Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

SAN FRANCISCO/CASK 1:

Awesomazing posted:

I think this guy has pretty much figured out SF.

http://tweleve.org/secret/26098-secret-revival-27.html starting on post #270. He did not dig but everything fits perfectly even the backwards letters seen on the dress of the lady in the picture.

clockworx posted:

That's really cool. Some seem like a stretch ("stone walls door" when you're miles away from Alcatraz, and I'm sure you could find "education" and "justice" almost anywhere). The picture seems like a definite match (especially with the backwards Gh), but it seems to mostly be the verse parts that are pushing it. I wonder if it's possible he's right about the location and picture, but pushing the wrong verse?

Russian Hill was mentioned last week. We looked at the Russian Hill park when we went into SF on Saturday: check a few pages back for our pictures. It doesn't match: being able to see the 'Gh' is completely reliant on a very specific level of tree growth (we could not see the 'GH' from beside the pole), there's nothing else that matches from the picture, and it's using a verse which another city is pretty sure is theirs.

We have more matches in a different park. Seriously, if you haven't checked the pictures from Saturday, go and do that and fold that information into your calculations.

Fistgrrl posted:

I'm pretty sure some goons in this very thread went there.
We're goons, we're used to being ignored by everyone :qq: :qq:

GENERAL
I don't like the way so many theories twist the verses around to fit, without doing a dang thing with the pictures. The pictures are macro-scale guides (review the Cleveland cask) and focusing on a verse while ignoring the picture means you're throwing out at least 50% of the clue.

I especially don't like this because for some of the casks we still don't know for sure which verse applies.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

GENERAL
I don't like the way so many theories twist the verses around to fit, without doing a dang thing with the pictures. The pictures are macro-scale guides (review the Cleveland cask) and focusing on a verse while ignoring the picture means you're throwing out at least 50% of the clue.

I especially don't like this because for some of the casks we still don't know for sure which verse applies.

Is it fair to say we don't 100% know that any particular verse goes with any particular picture apart from the ones that have been found?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

TotalHell posted:

Is it fair to say we don't 100% know that any particular verse goes with any particular picture apart from the ones that have been found?

Some pictures have a "generally accepted" riddle associated with them; presumably this association came from the Q4T work.

Of the verses that are still up for grabs (i.e. not "generally accepted" to apply to a certain picture) it seems no-one wants to claim verse 5, and everyone wants verse 7 to apply to 'their' picture.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

TotalHell posted:

I think people are understandably wary of digging in public/state/national parks, or even asking permission to do so lest you come off as a weirdo or just get flatly denied.

E: also plenty of us just aren't near one of these locations. I won't be in Charleston until two months from now, for example.

This is the sad reality of today. It's not easy to dig in public parks in the middle of large cities. You want to be drat sure before you start digging holes. Plus, these parks are huge and the casks small.

BJG, I can understand your frustration, you're across the pond and have some really good ideas that no one seems to be following up -- and you can't follow them up either.

I do plan on going to Houston soon, but it is three hours from Austin by car (and I'm considered close, if you can believe that!). I can't make a whole bunch of trips, so I'm trying to run down as many possibilities from here as I can before I go. I anticipate spending significant time in Hermann park, but I'll probably scout other areas. If you have a way to video conference with someone with a US iPhone (Skype?), I'd be more than happy to do that from the park so that you can "see" the park a little better. Nothing like being there and all that.

All the other locations are too far for me to realistically visit unless I happen to end up there for work or vacation. San Francisco is a five hour plane ride across two time zones, for instance. The US is big in ways I find that Europeans typically don't understand.

I do appreciate what wilhouse did. He was convinced it was in the Children's Zoo and drat near dug the whole place up. That's impressive. He also lived in Houston and it still took him years to get to that point. I've been looking at this for a week. I don't know enough yet to feel confident doing productive digging.

Last, I'm not trying to throw the baby out with the bath water, but I was amazed reading back through the threads just how much accepted knowledge was really just pure speculation. You and I don't think the cask is in the children's zoo, and while that pole is compelling and I didn't see it before, that rhino sign is new and definitely didnt look like that in 1982. The verse is compelling with the 982 reference that seems to indicate the train, but nothing else seems to fit. We've had to ignore huge sections or make v-shaped paths to make it work. I feel like someone decided that's the verse and now no one can see it any other way. I also know that in 1982 you couldn't mention Houston without thinking of the space program. So I'm looking at other theories. I'm not sold on them, but I feel like we're reaching on Hermann Park. I don't know if that's because it isn't there or we have the wrong verse, but I think fresh eyes is the best tool we have.

Everyone else, if you're having trouble getting access to Q4T, try emailing the main administrator Mark Parry at mark-parry@ntlworld.com

einTier fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 12, 2013

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

BJG posted:

I'm just waiting for the day when people stop yakking about this puzzle and dig a hole in the ground, but I doubt it'll ever come.

Good old Wilhouse armed himself with a bulldozer and a ground-penetrating radar system and had a drat good try at digging one of these things up. Gotta respect that.

Ah, so Wilhouse was the guy that the Zoo's PR guy told me about. From what he told me, they dug out huge tracts of the Children's Zoo and never found anything but a water line. I'm also pretty convinced by the zoo picture you posted that matches up the park pillars with the ones in the painting. Really hope this one's in Hermann Park and wasn't in the Children's Zoo and the visual cues were just to get you in the right general area or else it's gone forever.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BOSTON

Volte posted:

Has anyone looked at Fenway Park being the "colloseum with metal walls" mentioned in the Boston poem? There's a Fenway Victory Garden, located on The Fenway ('near those that pass the colloseum with metal walls'), which has water near it ('Face the water') and the sections of the garden have letters A through Z ('All the letters are here to see'), and one of the sections is called Center Section ('a green tower of lights in the middle section'). Granted I have no idea if it was laid out that way in 1982 but the garden itself is much older. Who knows how different it is today, maybe there's a green tower of lights in the center section of the Fenway Victory Garden?

It's roughly five blocks ('steps') west of the Boston Public Library (where Thucydides and Xenophon are mentioned on the engravings). The poem says 'if Thucydides is north of Xenophon' but I don't know how they are actually oriented on the building since I can't get a clear enough view to find them on Street View. This part of it isn't clear to me. I don't know about the Paul Revere stuff at the end either but it might become clearer if a further clue is found in the garden.

edit: Alternatively, the Prudential Tower is apparently visible from the gardens. I don't know what "green" would mean, but it is certainly a tower of lights at night. I found a 1982 picture of it and it looks like the lights at the top are green?

Yeah, there's lots of things that could ambiguously point to the Fens portion. 'All the letters are here to see' > Agassiz Road (letters from A to Z) bridges the river and has openings that look like the window behind the lady, 'feel at home' > there's a park called 'Mother's Rest' across from the lettered garden paths by the E side of Agassiz, there's a bend in the river that looks like the lady's neck shadows, and a couple others. It seems like every theory that pops up relies too heavily on either the text or the image; it's been hard to find things that blatantly overlap and mutually confirm the other side.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Good afternoon and welcome to Hunting For Numbers with GWBBQ. I've been looking around various US cities looking for anything that might match up to the Cask 12 picture, but as people have mentioned, your best bet is to find coordinates for latitude and longitude. Since we haven't anything that unequivocally links it to New York City, grab pairs of numbers, see where you end up, and look for anything that matches the picture.

Using one of the High-Res scans provided by Bankok on page 29, I have gone completely off my rocker and started hunting for anything that might resemble a number. I marked up anything obvious I saw, a few not obvious ones, and a couple that sort of look like numbers but I'm pretty sure aren't. Anyway, here's a bunch of stuff.

TotalHell posted:

Based on the 982/train clue, I would say that the Houston one is pretty close to 100% certain, and the Xenophon/Thucydides match in Boston is pretty compelling.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

I do plan on going to Houston soon, but it is three hours from Austin by car (and I'm considered close, if you can believe that!). I can't make a whole bunch of trips, so I'm trying to run down as many possibilities from here as I can before I go. I anticipate spending significant time in Hermann park, but I'll probably scout other areas. If you have a way to video conference with someone with a US iPhone (Skype?), I'd be more than happy to do that from the park so that you can "see" the park a little better. Nothing like being there and all that.

I live about an hour from Houston, I've been planning to take a trip up there but the stars haven't aligned correctly yet. If you're going to head up there at some point, let me know and I can meet you there and we can see what we can figure out.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Some pictures have a "generally accepted" riddle associated with them; presumably this association came from the Q4T work.

Of the verses that are still up for grabs (i.e. not "generally accepted" to apply to a certain picture) it seems no-one wants to claim verse 5, and everyone wants verse 7 to apply to 'their' picture.

Oh, I know that there are generally accepted associations, I just wanted to point out that nothing can be seen as absolutely certain or the right match until a picture and verse are paired up to find a casque.

Also, as to Verse 5, I am perfectly happy to have that point to Charleston, if only for the Citadel line (the Citadel being a very famous military school in Charleston).

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

TotalHell posted:

Yes, it's very much fair to say. The way the original post was worded, I thought someone had definitive proof that these verses belong with these images, but that doesn't seem to be true.

For instance, the discussion on Verse 1 starts with catherwood assuming it refers to sights in the Children's Zoo. She finds the 982 reference and is positive it refers to the train. Someone else thinks it's Yellowstone and the spout and whistle are Old Faithful. Then there's discussion on trains and the 982 and the railroad track in the bottom of the painting. Then we're led to "small of scale, step across", which must be the mini trains. Then the quote by Herman Melville, which must mean it's in Hermann park. By post nine, literally, wilhouse is convinced enough to pick up a shovel and go digging. By page two, it's accepted knowledge that the 982 is the train in Hermann Park and no one questions it.

Here are the posts that essentially make the entire case for verse 1 being tied to Houston.

catherwood posted:

Verse 1

(My prediction is that this is describing sights in the children's zoo in Hermann Park, Houston, Texas)

catherwood posted:

rfox, not sure if you want me to say this in the open forum, but I think your approach to the verses has missed the point.  For example, that one with "long palm's shadow" is most certainly going to be anything BUT a palm tree.  That's just how I would write a clue if I wanted to make a challenging treasure hunt.  It's the same reason people mistook the verse for Chicago as pointing to Washington, D.C.: the word 'congress' was put in there specifically to throw people off.

So, how can we use the verses to find a location?  First of all remember, the images are what lead to the general location, while the verses are the specific instructions to follow once you get there.  If you interpret a verse to lead to a state, how will those clues also tell you where to dig?

As for verse 1, I found the number 982 to be a train which was retired to this zoo.  In the zoo is also a miniature train ride and trails, and most likely a lion and a fountain.  I am imagining myself walking thru the park and seeing the sights and sounds as *suggested* by the verse.  Of course, I cannot confirm any of this until someone goes there, but that's my line of thought.

Of course, none of this will pan out unless one of the images can be mated to the state of Texas.  I am still hoping to order the book this week.  I think I am missing a lot of the details with just the online scans.

fox posted:

Now to V1.  I really like your ideas on the park in Houston.  A lot of your confirmers do seem to match...(there is a geyser in this park too Steve).  Just how can you take train #982 if it has been retired though?  ??? Just kidding Cat,  982 also referred to a train (believe it or not) in the area I'm researching.  Other things seem to fall into place as well...and if (as many believe) somewhere in the V connects it to a P, then my theory really begins to take off.  Although, you know first hand as do I (TQ) that once something is in our minds...we try (and usually succeed) to make them fit.

In looking over most of the P scans that Mark so generously put up...there isnt a whole lot that is lost.  It does help to have your own copy to go over with a fine toothed comb though.  Glad to have you on board Cat.   8)

Dan Amrich posted:

A spouting whistle could well simply be the retired train. The casque could be hidden in the retired train itself...?

There is a Friendship TX in Houston County. But apparently there are Friendships all over Texas.

Let's see, where are those other straws I was grasping at...

wilhouse posted:

Here's a link to train 982 in houston

http://www.rypn.org/TRPA/http://www.ci.houston.tx.us/departme/parks/abouthistory3.html

I'm going to try to take a drive out there this weekend.

Picture 8 seems to hold promise - animals (zoo) waterspout

also, on the stones, by the waterspout, could the crosshatching be rail road tracks?

In the tree, on the left side, there looks like a number 8.  In the tree, there is clearly a 95.  in the right side, there looks like a 9 and maybe a 6 (96) or 9E.  at the top of the tree, there is a space that looks like an N or S or Z or 2.  Or maybe I am just seeing things.
wilhouse

By this kind of reasoning, I've made just as strong a case that the cask is in Tranquility Park and the verse with "giant step" is the one we should be looking at. Don't take that to mean that's where the cask is! I personally do not much stock in my Tranquility Park theory -- but I'm just saying that a lot of what we think has already been definitively proved really hasn't.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I live about an hour from Houston, I've been planning to take a trip up there but the stars haven't aligned correctly yet. If you're going to head up there at some point, let me know and I can meet you there and we can see what we can figure out.
Judging by your username and distance from Houston, I have to believe you live in Beaumont, where I'm originally from. Incidentally, I worked with Gary Lee Love back in the early 90's.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

Judging by your username and distance from Houston, I have to believe you live in Beaumont, where I'm originally from. Incidentally, I worked with Gary Lee Love back in the early 90's.

You're some kinda sorcerer.

Autumn2May
Apr 5, 2010

NYC

I had a thought about the lady in the NYC picture. What if she's not a statue? What if she is a headstone decoration or in a stained glass window? Someone earlier posted some stained glass window pics with the same small circle patterns as the "window" in the top of the picture. Maybe she is in a similar window?

I like the idea that the rectangle is the twin towers. Maybe the church in question would be in a position where you could only see one of the towers? Trinity church would be in the right place, but I'm not sure you could have seen the towers from there.

There appears to be some kind of bird statue inside the church as well: http://www.flickr.com/photos/84242640@N00/6089018766 But I can't get find a better picture of it.

Autumn2May fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 12, 2013

Autumn2May
Apr 5, 2010

Autumn2May posted:

NYC

I had a thought about the lady in the NYC picture. What if she's not a statue? What if she is a headstone decoration or in a stained glass window? Someone earlier posted some stained glass window pics with the same small circle patterns as the "window" in the top of the picture. Maybe she is in a similar window?

I like the idea that the rectangle is the twin towers. Maybe the church in question would be in a position where you could only see one of the towers? Trinity church would be in the right place, but I'm not sure you could have seen the towers from there.

There appears to be some kind of bird statue inside the church as well: http://www.flickr.com/photos/84242640@N00/6089018766 But I can't get find a better picture of it.

Ooo! I found a better eagle! It's on the building next to the church! https://maps.google.com/maps?q=trin...,,1,-47.54&z=19

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

If that rectangle were the twin towers why wouldn't there be two of them? Just pointing out there are a shitload of things shaped like rectangles in NYC.

I think the statue very much resembles the statue of liberty, and the bird's head very much resembles the Chrysler bird. But the rectangle/twin towers thing is a stretch.

Autumn2May
Apr 5, 2010

SheepNameKiller posted:

If that rectangle were the twin towers why wouldn't there be two of them.

You could only see one of them from Trinity because one would have been behind the other.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Autumn2May posted:

You could only see one of them from Trinity because one would have been behind the other.

I'll assume that's relevant if someone puts together all the clues and it turns out to be the trinity church, as is I think it's a stretch to assume that it's the twin towers if the location is anywhere else.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
St Augustine - Cask 6

In the image, noticed a resemblance to the Castillo De San Marcos on the flag. It's obscured by the purple circle, not sure what that means.

A bit of a stretch, but played around with the map a bit. The marker shows where the castle is located. I don't think the shoreline would have changed this much in 30 years.

The first chapter (The first city?)
Written in water (Right on the intracoastal waterway, near an ocean outlet)
Near men
With wind rose
Behind bending branches
And a green picket fence (Plenty of these and tall trees in the area)
At the base of a tall tree
You can still hear the honking (Traffic all over)
Shell, limestone, silver, salt (shell and limestone were used in construction quite a bit in the area)
Stars move by day
Sails pass by night (Lots of sailboats on the water there)
Even in darkness
Like moonlight in teardrops
Over the tall grass
Years pass, rain falls.

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:

I'm also down to go. EinTier, we could carpool if you like.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

New York(???)

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

This is probably totally wrong, but does anyone think the "New York" image does not show New York? Ever since I saw the water at the bottom, I immediately thought of Buffalo and Niagara Falls.

Is it just me or do the collective outlines of the windows around the bird kinda resemble the outline of a state?

The blue spotted window sorta looks like Minnesota or Wisconsin to me. And the combined crimson and off-white windows look like Idaho.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Aciid c0d3r posted:

I'm also down to go. EinTier, we could carpool if you like.

Count me out of any "Goon Meet"-type stuff unless somebody has a really good idea of where the cask is buried (as in, like good enough that we actually find it there) and I get to take some of the credit for finding and uncovering it.

Also I would like the option to take the cask and its contents myself (assuming that it is in good enough condition) so that I can try to sell them to my university and maybe have my name included in a story on the school webpage. I've been in undergrad for too drat long and I WANT SOMETHING TO SHOW FOR IT DAMMIT! :argh:

:smith:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

St Augustine

I'm sure it's been noted, but the right side of the rock is a silhouette of a face. It looks like a young unbearded man (but he might have a goatee, given the length of his chin) wearing a helmet of some sort. His mouth seems to be slightly open, and he has a weak jaw. He either has a prominent Adam's apple or a very stiff shirt/armor (or perhaps both).

It's definitely not Ponce de Leon (he's bearded). Figuring out which statue it is should probably be a top priority.

e: Best I can do is the Father Lopez statue. He's not wearing a hat, though, so I might be way off

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 12, 2013

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Count me out of any "Goon Meet"-type stuff unless somebody has a really good idea of where the cask is buried (as in, like good enough that we actually find it there) and I get to take some of the credit for finding and uncovering it.

Also I would like the option to take the cask and its contents myself (assuming that it is in good enough condition) so that I can try to sell them to my university and maybe have my name included in a story on the school webpage. I've been in undergrad for too drat long and I WANT SOMETHING TO SHOW FOR IT DAMMIT! :argh:

:smith:

So you don't want to do any of the footwork that could lead to the treasure, you just want to be there when it's dug up and then keep it?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I think that might've been one of dem jokes

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So you don't want to do any of the footwork that could lead to the treasure, you just want to be there when it's dug up and then keep it?

No, just the opposite. I'm saying I want to do most (if not all) of the footwork. Otherwise there would be nothing for me to take credit for. No pain no gain and all that.

EDIT: I might make a stop by Home Depot this afternoon to pick up a few things.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 12, 2013

Guuse
May 11, 2009

MassaShowtime posted:

What park is that?

It isn't in a park itself. It's right across Peel street from Place du Canada in a space between Saint George's Anglican Church and Edifice La Laurentienne. So maybe the church garden or maybe something related to the 1986 building.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

No, just the opposite. I'm saying I want to do most (if not all) of the footwork. Otherwise there would be nothing for me to take credit for. No pain no gain and all that.

EDIT: I might make a stop by Home Depot this afternoon to pick up a few things.

If you're reading this thread, you're already collaborating with others.

I'm willing to do the carpool thing, I just don't know yet how to work it into my schedule.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

New York(???)

Is it just me or do the collective outlines of the windows around the bird kinda resemble the outline of a state?

The blue spotted window sorta looks like Minnesota or Wisconsin to me. And the combined crimson and off-white windows look like Idaho.

Speaking of the blue-spotted window, has it been pointed out that it's larger than it should be? The vertical separation that should cut the top tip off isn't there. A piece of the magenta window that should be between the wings is gone as well.

It probably has been mentioned somewhere, I haven't been able to keep up with every post.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Achmed Jones posted:

St Augustine

I'm sure it's been noted, but the right side of the rock is a silhouette of a face.
I've noticed that too, but it seems too obvious. I've done a bunch of reverse image searches on isolated sections, like only the rock island, the horse figure, the owl and the flowers, no results. The flag emblem's resemblance to the fort has been mentioned too, but it's a little too abstract to convince me. I've been to the fort years ago and took a bunch of pictures, none of them seem to match the rock island or anything noticeable. Plus, cask 10's picture has the same circle motif too, a stone milling or grinding wheel?

The negative space shape of the lower right kinda looks like Florida, but only somewhat. I'm sure the cloud shapes, owl, rock island and stone 'face' will all be clear once the integral clue is deciphered.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

I was looking at N.O image again today, specifically the background

The checker background I think is reference to the great chess player Paul Morphy, and I was thinking about the fact that he studied at tulane university, the insignia colors of the university kind of match the red/blue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulane_University

The chalk effect may be a reference to chalk and blackboard.

Or it could be a reference to the musician louis gottchalk. Whether they reference locations or they're just referencing notable person/people from new orleans is anybody's guess...

I've got a theory that it's buried in front of the university in the semi circle, but need to put it all together...

Bloke fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 12, 2013

Bloke
May 22, 2004

emosx posted:

New Orleans

Wife and I did some poking around on Verse 7/ Cask 7. Think it may be in Jackson Square.

At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet

Couple of ideas here. Perhaps a reference to the smell of the flowers in the park itself. On the face of the clock, in the upper corners, there are what can either be described as flowers or bells. From all the pictures we could find, the flowers appear to have that general shape. St Louis Cathedral, which is directly across the street from the park, is built of stone. Standing in the doorway of the cathedral, you may be smelling the flowers.

The other thought is, less than a block away from the square is the second oldest standing wall in New Orleans. The area is full of restaurants.

Not far away
High posts are three
Education and Justice
For all to see

The Louisana Supreme Court courthouse is two blocks southwest of Jackson's Square. Courthouse houses the Law Library(education), as well as the Louisiana Supreme Court and Appeals Court(justice).

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

Back at St Louis Cathedral, the cathedral contains church bells that were installed in 1819(sounds from the sky). Again, in the upper corners of the clock in cask 7 appear to be either bells or flowers and the number 19. Not sure how ace fits in. Bell tower goes off on the hour, so 1 o'clock?

Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention

Twain's greatest passion was the Mississippi River, it is referred to as the "Jewel of the Midwest." Across the street, southeast from Jackson Square is the Mississppi River, and at that point the river turns from running north, to east. Prior to the river turning north, it was also running west to east

Giant pole
There is a flagpole at the southwest end of the park. From the Jackson Square Wikipedia "The flagpole, commemorating the city's transfer from Spain to France to the United States in 1803, symbolizes the square's rich cultural history."

Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

One step away from the flag pole?

Other items of note:
-On the clock in the picture, it says "Preservation." Preservation could have two meanings; Preservation Hall is 2 blocks northwest of Jackson Square. However, and more likely, (more wiki) "In the center of the park stands an equestrian statue of Jackson erected in 1856." That may explain the picture of a horse's head in the lower right hand corner of the cask picture. On the equestrian statue reads the following quote from Jackson "The union must and shall be preserved."

-Also on the clock are the numbers 29 and 90. Jackson Square is located at GPS +29.95748 -090.06310.

-The clock on the cask looks very similar to the clock face on St Louis Cathedral. The clock face also looks very similar to the layout of the square from above, but my mind may be playing tricks on me at this point.

Feel free to poke our theory full of holes.

You really should read all the thread. This isn't the first time that someone has gone over the same info like this, just seems like wasted energy could be better served further researching the theories.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

St Augustine

The Father Lopez statue was moved in 2010. See here. It "was originally located where it faced the southeastern shore of an interior portion of Hospital Creek." To be sure, I'm not saying that the rock-silhouette is Fr. Lopez (though I am convinced it's a face), but we'd need to find its original location to do any more scouting.

e: According to this it was (and still is) at Mission Nombre de Dios - just in a new spot.

Mission Nombre de Dios is where de Avilez landed, so it fits the verse obviously. If someone could scout around the mission's grounds to look for

quote:

Behind bending branches
And a green picket fence
At the base of a tall tree
it'd be super-great

It'd also be good to look across Hospital Creek (like the statue was) towards the other side - if there's a green fence and/or a giant tree, so much the better. Particularly since it'd be pretty messed up to bury (or dig up) the treasure on the mission's grounds.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 12, 2013

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Yip Yips posted:

Speaking of the blue-spotted window, has it been pointed out that it's larger than it should be? The vertical separation that should cut the top tip off isn't there. A piece of the magenta window that should be between the wings is gone as well.

It probably has been mentioned somewhere, I haven't been able to keep up with every post.

First time I've seen it mentioned (though, of course, that doesn't mean it hasn't been mentioned). But, I have looked at that picture many times and never noticed that until you pointed it out. I think, now that you have mentioned it, that is a bloody obvious clue we should pursue.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

It's been mentioned quite a bit, no one's been able to put forth any real theories about it.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Luminous posted:

First time I've seen it mentioned (though, of course, that doesn't mean it hasn't been mentioned). But, I have looked at that picture many times and never noticed that until you pointed it out. I think, now that you have mentioned it, that is a bloody obvious clue we should pursue.

People talked about that a few pages back. I think it's just a bit of an oversight on the illustrator's part, but carry on.

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005
Milwaukee

This may be helpful, though it's not definitive and it's an early picture. This is an old painted photo (from the 1940's) that shows the river by City Hall. Though some of the buildings cover it up, it looks like there were never any trees along the river where the RiverWalk is now. You can see Pere Marquette Park a little higher in the photo. I was a little concerned that some of the instructions in the verse might have been pointing us to trees that were once along the river and are gone now, but it doesn't look like that's the case. Unless, of course, it's pointing to trees that were ripped out when Pere Marquette was re-landscaped.

EDIT: actually, that's not Pere Marquette Park at the top there. I don't know what that is.

EDIT 2: that green spot at the top is where a bunch of condos are now, perpendicular to Highland Ave. Hopefully those weren't built in the 90's, they look kind of modern on google maps...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Bit fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 12, 2013

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

LargeHadron posted:

People talked about that a few pages back. I think it's just a bit of an oversight on the illustrator's part, but carry on.

Ah dang, this is what happens when you go out of town and can't be arsed to read 200 new theory posts in detail.

I do admit, I find it hard to believe it would be an oversight, given the intricacies that his art has, but it's true that I can't immediately see what sort of connection it could have to anything.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

St Augustine

I found a picture from the Mission looking across Hospital Creek.

It's too bad how trees grow and fall down; hopefully there's a single big tree (or stump) or fence outside of the shot.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Houston

This was first posted at least 10 pages back and nobody seemed to pay attention to it then, so here goes.

Verse 1 posted:

Friendship south

The boulder pictured above was placed there in 2010, dedicating an event that took place in 1990.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding other possible meanings for the line "Friendship south"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

New York(???)

New York(???)

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

This is probably totally wrong, but does anyone think the "New York" image does not show New York? Ever since I saw the water at the bottom, I immediately thought of Buffalo and Niagara Falls.

The more I look at this painting, the more I think that the bird, the crimson window, the off-white window, or some combination thereof are meant to resemble the shape of a state. Exactly WHICH state, I'm not sure. Could be a notheastern state, or it could be Montana or Idaho. Both Montana and Idaho are at about the same latitude as New York, so for all I know either one could work.

Or maybe the shape is that of New York, and I just can't tell. I don't have Photoshop anymore, so I can't really take a transparent picture of a state and overlay it onto another picture as easily as I used to be able to. v:shobon:v

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 12, 2013