Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

FrozenVent posted:

It's only in stores, and obviously if someone has changed the price or moved an item around it doesn't apply. Turns out I was wrong, it's not 10% off, it's 10$.

http://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consumer/what-every-consumer-should-know/price-error/#.UbiiVr5zbIU

You presented that really dishonestly. First of all, the law only applies to stores that choose to participate. In other words if you don't participate then the law doesn't apply, but you have to individually label your goods. If you do participate in the policy, then you don't need to label goods individually, but instead can put up signs like "All shirts on this table $20". It seems to mostly be for consignment shops and the like. Even if you participate the law wouldn't apply to items you have labeled, only unlabeled goods.

So in the story above We have to assume that the store is in Quebec and it participates. Now there is a sign that says "All drapes in rack $5" or something to that nature. If that were the case lady is in the right. This is the claim customer is making, the claim the cashier is making is that the drapes are not in fact in that rack, are in another rack with either a sign saying "All drapes in this rack $15" or were individually tagged with $15 and that the tags wither still exist (which by the law cited means they overwrite the sign that was not intended for them) or the tags were removed, whether by the customer or some other ne'er do well.

The law is pretty toothless because you could always claim the item was on a differently priced table, or was tagged but the tag was removed.

edit : ugh, new page same stupid derails. Here's some STDH for a contribution, "One day Lap-Lem made a worthwhile post, everyone stood up and clapped."

double dog edit : VVVVV I didn't mean to come off as if I was attacking you. Nor do I know anything about store operations in Quebec. I just like to argue about dumb things in the made up stories thread.

Lap-Lem has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lap-Lem posted:

You presented that really dishonestly.

Nah, I presented that like someone who didn't give nearly as much of a poo poo about it than you do, obviously. Dishonnesty kind of implies an ulterior motive.

Most stores choose to participate, in my experience - Grocery stores, big box retailers and so on. Not a whole lot of people take time to individually label items in the store, they just slap a sign on the shelf or bin. Whether or not it would have applied in the story is up in the air, but I could see it going either way depending on the actual circumstances.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

St Evan Echoes posted:

:words: about heroic British troops, wearing red etc.

I live in London and it's not at all uncommon to see soldiers in uniform catching trains at the main stations. What is uncommon is to see anyone making a big deal of this, because we aren't a nation of utter dipshits.

Honestly, gently caress this "ostentatious patriotism" stuff. It's the reverse of what I think of as traditional British values.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

General Panic posted:

Honestly, gently caress this "ostentatious patriotism" stuff. It's the reverse of what I think of as traditional British values.

Silently and smugly assuming we're better than everyone else because we're British and they're not? :v:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Fathis Munk posted:

Seriously, it's a loving ceremony, if it's that important to them just get it over with.

You're hating too hard against the mean atheists here.

It's his wedding that he's paying for. He can do the ceremony however he likes and that is perfectly just and fair. If the parents were paying for it, that'd be different, but he is.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Fuego Fish posted:

Silently and smugly assuming we're better than everyone else because we're British and they're not? :v:

Why would we need to assume?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

quote:

(I am on break and heading towards the restroom, when a customer asks me to take his order. Seeing that it’s busy, and assuming that the customer has been waiting for some time, I step up to the spare till that the managers all share. All of my on-duty coworkers are either Hispanic or African American.)

Me: “Sorry about the wait. What can I get for you today?”

Customer: “Number four, medium, with an iced tea to drink. I’m glad you finally came out of the kitchen. I thought I’d never get to order.”

Me: “I’m sorry again about your wait. We’ve been a little understaffed all day.”

Customer: “So, that must be why you were doing the Mexican’s work.”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Customer: “The kitchen, the kitchen! I guess all these n****** who can’t take an order right needed someone back there who speaks English to fix everything. They need to hire more white folks like you to work here.”

Me: “Sir, I would appreciate it if you refrain from making such offensive remarks.”

Customer: “Aw, c’mon. No need to cater to them. Just between us, you think whites are the best race, right?”

Me: “Just between us?”

(I beckon the customer closer, then speak loudly enough for the entire restaurant to hear.)

Me: “If you spout any more of this racist bull-s***, I will not hesitate to kick you out.”

Customer: “But you’re white!”

Me: “Not that it matters, but I’m half Native-American.”

Customer: “You don’t look it. If that’s true, what’s your ‘Injun’ name?”

Me: “In my tribe, I am called ‘Ejects-Bigoted-A**-hole-From-Premises’. Now kindly get the f*** out.”

quote:

Just between us, you think whites are the best race, right?
:allears:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

"just between you and me, Hitler was a pretty swell guy, right?"

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Is it seriously that hard to write dialogue that is even semi-believable?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Had a STDH-esque experience tonight. I was on the subway, this woman was being a total bitch because some dude's backpack touched her. This other guy was laying some decent burns down on her. The general vibe in the car was that he was a funny guy, people were on his side. It wouldn't look good in dialogue form because there were no "stunned silence" bon mots, just "you had to be there" level stuff and maybe some jokes about Puerto Ricans. At one point like 3-4 people clapped (out of an entire rush hour crowded NYC subway car). NAR writers, take note, this is how confrontations go down in real life.

Oh I mean, uh, that straphanger was... Bill Gates!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Mister Roboto posted:

You're hating too hard against the mean atheists here.

It's his wedding that he's paying for. He can do the ceremony however he likes and that is perfectly just and fair. If the parents were paying for it, that'd be different, but he is.

In hindsight yes in this situation that was indeed not really appropriate. It's just that the ~hardcore-atheists~ somehow tend to really get on my nerves by their absolute refusal to get even near anything remotely religious as if it's going to destroy their atheist street cred.

He's perfectly in his right to do it that way but if it's that important to these people. I don't know, maybe it's just that I'm more of an agnostic myself and definitely don't have that hatred of religion that some atheists seem to have, which pretty much mirrors the hatred of atheists that some religious people have.

Bold Robot posted:

At one point like 3-4 people clapped (out of an entire rush hour crowded NYC subway car).

So there are actually actual people clapping ? I've never seen that happen and so always assumed that this was a STDH™ quality mark.

slacjs
Feb 27, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

So there are actually actual people clapping ? I've never seen that happen and so always assumed that this was a STDH™ quality mark.
People clapped for me once. We moved the office to a different room in the building at my job and someone decided to use the old broken router in the new one. I came to work and changed it to one which worked and everyone in the room clapped and someone called me a genius.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

I really expected a bon mot at the end of this one, but it still didn't happen

e: cropped image a bit

NoUU has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Jun 13, 2013

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Blast Fantasto posted:

Are you guys serious? "In my opinion, all Americans are loud because of science" is a loving step to the left of "in my opinion all French people smell bad because science" or "all British people have bad teeth because science."

They're all stupid xenophobic stereotypes.

Americans are bloody loud. Like, all the time.

Telemarchitect
Oct 1, 2009

TOUCH THE KNOB

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fathis Munk posted:

It happened, but I wanna emphasize that there were probably 150 people on this subway car, it was a pretty funny situation, and you could count the number clapping on one hand. If anything, I think this situation actually argues against "the whole room applauded" STDH.

I gotta hurry! She's in stable condition and doesn't expect me at any particular time!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Bold Robot posted:

I gotta hurry! She's in stable condition and doesn't expect me at any particular time!

Yeah, Alzheimer really isn't the most pressing disease.

But he was right on one point, he's going to hell for his inability to make believable STDH.txt :colbert:

I also love how they apparently quarantine all Alzheimer patients in the same place in this hospital and'll gladly tell that to anyone waltzing in with a cop in tow without even asking why they'd want to know that.

There are just some of these with such gaping plotholes that you have to wonder why the hell the author did not realize it himself.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

Fathis Munk posted:

There are just some of these with such gaping plotholes that you have to wonder why the hell the author did not realize it himself.

Because he really is 16 (as most of you know)

Also, this was just reposted on my FB with rounds of applauds by my mouth-breathing self-propsed 'feminists' friends:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The stories where everyone applauds an unprovoked act of violence are my favourites.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Retter posted:

Is it seriously that hard to write dialogue that is even semi-believable?
http://www.mediaite.com/online/florida-woman-ruins-life-with-racist-video-rant-about-sand-ngger-dunkin-donuts-employee/

Not that the other story is legit, but it's amazing how horrible people really can be towards fast food workers. I wouldn't have believed the above story happened unless I saw the video.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Does anyone else picture the parentheses indicating the writer turning to the audience and delivering those specific lines behind a cupped hand, and with a raised eyebrow? When every line of your story has its own aside, you might want to reconsider your writing style.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Leon Einstein posted:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/florida-woman-ruins-life-with-racist-video-rant-about-sand-ngger-dunkin-donuts-employee/

Not that the other story is legit, but it's amazing how horrible people really can be towards fast food workers. I wouldn't have believed the above story happened unless I saw the video.

I'm not entirely sure how someone lacks the self awareness to post a video online of them calling someone a sand friend of the family and think that the internet's going to be on their side.

When she tries to talk to that guy that video's definitely a candidate for PYF Awkward because he's just standing there trying to engage her as little as possible and she insists on going on and on.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Djeser posted:

I'm not entirely sure how someone lacks the self awareness to post a video online of them calling someone a sand friend of the family and think that the internet's going to be on their side.

I think it's less a lack of self-awareness and more a firmly-held belief that lots of people secretly agree with them, and that their views aren't a minority or decreasing in popularity, just that the people who agree with them have been forced underground. A lot of people with reprehensible views believe in the Silent Majority.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Yeah, I've actually had a few awkward moments where people have assumed we share a kind of white person camaraderie. Once, when I was waiting tables in a somewhat upscale restaurant, a white couple I'd served made an express point of walking up to me and putting my tip in my hand, as they wanted to make sure nobody stole it. While explaining this to me, they kept looking over at the black family who had been sitting next to them, then back at me in a wink-wink-nudge-nudge kind of way. I didn't call them out or anything, of course, just kind of fake smiled and said goodbye through gritted teeth.

I volunteer at an art museum selling tickets and memberships. My boss, who has worked there for years, is black. After every shift, my sales are nearly double his, due to some older white people actually preferring to stand in a line for the privilege of buying a ticket from a fellow white person rather than letting a black person touch their credit card. Pretty disgusting stuff.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I think it's less a lack of self-awareness and more a firmly-held belief that lots of people secretly agree with them, and that their views aren't a minority or decreasing in popularity, just that the people who agree with them have been forced underground. A lot of people with reprehensible views believe in the Silent Majority.

If you only read comments on the internet, like the comments on that very story, I can see how you'd think everyone would be on your side.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

grady posted:

Because he really is 16 (as most of you know)

Also, this was just reposted on my FB with rounds of applauds by my mouth-breathing self-propsed 'feminists' friends:

Does slow clapping mean something different in the US? In the UK it's sarcastic.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Puntification posted:

Does slow clapping mean something different in the US? In the UK it's sarcastic.

In the context of these stories it refers to somebody starting to slowly clap and then being joined by the others until there is a full-blown applause.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Puntification posted:

In this context, it's supposed to describe how the class was so awe-struck they took a while to "recover" before applauding as the amazement gave way to joyous support or something stupid like that.

e:fb. kind of.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Ah yeah I get it, thanks to you both. It works either way really, there's something quite fitting if the crowd were not actually impressed and in fact sarcastically mocking the stdh-storyteller's fantasy triumph.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Puntification posted:

It's supposed to look like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlRnAa1NtBc

But in real life it looks like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KpoqynjV1g&t=136s

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

This has almost 100,000 notes.

It's a sweet story but, god

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Retter posted:

It's glurge but at least it's quick and to the point and manages to be more charming than sickly saccharine like the OUR BLOOD RUNS RED USA NUM-- UH I MEAN UK NUMBER ONE

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

Retter posted:

aw yiss, right in the feels

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Pretty soon their garden's gonna run out of flowers and grampa will be wooing granny with clumps of sod.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I went out to eat last night with my wife and we went to a nice restaurant. Its a small dining area and tables are only about 2 feet or so from each other so if people are next to you, you are going to pick up on bits of their conversation. 2 men were seated next to us and in the span of about 20 minutes, I learned the exploits of one of the men:

(in no particular order)
1. Had met 4 presidents
2. Dropped out of high school at 15 to start working
3. Got his GED at 17 while working full-time
4. Did community college on-line and got his associates on-line at 21
5. Was offered some job at 22 paying 150,000 dollars a year but that "wasn't even worth my time I mean I need to be paid fairly for my skills"
6. Been married three times. First wife was daughter of some millionaire and current 3rd wife is always traveling the world as some consultant to all the big companies
7. Has taken his kids to greece, turkey, israel, russia, australia, hawaii, spain, france and other places for vacations. His plan is to visit "everywhere" on the planet. (he didn't get more specific than "everywhere"
8. Was gonna go to London this year but his accountant messed up and now "I owe 18,000 in backtaxes which isn't gonna bother me but it throws off our trip"
9. I live in San Antonio and this guy was at the finals game 3 and was right behind the Heat bench. He was with a bunch of corporate high-rollers from Nike, Pepsi and other billion dollar companies. He started trash-talking the Heat with gems such as "hey Birdman, why don't you get a tattoo that says 'loser' cuz y'all are losing!" and "hey Riley, wish you were with the Spurs right now!". The millionaires, the people behind him and even the refs and some of the players were ROLLING with the sick burns this guy was laying down! "I mean, the refs and players have to be impartial but you could still tell they wanted to bust out laughin!"
10. Bet the guy from Nike 100,000 dollars (something something) Lebron James' shoe design.

I swear all of this is true, and by that I mean he did say these things not that they happened.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Some people just don't know that sometimes for a story to be believable, you have to show some restraint.

I really hope the sweet burns are actual quotes because that would mean he actually thinks those are great and could not come up with better ones. :allears:

(And the whole holiday part might be true, I mean I've visited more or less the same amount of countries. If he lives in Europe for example where the countries are way small and thus it's easier to reach different countries it's totally possible.)

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

oldpainless posted:

STDH bragging
I did this in middle school when I felt lonely. I'd make up stories like how I was secretly a werewolf or a dragon, and I half-convinced one of my friends once. It was really just cause I wanted people to pay attention to me.

What I'm saying is I wish people would brag about being mythical beasts

e: oh wait never mind I just remembered tumblr :smith:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Djeser posted:

I did this in middle school when I felt lonely. I'd make up stories like how I was secretly a werewolf or a dragon, and I half-convinced one of my friends once. It was really just cause I wanted people to pay attention to me.

What I'm saying is I wish people would brag about being mythical beasts

e: oh wait never mind I just remembered tumblr :smith:

Hell, man, we all did that. I used to tell my friends I was secretly Superman and ran around with a cape in grade 4.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

oldpainless posted:

I went out to eat last night with my wife and we went to a nice restaurant. Its a small dining area and tables are only about 2 feet or so from each other so if people are next to you, you are going to pick up on bits of their conversation. 2 men were seated next to us and in the span of about 20 minutes, I learned the exploits of one of the men:

(in no particular order)
1. Had met 4 presidents
2. Dropped out of high school at 15 to start working
3. Got his GED at 17 while working full-time
4. Did community college on-line and got his associates on-line at 21
5. Was offered some job at 22 paying 150,000 dollars a year but that "wasn't even worth my time I mean I need to be paid fairly for my skills"
6. Been married three times. First wife was daughter of some millionaire and current 3rd wife is always traveling the world as some consultant to all the big companies
7. Has taken his kids to greece, turkey, israel, russia, australia, hawaii, spain, france and other places for vacations. His plan is to visit "everywhere" on the planet. (he didn't get more specific than "everywhere"
8. Was gonna go to London this year but his accountant messed up and now "I owe 18,000 in backtaxes which isn't gonna bother me but it throws off our trip"
9. I live in San Antonio and this guy was at the finals game 3 and was right behind the Heat bench. He was with a bunch of corporate high-rollers from Nike, Pepsi and other billion dollar companies. He started trash-talking the Heat with gems such as "hey Birdman, why don't you get a tattoo that says 'loser' cuz y'all are losing!" and "hey Riley, wish you were with the Spurs right now!". The millionaires, the people behind him and even the refs and some of the players were ROLLING with the sick burns this guy was laying down! "I mean, the refs and players have to be impartial but you could still tell they wanted to bust out laughin!"
10. Bet the guy from Nike 100,000 dollars (something something) Lebron James' shoe design.

I swear all of this is true, and by that I mean he did say these things not that they happened.

I am curious how the other guy reacted. I always get so uncomfortable when someone is lying through their teeth but I am too awkward to call them on it. I always end up pretending to be impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fathis Munk posted:

I really hope the sweet burns are actual quotes because that would mean he actually thinks those are great and could not come up with better ones. :allears:

Yes, whatever I put in quotes is what he actually said, maybe off by a word.

• Locked thread