world! http://ow.ly/lXtp6

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Just saw this on my feed. Apparently this is something people believe:

My life as an American has been so difficult since I can't speak Spanish :freep:

The person who posted it actually was ranting against the post, then his friends started chiming in and it's become a post of horribleness. It can best be summed up as "God if they're in MY country, why can't they just learn English? How hard is it? :smug: "

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 12, 2013

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Just saw this on my feed. Apparently this is something people believe:

My life as an American has been so difficult since I can't speak Spanish :freep:

The person who posted it actually was ranting against the post, then his friends started chiming in and it's become a post of horribleness.

I take it he is a Navajo/Cherokee/etc. refusing to learn English? :v:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That jacket or whatever looks like it's made from the same 'leather' that's around the stick-shift in my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Mitchicon posted:

I take it he is a Navajo/Cherokee/etc. refusing to learn English? :v:

Strange that he would express his opinion in a language foreign to him, then.