Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Download Europa Barbarorum and see that sleep gone for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The original Rome and Barbarian Invasion is the daily deal on STEAM, if you don't mind the old school clunkyness and weird design choices pick it up!

What's the deal with Alexander never being bundled with the rest of RTW?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

brozozo posted:

The Brian Blessed premium.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

Download Europa Barbarorum and see that sleep gone for months.

I could never get it installed right. Wonder if they updated the installer or something in 2 years since I've tried.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I could never get it installed right. Wonder if they updated the installer or something in 2 years since I've tried.

Last time I tried it didn't need any special effort, and that was, I want to say within a year

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

brozozo posted:

No clue, but just as curious to know why.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Trip report: really all it's doing is reminding me how awesome Rome 2 is going to be. The loss of Quality-of-life upgrades really hurts. Especially when it comes to sieges.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

RentACop posted:

Last time I tried it didn't need any special effort, and that was, I want to say within a year

Was probably just me being stupid, but it felt clunky and complicated at the time though I suppose that's EB in general?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So I've completed an Oda campaign in the vanilla campaign (and thanks to my benefactor up-thread, by the way), and now I'm fiddling with the Tosa in FotS. Does anyone have any tips on winning naval battles? My ships just seem to bumble around, panic and then sink. So far my only naval victories have been through auto-resolve. Is there anything I should be doing in first-person mode? Currently I'm facing an enemy Kasuga (large-ish corvette) with my Kaiten (medium-ish corvette) and a pair of Chiyo-whatevers (cowardly gunboats). He tends to land a load of broadsides on me as I steam up, since all he has to do is rotate in place to keep his guns trained on me.

EDIT: If worst comes to worst, I'd be very interested in a mod that disables morale for ships. I just want to bang steamboats together in the bathtub. :v:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

So I've completed an Oda campaign in the vanilla campaign (and thanks to my benefactor up-thread, by the way), and now I'm fiddling with the Tosa in FotS. Does anyone have any tips on winning naval battles? My ships just seem to bumble around, panic and then sink. So far my only naval victories have been through auto-resolve. Is there anything I should be doing in first-person mode? Currently I'm facing an enemy Kasuga (large-ish corvette) with my Kaiten (medium-ish corvette) and a pair of Chiyo-whatevers (cowardly gunboats). He tends to land a load of broadsides on me as I steam up, since all he has to do is rotate in place to keep his guns trained on me.

EDIT: If worst comes to worst, I'd be very interested in a mod that disables morale for ships. I just want to bang steamboats together in the bathtub. :v:

Explosive shells turn wooden ships into kindling. The computer rarely builds ironclads.

Putting two and two together: If you're playing vanilla, make a beeline to explosive shells and you'll never lose a naval battle again.

For extra "never lose", also go down the foreign trade port side of the Civil tree so you can get a foreign trade mission. Foreign-built ironclads can be built very early in the game if you beeline for them, and they can single-handedly take down entire fleets of wooden ships if they have explosive shells.

By the way, even if they say they're copper-plated or armor-plated, they're still just as vulnerable to explosive shells. Anything that isn't a Kotetsu, a La Gloire, a Warrior, or a Roanoke is a bonfire waiting to happen.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It's so pretty. :allears:

Edit: Some more E3 pictures and stuff if anyone's interested.

Endman fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 12, 2013

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I love how bright it is. The Mediterranean looks gorgeous there.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

:circlefap:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Vengarr posted:

Explosive shells turn wooden ships into kindling. The computer rarely builds ironclads.

Putting two and two together: If you're playing vanilla, make a beeline to explosive shells and you'll never lose a naval battle again.

For extra "never lose", also go down the foreign trade port side of the Civil tree so you can get a foreign trade mission. Foreign-built ironclads can be built very early in the game if you beeline for them, and they can single-handedly take down entire fleets of wooden ships if they have explosive shells.

By the way, even if they say they're copper-plated or armor-plated, they're still just as vulnerable to explosive shells. Anything that isn't a Kotetsu, a La Gloire, a Warrior, or a Roanoke is a bonfire waiting to happen.

To expand on this, the real reason why full ironclads are enormously superior isn't actually being invulnerable to explosive shells, though that helps - the real killing factor is that they all have greater range than basic ships. Combine this with the lethality of the upgraded shells and basically you can sink fleets while they're still steaming up to you. Don't be fooled by the fact that the Kotetsu has only one gun, because not only does that gun have incredible range, it's also forward-facing, allowing you to kite enemies by steaming into range and then going full reverse for the rest of the battle.

Personally I like getting advanced AP shells when I can, since explosive shells aren't QUITE as effective against copper-plates and up, and more importantly they're less accurate and shorter-ranged. Advanced AP might not gently caress up wooden ships quite as quickly, but they're still effective enough to turn bad guys into kindling before they trundle into range, and they hit more often at better ranges.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Tomn posted:

Don't be fooled by the fact that the Kotetsu has only one gun, because not only does that gun have incredible range, it's also forward-facing, allowing you to kite enemies by steaming into range and then going full reverse for the rest of the battle.

Yea, the three Kotetsu set-up pretty much killed what was left of Fall naval multiplayer since all you had to do was set all three to reverse and they could pound any fleet to scrap. Unless the other guy had Kotetsus, then I guess both sides just sat there and fired away until one lot sank/exploded.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow it is gorgeous! While I value gameplay much more than graphics, it doesn't hurt a game to look pretty. Also nice details that the cities/settlements don't all look the same.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Shouldn't those Pyramids be smooth :spergin:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Same feelings with the campaign map reveal. So bright and shiny.

Now, I wonder what type of music we'll get on the campaign map?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Same feelings with the campaign map reveal. So bright and shiny.

Now, I wonder what type of music we'll get on the campaign map?

I'm expecting some sweet light orchestral theme, but not Jeff Van Dyck's usually really chill string themes like in Rome1/Shogun2.

Still don't understand why he isn't working on this at all.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I'm expecting some sweet light orchestral theme, but not Jeff Van Dyck's usually really chill string themes like in Rome1/Shogun2.

Still don't understand why he isn't working on this at all.

It's the dude who did Empire and Napoleon's music so it will probably be pretty drat good.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I've always been impressed with the scores of these games.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lord Tywin posted:

It's the dude who did Empire and Napoleon's music so it will probably be pretty drat good.

Oh no Napoleon owns, Richard Beddow owns, don't get me wrong. I just wonder why they didn't bother to ask Jeff at all. Dude never got any correspondence before they made Beddow the only composer.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lord Tywin posted:

Really? People liked the scores to Empire and Napoleon?
I thought that they were painfully generic and lacked the character of Jeff van Dyck's work.
I can't really recall any pieces that stood out from either of those two games.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Oh no Napoleon owns, Richard Beddow owns, don't get me wrong. I just wonder why they didn't bother to ask Jeff at all. Dude never got any correspondence before they made Beddow the only composer.

That's really weird considering Jeff did the score for that live action trailer they did, maybe they wanted Jeff for the alien ip?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lord Tywin posted:

That's really weird considering Jeff did the score for that live action trailer they did, maybe they wanted Jeff for the alien ip?

Aw who knows, I'm just bummed since Jeff did a lot of the really iconic Total War tracks and I'm a huge fan of his composition style. (DRUMS EVERYWHERE) :drum:

Warriors March / Divinitus / Destiny / Duke of Death / Battle of Tollan / Beautiful Blade / Tsunami / Ona Hei

All really good tracks, All Jeff.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

concerned mom posted:

I know they stripped the marble facing off the Pyramids for Cairo but weren't there already going to be tomb robbers by now? It has been like 2000 years since they built them to this time period.

Also, is there any TWC rage about how the full campaign minimap is all squeezed into a square instead of to exact scale thread yet? Otherwise it looks pretty as gently caress and thank god I'm going to be upgrading for this game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

concerned mom posted:

The Great Pyramids were as ancient to the Romans as the Romans are to us. Blows your mind how loving old they are.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Oh my goodness the cities have unique graphics, CA has read my mind.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

concerned mom posted:

The time between the construction of the pyramids and Cleopatra's reign is longer then the time between Cleopatra's reign and today so those pyramids look sort of accurate after people pilfered the shiny plating and they do look less worn then their appearance today.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Jesus CHRIST that campaign map looks magnificent.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Has there been any word if Rome 2 will support borderless windowed mode or cursor lock? I get really sad when new games don't have these basic (in my opinion) quality of life features.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anyone else noticed that there are large areas of empty space in one of the screen shots of Alexandria and when we see it (presumably later) those spots have been filled with a hippodrome, the same with the little side village, its changed size and shape because more stuff has, presumably, been built. Its as if they animated my loving dreams!

As well as that I think the little icon above the mini map of a flame means your level of political influence. That and it is good to see that the diplomatic, champion and spies change garments and/or genders as we've seen several different models for them already, maybe it depends which "tree" you put them down.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 12, 2013

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The game looks fricking gorgeous. So nice that the cities change appearance depending on their size and what specific buildings you build in them. I just hope it's true that if your PC can run Shogun 2, it can also run Rome 2. I really can't afford to upgrade my PC at the moment.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
Oh christ that map is incredible. The release date is September 3rd apparently, which is sooner than I thought.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Asehujiko posted:

The time between the construction of the pyramids and Cleopatra's reign is longer then the time between Cleopatra's reign and today so those pyramids look sort of accurate after people pilfered the shiny plating and they do look less worn then their appearance today.

Since I love history topics like this (although I used wikipedia to verify my assumption :cripes:):

quote:

In AD 1300, a massive earthquake loosened many of the outer casing stones, which were then carted away by Bahri Sultan An-Nasir Nasir-ad-Din al-Hasan in 1356 to build mosques and fortresses in nearby Cairo.

So I think they should be covered. But it's a minor detail that doesn't bother me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Deakul posted:

Really? People liked the scores to Empire and Napoleon?
I thought that they were painfully generic and lacked the character of Jeff van Dyck's work.
I can't really recall any pieces that stood out from either of those two games.

Empire was pretty bland and generic, but Napoleon sounded pretty drat good.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

a bad enough dude posted:

Oh christ that map is incredible. The release date is September 3rd apparently, which is sooner than I thought.

I am on overtime pay from July till September 15, so I think I know what it is getting spent on!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I find out tomorrow if I get a promotion or not...if I do, my first fancy managerial paycheck is going toward this game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Empire was pretty bland and generic, but Napoleon sounded pretty drat good.

I suppose I could lay off on Napoleon a bit, at least it actually had some variety to its music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tomn posted:

To expand on this, the real reason why full ironclads are enormously superior isn't actually being invulnerable to explosive shells, though that helps - the real killing factor is that they all have greater range than basic ships. Combine this with the lethality of the upgraded shells and basically you can sink fleets while they're still steaming up to you. Don't be fooled by the fact that the Kotetsu has only one gun, because not only does that gun have incredible range, it's also forward-facing, allowing you to kite enemies by steaming into range and then going full reverse for the rest of the battle.

Personally I like getting advanced AP shells when I can, since explosive shells aren't QUITE as effective against copper-plates and up, and more importantly they're less accurate and shorter-ranged. Advanced AP might not gently caress up wooden ships quite as quickly, but they're still effective enough to turn bad guys into kindling before they trundle into range, and they hit more often at better ranges.

I personally have seen no difference in how quickly a copper or iron-plated ship catches fire vs. a wooden ship, and I have played a lot of Fall lately. Nor is there any real reason to kite the computer, since they don't build ironclads and rarely seem to have AP shells. If you have an ironclad, just put on explosive shells and charge their asses.

My last game was a Legendary campaign with the Jozai. A La Gloire, a Kotetsu, and a Kaiyo Maru sank thirty enemy ships--no joke. It was also the first and only time I've lost an ironclad to the enemy, as the Kotetsu caught fire, decided to flee rather than try to fight the flames, and sank.

I say "to the enemy" because I've managed to torpedo my own ironclads twice. Torpedo boats are fun, but for sanity's sake, keep them well away from your main battle line.