Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

:drat: That is sexy as man. How do you (did you?) like the prices of any European car in Adelaide? I wish I had a garage.. totally envious of you in any case!

e: post in the Aus AI check in!

fingerling fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

turnerburna posted:

What city were you in? I'll take a wild guess and say you were in midtown when it happened. I have the same car (pg 173) and I always get worried about leaving it somewhere overnight because of the wheels.

Close. Corktown, in front of Slows. I heard about break-ins, but not thefts there, especially with our push button starts. Guess they just push them down the street with other cars when there's an opening (and it was only left for a little over two hours).

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Due to reasons I no longer have my Volvo S80 that I only got like a month ago, but on the plus side now I have this.

2012 Volvo S60 T5 with 16k miles.

I am pretty drat happy with it. I might miss the leather, but I park outside and I live in Texas so gently caress it. This car is a lot of fun.

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander

Darko posted:

Close. Corktown, in front of Slows. I heard about break-ins, but not thefts there, especially with our push button starts. Guess they just push them down the street with other cars when there's an opening (and it was only left for a little over two hours).

Hour and a half wait? There is a parking lot with an attendant behind Mercury Bar which is basically the only safe spot for a car. That area of Michigan Ave is really bad for car break-ins (Red Smoke in Greektown is pretty good without the hype wait/theft).

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Just traded in my crumbling FRS for this thing

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

fingerling posted:

:drat: That is sexy as man. How do you (did you?) like the prices of any European car in Adelaide? I wish I had a garage.. totally envious of you in any case!

e: post in the Aus AI check in!

Guh, everything here is overpriced, although the R36 was a relative bargain. When I bought mine (new in 2008), in Europe the R36 was more expensive than the BMW 335i X-Drive that we don't even get here - and about half the price of a 335i here. I thought that was a pretty good deal until I realised that the same amount of money in the US would have put me in an M3/C63 or very nearly in to a 911.

That said, it's a great car. It's an RS6's baby cousin, and about one quarter the price. No mechanical issues, either, unlike my previous Holdens and Toyotas. It does love petrol, though, especially the way I drive it (manually with flappy paddles and an aversion to anything above third gear if I can avoid it).

I've recently ordered an A45 to replace a 2006 Golf GTI (for my mother, but I'll drive it and the A250 Sport was boring). I don't even want to think about the money or what I could buy with it in another market... :(

Finch! fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 12, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Linux Nazi posted:

Big improvement IMO, curious, what was crumbling about the FR-S?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In a departure from the sporty vehicles, I picked this up a week ago from my folks. it has already come in super handy for moving poo poo around.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

That was quick.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Das Volk posted:

Big improvement IMO, curious, what was crumbling about the FR-S?

In ways, but I still love the way the FRS handles. I love the STI also, but it drives like a monstrously sized vehicle compared to the dainty FRS.

The FRS had a slew of first year issues that are documented elsewhere, but the final straw was the breakup I started getting over 5k RPM. like a quiet machine gunning cork-popping sound, loud enough for passengers to ask about it. I figured it was the AZ heat vs. the lovely 20w oil until I found out that there's a TSB for it.

I just feel like every time I had to take the loving thing in I had to hound the dealership to fix it. I never was able to get the lovely 1st/2nd/6th gear shift to work like it should, and I think I started to bother them by bringing my new car in so often trying to make it "not be poo poo" and "work, pretty please". Maybe they couldn't hear me over the constantly squelching fuel pump.

Was able to trade it in for $900 less than I owed, but since the trade in saved me over 1900 in sales tax it wasn't a total wash.

Comrade Flynn posted:

That was quick.

I had the FRS for 11 months! I stopped counting the days in the shop at 25, shoulda lemoned the thing but I was never able to stay mad at it for long.

lathode
Mar 29, 2010
New ride, 2013 Civic Si.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Linux Nazi posted:

In ways, but I still love the way the FRS handles. I love the STI also, but it drives like a monstrously sized vehicle compared to the dainty FRS.

The FRS had a slew of first year issues that are documented elsewhere, but the final straw was the breakup I started getting over 5k RPM. like a quiet machine gunning cork-popping sound, loud enough for passengers to ask about it. I figured it was the AZ heat vs. the lovely 20w oil until I found out that there's a TSB for it.

I just feel like every time I had to take the loving thing in I had to hound the dealership to fix it. I never was able to get the lovely 1st/2nd/6th gear shift to work like it should, and I think I started to bother them by bringing my new car in so often trying to make it "not be poo poo" and "work, pretty please". Maybe they couldn't hear me over the constantly squelching fuel pump.

Was able to trade it in for $900 less than I owed, but since the trade in saved me over 1900 in sales tax it wasn't a total wash.

I had the FRS for 11 months! I stopped counting the days in the shop at 25, shoulda lemoned the thing but I was never able to stay mad at it for long.

At over 30 days you were definitely eligible for a full refund via the lemon law. Remember it isn't the car as much as it's the manufacturer's defective product(s) that you're reporting.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

From this thread's earlier gushing about RPF1's looking good on just about anything :cool:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/11/honda-fielding-11-entrants-at-pikes-peak-including-532-hp-odyss/#continued

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

djfooboo posted:

From this thread's earlier gushing about RPF1's looking good on just about anything :cool:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/11/honda-fielding-11-entrants-at-pikes-peak-including-532-hp-odyss/#continued
I too usually agreed with the thread about RPF1s and when I saw them available for my mustang that I recently bought I got pretty excited.

I dont think Ill be doing it though. Somethings not quite right.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Cage posted:

I too usually agreed with the thread about RPF1s and when I saw them available for my mustang that I recently bought I got pretty excited.

Counterpoint Google Image Search:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Press Release posted:

Modifications to the Odyssey include a turbocharged, intercooled 3.5-liter V6 engine; six-speed transmission and limited-slip differential from the Acura TL product line; racing suspension and brakes, including 19-inch BBS wheels equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires; and a full competition roll cage.

Huh.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Linux Nazi posted:

I often regret not ordering my '11 5-door in that PBP, it is just so gorgeous! Great pickup, now fix those terrible headlamps. Why Subaru decided to do that '12+ is beyond me. I had lightwerkz completely rework my headlamps, s2000 projects and a full blackout, the results were beautiful.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

Was able to trade it in for $900 less than I owed

I had the FRS for 11 months!

:staredog:

Man you took a bath on that. A year of payments plus whatever you put down and you still lost $900 on the trade.

If it was so bad you should really have tried to lemon it instead of lose all that cash.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lol, it even says Enkei near rear tire :iiam:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Cage posted:

Your proportions are wrong, the wheels need to be larger on a Mustang application, also that picture makes it look like you have monster truck suspension.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

turnerburna posted:

Hour and a half wait? There is a parking lot with an attendant behind Mercury Bar which is basically the only safe spot for a car. That area of Michigan Ave is really bad for car break-ins (Red Smoke in Greektown is pretty good without the hype wait/theft).

Yeah, I knew about the break-ins, which is why I emptied the car of stuff before going. I didn't know people pushed parked cars down the street to steal them though, haha. But the DPD told me, when I reported it, that they have caught that happening quite a few times downtown.

Slows is overrated by far, I agree. I was at Sugar House next door, but it's easier to just say "Slows" to explain it to people :)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Darko posted:

I didn't know people pushed parked cars down the street to steal them though, haha.

Bwahahaha, like with wheel dollies?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Bwahahaha, like with wheel dollies?

That would be hilarious, but sadly, no - they get other cars and push them down the street until they get to a side street where they can stuff them somewhere to take the wheels/radio/speakers/whatever. Detroit is so empty in some areas that you can have one main traveled street and multiple crossing desolate wastelands with abandoned houses there where you can easily stuff things.

In retrospect (didn't even consider this before it happened), the issue is that anything with 20" wheels is prime to take like that because of the biggass chrome rim culture that are popular in urban areas - otherwise they mostly just break windows if anything that looks reasonably steal-able is inside. Six Speed Challenger RTs pretty much come with 20" chrome plated by default, whereas my Mustang was never touched at all for years of going in that area because it had 18" non-chromes. Whoops.

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 12, 2013

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Darko posted:

That would be hilarious, but sadly, no - they get other cars and push them down the street

Here is video showing the whole process. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6OQZVVl37A
Makes me :tinfoil: about owning nice wheels. It even happens to stock honda civic si's.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like the idea of hoodlums walking up and down the street looking at tire size codes to figure out if a car has 20s or just 19s.

Maybe the increased insurance rates will finally stop making manufacturers put 20 inch wheels on their goddamn crossovers.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't think they want any of my 10 20" wheels. I would like to see them try, though, especially the side with the left hand threaded lugs.

(ref. custom title)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If someone tried to push the 5-ton down a street they'd have more problems than just left hand threaded lugs.

I'm guessing they would start with "shattered wrists from when the steering column collapsed against the differential mount and drove itself into the drivers' forearms" and end with "total internal decapitation from rear bumper license plate mount."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You have a point...

(28" SUV tire for size reference)

It's not really a ride right now though, it's more of a "sit in it and make motor noises and wish I could register it" :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cage posted:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Bovril Delight posted:

:staredog:

Man you took a bath on that. A year of payments plus whatever you put down and you still lost $900 on the trade.

If it was so bad you should really have tried to lemon it instead of lose all that cash.

I didn't put anything down on it, and I'm getting 1100 back on the warranty.

I looked into exercising the lemon law, and found out its just not that cut and dry. Hence why I stopped counting the days. I have better things to do than obsess over my car, I looked into trading it in as a graceful way out and it worked for me.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Here is video showing the whole process. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6OQZVVl37A
Makes me :tinfoil: about owning nice wheels. It even happens to stock honda civic si's.

The top comments on that video make me oh so proud to be an American.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
A little late to the E30 M3 chat...

But god drat. You sir are awesome.

But really the E30 M3 was quick for its day, but not all that quick now. Its a light weight car with good power to weight ratio with about the best suspension geometry out there.

Really that and the 190E Cosworth were brilliant cars in their day, and still quite brilliant today.

Congrats sir!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

No audio here at work, but it looks like they're making it seem like only a Caddy can have it's window broken, throw it in neutral, and push it down the road :confused:

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
^^^
They say it's a Tahoe in the video. Nothing exclusive to Cadillac in the video.

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Wheel locks. Before anyone says "sure but with effort you can take those off," the goal of wheel locks is not to be impenetrable, but just to make it hard enough that the thieves choose another car.

I have wheel locks on my wheels, they were like 20 bucks and I think they're a pretty cheap (if not totally effective) deterrent when you live in a big city.

edit: these are the ones I have, if you want to go whole hog then get more than one set and have more than one lug locked on each wheel.

Marvin K. Mooney fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 12, 2013

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But really the E30 M3 was quick for its day, but not all that quick now. Its a light weight car with good power to weight ratio with about the best suspension geometry out there.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the E30 M3, and I own 2 E30s... but I would disagree. Rear trailing arms suck.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like the idea of hoodlums walking up and down the street looking at tire size codes to figure out if a car has 20s or just 19s.

Maybe the increased insurance rates will finally stop making manufacturers put 20 inch wheels on their goddamn crossovers.

The new Escalade has goddamn 22's bone stock, completely ridiculous. Pretty funny how GM stopped putting a locking steering column on their fullsize trucks. Makes me wonder what the profit margins on an Escalade are, not to mention the 'hybrid'.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Lightbulb Out posted:

Now don't get me wrong, I love the E30 M3, and I own 2 E30s... but I would disagree. Rear trailing arms suck.

Yup. The Z-link they started using with the e36s is pretty much objectively better. But subjectively I think everyone loves how the semi-trailing arms feel on a lower powered car like an e30. A little more tail happy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Voltage posted:

The new Escalade has goddamn 22's bone stock, completely ridiculous. Pretty funny how GM stopped putting a locking steering column on their fullsize trucks. Makes me wonder what the profit margins on an Escalade are, not to mention the 'hybrid'.

The profit margins are insane. The truck alone is about 65-75ish. And its really just a fancy Tahoe (AWD transfer case, air load assist suspension and a few other features that I cant really think of).

But really, my ex in laws had them. They all just sucked, there was always some electrical gremlin in it. I know RR's have issues, but I swear her parents Denali & Escalade were always in the shop.

Quick rant: Her folks owned 3 Denali's and 1 Escalade. They claimed they were never about "Money". Right......

They were just awful people, but they acted big in a town of 1000 people. Of course its easy to have money in a small town because the cost of living is so cheap. If they actually lived in a real city they would be just ordinary people.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The profit margins are insane. The truck alone is about 65-75ish. And its really just a fancy Tahoe (AWD transfer case, air load assist suspension and a few other features that I cant really think of).

But really, my ex in laws had them. They all just sucked, there was always some electrical gremlin in it. I know RR's have issues, but I swear her parents Denali & Escalade were always in the shop.

Quick rant: Her folks owned 3 Denali's and 1 Escalade. They claimed they were never about "Money". Right......

They were just awful people, but they acted big in a town of 1000 people. Of course its easy to have money in a small town because the cost of living is so cheap. If they actually lived in a real city they would be just ordinary people.

There seems to be a lot of unresolved issues in this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Where did this get posted in the thread? I interviewed to work at HMA and two of my former colleagues work there as engineers. I think they needed someone right away and I wasn't graduating for 8 months, unfortunately.

EDIT: I see it now. That car is fielded by one of the Honda plants, the one that builds the Odyssey. They have a facebook for the car and seem like a bunch of very grass roots we do this as a hobby because we love it types.