Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Sukhoi PAK FA seems to be going well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
They had some structural cracking issues IIRC but just slapped some more strengthening material on it.

1.44/1.42 was probably just a sop to MiG in the end though and why the Su-47 was built I'll never quite understand, so calling Russian efforts towards a new large fighter an unqualified success might not be entirely true.

e: come to think of it, there's been some kind of jojo effect going on in USSR/Soviet plane development: MiG-21 hit, MiG-23 miss, MiG-29/Su-27 hit, 90s projects miss, PAK FA...

Koesj fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 11, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Koesj posted:

why the Su-47 was built I'll never quite understand

Because it looks ridiculously cool?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

NightGyr posted:

Was there any trouble with the F/A-18 or the Super Hornet? As far as I know, they never ran into major snags or cost overruns.

The Hornet, the Viper, and the Eagle were relatively drama free, other than the spat between McD and Northrop about selling land based Hornets. There were a few minor teething hiccups, like engine issues (of note, the Viper unfortunately only has one), but nothing on the scope of the F-35 or even the TF30 debacle with the F-14. Speaking of the Viper, it's still in production, with LockMart saying they've got enough orders to keep the lines open through 2017 and more pending.

That is a pretty staggering production run for a US fighter jet...4,500 airframes and counting over a 35 year period. Believe that is second in overall numbers only to the mighty Phantom and is the longest as far as years in operation.

Also speaking of the Super Bug, I think it's safe to say that between this and the Silent Eagle Boeing is smelling blood in the water.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There was talk of Canada dropping out of the F-35 program and buying Super Hornets a while back too, I don't know how serious that was and where that went though. I'm not a pilot, but I wouldn't be too keen to fly a single engine fighter over the Arctic.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Because it looks ridiculously cool?

It was built for Ace Combat.

iyaayas01 posted:

The Hornet, the Viper, and the Eagle were relatively drama free, other than the spat between McD and Northrop about selling land based Hornets. There were a few minor teething hiccups, like engine issues (of note, the Viper unfortunately only has one), but nothing on the scope of the F-35 or even the TF30 debacle with the F-14. Speaking of the Viper, it's still in production, with LockMart saying they've got enough orders to keep the lines open through 2017 and more pending.

That is a pretty staggering production run for a US fighter jet...4,500 airframes and counting over a 35 year period. Believe that is second in overall numbers only to the mighty Phantom and is the longest as far as years in operation.

Also speaking of the Super Bug, I think it's safe to say that between this and the Silent Eagle Boeing is smelling blood in the water.

I suppose the Internet these days makes it a lot easier for public opinions/voices to be heard regarding defence programmes, though I don't think anyone gives a poo poo what the public thinks aside from being able to wrangle a subcontract/assembly for a district and saying "Look, we created jobs!".

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FrozenVent posted:

There was talk of Canada dropping out of the F-35 program and buying Super Hornets a while back too, I don't know how serious that was and where that went though. I'm not a pilot, but I wouldn't be too keen to fly a single engine fighter over the Arctic.

I saw a good proposal that Canada gets a bunch of F/A-18Fs and Gs to replace the current fleet along with a bunch of EA-18G Growlers because that would be something we could provide to NATO taskforces etc since that type of radar suppression aircraft are in pretty high demand. Even the F/A-18Gs could come prewired for conversion to EA-18G at a minimal extra cost.

http://casr.ca/mp-northern-growler-daly.htm

Probably won't happen though because it's too drat sensible.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

I saw a good proposal that Canada gets a bunch of F/A-18Fs and Gs to replace the current fleet along with a bunch of EA-18G Growlers because that would be something we could provide to NATO taskforces etc since that type of radar suppression aircraft are in pretty high demand. Even the F/A-18Gs could come prewired for conversion to EA-18G at a minimal extra cost.

Let's offer to start making chunks of the jet in Canada :haw: Right now they are assembled in...St. Louis?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

movax posted:

Let's offer to start making chunks of the jet in Canada :haw: Right now they are assembled in...St. Louis?

Obligatory :canada:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

iyaayas01 posted:

The Hornet, Viper and Eagle are Air Force planes, not Navy. In the Jet Age the Air Force has had a steady stream of successes and not too many flops, at least in the smaller combat airframes. For whatever reason, the Navy has been way worse, and getting tangled with the AF has sometimes helped (FJ, F-4, F-18) and sometimes not (F-111, F-35.) Sure, the carrier platform introduces extra complications but this feels like a procurement and management problem, not an engineering one. I before used the example of the F7U; that plane just outright sucked, but we still built 13 squadrons of the fuckers. I can't think of any USAF equivalent that just straight up couldn't do it's job like that (the F-102 I guess underperformed but I don't see it as that bad.)

The F-16 and F-18 are solid enough airframes to function essentially forever as sensor platforms / missile and bomb trucks. Other, cheaper air forces are doing essentially the same thing with poo poo as old as MiG-21s. The F-18 always seems to have that feel of "It's not really what we want, but it's what's there, and it's what we can afford"; it's not the high-performance long-range interceptor the Navy wanted/needed to replace the F-14, and it'll never be a day 0 doorknocker like the F-22. The F-35 isn't either of those either, of course.

E:

movax posted:

I suppose the Internet these days makes it a lot easier for public opinions/voices to be heard regarding defence programmes, though I don't think anyone gives a poo poo what the public thinks aside from being able to wrangle a subcontract/assembly for a district and saying "Look, we created jobs!".

The LCS program has a lot of high-ranking people haveing to come public and try to justify it (one recent and pathetic example here, that's one program I don't think would've gotten anywhere near the level of heat in the pre-internet armchair commando era. Whether it'll actually affect the number of hulls built, ehhhh.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 11, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

movax posted:

Bombardier Hornets - Bomb-Hos?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

movax posted:

I think the F-5/T-38 were pretty painless programs, IIRC.
Completely unambitious though. Also not naval.

NightGyr posted:

Was there any trouble with the F/A-18 or the Super Hornet? As far as I know, they never ran into major snags or cost overruns.
Someone is going to yell "BUDDY STORES" but the superbug still has supershort legs.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 11, 2013

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Phanatic posted:

The air campaign in Europe was certainly not insignificant, but Stalingrad had already been turned by the time the first US bombs fell on Germany.

German troops entered Stalingrad in late 1942. British bombers had been bombing German industry/infrastructure since 1939, opening restrictions in 1940. American heavy bombing efforts from England started in mid 1942.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 11, 2013

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Sukhoi PAK FA seems to be going well.

The PAK FA is a much more conservative design, actually more akin to the standard F-35A than it is to the F-22. Imagine an F-35 scaled up and using a good set of current-gen avionics to cut costs/issues and you've got the PAK-FA.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Warbadger posted:

German troops entered Stalingrad in late 1942. British bombers had been bombing German industry/infrastructure since 1939, opening restrictions in 1940. American heavy bombing efforts from England started in mid 1942.

The first American bombing raid on Germany was against wilhelmshaven in early 1943.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Phanatic posted:

The first American bombing raid on Germany was against wilhelmshaven in early 1943.

Not all German industry was located in Germany. Point being that the UK had been bombing the poo poo out of German targets for years (including major raids over Germany itself) and the US had been hitting German industrial and military targets in occupied Europe for months (though not inside German borders) before Stalingrad saw a single German soldier. Trying to say that the bombing campaign was just a sideshow because *gasp* the bombers of one of several major allied powers hadn't fallen inside the area of the map labelled "Germany" yet is silly.

Even more silly when you consider that the guy actually running the German military industry claimed the bombing efforts were pretty drat effective, they were unable to come close to their intended production goals (which even attempted to account for the bombing), and the increase in production of German wartime industry is laughable when you consider that during the 1942-1944 period they transitioned from single shift to triple shift 24/7 operation of defense-oriented factories.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 11, 2013

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

Wow, this is a good idea. The major flaw in it is that it revolves around "buying useful replacement planes for the RCAF" and not "baksheesh for the federal government" so it will never appear on the Fed's radar. Unlike stealth planes?

Also: read this and weep.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phanatic posted:

True, but the first American bombing missions over occupied Europe were flown in August 1942. As an illustration that the USAAF was already operating in force over Europe at the end of 1942, six of the Memphis Belle's crew's twenty-five missions took place in the winter of 1942.

Just because they weren't hitting German soil doesn't mean they weren't attacking the German war effort. Nazi Germany was a parasite that kept itself in large part by stealing the output of the occupied countries, France in particular.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 11, 2013

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Warbadger posted:

The PAK FA is a much more conservative design, actually more akin to the standard F-35A than it is to the F-22. Imagine an F-35 scaled up and using a good set of current-gen avionics to cut costs/issues and you've got the PAK-FA.

At least the Russians can make a HMS for the PAK-FA that works :haw:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Xerxes17 posted:

At least the Russians can make a HMS for the PAK-FA that works :haw:

Honestly the Pak-FA has had its share of issues, too. It had serious engine trouble for a 3 year period ending in 2009 and half the systems (including the engines) are slated to be replaced already because they couldn't reach their performance goals with the existing equipment. The big difference is that they didn't have to shoehorn a goddamn VTOL engine into the airframe and (less importantly) they aren't being particularly ambitious with the electronics so while they won't originally fly with a bunch of new capabilities they also will avoid the inevitable teething problems.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
How did the A-10 do in development?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Scratch Monkey posted:

How did the A-10 do in development?

I think the only real problem with the A-10 was that the Air Force fighter pilot mafia didn't want to buy it.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Is the T-80 still the MBT of the Russian military or were they finally able to migrate over to the T90 or something else?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Oxford Comma posted:

Is the T-80 still the MBT of the Russian military or were they finally able to migrate over to the T90 or something else?

The T-80 is still the most numerous quality model in Russian service. The Russians have about a thousand T-90s in service and are holding off on further purchases because they want the T-99 project instead. The T-90 is pretty much a stopgap/export tank, which isn't really surprising given that it's a modernized T-72B.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 12, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

True, but the first American bombing missions over occupied Europe were flown in August 1942. As an illustration that the USAAF was already operating in force over Europe at the end of 1942, six of the Memphis Belle's crew's twenty-five missions took place in the winter of 1942.

Just because they weren't hitting German soil doesn't mean they weren't attacking the German war effort. Nazi Germany was a parasite that kept itself in large part by stealing the output of the occupied countries, France in particular.

The problem was that for the most part they were hitting German soil. Literally.

The actual strategic bombing offensive (ie. the one that was more than merely irritating to the Germans on a local level) started in earnest in mid 1943.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Hornet, Viper and Eagle are Air Force planes, not Navy. In the Jet Age the Air Force has had a steady stream of successes and not too many flops, at least in the smaller combat airframes. For whatever reason, the Navy has been way worse, and getting tangled with the AF has sometimes helped (FJ, F-4, F-18) and sometimes not (F-111, F-35.) Sure, the carrier platform introduces extra complications but this feels like a procurement and management problem, not an engineering one. I before used the example of the F7U; that plane just outright sucked, but we still built 13 squadrons of the fuckers. I can't think of any USAF equivalent that just straight up couldn't do it's job like that (the F-102 I guess underperformed but I don't see it as that bad.)

The F-16 and F-18 are solid enough airframes to function essentially forever as sensor platforms / missile and bomb trucks. Other, cheaper air forces are doing essentially the same thing with poo poo as old as MiG-21s. The F-18 always seems to have that feel of "It's not really what we want, but it's what's there, and it's what we can afford"; it's not the high-performance long-range interceptor the Navy wanted/needed to replace the F-14, and it'll never be a day 0 doorknocker like the F-22. The F-35 isn't either of those either, of course.

F-4 was a navy plane that was forced on a USAF that didn't want it (until TAC did a demo where they hung a shitload of Mk 82s on a Phantom and then looked at a F-102 and went ".....poo poo.") But your larger point stands, and I missed the original bit focusing in on naval aviation specifically.

As for the Super Bug, there's something to be said for getting iron on the ramp (or boat) in quantities to do some good, now, with money left over to spend on other things (like sensor upgrades and munitions and poo poo) as opposed to blowing your entire budget and then some on supposedly world-beating underperforming vaporware. But very valid point about it's short legs...as was pointed out a few pages ago in that excellent piece on maritime combat, those short legs are changing the face of the USN's Carrier Strike Groups, and not in a good way.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

iyaayas01 posted:

F-4 was a navy plane that was forced on a USAF that didn't want it (until TAC did a demo where they hung a shitload of Mk 82s on a Phantom and then looked at a F-102 and went ".....poo poo.") But your larger point stands, and I missed the original bit focusing in on naval aviation specifically.

As for the Super Bug, there's something to be said for getting iron on the ramp (or boat) in quantities to do some good, now, with money left over to spend on other things (like sensor upgrades and munitions and poo poo) as opposed to blowing your entire budget and then some on supposedly world-beating underperforming vaporware. But very valid point about it's short legs...as was pointed out a few pages ago in that excellent piece on maritime combat, those short legs are changing the face of the USN's Carrier Strike Groups, and not in a good way.

I had thought the Super Bug was deliberately designed larger so that I had longer legs than the older F-18s? I assume it can't match what the F-14 had but it was a big improvement over the A/B/C/D models no?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Zhanism posted:

I had thought the Super Bug was deliberately designed larger so that I had longer legs than the older F-18s? I assume it can't match what the F-14 had but it was a big improvement over the A/B/C/D models no?

Combat range for both flavors of F-18 is about 400 nm, about 500 for the F-14.
I though the legs problem for the fleet was that as refuelers, F-18's have really short legs compared to the S-3 Viking.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The extra range of the F-14 plus the (highly theoretical) extra range of the Phoenix could be the difference between a (highly theoretical) incoming bomber force getting into cruise missile range or not.

Longer legs also means more endurance, which is a factor in maintaining CAP with fewer big decks that can only sortie x planes per day.

But the range issue is less of a problem as a fighter and more as a strike aircraft, compared to the A-6 (1000nm strike radius) and A-7 (700nm radius.) That's the difference between putting your CVBG in shore-based cruise missile range and not, and matters a helluva lot in the Pacific. Be aware the Hornet and F-35's range numbers are often quoted with air-air loadouts, not bombs.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Obviously the USN needs to take a page from the Russians and build missile bays into the next generation of carriers.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Actually we should bring back diesel carriers and Skyraiders and use them for about 60% of what we've been using carriers for, intimidation and bombing areas with no AA capability.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

LP97S posted:

Actually we should bring back diesel carriers and Skyraiders and use them for about 60% of what we've been using carriers for, intimidation and bombing areas with no AA capability.

We should bring back aircraft made of spit and bamboo and have italian aristocrats to chuck grenades out of them.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Vindolanda posted:

We should bring back aircraft made of spit and bamboo and have italian aristocrats to chuck grenades out of them.

With how expensive fuel is going to get you might be surprised.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Snowdens Secret posted:

But the range issue is less of a problem as a fighter and more as a strike aircraft, compared to the A-6 (1000nm strike radius) and A-7 (700nm radius.)

I have always had the biggest hard-on for Intruders. Getting to do work on EA-6B projects right off the bat as an intern while I was in grad school was the coolest thing.

Is the historical perspective on those things positive or negative?

Also, re: light aircraft, where is USAF going with it's prop-driven light attack aircraft stuff and is it a good idea? I got so pumped when people in the office started talking about Super Tucanos being serious-use aircraft, but it never seemed to go anywhere and I lost visibility when my internship ended.

Kennebago fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 13, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What does the super Tucano do that the F35 doesn't?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Throatwarbler posted:

Get out of LRIP successfully?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

Not kill it's pilots?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Throatwarbler posted:

Cost less is pretty much the big thing. You don't really cross shop the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Throatwarbler posted:

Loiter.

For CAS and COIN, the ability to be low and slow, and actually look for targets, is a huge advantage. That's why, every time you hear someone say that the F-35 is going to replace the A-10, I encourage you to LAUGH IN THEIR FACES.