Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stormgale posted:

Not to put a damper on your parade Korlac but how do you think you are going to get the toys to play around with in your house, they said that they were drops and quest rewards which probably involves quite a bit of grinding to get them. I mean I am looking forward to wild star myself but that is because I still enjoy the MMO style which it does not appear to diverge from massively.

Edit: We have no idea about the sub model apart from "Hybrid", maybe we should make it the new thread title cause it keeps coming up?

I expect it to be like LOTRO, where SOME of the unique housing stuff, like boss heads, come from raids/dungeons, but you can still get an enormous variety from vendors, events, quests, etc.

vvvv Are you allowed to be leaking that? :stare:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
From what I played of it, you can buy virtually everything if you have enough money, but it can start getting really pricey when you get to the bigger/fancier stuff. It's likely going to be the main gold-sink of the game.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Stormgale posted:

Not to put a damper on your parade Korlac but how do you think you are going to get the toys to play around with in your house, they said that they were drops and quest rewards which probably involves quite a bit of grinding to get them. I mean I am looking forward to wild star myself but that is because I still enjoy the MMO style which it does not appear to diverge from massively.

Edit: We have no idea about the sub model apart from "Hybrid", maybe we should make it the new thread title cause it keeps coming up?

We already saw that one of the trade skills was architect to produce stuff for your house, which I plan on going. Will I have all the premium toys, no. But I imagine there'll be enough to play with that you won't NEED to have all the premium toys from the raids and pvp.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I expect it to be like LOTRO, where SOME of the unique housing stuff, like boss heads, come from raids/dungeons, but you can still get an enormous variety from vendors, events, quests, etc.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

miscellaneous14 posted:

From what I played of it, you can buy virtually everything if you have enough money, but it can start getting really pricey when you get to the bigger/fancier stuff. It's likely going to be the main gold-sink of the game.

What does this mean? Housing stuff and mounts, or are talking like equipment and more?

Shoobis
Nov 10, 2009
I really hope they don't plan on having a monthly subscription for this game. Asking people to pay monthly for MMOs is pretty much over and only WoW and EVE can pull it off.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Shoobis posted:

I really hope they don't plan on having a monthly subscription for this game. Asking people to pay monthly for MMOs is pretty much over and only WoW and EVE can pull it off.

I wish they could, as in 90% of cases you pay much, much less for a whole, complete, no-strings-attached game for a subscription fee than you do if you play a 'free to play' game and get nickle and dimed to death. But, like you said, it just isn't viable any more. People tend to be grossly offended by rather small monthly fees but then end up spending tons on microtransactions - or they get to play a grindy, miserable game that occasionally doles out one or two cents worth of microtransaction currency after hours of work and expects you to be grateful for the handout.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The issue isn't that people aren't willing to pay a sub or give money if they like a game, it's that it's very hard to bring in new people when you are a sub model and there are a lot of F2P games out there. Rift held a solid sub base for 2 years and did a fantastic job delivering content, but all the praise in the world doesn't matter if you can't keep getting new people in the door. Our guild size has quadrupled just in the weeks leading UP to f2p, it doesn't actually launch until Wednesday. I don't mind subs, a lot of people don't mind subs, but having them as required leaves a large market chunk that won't even try your game.

I just hope they have a hybrid option where I can sub if I like it, and never have to deal with lockbox bullshit or have to put more money into a cash shop.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

I wish they could, as in 90% of cases you pay much, much less for a whole, complete, no-strings-attached game for a subscription fee than you do if you play a 'free to play' game and get nickle and dimed to death. But, like you said, it just isn't viable any more.

I've put hundreds of hours into Dota 2 and GW2 each without spending a dime on the cash shops and I've never felt inconvenienced by that. It's funny that you think subs provide a no-strings-attached game, bullshit time sinks and "you can only do this instance once a week because gently caress you" says hi. If the death of subscription fees mean the end of artificially dragging and padding out the content in MMOs, then good riddance.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Wolpertinger posted:

I wish they could, as in 90% of cases you pay much, much less for a whole, complete, no-strings-attached game for a subscription fee than you do if you play a 'free to play' game and get nickle and dimed to death. But, like you said, it just isn't viable any more. People tend to be grossly offended by rather small monthly fees but then end up spending tons on microtransactions - or they get to play a grindy, miserable game that occasionally doles out one or two cents worth of microtransaction currency after hours of work and expects you to be grateful for the handout.

Neither Tera or GW2 are like this. There are other games that are. If a game has a lovely cash shop be mad at that game. My personal preference is f2p, and as long as it isn't obnoxious like DDO, LOTRO and NWN then it'll be fine. If it's a sub game, I may not bother with it. Not because I am opposed to subs but this game hasn't wow'd me. It looks cool. It looks neat. It doesn't look throw 60 bucks at it and then pay a sub fee good though. Not for a BC era WoW clone anyway.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Neither Tera or GW2 are like this. There are other games that are. If a game has a lovely cash shop be mad at that game. My personal preference is f2p, and as long as it isn't obnoxious like DDO, LOTRO and NWN then it'll be fine. If it's a sub game, I may not bother with it. Not because I am opposed to subs but this game hasn't wow'd me. It looks cool. It looks neat. It doesn't look throw 60 bucks at it and then pay a sub fee good though. Not for a BC era WoW clone anyway.

I did say most, not all - it's just that so many games gently caress it up so incredibly awfully that it seems more like an exception that proves the rule - GW2 did it pretty drat well, but to be fair it has an initial buy-in. I know pretty much zero about Tera's system, though. I'm just kind of bitter over dealing with so many good or potentially good games that get shat on by ridiculously greedy microtransactions or DLC or whatnot. I'm not saying that this always happens, just that it happens enough that I wish it wasn't pretty much the only option for MMOs nowadays as I don't really trust enough companies to not be greedy dicks when they can start charging for every little thing.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Personally, I still think the best setup is to have both, and be f2p but offer a subscription with some desirable benefits beyond the standard more character slots and and such. As long as you don't lean too far in either direction, either making too much stuff that has to be bought regardless or making too much that's 'free' to subscribers, you pretty much get the best of both worlds. Admittedly actually hitting that point is easier said than done.

Edit: Nevermind that last bit, thought this was the Neverwinter thread for some reason. Dunno how that happened, lack of sleep probably.

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 9, 2013

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

General Maximus posted:

Personally, I still think the best setup is to have both, and be f2p but offer a subscription with some desirable benefits beyond the standard more character slots and and such. As long as you don't lean too far in either direction, either making too much stuff that has to be bought regardless or making too much that's 'free' to subscribers, you pretty much get the best of both worlds. Admittedly actually hitting that point is easier said than done.

Edit: Nevermind that last bit, thought this was the Neverwinter thread for some reason. Dunno how that happened, lack of sleep probably.

City of Heroes did this well. Subscribe and you get a lot of good stuff, like free points for the cash shop every month, access to some special content and such. You could also get everything with points if you wanted to, but subscribing just worked so much better if you played the game a lot.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
It's not like there's a whole lot of alternatives if people don't like your pricing. Nobody is going to say 'I could get this in GW2/Rift/Aion for 25% less' and leave when all of their friends are playing Wildstar. There's not much reason not to gouge in the first few months while people are hysterical about getting to 80 and buying lifetime subs and new mice and whatnot. The boon of DLC and micro-transactions is a pretty good indicator that people playing games aren't terribly price sensitive given the mileage you get out of an MMO. Just look at the number of people here who say they got their $60 out of a game during beta.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 9, 2013

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

Hunter Noventa posted:

City of Heroes did this well. Subscribe and you get a lot of good stuff, like free points for the cash shop every month, access to some special content and such. You could also get everything with points if you wanted to, but subscribing just worked so much better if you played the game a lot.

I think LOTRO now works in a similar manner and for whatever reason it just never sat right with me. As has been said, the cash shop just feels a bit obnoxious, even if you were a VIP member you're encouraged to use it with the free Turbine tokens.

I much prefer GW2's way of doing things where I've been able to play on/off since release and haven't felt the need to spend a penny on the cash shop. That is of course until they struck gold with Quaggan backpacks.

I guess I just hope that the cash shop is discreet, regardless of whether there is a sub or not.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Korlac posted:

What does this mean? Housing stuff and mounts, or are talking like equipment and more?

I meant the housing specifically. I'm sure there will be house stuff that requires doing content first, but for the most part it was just about having enough gold.

Which is clever, I just hope to god that there'll be a way to get money at endgame other than doing boring dailies.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

miscellaneous14 posted:

I meant the housing specifically. I'm sure there will be house stuff that requires doing content first, but for the most part it was just about having enough gold.

Which is clever, I just hope to god that there'll be a way to get money at endgame other than doing boring dailies.

Ha, I think Clam Down and I had a different interpretation of your post.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Heskie posted:

I think LOTRO now works in a similar manner and for whatever reason it just never sat right with me. As has been said, the cash shop just feels a bit obnoxious, even if you were a VIP member you're encouraged to use it with the free Turbine tokens.

At the same time though, having the store in addition to the subscription lets them make more stuff overall, in theory. Apologies from bringing up City of Heroes yet again, but... Before the game went free, players got a new power set or two every other major content update, and each one had a handful of new missions and maybe a new zone if they could squeeze it in. After the game went free there were new power sets in every major update plus new missions and new zones. And on top of that they were bringing out costume sets and power sets and missions in the store as well.

All that extra stuff that was in the store could only be done BECAUSE it was in the store and they could charge extra for it. The devs outright said at one point that if they hadn't charged extra for those things, they wouldn't have been able to make them at all because they wouldn't have had the resources to do it. I haven't played LOTRO but I'd be willing to bet the same applies there, if they hadn't had the store none of the stuff that's in it would've existed at all.

The key is to make that extra stuff in the store not something you absolutely require, but at the same time something desirable enough to justify paying extra for. Which, again, is easier said than done. The paid power sets and costume packs in CoH managed it, though.

Not that that in any way stops players on forums everywhere complaining about paying more for more stuff than they'd be getting otherwise and demanding that it all be free with the subscription, effectively demanding that the devs cut their paychecks in half but do the same amount of work. If someone asked that of you, would you do it?

Actually, here's an idea. A f2p game with subscription where you actually do get absolutely everything included with the subscription. BUT, the subscription is $30 per month instead of the standard $15. Would that be more or less offensive than paying a $15 subscription and a little extra if you want more?

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002
The reason I bring up LOTRO is because I remember the F2P model being highly praised at the time, but I couldn't see why.

A big part of the cash shop was purchasing 'Quest packs', which to me made the game feel like an arcade slot machine, "Please insert £5 to continue". Of course, these quest packs were fundamental to levelling and while it was possible to earn the points to purchase these packs in-game, it required a certain level of meta-gaming to ensure you'd completed the correct achievements etc. to get together enough points.

GW2 on the other hand doesn't have anything like this, the cash shop is cosmetic items, temporary exp boosters and such. The actual game is available in its entirety, with monthly (albeit temporary) events and content updates to game.

I think my gripes with a cash shop even for VIP members mainly comes down to immersion :supaburn: and I realise thats my problem, not the game's.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

Arzachel posted:

I've put hundreds of hours into Dota 2 and GW2 each without spending a dime on the cash shops and I've never felt inconvenienced by that. It's funny that you think subs provide a no-strings-attached game, bullshit time sinks and "you can only do this instance once a week because gently caress you" says hi. If the death of subscription fees mean the end of artificially dragging and padding out the content in MMOs, then good riddance.

That's why I think that those games are the best bangs for your buck.

Think of Dota 2. It's basically loving free, and look at the re-playability on it. People have been playing for years, without spending a dime. Games like that are truly the best.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

General Maximus posted:

Actually, here's an idea. A f2p game with subscription where you actually do get absolutely everything included with the subscription. BUT, the subscription is $30 per month instead of the standard $15. Would that be more or less offensive than paying a $15 subscription and a little extra if you want more?

More.

Here's the thing. Even at 100k subs, which is not a particularly high number, you're looking at 1.5 mil monthly just in subscriber revenue. Even assuming you're paying an incredibly high corporate tax rate (which you probably won't be) you're still looking at over a million per month. If you're blowing through 1M+ per month, you're probably doing something wrong. And if you've only managed to attract and retain 100k players, again, you're probably doing something wrong. There are quite a few subscription-based games out there besides WoW that have managed to retain far more than that, despite being fairly niche.

Realistically F2P + cash shop, B2P + cash shop, B2P, and subscription are all viable financial models. The game itself determines whether or not the game succeeds, not the financial model. As I've pointed out previously in this thread - there is no demonstrable correlation between cash shops and increased development output when it comes to playable content. Content overall, maybe, although even that's arguable. The main common thread has been that a significant chunk of development time gets devoted simply to creating more content specifically for the cash shop, leaving less overall to be devoted to actual gameplay content. Hence the slowed release rate, with a more shallow offering in each release.

The only real outlier I can think of to that pattern is Star Trek Online. LOTRO certainly doesn't qualify, as much as people like to tout it.

I'm genuinely hoping that Wild Star does go with a subscription model - or more specifically, a hybrid model similar to what SOE uses. It's kept their games kicking long past what anyone would've expected, and kept the release rate and depth almost identical to that of its pre-F2P conversion existence.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzachel posted:

I would love to encounter an F2P MMO with a cash shop that works like Dota 2's. That shop really is only cosmetic. With Guild Wars 2, I suppose one could argue that the cash shop is purely cosmetic (since most of the rewards you can earn in the game are cosmetic and the cash shop can't meaningfully help you get Ascended gear), but combined with the way that content tends to be temporary these days, and the way a lot of new content is so closely tied with the gem shop (custom arenas), it never really feels that way. You can absolutely play GW2 without spending a dime on the gem shop (as you have, for example), but it always felt to me that he game was not-so-subtly pushing me towards it the whole time. Perhaps if the ways in which one can earn gold in GW2 were more fun and varied, I wouldn't feel that way, since there'd be more ways to earn gold to exchange for gems.

I guess if WildStar had a cash shop similar to GW2's but with an optional subscription that gave you a certain amount of cash shop stuff every month, I'd be pretty happy, and would probably opt for the subscription option.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 10, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

I would love to encounter an F2P MMO with a cash shop that works like Dota 2's. That shop really is only cosmetic. With Guild Wars 2, I suppose one could argue that the cash shop is purely cosmetic (since most of the rewards you can earn in the game are cosmetic and the cash shop can't help you get Ascended gear), but combined with the way that content tends to be temporary these days, and the way a lot of new content is so closely tied with the gem shop (custom arenas), it never really feels that way. You can absolutely play GW2 without spending a dime on the gem shop (as you have, for example), but it always felt to me that he game was not-so-subtly pushing me towards it the whole time. Perhaps if the ways in which one can earn gold in GW2 were more fun and varied, I wouldn't feel that way, since there'd be more ways to earn gold to exchange for gems.

While there are huge issues with temporary content in GW2, you're wrong to say it's tied to the gem store (it's due to an incredibly stupid way that Anet views "living world" stuff), and a "lot of new content" is NOT closely tied with it. As you said, only custom arenas are, which are a part of sPvP therefore worthless and ignored by a lot of people. There is no other actual content in the gem store, just cosmetics and boosts.

I'm looking forward to Wildstar having a cash shop, I didn't like that model when it first came out due to having more time than money, but these days I have more money than time and being able to buy a lot of poo poo without wasting weeks farming for it is fantastic.

Luckily and unluckily simultaneously, Wildstar is from NCSoft so it will have a blatant cash shop whether you like it or not.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

I would love to encounter an F2P MMO with a cash shop that works like Dota 2's. That shop really is only cosmetic. With Guild Wars 2, I suppose one could argue that the cash shop is purely cosmetic (since most of the rewards you can earn in the game are cosmetic and the cash shop can't meaningfully help you get Ascended gear), but combined with the way that content tends to be temporary these days, and the way a lot of new content is so closely tied with the gem shop (custom arenas), it never really feels that way. You can absolutely play GW2 without spending a dime on the gem shop (as you have, for example), but it always felt to me that he game was not-so-subtly pushing me towards it the whole time. Perhaps if the ways in which one can earn gold in GW2 were more fun and varied, I wouldn't feel that way, since there'd be more ways to earn gold to exchange for gems.

I guess if WildStar had a cash shop similar to GW2's but with an optional subscription that gave you a certain amount of cash shop stuff every month, I'd be pretty happy, and would probably opt for the subscription option.

But GW2 has a game money to cash shop money auction house also. That is really all i require from cash shop games, put whatever you want in there but if i can play the game and earn cash shop money it doesn't matter one bit. Some people have more time than money, some more money than time, having a game money to cash shop money conversion system gets both groups working for each other.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

quote:

...but combined with the way that content tends to be temporary these days...

This is something developers need to STOP DOING. That is all. If I can log in after a six month or a year break during which there have been several major content updates and not be able to experience any of that new content, all I'm going to do is log right back out again for another six months to a year. At the very least, have something like CoH's Ouroboros or WoW's Caverns of Time, and stick all the outdated stuff in there rather than removing it outright so anyone coming back doesn't get dicked out of content just because they chose, or often times didn't choose to not be playing while it was available.

But back on the cash shop = more content idea, yeah you're right that there's no real correlation in general between a cash shop and more content. I was trying to point it out as a possible advantage rather than a definite one, but really in the end it comes down to how good the dev team is at making new content. And that in turn often comes down to how stupid the publisher is post release. So many MMOs get made and published by people who don't seem to understand that MMOs by their very nature require ongoing development. They treat it like any other game, and the moment it's released they fire half the dev team and reassign most of the other half to other projects but still expect the few people remaining to put out big chunks of content every few months. Then the game inevitably dies because a few months becomes a year because of the lack of manpower, and players grow bored and move on to the next new shiny. And once that happens, the majority of those lost players will never be back.

Also regarding attracting only 100k players meaning you're doing it wrong... why? If you remove the massive outlier that is WoW and average the rest it probably doesn't come out at much more than that. Not every game has to be the next WoW. In fact, you're probably likely to be more successful if you don't try to be.

Edit because someone posted while I was typing:

quote:

...having a game money to cash shop money conversion system gets both groups working for each other.

This works pretty well in some games, Star Trek Online being probably the best example off the top of my head. It works well when there's things on both sides of the equation that all players want. I want Zen to buy shiny new ships with their fancy gimmicks, but at the same time I want Dilithium to buy endgame gear or upgrade my fleet's base. In GW2 though, it doesn't work. Because there's not really much you can get with gold that's worth having except for maybe crafted gear off the auction house if you didn't bother levelling the skill yourself, which you didn't because you can do a few dungeon runs to get the same gear with infinitely less effort. But there's heaps of shiny stuff people want in the cash shop, so everyone wants to buy gems but not many people want to buy gold so the exchange rate just goes up and up and up until buying gems becomes wholely impractical unless you're a bot. It's a balance that has to be carefully maintained for the system to work.

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 10, 2013

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
You need insane amounts of gold for legendaries.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

malhavok posted:

You need insane amounts of gold for legendaries.

And all the quasi-legendaries, like Infinite Light and the fiery gladius thing, and a full set of exotics isn't cheap, and bank/bag slots without buying gems, or anything with T6 mats...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

While there are huge issues with temporary content in GW2, you're wrong to say it's tied to the gem store (it's due to an incredibly stupid way that Anet views "living world" stuff), and a "lot of new content" is NOT closely tied with it. As you said, only custom arenas are, which are a part of sPvP therefore worthless and ignored by a lot of people. There is no other actual content in the gem store, just cosmetics and boosts.

Well, to be honest, I haven't seriously played since October. I just remember the holiday stuff being tied very closely to the gem shop in such a way that there weren't a whole lot of rewards to be earned via actual gameplay. If the new content is different then I retract that accusation.

As for the legendaries and quasi-legendaries, my frustration with those has more to do with the Mystic Forge than anything. If those items required the exact same amount of playtime that they do now, but instead had questlines to get them, or (for the quasi-legendaries) were just really rare drops, I'd be so much less bothered by them. I think I'd be much more deeply in love with GW2 if its gameplay-earned rewards were earned directly instead of indirectly through accumulating currency.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 10, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ It still has nothing to do with the gem store, which is specifically what you said. Hate on the RNG all you want, I do too, but you're getting things mixed up.

Harrow posted:

Well, to be honest, I haven't seriously played since October. I just remember the holiday stuff being tied very closely to the gem shop in such a way that there weren't a whole lot of rewards to be earned via actual gameplay. If the new content is different then I retract that accusation.

If you haven't played since October, you only hit the Halloween holiday I guess? Yeah, things are different since then, and Anet actually listened to feedback about holiday events, the new dragon festival starting tomorrow looks awesome.

e: It's really confusing to me in this thread, you're not the first one, how people have commented quite a bit on GW2 but have (for the most part) not played it in many months. Things change and have changed quite a bit, this is the same for any game. It doesn't make sense to base your opinion of something on an out of date experience.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 10, 2013

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you haven't played since October, you only hit the Halloween holiday I guess? Yeah, things are different since then, and Anet actually listened to feedback about holiday events, the new dragon festival starting tomorrow looks awesome.

e: It's really confusing to me in this thread, you're not the first one, how people have commented quite a bit on GW2 but have (for the most part) not played it in many months. Things change and have changed quite a bit, this is the same for any game. It doesn't make sense to base your opinion of something on an out of date experience.

True. I've dropped back in for a week at a time a few times, and mostly been scared off by the "living world" stuff (it's really demotivating for me to feel like I have to do it now or I'll never get to). But you're right that I (and others) jump to conclusions with GW2 more than I would with other games.

If this dragon festival thing looks promising maybe I'm due for another check in.

Edit:

CLAM DOWN posted:

^^^ It still has nothing to do with the gem store, which is specifically what you said. Hate on the RNG all you want, I do too, but you're getting things mixed up.

I think it's more of a perception thing for me. Gating a lot of things beyond mountains of gold in a game where you can "legally" buy gold with real money feels to me like I'm being subtly pushed to do that, even just a little bit, to take some of the edge off the grind. I recognize that others might not feel that way though (like all the people who've played GW2 for a long time without buying anything aside from the software itself).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 10, 2013

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Wonder if we'll see anything from WS at E3 Tomorrow. Have they made any announcements?

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Al Borland posted:

Wonder if we'll see anything from WS at E3 Tomorrow. Have they made any announcements?

Just that they have a booth at E3 where you can try out the game for yourself.

I don't think they'll reveal any information like the unannounced races or classes at E3.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Yeah I think everything is pretty much out there that needs to be. I really am looking forward to people's reception of the game though. Hopefully some reviews come up.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

a 16 year old girl posted:

I don't think they'll reveal any information like the unannounced races or classes at E3.

Seems like a wasted opportunity to be honest. Now's the time to keep the momentum up on the game and keep people excited.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Korlac posted:

Seems like a wasted opportunity to be honest. Now's the time to keep the momentum up on the game and keep people excited.

It's dangerous to try and maintain and build on momentum if they're going to run out of material to hype before they actually release. GW2 went really quiet about a year before they finally released, and it really killed a lot of the press momentum that it had going.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Bunch of class skills, separated by tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av47hXpBJvukdGlUaEZtQU1ud05KUmhPNjFBazhZLVE#gid=0

E: Didn't know there were class specific milestones. Neat.

rap music fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 11, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Korlac posted:

If the game has an announced release date, it would make sense to hype it up. It's still likely quite a ways away and it would be a waste to build excitement now and have it fall off.

Bullroarer
Mar 1, 2013

Khaba posted:

It's dangerous to try and maintain and build on momentum if they're going to run out of material to hype before they actually release. GW2 went really quiet about a year before they finally released, and it really killed a lot of the press momentum that it had going.

They had some of the devs on the Wildstar Central podcast and they were jabbering about not actually expecting or wanting the amount of hype they were getting this early. They were expecting 20,000 beta applications and got 200,000.

I worry that they might be tempted to release stuff early and not push the hype when it is most needed.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Bullroarer posted:

They had some of the devs on the Wildstar Central podcast and they were jabbering about not actually expecting or wanting the amount of hype they were getting this early. They were expecting 20,000 beta applications and got 200,000.

I worry that they might be tempted to release stuff early and not push the hype when it is most needed.
They are still part of NCSofts big three newer western releases (along with GW2 and B&S.... someday), and for all GW2s faults, "when it's ready" worked out in keeping hype and goodwill going to the point where I see the phrase parroted around other games as well (yeah, they didn't invent it, but they certain helped spread it).

I'm inclined to say that NCSoft has learned a lesson about the risks of releasing an MMO early, so that's not really a worry for me. Wildstar has many other risk factors that have to do with the game itself, not the least of which is whether all their many ideas for 'layered content' works out to a coherent game or a mish-mash mess.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

GhostBoy posted:

They are still part of NCSofts big three newer western releases (along with GW2 and B&S....

B&S got pushed back to 2014 and that is aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
I think part of the reason that it's getting the hype that it's currently getting is that there's a whole group of MMO players who have finished up playing whatever it was that got them started, and just haven't been able to find the game to satisfy that MMO itch.

I mean look at this thread, I've been seeing the same names appear in all the various MMO threads. One day guys. We'll find that MMO that cures the itch, at least for awhile.

• Locked thread