Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

I wonder if Apple will let that gift message go by :)

I should have gotten that engraved on my old iPod Touch I got for free with my MBP, heh.

512GB though, that's going to be niiiice to have. I think I would splurge like that on a retina Air (or just a 13" air with a higher-res screen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
I'm curious if the 512GB will outperform the others similarly to other SSDs, or if they all hit roughly the same iops. Can't wait for Barefeats and some other sites to do some benching.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I have a 13" Macbook Air and an external 21" Dell display. A few months ago - not sure exactly when - the monitor stopped making available any resolutions at the same aspect ratio as my preferred 1440 x 900 for the Macbook Air, leaving the disconcerting experience of two very different representations.

(left is my macbook air, right is the external display)

Any idea what is going on?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Petey posted:

I have a 13" Macbook Air and an external 21" Dell display. A few months ago - not sure exactly when - the monitor stopped making available any resolutions at the same aspect ratio as my preferred 1440 x 900 for the Macbook Air, leaving the disconcerting experience of two very different representations.

(left is my macbook air, right is the external display)

Any idea what is going on?

Are you using some lovely VGA cable or something?

If I'm not mistaken, the Dell display should say something like DELL211FP in the title bar of the window. Not just 'display'.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
^^ Yeah, if you're not using a DVI/HDMI cable with your (I assume) Thunderbolt/MDP adaptor, sometimes the OS has difficulty figuring out exactly what's on the other end.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Weirdly: a permissions repair fixed it. I should have done that before I posted. But now the aspect ratio / resolution works and the name shows up.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Quine Connoisseur posted:

I did, but I'm kind of regretting it now. Oh well. I just recently popped a 256 GB SSD that was previously in my desktop into the Late 2008 MacBook Pro that this'll be replacing, too. That one is limited to SATA I because of the stupid MCP79 bug though.

Preparing for shipment! :dance: :f5:

Mine's preparing now, too :hfive:

On the 512 gigs, I don't think it's SUCH a big deal when you're already getting the other options plus AppleCare. I want to be able to have a somewhat reasonably sized boot camp partition. The SSD upgrade to 512 gigs was about $300, I think it was $500 for the 2012 models, so these things are getting better.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
So I have 2011 iMac and a new IPS monitor that supports 2560x1440 resolution but with the Thunderbolt-VGA cable I had I can't get near that... I can't tell from the description; will this give me the output I need? http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Dis...erbolt+dual+dvi

Is there anything else I can get besides the loving $100 adapter from Apple? Many of the cheaper things don't seem to support higher resolutions.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 13, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

So I have 2011 iMac and a new IPS monitor that supports 2560x1440 resolution but with the Thunderbolt-VGA cable I had I can't get near that... I can't tell from the description; will this give me the output I need? http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Dis...erbolt+dual+dvi

Is there anything else I can get besides the loving $100 adapter from Apple? Many of the cheaper things don't seem to support higher resolutions.

If your monitor doesn't have DisplayPort you will need to use the dual DVI adapter...

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

If your monitor doesn't have DisplayPort you will need to use the dual DVI adapter...

Oh, is that what this is telling me. Well, drat it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

It says this literally right under the price:

quote:

Supports DisplayPort 1.1a "Dual-Mode" output with a maximum resolution of 2560x1600
Supports HDMI and DVI output with a maximum max resolution of 1920x1080p at 60Hz, 225MHz/2.25Gbps per channel (6.75Gbps all channel), 12-bit per channel (36-bit all channel) deep color

so it'll do up to 2560x1600 over DisplayPort but only up to 1920x1080 over DVI or HDMI.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I'm currently using a 2008 13" Macbook (the unibody model before the 13" was rebranded as MBP) but I've upgraded it a few times over the years so it has a new-ish battery, hard-drive and ram and whatever the max processor available at the time of purchase was (1.7?) and runs pretty well.

I use it to make music, play music through Traktor, photo editing and design work in Adobe CS5 and some light movie editing in iMovie.

I've been thinking about getting a new laptop in the near future (not for any particular reason other than wanting a new shiny gadget that isn't 5 years old) but it would have to have a DVD drive and a high capacity hdd (I have at least 600gb of media on my laptop and twice that on external drives) as I really don't want to have to worry about being constantly connected to an external drive when I'm playing music or needing to shuffle photos and things off my internal hdd every few weeks.

Looking at apple.com this morning I could get a non-retina 15" MBP with maxed-out specs & an optical drive for ~$3k (Australian pricing) or a 15" rMBP for ~$4k but no optical drive and only a 512gb hdd which I really feel isn't going to be sufficient for me. It doesn't really seem worthwhile to upgrade to a non-retina model when my current laptop is working totally fine but the rMBP seems like a downgrade for my needs.

So my question is, is there any chance that Apple will introduce an rMBP with an optical drive or even an option for a higher-capacity hdd in the next 6 months? The next year? Ever? Would the new non-retina MBP be $3k better than my current model? How do I justify throwing money at Apple when their new products really don't match my needs?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

cyberia posted:

So my question is, is there any chance that Apple will introduce an rMBP with an optical drive or even an option for a higher-capacity hdd in the next 6 months?

No

cyberia posted:

Would the new non-retina MBP be $3k better than my current model?

Vastly, not even close. You'll also get a few hundred back from resale.

cyberia posted:

How do I justify throwing money at Apple when their new products really don't match my needs?

Change your needs :v:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

movax posted:

I should have gotten that engraved on my old iPod Touch I got for free with my MBP, heh.

I still marvel at this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003
I am so grumpy about the lack of rMBP refresh! I'm about to start a new job on the 1st and I was hoping for a haswell laptop. I do development and I ideally need a few virtual machines running at once so it's probably unfun trying to squeeze that onto the air with only 8G of ram.

I can't really wait either, I sort of have to take what's on offer when I start, so I was really hoping Apple would come through in time. I'll end up taking the retina as it is and griping for a year as soon as they announce the updates.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

Maggot Monster posted:

I am so grumpy about the lack of rMBP refresh! I'm about to start a new job on the 1st and I was hoping for a haswell laptop. I do development and I ideally need a few virtual machines running at once so it's probably unfun trying to squeeze that onto the air with only 8G of ram.

I can't really wait either, I sort of have to take what's on offer when I start, so I was really hoping Apple would come through in time. I'll end up taking the retina as it is and griping for a year as soon as they announce the updates.

Just curious but what guest OSes are you running, and how many instances?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeast posted:

I still marvel at this.

This is why I wish they engraved iPhones, I would have done something like that.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Maggot Monster posted:

Could be because they were waiting for nVidia to get the successor to the GeForce 650M for its discrete GPU out the door and in quantities great enough to include in rMBPs.. possibly the GTX 780M? Although if I know Apple, they'll probably go for something cheaper in quantity, maybe the GT 750M..

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Even odds they'll adopt the integrated Iris chips for both 13" and 15" models, even if it's technically a sidegrade at best for GPU performance and more expensive besides. Apple engineers hate how messy and power hungry swapping between two chipsets is.

I assume that's what the delay was about.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
Since Apple didn't update the MBP with Haswell I've been looking at used machines. A decent late 2011 17" showed up on CL today with Apple Care. Specs say ram is only upgradable to 8GB but I was trying to nail down a good price and eBay has a few late 2011 models saying they're coming with 16GB. Did Apple release a firmware update?

What's a good price for this model? Late 2011, 17", 2.4GHz quad i7, 4GB Ram (Though I plan to max it out right away), 1 GB Radeon HD 6770M graphics.

Anything else I should look out for with this particular model?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

flavor posted:

Mine's preparing now, too :hfive:

:smuggo:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Hogscraper posted:

A decent late 2011 17" showed up on CL today with Apple Care. Specs say ram is only upgradable to 8GB but I was trying to nail down a good price and eBay has a few late 2011 models saying they're coming with 16GB. Did Apple release a firmware update?
I believe all the 2011 MBPs (early and late) can take 16GB despite Apple's online spec pages saying 8GB. OWC sells 16GB for all those models.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Hogscraper posted:

Since Apple didn't update the MBP with Haswell I've been looking at used machines. A decent late 2011 17" showed up on CL today with Apple Care. Specs say ram is only upgradable to 8GB but I was trying to nail down a good price and eBay has a few late 2011 models saying they're coming with 16GB. Did Apple release a firmware update?

What's a good price for this model? Late 2011, 17", 2.4GHz quad i7, 4GB Ram (Though I plan to max it out right away), 1 GB Radeon HD 6770M graphics.

Anything else I should look out for with this particular model?

$1,899 if you get it from Apple.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD311LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-24ghz-quad-core-intel-i7

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tirinal posted:

Even odds they'll adopt the integrated Iris chips for both 13" and 15" models, even if it's technically a sidegrade at best for GPU performance and more expensive besides. Apple engineers hate how messy and power hungry swapping between two chipsets is.

I assume that's what the delay was about.

Could be that, but related is that thunderbolt 2 isn't ready yet either; if these new rMBPs are going to drive a 4k display, they need that too whatever GPU they use.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Is it possible for an everyman to order a battery (661-5391) for a Uni/Late '09 MacBook from Apple or the appropriate OEM? I wouldn't trust Amazon; maybe iFixit. Are there any advantages to paying $129 (~140) in-store? I'm guessing best chance at consistent charge capacity, and looks like a 1 year battery warranty. I would love a way to save at least $40 on the official product though, in-store blessing be damned.
...I just got a polycarbonate for peanuts.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 13, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Pfft... not like mine hasn't yet :mmmsmug:

Splinter posted:

I believe all the 2011 MBPs (early and late) can take 16GB despite Apple's online spec pages saying 8GB.

I have an early 2011 17" MBP and yes, 16GB works. You'll need 2x8GB.

Mactracker is a good app to check specs.

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

Kenshirou posted:

Just curious but what guest OSes are you running, and how many instances?

Mostly different distributions of Linux. I had Debian, Ubuntu (annoyingly they are just different enough to need testing at times), Centos 5 and Centos 6 running while testing. If I had things setup properly it would probably be between about 20 different distributions/OS, including FreeBSD and Solaris. I can rework my workflow to run a lot of the vagrant stuff on a remote server if I really wanted to and just run one or two at a time locally which wouldn't be so bad.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

Maggot Monster posted:

Mostly different distributions of Linux. I had Debian, Ubuntu (annoyingly they are just different enough to need testing at times), Centos 5 and Centos 6 running while testing. If I had things setup properly it would probably be between about 20 different distributions/OS, including FreeBSD and Solaris. I can rework my workflow to run a lot of the vagrant stuff on a remote server if I really wanted to and just run one or two at a time locally which wouldn't be so bad.

Gotcha. I myself do virtualization for work but not on a huge level, just a few dozen servers I manage as well as stuff I do at home and was just curious what your plans were. What sort of development is it anyways? I regret buying my powerhouse laptop for virtualization (was running wheezy and xen) and will just switch to managing my home stuff on a server.

edit: jealous of your shipping notices in this thread. My Airport Extreme is ready but my guess it won't ship until the Air is ready too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kenshirou posted:

I regret buying my powerhouse laptop for virtualization
Why's that?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey dudes! I have a couple of questions regarding repairs. I have a mid-2010 13" MBP that's still under Applecare until mid-July and I have a couple of issues with it and was wondering whether Apple will cover/replace them:

1) Three of the bottom rubber feet are missing (all fell off pretty recently)
2) I have a mark on my screen from the keyboard (has been in my backpack with heavy textbooks and such)

I'm fairly confident Apple will replace the bottom feet, but will Apple replace the screen or will I be SOL?

Also, when I do go in to get it sorted out (at least the feet), do I have to return it to the stock HDD? I've currently got a Samsung 830 SSD in there.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

Bob Morales posted:

Why's that?

I'm so used to having something thin and light that it feels like a step backwards to have a 7lb laptop when I could pretty much do all of the same poo poo but faster on my desktop and remote in. I guess in my mind I was thinking it would be rad to have a mobile lab for messing around but in reality it would have been better to build a cheap/small whitebox for 1/2 the cost. I also miss the Apple trackpad and the better battery life, among other things. Having to be tethered to power while you're just trying to do stuff on the couch watching Netflix with this thing pushing a ton of heat out of one exhaust on the left side just makes me never want to use it unless it's on a table.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Kenshirou posted:

edit: jealous of your shipping notices in this thread. My Airport Extreme is ready but my guess it won't ship until the Air is ready too.

They shipped my time capsule two days before the Air.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Mine's still chillin' and hasn't moved past preparing for shipment for the last 2 days. I almost got the TC but I figure 2TB is overkill for me and I already have a USB3 enclosure with a spare 256GB SSD I can use for backups. I'm just excited to have a new router because gently caress my lovely Actiontec's wifi range.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

flavor posted:

Pfft... not like mine hasn't yet :mmmsmug:

Apple's email said it'd deliver on the 18th, but UPS' tracking thing says tomorrow?! I guess it's possible, but since I got standard shipping I figured it'd literally be on the slow boat from China.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kenshirou posted:

I'm so used to having something thin and light that it feels like a step backwards to have a 7lb laptop when I could pretty much do all of the same poo poo but faster on my desktop and remote in. I guess in my mind I was thinking it would be rad to have a mobile lab for messing around but in reality it would have been better to build a cheap/small whitebox for 1/2 the cost. I also miss the Apple trackpad and the better battery life, among other things. Having to be tethered to power while you're just trying to do stuff on the couch watching Netflix with this thing pushing a ton of heat out of one exhaust on the left side just makes me never want to use it unless it's on a table.

Gotcha, I thought you meant the laptop wasn't powerful enough.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Guni posted:

1) Three of the bottom rubber feet are missing (all fell off pretty recently)

Very likely, those feet wear down on a regular basis. Apple replaces normal 'wear and tear' parts frequently.

quote:

2) I have a mark on my screen from the keyboard (has been in my backpack with heavy textbooks and such)

I'm fairly confident Apple will replace the bottom feet, but will Apple replace the screen or will I be SOL?

SOL. Unless you can prove mental anguish and suffering somehow. If you explain how it got that way, they will say accidental damage is not covered.

quote:

Also, when I do go in to get it sorted out (at least the feet), do I have to return it to the stock HDD? I've currently got a Samsung 830 SSD in there.

Probably not, since they can't blame either problem on an SSD.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yes, the feet are covered by AppleCare, you may have to wait a little bit for someone to glue them on.

As for the display, it probably won't be repaired for a cosmetic issue unless you get someone generous to help you.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Guni posted:

If Apple tells you to get stuffed, I THINK you can get a new glass bezel for less than $50 on eBay, heat gun the old one off and put the new one on. You don't have to replace the whole screen. YMMV, etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Engadget reviewed the new 13" Air and got 12:51 worth of runtime playing video, with wifi on.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/13/macbook-air-review/

Geekbench and Xbench scores are slightly lower than the 2012 model, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bob Morales posted:

Engadget reviewed the new 13" Air and got 12:51 worth of runtime playing video, with wifi on.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/13/macbook-air-review/

Geekbench and Xbench scores are slightly lower than the 2012 model, however.

Huh. Well, now certainly I don't regret my decision to put my stock 2011 13" Airs on the online classifieds to finance an upgrade to this one. $1000 asking but would certainly take $850. Luckily there is a real paucity of available secondhand Macs in my area, with a few small universities in spitting distance, but has anyone seen the price point on refurb stock 2011 13" Airs on the online Apple Store lately?