Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The beauty of being a lazy gently caress is that people beat you to your ideas.
Wonder how hussie'll handle the Corrupt Game story. If it's anything like I thought, awesome 4th wall breaks via the magic of HTML5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I appreciate the contrast of having the most self-aware layer of Homestuck yet narrated by it's most self-centered character.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Spellman posted:

This will not be an Act Act Intermission. This will be an Act Act Act. There is a difference.

ACT ACT ACT
\

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I wonder to what extent any of this is meant to be understood as happening. That's always the most confusing question in this comic.

Well, Caliborn is using a panel that gives him control of the entire narrative. Logically that means that Andrew had access to this at some point, and he prepared for this particular eventuality. The one where he has died and both game disks are done and Caliborn has taken control of the entire story. I mean, he is writing the story, so obviously he knew that would happen.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Spellman posted:

This will not be an Act Act Intermission. This will be an Act Act Act. There is a difference.

Look at the picture and read the text. Caliborn's rants are Act Act Acts.

God can't believe you can't even comprehend such a simple thing in this simple webcomic that's not at all confusing :colbert:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Caliborn posted:

IN FACT, FOR ME TO EVEN BE MOCKING THE PRACTICE. ALMOST FEELS. INCESTUOUSLY MASTURBATORY.

(EVEN THOUGH THAT IS A REDUNDANT PHRASE FOR CHERUBS...)

Oh, Caliborn... :allears:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Spellman posted:

Okay, so.

Caliborn is mocking the comic in a series of lovely, incestuously masturbatory, poorly-drawn recaps of the comic so far. His lovely satire is comprised of ACT 6 ACT 6 ACT 1 through ACT 6 ACT 6 ACT 6.

While he's doing that, we, the readers, will be off in the cartridge just now inserted, which will actually progress the plot through a series of ACT 6 ACT 6 INTERMISSIONS.

We won't be seeing (most of) Caliborn's acts; the comic will be focusing on the obviously much more important intermissions instead, which will also now be filled with special stardust and candycorn.

It's all very straightforward.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bobulus posted:

A good 80% start out in as "Homestuck looks terrible" and make the exact same jokes about Act 1, the same jokes Caliborn makes here.

So if the pattern holds, by the time Caliborn becomes Lord English he'll be a maximum-God-Tier homestuck fanboy?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I missed Caliborn a lot more than I realized. Also, the update song had me close to tears. Bravo, Radiation, bravo.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Fucknag posted:

So if the pattern holds, by the time Caliborn becomes Lord English he'll be a maximum-God-Tier homestuck fanboy?

Either that or Koos.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You know, Caliborn's writing bears a disturbing similarity to Mark Millar's. This update's a lot like the end of Wanted.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yonic Symbolism posted:

You know, Caliborn's writing bears a disturbing similarity to Mark Millar's. This update's a lot like the end of Wanted.

Plus, the whole misogyny thing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Caliborn's summary of Act 6 would be a good way to have a less-wordy version of Hussie's synopses before diving back into the narrative.

Blackheart posted:

Either that or Koos.

Koos is actually a Summer 2014 invention of Andrew Hussie that he retroactively inserted into the continuity of reality to better enhance the experience of various Homestuck forum topics.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
So I stopped reading in 2011 during the Doc Scratch interlude, which I found out later was shortly before Cascade. For reasons I don't even remember at this point I decided to read the last two years of Homestuck over the course of a week... approximately a week after the hiatus started. I have pretty bad timing with this comic. Hell, my first time reading ended with getting caught up during Hivebent, so I got to see ~TROLLMANCE~ in all its glory.

Expecting the hiatus to continue right after this update but hey at least we got 37 pages of Caliborn. Who in their right mind could say no to that?

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 13, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

Okay, so.

Caliborn is mocking the comic in a series of lovely, incestuously masturbatory, poorly-drawn recaps of the comic so far. His lovely satire is comprised of ACT 6 ACT 6 ACT 1 through ACT 6 ACT 6 ACT 6.

While he's doing that, we, the readers, will be off in the cartridge just now inserted, which will actually progress the plot through a series of ACT 6 ACT 6 INTERMISSIONS.

We won't be seeing (most of) Caliborn's acts; the comic will be focusing on the obviously much more important intermissions instead, which will also now be filled with special stardust and candycorn.

It's all very straightforward.

But the cartridge is OF Caliborn's lovely, incestuously masturbatory, poorly-drawn recaps of the comic so far.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Try to skip Caliborn's Casio performance. I dare you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

So Math posted:

Try to skip Caliborn's Casio performance. I dare you.

I loving tried, drat you.

Wish I could get a collage of the horror in people's faces when they all went "ok, this was funny but enough is enough" and tried to click past it.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
I legitimately forgot the plot to this comic, what should I do now

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Valex posted:

Read Caliborn's amazing summary, you'll be fine.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Valex posted:

Put every lucky charm marshmallow onto a grid, and pretend each one is a kind of sexuality.

Now go make some dirty fanfiction about that.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Bobulus posted:

Sure. I was going to ask what everyone did during the hiatus anyway. I was actually productive. Did some actual adult-person-type-stuff. Didn't get any fan-projects done, though.

I replayed The Wind Waker. Real exciting, edge of your seat stuff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I read the collected works of Vladimir Nabokov.

Still going, actually. On Glory now. CULTURE

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Valex posted:

Get people to summarize it for you in one sentence:

"In this tale; a group of children play a game with far-reaching consequences, and deal with the idea that power-gamers ruin things for everyone, including the story's author."

"Power-gamers ruin everything."

"Some videogame cheaters poo poo on a storybook."

"[Fifteen paragraphs of time paradox bullshit with vague nods to authorial intent.]"

"At least two frogs die."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hussie you rat bastard, I was clean. I was back on the straight and narrow.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Desumaytah posted:

"Kids and fun"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Desumaytah posted:

"In this tale; a group of children play a game with far-reaching consequences, and deal with the idea that power-gamers ruin things for everyone, including the story's author."

"Power-gamers ruin everything."

"Some videogame cheaters poo poo on a storybook."

"[Fifteen paragraphs of time paradox bullshit with vague nods to authorial intent.]"

"At least two frogs die."

I actually have seen a good summary floating around Tumblr (Gasp!), something like "A story about kids becoming friends over the internet. Meanwhile, a dispute over workplace attire results in the death of billions."

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Fucknag posted:

I actually have seen a good summary floating around Tumblr (Gasp!), something like "A story about kids becoming friends over the internet. Meanwhile, a dispute over workplace attire results in the death of billions."

I don't remember fedorafreak killing billions. Is this referencing something else?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So Math posted:

I don't remember fedorafreak killing billions. Is this referencing something else?

Jack killed the Black Queen and started his rise to power (and thus derailing everything else) because he didn't like wearing silly hats.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

So Math posted:

Jack and the Black Queen.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So Math posted:

I seem to recall a certain genocidal maniac going nuts over a silly hat.

EDIT: oh come on guys you're no fun :saddowns:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Color Printer posted:

I seem to recall a certain genocidal maniac going nuts over a silly hat.

EDIT: oh come on guys you're no fun :saddowns:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Fucknag posted:

Oh, he killed way more than billions.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

I loving tried, drat you.

Wish I could get a collage of the horror in people's faces when they all went "ok, this was funny but enough is enough" and tried to click past it.

Only a 5/10. He didn't also disable the ability to mute it.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Thundarr posted:

Only a 5/10. He didn't also disable the ability to mute it.

The mute should have just been a fourth volume level, louder than the default.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Bobulus posted:

Sure. I was going to ask what everyone did during the hiatus anyway. I was actually productive. Did some actual adult-person-type-stuff. Didn't get any fan-projects done, though.

Went to Toronto Comic Arts Festival. Got some lovely scratch n' sniff stickers on Homestuck Vol. 1.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There were times when I wanted Homestuck to hurry up and reach the climax already. Now I never want it to end.

And the meta self-reference pile does not stop from getting taller. I suspect the special stardust infusion will result in random skips and jumps, providing a framing device to justify jumping the plot forward over tricky bits, or maybe it'll do something else entirely! Who knows? Ahhhh, I missed this feeling.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Bobulus posted:

I showed up to CC with forums goon/best friend Brohemian Rhapsody. I had already had my SBaHJ book signed when I ordered it. Regardless, he said he could always enhance it and drew me some original Hella Jeff artwork:

Afterward I whipped out my phone and took an ironic selfie. First time I've ever seen the man smile. For the curious, yes; I am dressed as Aquaman.

Here's a bonus picture of him vaguely menacing me with a toy shotgun.

2022 edit: removed personally identifying info!

VERY COOL MAN fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 8, 2023

Koosery
Jun 13, 2013

by T. Finninho
This interlude can be read as commentary on Homestuck's age. Caliborn's hard mind, and visual style of constructing images from right angles (which is one of the best figures in Homestuck since it ties together platonic idealism, abstraction, and pixels all at once) evoke how an experience, if it's to last, must be made of pieces that can be recreated. Whether the building blocks are words, or universal symbols, or archetypes, or pixels, only some limited form can survive. But the story becomes new again, when our intuition fills in the gaps, gives it color, rounds it out.

At least that would happen if this weren't in the POV of someone incapable of all that. The story of Homestuck remains inert, simplified symbols where life never goes. The point where an idea is so distant or small that even though your mind conceives it, it exists outside your mind. Much like Homestuck would be to someone who tried to read act 1 then quit (which lets Hussie double up and use Caliborn as an audience surrogate too).

Of course, above that layer is self-criticism, since Homestuck should implicitly not have gone on long enough for its beginning to become a misinterpreted historical document before the end's reached.

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

Afterward I whipped out my phone and took an ironic selfie. First time I've ever seen the man smile. For the curious, yes; I am dressed as Aquaman.

Here's a bonus picture of him vaguely menacing me with a toy shotgun.

Sometimes I wonder how, when Hussie is preternaturally aware of so much, he completely missed one of the most important things.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Koosery fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 13, 2013

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

I can't stop laughing at Caliborn's riff on Bob Ross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Koos :allears:

God this day just keeps getting better.