Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Aren't a lot of states decriminalizing and therefore making less possession 'arrests'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yep. But it's long been the case that the only reason to be arrested for marijuana is racism. Obama isn't to blame or to be given credit for the current situation.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KingEup posted:

So possession arrests are down. According to a well respected (not by me) drug policy expert, Obama deserves the credit: http://www.samefacts.com/2013/06/drug-policy/marijuana-possession-enforcement-is-down-dramatically-under-president-obama/

Does this argument strike anyone as being a tad silly?

Definitely silly

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

FreshlyShaven posted:

I disagree. First off, having legal pot will be an added benefit for many people who are still undecided about their next vacation.

Do people from Illinois take their vay-cays in Missouri because they can buy/use fireworks legally?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 13, 2013

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

KingEup posted:

Do people from Illinois holiday in Missouri because they can buy/use fireworks legally?

This is a seriously bad example, going to the next county over to buy fireworks is as American as apple pie

e: Here, have a guess at what the red things and the dotted line on this image indicate:

Muck and Mire fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 13, 2013

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Muck and Mire posted:

This is a seriously bad example, going to the next county over to buy fireworks is as American as apple pie

e: Here, have a guess at what the red things and the dotted line on this image indicate:

I don't have a fancy map to illustrate it, but I can assure you that there are several huge fireworks stores just a few miles North of the Colorado/Wyoming border, right off I-25. Taking trips up to Cheyenne to buy hella fireworks and bring them back to Colorado is a statewide pastime.

Although hopefully that won't be the case this year, seeing as how our entire state is a gigantic tinderbox waiting to combust :ohdear:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

KingEup posted:

Do people from Illinois take their vay-cays in Missouri because they can buy/use fireworks legally?

Again, this was a really bad example. If you don't think that pot will in anyway benefit Washington & Colorado's tourism industries to a noticeable degree, then I don't know what to tell you.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Muck and Mire posted:

Kind of my point. They're next to the border for a reason. People want to get in and straight back out.

Few people are planning their next holiday desination because of fireworks.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Can you think of anything that might differentiate fireworks from, say, marijuana? Have you heard of sex tourism? People will go places to do things that aren't legal where they live. Amsterdam thinks they get a third of their tourism from weedsmokers. I'm not saying Denver is going to be the American mecca for weed tourism or anything but people will definitely consider this when they make their travel plans, especially once the retail stores are open and the kinks are worked out.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Muck and Mire posted:

Can you think of anything that might differentiate fireworks from, say, marijuana? Have you heard of sex tourism? People will go places to do things that aren't legal where they live. Amsterdam thinks they get a third of their tourism from weedsmokers. I'm not saying Denver is going to be the American mecca for weed tourism or anything but people will definitely consider this when they make their travel plans, especially once the retail stores are open and the kinks are worked out.

Even from people just passing through the state on a trip to somewhere else; that's profit that will go to the state versus some shady back-room dealer. And those people don't have to fear 'The Law', so they would be inclined to purchase and consume more often. From a money-making POV for the state, it sounds like a good plan.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
"But Officer, it was legal where I bought it!"

Yea I don't think leaving the state with lots of legally bought marijuana is a good idea. If you are planning on staying in Colorado for a few days for say a Ski-trip, then yes. If you are just "passing through," then no, you will not and should not buy some weed for the road.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

Yea I don't think leaving the state with lots of legally bought marijuana is a good idea. If you are planning on staying in Colorado for a few days for say a Ski-trip, then yes. If you are just "passing through," then no, you will not and should not buy some weed for the road.

Is this about the inherent danger of driving with weed where it's illegal, or specifically about Colorado and its neighboring states?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hepatizon posted:

Is this about the inherent danger of driving with weed where it's illegal, or specifically about Colorado and its neighboring states?

The former. Transporting drugs, even bullshit like weed, is playing with fire and should be kept at a minimum. I wouldn't want my road-trip to get hosed up when my car got impounded in Tennessee for "drug trafficking." It's much safer to buy drugs when you get to your destination then it is road-trip with them.

The laws of Colorado or Washington state won't change that.

However when weed becomes legal in those states, I think the best method of getting drugs would be to have someone fedex them to you (just like is done today). Why drive all the way across the country, just have them ship it to you.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Powercrazy posted:

It's much safer to buy drugs when you get to your destination then it is road-trip with them.
Is this true? If it's true at all, I would guess that it would come down to race. If you buy in a legal state, there is no chance of being arrested at purchase. Driving with marijuana is only dangerous if you both get pulled over and searched. I've never been in a car that was searched by the police and I've been pulled over exactly once, but my demographic is definitely less likely to be pulled over or searched.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Powercrazy posted:

However when weed becomes legal in those states, I think the best method of getting drugs would be to have someone fedex them to you (just like is done today). Why drive all the way across the country, just have them ship it to you.

In actuality, the USPS is probably the way to go since there is a warrant needed to open their mail. From what I understand there is no such need for a warrant for FedEx or UPS to open up packages.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

b0ng posted:

In actuality, the USPS is probably the way to go since there is a warrant needed to open their mail. From what I understand there is no such need for a warrant for FedEx or UPS to open up packages.

Correct. Always use USPS for anything you do not want tampered with (and also because the private carriers are a little more likely to outright destroy your package through negligence).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

b0ng posted:

Yea, I'm not super versed in the best way to ship drugs, but what I do know is that there is literally zero criminal risk to you as a buyer if you do it that way. The worst that will happen is you lose your money.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

twodot posted:

Is this true? If it's true at all, I would guess that it would come down to race. If you buy in a legal state, there is no chance of being arrested at purchase. Driving with marijuana is only dangerous if you both get pulled over and searched. I've never been in a car that was searched by the police and I've been pulled over exactly once, but my demographic is definitely less likely to be pulled over or searched.

It depends on where you're going but yes, driving around with drugs across state lines is potentially quite risky. First, consider that if you have a drug conviction - even a misdemeanor - on your record, even if it's just for weed, you're significantly curtailing future employment prospects.

Specifically with respect to Colorado, if you're travelling East, the LE in counties in Western Kansas (really the Western 2/3rds of the state) have nothing better to do, and a vested interest in pulling you over and arresting you for cannabis. If you had a large enough amount they would probably charge you for distribution. If you kept travelling East into Missouri the laws and your prospects get worse. People need to keep in mind that in states like California, it's no big deal but in states like Missouri they can give you seven years in jail, and a 5k fine for over 35 grams. In Louisiana they can give you 20 years in Angola for a roach if it's a third offense (and yes, this does happen). It's a profitable game for them and not one that I would want to play; the risk just isn't worth the reward.

If you do, despite the risks decide to do this regardless, secure it in your trunk, don't speed above 5 mph, have your car in good repair and completely innocuous (all the lights work, registration in glove box, insurance etc). Know the laws, don't drive inebriated in any way and be safe.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Broken Machine posted:

Specifically with respect to Colorado, if you're travelling East, the LE in counties in Western Kansas (really the Western 2/3rds of the state) have nothing better to do, and a vested interest in pulling you over and arresting you for cannabis.
Even if I grant you this (and I'm not prepared to), this doesn't support the contention. The claim is that driving through western Kansas with marijuana is more dangerous than purchasing marijuana and driving home where you are going to (which, if you are crossing the border to purchase drugs, is presumably near Colorado, so very possibly, western Kansas). Even if random searches are more common around the Colorado border, we would need to compare that to random drug busts and random searches at whatever the destination is.

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 13, 2013

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

twodot posted:

Even if I grant you this (and I'm not prepared to), this doesn't support the contention. The claim that driving through western Kansas with marijuana is more dangerous than purchasing marijuana and driving home where you are going to (which, if you are crossing the border to purchase drugs, is presumably near Colorado, so very possibly, western Kansas). Even if random searches are more common around the Colorado border, we would need to compare that to random drug busts and random searches at whatever the destination is.

Whatever man, I used to live next door to a cop that did drug interdiction on I-70 in Kansas and talked to him about it. It's your rear end.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

Even if random searches are more common around the Colorado border, we would need to compare that to random drug busts and random searches at whatever the destination is.

You are absolutely more likely to be pulled over then you are to be caught buying drugs.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

You are absolutely more likely to be pulled over then you are to be caught buying drugs.
Care to cite this? I wouldn't even know where to begin finding per mile likelihood of having your car searched versus percentage of drug buys that result in arrests.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
At least for weed, I have never heard of anyone getting caught at the buy. People are usually caught with it by walking around with it and driving around with it, or if your really stupid smoking it in public.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

twodot posted:

Care to cite this? I wouldn't even know where to begin finding per mile likelihood of having your car searched versus percentage of drug buys that result in arrests.

:psyduck: I would think it's just common sense. Unless you're buying from a cop, it's not likely that the police are suddenly going to swoop into the home/parking lot/wherever you're at at the very moment you're buying your drugs.

I've never heard of a reverse sting operation involving weed. I mean they could exist, but I've literally never heard of it happening.

edit: Oh wait I did find an article about it happening in New York with police trying to sell people oregano in the 90s:
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle-old/065/reversal.shtml

Jizz Festival fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 13, 2013

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Yeah, and honestly it's not too difficult to imagine that cops on the borders of the now-legal states will assume that some percentage of people coming through have weed on them. I'm sure a ton of people will get away with buying weed in CO and moving it across state lines but personally that seems like a fairly dumb idea.

Kind of offtopic but I just imagined someone stopping right at the CO border, getting out and furiously smoking all of the rest of his weed while staring down a cop on the Kansas side

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

b0ng posted:

mdemone posted:

Correct. Always use USPS for anything you do not want tampered with (and also because the private carriers are a little more likely to outright destroy your package through negligence).

Powercrazy posted:

Yea, I'm not super versed in the best way to ship drugs, but what I do know is that there is literally zero criminal risk to you as a buyer if you do it that way. The worst that will happen is you lose your money.

Just so everyone's clear, the need for a warrant when opening mail only applies to first class mail:

"USPIS FAQ posted:

4. Can Postal Inspectors open mail if they feel it may contain something illegal?
First-Class letters and parcels are protected against search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and, as such, cannot be opened without a search warrant. If there is probable cause to believe the contents of a First-Class letter or parcel violate federal law, Postal Inspectors can obtain a search warrant to open the mailpiece. Other classes of mail do not contain private correspondence, and therefore may be opened without a warrant.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Muck and Mire posted:

Kind of offtopic but I just imagined someone stopping right at the CO border, getting out and furiously smoking all of the rest of his weed while staring down a cop on the Kansas side

If the smoke wafts across the state line does that count as trafficking?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

Has a police officer ever burst into your home to search you for drugs? (I'm assuming no) Have you ever been pulled over before? (I'm assuming yes)

Anyway, this is all incidental. Even if you are naive enough to think that most people get caught at the time of purchase or the time of use, everyone else knows better. Very few people are going to specifically travel to Colorado to buy drugs so that they can then travel back home to use them. If you want drugs there are safer and more convenient ways to get them then to take a pilgrimage to Colorado.

I also think there is a general overestimation on the number of people who care. The idea of this huge population of people who are both for legalization, but do not currently use because of arbitrary legal status, and are chomping at the bit to take a roadtrip to colorado specifically to use legally is so specific and bizarre that it's not even worth talking about.

Sure some people will take a vacation to colorado for a weed tour, sure some people vacationing in colorado will try weed incidentally, but at the end of the day, it's just a recreational activity and it is competing with a huge number of other recreational activities, there is nothing special about it.

State Legalization is not that big of a deal.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 13, 2013

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

Pretty much. A friend of a friend has his weed shipped in from California. It was caught once, but literally all they did was leave a note in his mailbox stating something along the lines of "Hey, we found illegal drugs being shipped to this address, just wanted to tell you someone was shipping illegal stuff to you." It cost him a pretty penny to not get the weed, as it was ~6 oz of medical marijuana from California, but losing some money is a lot better than legal action and imprisonment. He stopped getting shipments in for a couple of months to be safe, and then just had his California connection start mailing it to a friend of his.

twodot posted:

Don't have an actual citation for you, but I grew up in one of the top drug interdiction counties in the United States. The majority of drug busts around there, in both quantity of arrests and quantity of drugs seized, come from people being pulled over while passing through. Every level of law enforcement there, from the podunk city cops to the state police and DEA, were far more interested in pulling over people passing through on major highways or the interstate than they were in doing small-time busts with the locals, especially for marijuana. Why spend your time and money arresting kids for a few grams of weed when you could instead pull over every person coming from the South until you find a cartel mule carrying dozens of pounds?
It's going to be a similar situation around Colorado once legalization really takes off. If you're leaving Colorado and don't have Colorado plates, law enforcement is going to find an excuse to pull you over and search the vehicle on the off chance you're stupid enough to try and bring a couple of ounces back home.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it

Jizz Festival posted:

it's not likely that the police are suddenly going to swoop into the home/parking lot/wherever you're at at the very moment you're buying your drugs.

This actually happened to a friend of mine. The police just happened to be there for completely unrelated situation (I think someone had called in some kind of sexual harassment thing) and I guess the police saw two black people get into a car and then one leave and pounced.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Powercrazy posted:

I'm sorry, I phrased it wrong. What I mean by passing through is, for example, someone driving through Colorado to get somewhere else and getting a hotel/motel room for the night. I do not condone driving under the influence, nor do I advocate crossing state lines with cannabis in your possession. And if you don't think cops are going to be lined up waiting for people coming out of Colorado, you're more than likely wrong. I have nothing to back it up, but I would assume that once everything in Colorado gets the green light to proceed, Cops in all the bordering states will be anxiously awaiting to 'serve & protect'.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Powercrazy posted:

Sure some people will take a vacation to colorado for a weed tour, sure some people vacationing in colorado will try weed incidentally, but at the end of the day, it's just a recreational activity and it is competing with a huge number of other recreational activities, there is nothing special about it.

State Legalization is not that big of a deal.

C'mon, think like a capitalist, this is gonna be a huge deal. Just as one example, if I was a music promoter I would be planning lots of big events and festivals in WA and CO right about now. Why wouldn't people start thinking of places where WEED IS LEGAL as the ideal destination for reggae, hip-hop, jam band, and metal fests? Big music events are something that people will travel for and spend money on and legalization in those states is going to make that even more attractive, both for the audience and the bands. Basically anyone in charge of any sort of large cultural event will be eyeing CO and WA as potential venues. poo poo, the X-Games promoters are probably still high-fiving and whooping over the all but guaranteed increase in attendance in Aspen in 2014. Apparently, they were looking at other possible locations for the winter games but I'd be willing bet there were a lot of sad faces in ski resort towns around the country when CO passed legalization.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Smoking is illegal at lots of public venues, weed smoking isn't going to be any different. In fact if the promoters mess it up too much, you'll start having the busy-bodies that got cigarette smoking barred from bars and clubs, start pushing to make smoking at ANY public venue illegal. So all of a sudden your Reggae festival is smoke free.

Weed smoke is particularly bad because of how pungent it is compared to (mostly filler) Cigarette smoke.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

So all of a sudden your Reggae festival is smoke free.

You know, I'm not quite sure you know what you're talking about here

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Powercrazy posted:

I also think there is a general overestimation on the number of people who care. The idea of this huge population of people who are both for legalization, but do not currently use because of arbitrary legal status, and are chomping at the bit to take a roadtrip to colorado specifically to use legally is so specific and bizarre that it's not even worth talking about.

Either you don't understand how lovely it is to buy weed from a dealer or you are in a unique position where your dealer has regular hours, is friendly and helpful, and has hundreds of different options to choose from. It isn't about people who will only smoke when it is legal, its about people who love smoking good weed in an awesome environment.

Powercrazy posted:

Smoking is illegal at lots of public venues, weed smoking isn't going to be any different. In fact if the promoters mess it up too much, you'll start having the busy-bodies that got cigarette smoking barred from bars and clubs, start pushing to make smoking at ANY public venue illegal. So all of a sudden your Reggae festival is smoke free.

Weed smoke is particularly bad because of how pungent it is compared to (mostly filler) Cigarette smoke.

You don't know what you are talking about if you seriously think that weed smoke is more of a problem than cigs. Weed smells bad when you smoke it but it sure as hell doesn't trash carpet/drapes the way that cigarettes will.

Edit: public intoxication is illegal which is why no one can drink at any music festivals
:goonsay:

Miltank fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 13, 2013

enbot
Jun 7, 2013

800peepee51doodoo posted:

C'mon, think like a capitalist, this is gonna be a huge deal. Just as one example, if I was a music promoter I would be planning lots of big events and festivals in WA and CO right about now. Why wouldn't people start thinking of places where WEED IS LEGAL as the ideal destination for reggae, hip-hop, jam band, and metal fests? Big music events are something that people will travel for and spend money on and legalization in those states is going to make that even more attractive, both for the audience and the bands. Basically anyone in charge of any sort of large cultural event will be eyeing CO and WA as potential venues. poo poo, the X-Games promoters are probably still high-fiving and whooping over the all but guaranteed increase in attendance in Aspen in 2014. Apparently, they were looking at other possible locations for the winter games but I'd be willing bet there were a lot of sad faces in ski resort towns around the country when CO passed legalization.

Yea it's pretty naive to think there won't be a sizable bump in tourism from this.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

enbot posted:

Yea it's pretty naive to think there won't be a sizable bump in tourism from this.

Isn't Colorado already marketing 420 friendly hotels?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tab8715 posted:

Isn't Colorado already marketing 420 friendly hotels?

If so, that one seems likely to bring the DEA down on their heads. I seem to remember them already using asset forfeiture to seize a hotel because there were like a half dozen drug busts over the course of a couple years (and the city wanted them gone).

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
I remember back in the late 90s fireworks were being cracked down on in Colorado and driving from Denver to just across the boarder was what everyone was doing. (Remember the South Park episode about the giant snake firework?) Anyway I used to go with my uncle all the time and he'd put the big bag of fireworks underneath my seat because we always got pulled over and questioned right as we crossed back from WY into CO. I would think a similar situation will happen with weed. Of course there is still probable cause needed to search a vehicle so it may not be that productive.

Colorado MMJ is already being trafficked around the country and chances are if you are east of CO and smoking some dank nugs it's probably CO bud.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21221031/colorados-medical-pot-industry-fuels-illegal-trade-review

quote:

The review found more than 70 instances of the diversion of medical marijuana to criminal drug operations. In the report, the Drug Enforcement Administration suggested Colorado is on track to become a primary source of supply for high-grade marijuana throughout the country.

Colorado patients, caregivers and dispensaries all have diverted medical marijuana to illegal use in 23 states, according to the review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enbot
Jun 7, 2013
They just sit in trees on the IL/IN border and watch plates, that's enough for PC.

• Locked thread