Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

RandallODim posted:

Having just rewatched the episode, it was definitely just a badly phrased line. The lines are supposed to parse as "He was a henchman for some prick in a butterfly costume! Two [henchmen] actually!" Because Venturestein was technically two henchmen, who are now one Venturestein.

This is the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008
I think you guys are misinterpreting the line, seemed like he was explaining venturesteins ridiculous origin and mocking his former attire to discredit him as leader, not lumping together the monarch and Dr. Girlfriend's style choices.

Edit: beaten

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Another question about the authors : does Jackson Publick have more experience as a VA than Doc Hammer from previous work? He seems to have a greater range and the list of characters he voices is just huge.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

X_Toad posted:

Another question about the authors : does Jackson Publick have more experience as a VA than Doc Hammer from previous work? He seems to have a greater range and the list of characters he voices is just huge.
Looking on imdb, they pretty much got started on Venture Bros. I think Publick's just a better natural voice actor and he does have a way bigger range. Pretty much everyone who works in cartoons makes silly voices constantly, it comes with the territory.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Scroto Baggins posted:

I thought that at first too, but on a second watch last night, I noticed that the general said the jPad was loaded with explosives, the cherry icon just activates those. There's no bomb in Venturestein.

Also, I'm pretty sure Congresswoman Gillian Jacobs calls it an iPod before she explodes. The jPad didn't kill her, Apple did!

She said jPad.

I wonder if j stands for Jonas...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GigaPeon posted:

She said jPad.

Remember the iPod ad with Jonas on it? I'm thinking that JJ basically owns Apple. That and the Jpads in the previous episode had Venture Industries logos on them.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
My money is on Jonas going the rusty route and slapping c4 and a reskin on an ipad and then renaming it jpad.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

SRM posted:

Remember the iPod ad with Jonas on it? I'm thinking that JJ basically owns Apple. That and the Jpads in the previous episode had Venture Industries logos on them.

but Jonas innovates things and therefore cannot be owner of Apple. :v:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
You know I rewatched that episode where Henry von Killinger made Rusty a supervillain, and I actually think it would've been fun for at least a few episodes.

VENCHMANNNNNNN!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

I'm trying to remember, have we ever seen Hatred actually use physical force, or otherwise show that he might have above average strength?

Couple pages back, but I just watched the Butter-Glider episode, and Hatred pretty much saves the day in that one.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Couple pages back, but I just watched the Butter-Glider episode, and Hatred pretty much saves the day in that one.
That was through ingenuity and quick thinking though, he didn't display any sort of super-strength. I'm not sure Brock would have needed to weaken the glass before crashing through it, for example.

Of course, one thing to keep in mind about Hatred is that he's definitely not in his prime anymore. He's the oldest of the regular cast after all, and he didn't age gracefully.

Amedeus
Jun 8, 2013

Oh, now, look at me, I'm fulla holes. But you! What's the deal, here?

Scroto Baggins posted:

I thought that at first too, but on a second watch last night, I noticed that the general said the jPad was loaded with explosives, the cherry icon just activates those. There's no bomb in Venturestein.

Well, I mean, there is a bomb in Venturestein. I think that's where all the confusion's emanating from. The reanimated corpses all have bombs inside of them in order to kamikaze the enemy. But they themselves detonate their own bombs. That's why Venturestein never blew up. He realized what was going on and chose not to.

The jPad has its own bomb inside that, as you say, is activated with the cherry bomb icon on the jPad itself.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So how many times has the X-1 crashed now?

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

GigaPeon posted:

She said jPad.

...H I J K L M N...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hatred's been shown holding his own while struggling with Gary/21, so he's not entirely out of shape.

Silver Gadget
Apr 17, 2006

Entropic posted:

So how many times has the X-1 crashed now?

I think its only three right? Once by a giant magnet in Ünderland/Michigan, then that assassin shoots it down in season 4, and then this episode. I thought it was more. And who keeps repairing it? Is it just one of those things Rusty is actually good at like the cloning, or was it one of Brock's many job? They'll probably end up fly coach or drive a beat up 92 Honda civic to their next adventure.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Amedeus posted:

Well, I mean, there is a bomb in Venturestein. I think that's where all the confusion's emanating from. The reanimated corpses all have bombs inside of them in order to kamikaze the enemy. But they themselves detonate their own bombs. That's why Venturestein never blew up. He realized what was going on and chose not to.

The jPad has its own bomb inside that, as you say, is activated with the cherry bomb icon on the jPad itself.

The bomb was around their necks, I thought. Those flashing collars. But, yeah, that's pretty much why I was confused the 1st time I saw the episode.

edit:
After this scene, they don't wear the collars any more.

text me a vag pic fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 13, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Pope Guilty posted:

Hatred's been shown holding his own while struggling with Gary/21, so he's not entirely out of shape.

He's also pretty competent with a rifle.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Blind Sally posted:

He's also pretty competent with a rifle.

Shore Leave would beg to differ.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gary would more.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Silver Gadget posted:

I think its only three right? Once by a giant magnet in Ünderland/Michigan, then that assassin shoots it down in season 4, and then this episode. I thought it was more. And who keeps repairing it? Is it just one of those things Rusty is actually good at like the cloning, or was it one of Brock's many job? They'll probably end up fly coach or drive a beat up 92 Honda civic to their next adventure.

Jonas had a mostly automated factory to produce X1s on the compound, and when he kicked the bucket Rusty managed to work out how to fully automate it so he didn't have to keep paying the workers. Simple.

Amedeus
Jun 8, 2013

Silver Gadget posted:

It also crashes in the Christmas special, and sort of crashes on the way to Mike Sorayama's funeral. And I'm sure there are plenty more that we're both forgetting. But supersonic jet crashes are just so much fun to watch, is it any wonder?

Scroto Baggins posted:

The bomb was around their necks, I thought. Those flashing collars.

Ah, good catch. I didn't even remember those collars. Makes sense, though.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

JetsGuy posted:

You know I rewatched that episode where Henry von Killinger made Rusty a supervillain, and I actually think it would've been fun for at least a few episodes.

VENCHMANNNNNNN!

Ha Ha, you said it Jetsy! An you can read more about it in the Bible!

Killinger is a great side character, but I don't know who he could help next. Gary maybe?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Killinger is a great side character, but I don't know who he could help next. Gary maybe?

Dean. Or Sergeant Hatred.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

GigaPeon posted:

She said jPad.

No, she definitely called it an iPad.

Amedeus
Jun 8, 2013

Billy and Pete White? I don't think Orpheus would go for it. The forming of the Revenge Society kind of ruined a lot of good prospects, too. It would be fun to see him try and help somebody who doesn't want to be helped, though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

X_Toad posted:

That was through ingenuity and quick thinking though, he didn't display any sort of super-strength. I'm not sure Brock would have needed to weaken the glass before crashing through it, for example.

Of course, one thing to keep in mind about Hatred is that he's definitely not in his prime anymore. He's the oldest of the regular cast after all, and he didn't age gracefully.

He does push through a bunch of tranq darts to do it, but yeah even that episode puts a point on how old and out of shape he is.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Scott Hall

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Scroto Baggins posted:

The bomb was around their necks, I thought. Those flashing collars. But, yeah, that's pretty much why I was confused the 1st time I saw the episode.

edit:
After this scene, they don't wear the collars any more.

Oh poo poo, I think those might be clone slugs. So many callbacks...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love that they're wearing cast-off shirts from the various sweatshops making expensive designer shoes/brand shirts in the country.

Bondii
May 31, 2003
King of The Cider Farm

Friends Are Evil posted:

Oh poo poo, I think those might be clone slugs. So many callbacks...

What else could they be besides clone slugs?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Silver Gadget posted:

Ünderland/Michigan

This has to be one of the best Venture Bros. moments in the entire series. The reveal of Ünderland being a small country somewhere in Michigan is just too perfect. What's even better is that when I'm making my wife watch the series with me after all these years I completely forgot about it. It was just as amazing as the first time.

On that note, what's everyone's personal favorite moments? You can't say Major Tom, because that's everyone's favorite.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

El Tortuga posted:

This has to be one of the best Venture Bros. moments in the entire series. The reveal of Ünderland being a small country somewhere in Michigan is just too perfect. What's even better is that when I'm making my wife watch the series with me after all these years I completely forgot about it. It was just as amazing as the first time.

On that note, what's everyone's personal favorite moments? You can't say Major Tom, because that's everyone's favorite.

Captain Sunshine since I am a huge Batman TAS fan. It was just an amazing bit of casting

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

El Tortuga posted:

This has to be one of the best Venture Bros. moments in the entire series. The reveal of Ünderland being a small country somewhere in Michigan is just too perfect.

They even hint at it a few times in the episode. The hairdresser that gets Dean ready for his wedding ran away from his home in Detroit.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

This is a great idea and they're such great one-off characters I'd love to see what they'd scheme. I couldn't see introducing, or in this case converting, any more introducing many more main character arcs at this point in the series though. It's kinda busy enough as is.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The true superfan knows that the Venture Compound is outside Colorado Springs.

Amedeus
Jun 8, 2013

El Tortuga posted:

Aw, man, I don't know if I can pick just one. Probably, "Nnnnnnice rear end, Sampson," or, "The guy from Labyrinth just turned into a bird!"

Maybe the "I'm going to kill your boys!"/"Join the club," convo from House of Mummies. Whatever my favorite is, it's probably from Season 2.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Frostwerks posted:

This is a great idea and they're such great one-off characters I'd love to see what they'd scheme. I couldn't see introducing, or in this case converting, any more introducing many more main character arcs at this point in the series though. It's kinda busy enough as is.

Actually, now I'm thinking Scott could be involved with the Revenge Society somehow since he couldn't cut being a villain alone. He'll probably try to join and a running joke will occur where we constantly think he died. Kind of like the Kenny McCormick of the Venturverse.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sash! posted:

The true superfan knows that the Venture Compound is outside Colorado Springs.
Isn't that from the pilot, and therefore not necessarily canon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Amedeus posted:

Aw, man, I don't know if I can pick just one. Probably, "Nnnnnnice rear end, Sampson," or, "The guy from Labyrinth just turned into a bird!"

Maybe the "I'm going to kill your boys!"/"Join the club," convo from House of Mummies. Whatever my favorite is, it's probably from Season 2.

"Give me the hand of Osiris!"
"Give me head"

Or just the very end of Ghosts of the Sargasso when Tom's skull lands Doc.

But yeah, definitely can't pick just one.

Wonder what it says about the US that none of us were particularly surprised that the US military was sending reanimated corpses to murder striking latin american workers.

door Door door fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 13, 2013