Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germ
May 7, 2013

krushgroove posted:

Yes, definitely the May Detektuv's Jurnal counts here - while making the terrain is fabulous and it looks great, I can't say it really counts as adding battle damage to a model.

Got it. The jurnal was intended to get folks to PAINT battle damage, not convert/scratch-build it. My bad, I thought I had a clever interpretation of the intent of the challenge. Would the build pics of the model count toward the previous journal, or do they need to be in progress pics of the painting? I'm learning, I'm learning!

By the way, autocorrect hates Ork-speak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Well hey, I certainly did not anticipate wrecked vehicle markers or terrain being used as a themed group!

I'm gonna say 'why not', as there's a great deal of potential for themed damage/wreck markers and terrain that brings whole battlefields together with a theme.

Awesome markers by the way!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
You can cut/convert a model into having battle damage (for example drilling a hole in a tank and painting it so it looks like melta/lascannon damage), it doesn't have to be 100% paint effects, but you've basically sculpted something, cloned it and painted it. While we have had and will have small bonuses that give points for conversions, giving points for full-on sculpting is not the focus of the oath thread, it's about painting. It is a very clever interpretation :) but we can't give the rest of the folks the impression that sculpting and casting stuff is a way to get extra points where it's not really intended. That's why I said we have to adjudicate things for the interpretation of the rules, even if they don't cover ever possible outcome or eventuality.

I would say in this case the build pics count towards the WIP pictures from May's Jurnal so you get the point for doing a prevous Jurnal, but not the extra point for doing battle damage for this month's Jurnal.

Germ
May 7, 2013

gently caress it, I've never painted battle damage before, and from a wreckage perspective, it makes sense, no? Still time left, so....

COMPLETED OATH REVISED

I say, I do declare .... OATH COMPLETE!

As these are markers/game aids, I'm going to claim either I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 or Terrain The markers are intended as wreck markers and not stand alone terrain, but I'll take what I can get!
I'm hoping that wrecked vehicle markers fit the Detektiv's Jurnal of Battle Damage pretty well. To add to that, I've painted some scarring on the blue portions of the wreckage, revealing the (no longer) living metal beneath. I know such techniques are part and parcel to ork players, but I've never done it before!
I'm also claiming Speed Painting, though I probably should have waited for the polyurethane varnish to dry before applying the static grass. Oops. Timestamp for finish revised.

Ineptmule, thanks a gazillion for granting me a Themed Group!

OK, I'm going to go play a game where, hopefully, I don't have to use these!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright, as of now I've credited you for: A complete oath, with basing, the 2-point June Detektuv's Jurnal, Speed Paint, and a Themed Group.

I have not given credit for I rolled a 6, nor for a conversion.

As krushgroove said, this is basically making a judgement call and then trying to make that call consistent for everyone, even if in some cases it winds up being kind of splitting hairs. We never know if 1 point could separate someone from a grand prize or not, or which grand prize, and particularly the grand prizes are worth significant money so I feel a responsibility to be both completely transparent, and carefully fair, about every point I hand out. And I do not begrudge anyone for trying to earn every point they can, because there's strong incentives to do so.

If anyone feels either Krushgroove or I have made a wrong call please let us know, in the thread or privately at your preference.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Alright, as of now I've credited you for: A complete oath, with basing, the 2-point June Detektuv's Jurnal, Speed Paint, and a Themed Group.

I have not given credit for I rolled a 6, nor for a conversion.

Perfect, thanks! Sorry to be such a pain!

Germ fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 12, 2013

Rahotep75
May 21, 2012

I'm just a wild and crazy kind of god.
I, Rahotep75, oath to paint two Warhammer Fantasy Skaven Warpfire Throwers, from Games Workshop!

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

krushgroove posted:

I would say in this case the build pics count towards the WIP pictures from May's Jurnal so you get the point for doing a prevous Jurnal, but not the extra point for doing battle damage for this month's Jurnal.

Leperflesh posted:

Which of you is correct? A single point for the May Jurnal, or two points for the June Jurnal? Not trying to nitpick, but like you just said, a single point can make a big difference. :)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Schmetterling posted:

Which of you is correct? A single point for the May Jurnal, or two points for the June Jurnal? Not trying to nitpick, but like you just said, a single point can make a big difference. :)

He went back and added battle damage after krushgroove's post, so leperflesh giving him 2 points for the journal should be correct (by my reading)

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Ah, didn't see that. I was just confused by the contradictory statements in quick succession.

Also, those wreck markers are really cool.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: SOME MONTHLY PRIZE WINNERS NEED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH ME :siren:

I've heard from most of you, but not all of you.

I need name & addresses for:
Ledgem
A_Bluenoser
Namenlos

Ledgem - I also need to know what Dragon Forge products you want (up to $12.50 value, give me the product number and complete name) from the Dragon Forge website: http://dragonforge.com/

For the rest of you prize winners, your loot will be in the mail very soon!

e: it's actually easier for me to get email (because I can search for emails, can't with PMs) so please email me at krushgroove169 at gmail with your info

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 12, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Booley posted:

He went back and added battle damage after krushgroove's post, so leperflesh giving him 2 points for the journal should be correct (by my reading)

This is it exactly. But thanks for asking, it's best that everyone know what's going on.

e. Germ is now our points leader, with 27 points!

By the way, I've just updated the Grand Prizes sheet on the spreadsheet. It now automatically sorts all goons by their current points totals, so you can see exactly what order you're in. If you're tied with someone, the order is arbitrary (we have not established a tiebreaker metric) so please don't focus on that, but if you're interested in seeing where you rank, that's the place to look.

Bear in mind that mid-month, the top pointspeople are going to mostly be the ones who have completed their June oaths already. But there isn't really a "best time" to look, because by the time I have the monthly Judging points added, the following month will have been going for a few days at least, so there will already be some new oaths in (with the 1 point for oathing, if Sole.Sushi has approved any Oaths by that point).

Still, it should give you some idea of where you stand, regarding the race for the grand prizes.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 12, 2013

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I am almost done with my Vindicator so I thought I would take try two more vehicles, just hope this doesn't turn me into an oath breaker :ohdear:

If anyone has any suggestions for me on my vindicator they would be most appreciated.

I tried pre and post shading it with an airbrush, I liked the way it turned out, but I was worried it was to dull. After exploring some options I tried to put some decals on and I have struggles to get them seamless, but I am pretty sure with a little more work they will get acceptable.

Looks like you did the same thing I did with my vindicator. The side armor is actually made to slot over the body and go flush against it. It looks fine with the gap; it's just now how it is supposed to go together.

But like I said, I made the same mistake so you're not alone. :downs:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

:siren:OATH COMPLETE!:siren: one pair of UCM Falcon Gunships for Dropzone Commander and three epic scale carnifexes

:siren:The Detektuv’s Jurnal::siren:

Comparison of before painting / after painting pics here so the 'damage' is more obvious.. Mr Carnifex here is sporting a few lovely wounds, with gribbly pink bits dribbling out of a squishy fleshy bit of his back :3:

:siren:One-time bonus:siren:

Speed painting!
Wanted to get this one out of the way whilst I knew I had time to squeeze these guys out..

If you look closely in the 'done' photo, you can still see wet paint on the bases :3:

Before:

After:

ninja edit: if I'm missing a basing point due to the flying stands, let me know and I'll do *something* for them :)

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I add 2 Nurgle Heldrakes to my June oath. :siren:
I cannot take credit for the conversion work, it was done by talented forums member BuffaloChicken. I'll reiterate in the oath complete post so I don't receive undue credit!

These are converted from Games Workshop models.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Holy crap, but those are gorgeous! I can recognize Blight Drone and are those Tervigon bellys? Any way we could get a complete bits list? Really looking forward to seeing these painted!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Germ posted:

Holy crap, but those are gorgeous! I can recognize Blight Drone and are those Tervigon bellys? Any way we could get a complete bits list? Really looking forward to seeing these painted!

You have most of it already! The only parts you are missing are fly components from the new Plague Drone kit.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Can I give BuffaloChicken your creativity points then?

But a creative paintjob...

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
All hail the Buffalo Chicken. Those look like a real pleasure to paint (also they look really gross).

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Those are the coolest conversions.

:11tea: I, The Supreme Court, Oath 1 Junker Legionnaire by iKore (28mm) for June :11tea:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oh look it's the 13th and I have only primed my five dudes. This is what I get for oathing something that wasn't already assembled. Dammit!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

The Supreme Court posted:

I, The Supreme Court, Oath 1 Junker Legionnaire by iKore (28mm) for June

Rahotep75 posted:

I, Rahotep75, oath to paint two Warhammer Fantasy Skaven Warpfire Throwers, from Games Workshop!

Red Shoe posted:

I add 2 Nurgle Heldrakes to my June oath.

Accepted.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
This'll probably be an unmitigated disaster, but:

:siren: I, OneTrueBru, oath an additional AoBR Ork Deffkopta for June :siren:

Quoting my original completed June Oath:

OneTrueBru posted:

:confuoot: OneTrueBru, Oath Complete! :krakentoot:

Unfortunately I'm stuck using a borrowed ipad camera again, so these aren't the best photos. I tried using a backdrop but the lack of exposure (or is it aperture?) control meant that everything just got completely washed out, so I just stuck with the low-effort option. I did remember to re-size, at least.

I've missed out on the Jurnal points this time around, as battered wargear would make him look out-of-place next to his squadmates. I briefly considered scuffing up his chainsword, but figured that would be a bit too lazy to count.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Ashcans posted:

Oh look it's the 13th and I have only primed my five dudes. This is what I get for oathing something that wasn't already assembled. Dammit!

Yeah, I really should get around to priming my elves so I can start on my Oath.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hell, I need to get around to oathing! I've been busy finishing up 5 Nurgle Terminators, 20 Chaos Marines and my Heldrake so I haven't thought about what to paint next.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
With June fast ticking away, Galaspar will oath four Imperial Guardsmen and a Lascannon Team
Theses are conversions mixing parts from Games Workshop, Victoria Lamb and Dragon Forge

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
I, Hermetic oath 1 kitbashed Ordo Malleus Inquisitor

It is a conversion, using 28mm parts by Games Workshop, some putty, and maybe a chain (not pictured).

Additionally: Awwww, it's a baby!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

enri posted:

ninja edit: if I'm missing a basing point due to the flying stands, let me know and I'll do *something* for them :)

You're good, those guys clearly go on clear flying bases for the game.

Galaspar posted:

With June fast ticking away, Galaspar will oath four Imperial Guardsmen and a Lascannon Team
Theses are conversions mixing parts from Games Workshop, Victoria Lamb and Dragon Forge

Welcome!

I'll need a "before" photo, similar to what Hermetic has done, for me to give you credit for doing a conversion. The above photo looks like an "after" photo of the completed conversion work.

The goal for the conversion contest is to show off not only that you did a conversion, but also how you did your conversion. In some cases that's obvious when it's just some green stuff applied, but I still want to see it in a photo.

the rules posted:

For you conversion fanatics, Manifest will be sponsoring a prize for the best conversion job every quarter! Here are his rules: All you have to do is post pictures of your converted model BEFORE and AFTER you have finished converting. Work-in-progress photos would be even better! Make sure you are properly entered into this mini-competition by saying This is an entry to Manifests's conversion contest!

...Actually, so many people are running afoul of this complication that I'm going to raise the issue with Krushgroove. It may be we've not clearly indicated what we are looking for in the rules.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 14, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Humidity at 60%+ all day. No worries, I didn't want to prime anything today or anything. :negative:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Only 60%? :smug:

That's exactly why I use gesso. It makes priming possible in Houston. Too bad I never have the time to actually paint.

Edit: \/\/\/\/\/
Completely understood. I only ever prime grey or black, depending on the army.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 14, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Safety Factor posted:

Only 60%? :smug:

That's exactly why I use gesso. It makes priming possible in Houston. Too bad I never have the time to actually paint.

I would totally use gesso if not for the fact that I'm priming white, of which the gesso variety is shoddy.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Liquitex makes a good light grey gesso.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

bhsman posted:

Humidity at 60%+ all day. No worries, I didn't want to prime anything today or anything. :negative:
Just run outside, spray prime, and run back inside if you have air conditioning. I did that last summer when it was 80something and humid for a week at a time.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:
Ground Zero Games/Rebel Miniatures/MicroPanzer 15mm Sci-Fi
- Themed Group
- Battle Damage (Jurnal)
- Parts list
- Double the Fun!

We got ourselves a Themed Group

And our poor scout APC got his headlight shot out for some Battle Damage

I am particularly pround of the little guys, they were fun and frustrating to paint at the same time. Sometimes hard to tell in the picture but that's 5 guys based on a 40mm round.

And a throwback to my 40K days, I made a little tank commander with a melee weapon.

Parts List:

Base/Body: Vallejo Dark Sea Grey ->Medium Sea Grey ->Light Sea Grey
Helmets/Vehicles panels: GW Fire Dragon Bright ->just adding white to highlight
Windows/Visors: Reaper Master Series Surf Aqua ->white to highlight
Gloves/Boots: Vallejo German Army Beige ->PP Menoth White highlight
Shiney bits: GW Leadbelchter->liberal amounts of Vallejo Air Chrome (mithril silver can eat it's heart out)
Bases: 40mm Rounds by Gale force Nine, coverd in Piedra Pomez (pumice/acrylic mixture)GW Vermin Brown-> PPRucksack Tan-> PP Menoth White Highlight
Tires: GW Chaos Black mixed with some Kantor Blue, adding VJ light Sea Grey to highlight
Oddz n Endz: GW Evil Sunz Scarlet->Blazing Orange->Frie Dragon Bright
Washes: Nuln Oil for the silver bits, Devlen Mud for bases
Grass Tufts by Army Painter (sorry I threw the label away along time ago, not sure which color)
Antannae: end bit of a guitar string
Axe: piece of brass rod, a tiny drill and small piece of a GW Necron staff

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 14, 2013

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh man, those are cool.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I love how those look! How does the game play? Feel free to email or PM me with an answer. Not that I need to get into another game but those do look really cool.

Leperflesh posted:

...Actually, so many people are running afoul of this complication that I'm going to raise the issue with Krushgroove. It may be we've not clearly indicated what we are looking for in the rules.

Yeah I've updated the How to Make an Oath section of the OP to:

quote:

8. Is your model a conversion? There's a special mini-competition every quarter for the best conversion - this requires a BEFORE PICTURE as well as the AFTER picture (which is your Oath Complete picture).

EDIT, because :siren: I STILL NEED ADDRESSES FOR THESE PRIZE WINNERS :siren:

Ledgem
A_Bluenoser
Namenlos

Ledgem - I also need to know what Dragon Forge products you want (up to $12.50 value, give me the product number and complete name) from the Dragon Forge website: http://dragonforge.com/It's actually easier for me to get email (because I can search for emails, can't with PMs) so please email me at krushgroove169 at gmail with your info

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 14, 2013

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I don't really have a game for them yet. I am working on my own rules and need some playtesting armies, so you will probably see their rivals in the next few months. Also I have a 'Mech and drones for them, combining models from about 6 different companies to make the armies how I want them to look. It's actually awesoem to have the freedom to get what you like the look of and then scour the interwebs for stuff that can fit in theme.

Future War Commander would work, or could base the infantry individually and play Gruntz or Sector 13.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 14, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I Grey hunter, would like to add the following two Gladiators from the Spartacus Serpent and the Wolf expansion.

I need to get them done by my next games day on the 7th of July, so I may as well get some credit for them.

EDIT -Dammit, work you stupid pictures

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Yeah I've updated the How to Make an Oath section of the OP to:

I think the issue is that people think a "before picture" means "before I paint" when what we want is "before I do the conversion work".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah, I see, I see. OK, changed it to:

'requires a PRE-CONVERSION PICTURE. Pre-Conversion means before cutting anything or adding on any bits.'

• Locked thread