Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
As much as I love the Ashot, I'm too in love with the animations of the Shambler. Ramshackle revolver shotgun :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
The ashot seemed like it did crazy damage and it reloaded fast. I put the long barrel and lazer on it and used it to murder mutants.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm doing my first run nonlethally because sniping out all the lights and then running through the darkness punching everybody in the face is both easy and fun. However, I now got to a "bossfight" that consists of a small square room with no good cover at all, in daylight and a huge amount of enemies constantly shooting me from above. What am I supposed to do here? Is this the "forced to kill" area mentioned in the achievement?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Mushball posted:

So how do I get my hands on a Azbat exactly? I haven't seen one offered at any vendors or on any opponent wielding that belt-fed buckshot spewing monstrosity.

On Ranger mode I found a couple laying around and saw it in some stores (I'm pretty sure they had it in the refugees trapped in the tunnel store, because I think that's where I slapped upgrades on mine). I think it doesn't show up on regular mode.

Coughing Hobo posted:

As much as I love the Ashot, I'm too in love with the animations of the Shambler. Ramshackle revolver shotgun :allears:

I'm mad that it doesn't have a bayonet anymore :mad:

Asehujiko posted:

I'm doing my first run nonlethally because sniping out all the lights and then running through the darkness punching everybody in the face is both easy and fun. However, I now got to a "bossfight" that consists of a small square room with no good cover at all, in daylight and a huge amount of enemies constantly shooting me from above. What am I supposed to do here? Is this the "forced to kill" area mentioned in the achievement?

Are you outside...? Your use of the word "room" makes me think not, but this sounds like a boss fight later on in the game that takes place outside.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 11, 2013

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Yes, there is a "Unless forced to" conditional on it. I think that particular fight is a "forced" region as there is no way to progress without taking out the upper ring of guys.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Sloober posted:

Yes, there is a "Unless forced to" conditional on it. I think that particular fight is a "forced" region as there is no way to progress without taking out the upper ring of guys.

Yes there is, if you wait long enough they will start popping out on the ground level, and the doors will open. Do not blow your no-kill playthrough by killing here.

Literally the only person you have to kill in the game is the flamethrower dude, it's possible (on easy difficulty) to even get through the chase without killing anybody.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Sardonik posted:

Yes there is, if you wait long enough they will start popping out on the ground level, and the doors will open. Do not blow your no-kill playthrough by killing here.

Literally the only person you have to kill in the game is the flamethrower dude, it's possible (on easy difficulty) to even get through the chase without killing anybody.
I'm now at this part, is the flamethrower guy the only "free" kill or can I shoot the riot shield guys too because I haven't found a non-lethal way to deal with those.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Asehujiko posted:

I'm now at this part, is the flamethrower guy the only "free" kill or can I shoot the riot shield guys too because I haven't found a non-lethal way to deal with those.

Someone a few pages back mentioned killing the riot shield guys and still getting the achievement. Since it's the end of the game it's not like you'd have to replay a large amount to test it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sardonik posted:

Ahh, i sat around a while after frantically looking around the entire area and nothing happened. Irritating point.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

PureRok posted:

Someone a few pages back mentioned killing the riot shield guys and still getting the achievement. Since it's the end of the game it's not like you'd have to replay a large amount to test it.
I eventually just loaded my AK 2012 up with gold, stood on the barricade and shot the flamethower over the shields.

Didn't get the achievement.

So the belt fed shotgun only shows up on dlc difficulty, right?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

I eventually just loaded my AK 2012 up with gold, stood on the barricade and shot the flamethower over the shields.

So the belt fed shotgun only shows up on dlc difficulty, right?

You probably accidently or purposefully looted the filters off guys you knocked unconcious in one of the ambush areas.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Asehujiko posted:

Did you kill anyone at any point in your playthrough and then restart a checkpoint? Apparently any kill you make in a playthrough still counts against you even if you restart a checkpoint/chapter.

Sloober posted:

You probably accidently or purposefully looted the filters off guys you knocked unconcious in one of the ambush areas.

That doesn't count.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Wiseblood posted:

Did you kill anyone at any point in your playthrough and then restart a checkpoint? Apparently any kill you make in a playthrough still counts against you even if you restart a checkpoint/chapter.
Yes. Coding an achievement like that is loving retarded though.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Yes, as confirmed by 4A, the only human enemies you may kill without invalidating the achievement are those found on the 'Chase', 'Red Square' and 'D6' levels. As has been noted, once this achievement is invalidated for a playthrough, reloading from a checkpoint will NOT restore your progress; you must instead restart the entire game. Life in the Metro is.. unforgiving.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Not being in love with my weapon load out has helped a lot with being low on ammo.

It does kind of make upgrading your weapons pointless though.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Asehujiko posted:

Yes. Coding an achievement like that is loving retarded though.

Honestly? I'd suggest people do what I did:

Sardonik posted:

For those who like me felt cheated you can get the Shadow Ranger by going to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro LL\1100001015a5a92 and moving or renaming user.cfg. Then playing through the final level and Only killing the train and the flamethrower guy (and maybe shield guys).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Or you could get Gibbed's program that lets you unlock whatever achievements you want if you really have to have it.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the game force the 100 military rounds on you if you buy the Ranger pack? I'm considering picking up this game, but only if I don't have to deal with contradictory (BUY THIS MODE THAT MAKES THE GAME HARDER! also you get a bunch of bullets at the start to make the game easier if you do) bullshit.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ranger mode isn't necessarily harder, just different.

And if it really bothers you you can just fire off those 100 rounds at the very beginning.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Actually, Ranger mode is way easier than any of the normal modes on any difficulty. Things actually dying when you shoot them tends to make things easier.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Plus you get the Abzats :toot:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Isn't the Abzats is what you get from buying the Season pass? You can get it in D6, and you can pick it up from: the Depot and Quarantine vendors, and for free somewhere in the Dead City level. Pretty sure it shows up in all modes.

Stuntman posted:

Does the game force the 100 military rounds on you if you buy the Ranger pack? I'm considering picking up this game, but only if I don't have to deal with contradictory (BUY THIS MODE THAT MAKES THE GAME HARDER! also you get a bunch of bullets at the start to make the game easier if you do) bullshit.

I justified it as "about how much ammo I had left at the end of 2033."

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Yeah, it's hard to finish Metro 2033 with less than 500 MGR unless you're buying random guns left and right.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I just went hog wild and shot all my MGR at the end of 2033.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I forgot MGR's were an actual ammo type in 2033. In last light, I actually had to dip into them after that loving cavern boss. At least now I know how to conserve ammo there.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I think part of the problem is there isn't really anything worth buying. You get everything you need from scavenging, more-or-less. If we were a 'normal' citizen I bet keeping so much ammo would be difficult. It's not like we have a family, house, or have to buy food. That's one way to rationalize having so much.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

PureRok posted:

I think part of the problem is there isn't really anything worth buying. You get everything you need from scavenging, more-or-less. If we were a 'normal' citizen I bet keeping so much ammo would be difficult. It's not like we have a family, house, or have to buy food. That's one way to rationalize having so much.

Pretty much my only problem with Survarium is that I keep wishing it would be a Metro game.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

PureRok posted:

The one time I ever used a store was to buy and upgrade a Valve to the best extent I could with all my money, lo and behold I take less then 15 steps into the next level and there is an even better Valve sitting out in the open. I didn't pick it up out of stubborn refusal to waste 130 MGR's and I carried my purchased Valve for the rest of the game, never dropping it even after it ran out of ammo several dozen times. Never touched a gun store again. There needs to be a far greater incentive to spend rounds, I think more guns and upgrades that can only be purchases from the gun store would accomplish this. So people don't end up getting a laser-sight reflexed Valve at the first store that sells them and stumbling across a laser-sight 4x Valve with a flash suppressor 30 seconds later for free.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Great news, everyone, the RPK is available for purchase on Steam for just 99 cents! I mean, only the most pitiable of souls would drop a dollar on a preorder gun that's already present in the game data! I certainly wouldn't!

I did. :smithcloud:

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
After cursory testing i have decided that the one true way to play this game is as a Trader.

That is: Sell all your ammo and weapons ever time you find a vendor. And don't you think about shooting that military grade stuff, you need that to bathe in when you come home to your Hansa mansion. I recommend hardcore.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Leb posted:

Great news, everyone, the RPK is available for purchase on Steam for just 99 cents! I mean, only the most pitiable of souls would drop a dollar on a preorder gun that's already present in the game data! I certainly wouldn't!

I did. :smithcloud:

It's totally sweet all tricked out. Probably worth a buck. With the laser sight and the 2x scope you have short-medium and long range covered, and the drum mag is nice for infinite mutant attack while you wait on some slow rear end transportation to come to you sections.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Dogen posted:

It's totally sweet all tricked out. Probably worth a buck. With the laser sight and the 2x scope you have short-medium and long range covered, and the drum mag is nice for infinite mutant attack while you wait on some slow rear end transportation to come to you sections.

The section on the swamp can be avoided by turning on the generator and just running off back toward that broken concrete arch and staying under it. Once the machine turns off, the creatures will go away. Run in, turn it back on, repeat. Then just go hop on when it arrives.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Killstick posted:

After cursory testing i have decided that the one true way to play this game is as a Trader.

That is: Sell all your ammo and weapons ever time you find a vendor. And don't you think about shooting that military grade stuff, you need that to bathe in when you come home to your Hansa mansion. I recommend hardcore.

I'm not intentionally doing this, but my no kill RHC run is pretty much this, since I have no need to use my guns/ammo.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

PureRok posted:

The section on the swamp can be avoided by turning on the generator and just running off back toward that broken concrete arch and staying under it. Once the machine turns off, the creatures will go away. Run in, turn it back on, repeat. Then just go hop on when it arrives.

I claymore those asshats. They aren't too hard to fight anyhow. Was thinking more of the bell ringing section, and driving forward while shooting backwards.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Scyron posted:

I'm not intentionally doing this, but my no kill RHC run is pretty much this, since I have no need to use my guns/ammo.

Pretty much this. I keep a suppressed Shambler in my first slot to deal with mutants and always grab the most expensive/pimped out gun for my second slot which I then promptly sell.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
This loving boss fight at the swamp is making me want to fly to Ukraine and punch the devs in the face.

It was a bitch to beat in normal mode but now that I am replaying in Ranger difficulty I can't seem to pass this thing. I wasted all my shotgun and assault rifle ammo on the thing and it seems to keep coming. This is not even the final section of the fight but the second time you fight him after crossing over with the boat. Is there a trick to beating this poo poo boss I am not aware of? :smith:

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

keyframe posted:

This loving boss fight at the swamp is making me want to fly to Ukraine and punch the devs in the face.

It was a bitch to beat in normal mode but now that I am replaying in Ranger difficulty I can't seem to pass this thing. I wasted all my shotgun and assault rifle ammo on the thing and it seems to keep coming. This is not even the final section of the fight but the second time you fight him after crossing over with the boat. Is there a trick to beating this poo poo boss I am not aware of? :smith:

gently caress this thing, it probably took me ten tries to kill on ranger.

I ended up ending the fight in like 30 seconds. Try to get it to walk over a nade or claymore. This can stun it for a few seconds, so use the time to continue to blow it the gently caress up and get close before dumping everything you can into its stomach.

I used almost every single bullet and grenade I had on it, but if you do it right it will barely get a chance to do anything at all. It will get repeatedly stunned and staggered. The problem was that if I missed more than the tiniest amount of shots I would run completely out of ammo... one attempt had me knifing it for a good 5 minutes before I just gave up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

keyframe posted:

If only you had a ZOE MAX. :iamafag:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

keyframe posted:

Don't shoot unless you know you're not going to hit it's armor. I think hitting it in it's open mouth does extra damage as well. Use claymores and grenades. Ignore all of the little ones your fellow rangers should take care of those relatively quickly.

I didn't have too much trouble with this thing. Maybe you're not damaging it when you think you should be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Before triggering the fight set up a line of claymores leading back to where you came from, facing the church. When the boss comes out slowly walk backward on this line. It will die.

• Locked thread