Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Thwomp posted:

I'll listen to podcasts through the Podcast app in the morning. I'll not listen to anything else during work. When I'm commuting home and double-tap to bring up the audio controls (or connect via bluetooth to my car's audio), iOS will often just pull up the first piece of music I've got in my music library instead of the last thing I listened to this morning.

It's loving annoying that if it isn't playing through the Music.app then iOS just tells it to gently caress off after some point.
I hate this, a million times. I want to just double click home and hit play and resume my podcast, too many times it either randomly picks a podcast I haven't listened too in weeks, or some bit of music that happens to sort to the top. I can't tell if any of this is fixed in iOS 7 since the podcast app won't actually play podcasts on the device I updated. - just hangs -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah I've learned to just bring up podcasts.app before I hop in the car. Then if I hit now playing the vast majority of the time it remembers what I was listening to.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm sure it will improve, but the graphical (and SUPER PIXELLATED) icons referencing my iMac's Safari Bookmarks Bar items when I go into iPhone Safari and make the omnibar active are really hideous. Neat idea, but hideous right now...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Small thing but I like the inclusion of the ETA on the map.app lockscreen overlay.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whatever the gently caress is going on at the top/status bar looks rough and totally not good looking at all.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Whatever the gently caress is going on at the top/status bar looks rough and totally not good looking at all.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Turn-by-turn's layout is actually pretty broken right now. UI elements frequently overlap each other.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

benisntfunny posted:

Of course they won't change anything. Look at the maps icon from ios6 that everyone bitched about but Apple did nothing.

I'm the one person in the world outside of Apple that likes the new iOS7 icons. I agree with the complaints about different icons having different gradient directions, but as a whole I'm liking the retro-modern styles of the icons such as newstand. No I am not blind.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No, I like the icons too. I haven't installed the beta yet though (and probably won't, since I kind of need a known-working phone right now) so maybe they lose something once you actually start to look at them every day. Dunno.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

The Music app is really annoying. My iTunes match playlists don't have a "Download all" option and attempting to hit the download button for each individual song only works sometimes. The touch area seems to be messed up if the song title is long enough to go to the edge of the screen.

Also, the radio plays ads even though I have match.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BiohazrD posted:

The Music app is really annoying. My iTunes match playlists don't have a "Download all" option and attempting to hit the download button for each individual song only works sometimes. The touch area seems to be messed up if the song title is long enough to go to the edge of the screen.

Also, the radio plays ads even though I have match.

The radio stuff isn't done yet. I'm actually surprised they have it in this early beta.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

The radio stuff isn't done yet. I'm actually surprised they have it in this early beta.

Oh absolutely. I'm not complaining since they just got the deals signed less than a week ago. Just kind of pointing out weird things that I'm noticing before I file a bunch of bug reports.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Dogen posted:

Yeah I've learned to just bring up podcasts.app before I hop in the car. Then if I hit now playing the vast majority of the time it remembers what I was listening to.

I've just never downloaded the podcasts.app and just have a playlist that iTunes populates for me with podcasts.

(I'll probably catch poo poo for this but whatever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use Instacast. I tried Podcasts.ipa a couple times but it wasn't as good. That said, Instacast has gotten buggy and I might try Downcast.

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012
No more Voice Memos app in Beta 1 is what made me switch back to iOS 6. Not sure if it's coming back or not.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Is the ability to connect to available Wifi networks completely broken for everyone else too? The Select a Network thingy pops up but never has options, despite seeing 8 available Wifi networks on my other phone with iOS6

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
The buttons in the phone app, specifically mute, are far too subtle when pressed now. There's just a little tiny grey box that goes around the mute text, with sunglasses on it was indistinguishable from the black background. Constantly had me concerned during my conference call yesterday.

Guess I have to submit that one as "feature enhancement"

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So, uh, I guess I'll make an iOS 7 beta thread because this is getting really old.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there any reason why there's no real FM radio functionality for iPhone? I know there's I Heart Radio and tons of individual station apps, but occasionally I wish I had a straight-up radio handy. Seems odd that my old cassette walkman can still do something that my iPhone can't.

I'm assuming there's some kind of weird legality to it, or that Apple specifically doesn't want it because they feel the user experience would be too muddy and fragmented? Is there no way to do it without it being a huge battery killer? I don't know, I feel like even some sort of virtual tuner that remotely streams off some kind of server should be possible, but I suppose the aforementioned legal concerns could be a problem with advertising and music licensing and such.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Minidust posted:

Is there any reason why there's no real FM radio functionality for iPhone? I know there's I Heart Radio and tons of individual station apps, but occasionally I wish I had a straight-up radio handy. Seems odd that my old cassette walkman can still do something that my iPhone can't.

I'm assuming there's some kind of weird legality to it, or that Apple specifically doesn't want it because they feel the user experience would be too muddy and fragmented? Is there no way to do it without it being a huge battery killer? I don't know, I feel like even some sort of virtual tuner that remotely streams off some kind of server should be possible, but I suppose the aforementioned legal concerns could be a problem with advertising and music licensing and such.

Probably any place they'd put an FM antenna is space they could use for better cellular or wifi or bluetooth reception

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

So, uh, I guess I'll make an iOS 7 beta thread because this is getting really old.

I'm down for this.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

That's the spirit! A place for all us assholes to go jerk each other off about the new OS without backlash. Thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

iOS 7 thread is up.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
I just went to give my son his Iphone 5 back after a few days of sitting on a shelf because he needed an "attitude adjustment". The battery had of course ran down, but now it has charged for 8 hours (across two different apple wall chargers, two different cables, and a third cable on the PC) and it still won't power on. Do these things just die and not come back like this? We've had plenty of iphones in the house over the years (3G,4,5) never had any issues at all. I've also tried the home/power reset trick, mute toggle, everything else I can think of.
Is a trip to the Genius bar the only thing I can look forward to?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Try holding both power and home until the apple logo comes up.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is there known to be a lot of quality variation with iPhone 5 displays? I got my phone swapped out on account of a broken power button, and the the screen on the replacement unit is atrocious. Like, really obvious screen-dooring, everything looks horrible and pixelated.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I just had mine switched out two days ago (the speakers ended up going on my phone, so stoked to have an alarm clock again!) and my new iphone 5 is noticeably heavier then my last. The buttons feel a lot more solid as well. My old home button was recessed compared to the screen, and the new one sits nearly exactly flush.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Minidust posted:

Is there any reason why there's no real FM radio functionality for iPhone?

It has nothing to do with licensing. They can't make any money off FM/AM radio which is directly against the whole mindset of the iTunes ecosystem.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Lazyhound posted:

Is there known to be a lot of quality variation with iPhone 5 displays? I got my phone swapped out on account of a broken power button, and the the screen on the replacement unit is atrocious. Like, really obvious screen-dooring, everything looks horrible and pixelated.

I'd bring it back. There might be variations in screen tint but nothing like what you're describing. I've certainly had my hardware brought to apple to fix one problem and walked out with another before so it's not impossible.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

SunknLiner posted:

I JUST upgraded from a 4 to a 5 because my screen shattered. I went with black, but given today's presentation I'm really regretting that decision. I've had the phone for a week. Think they'll let me swap it for a white one?
So, not only did AT&T let me swap the black phone for a white one, but I just realized that they unintentionally gave me an upgrade. The phone I swapped out was 32GB, but the phone they gave me was 64GB. Score!

SunknLiner fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 13, 2013

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

the_worm_ posted:

I just went to give my son his Iphone 5 back after a few days of sitting on a shelf because he needed an "attitude adjustment". The battery had of course ran down, but now it has charged for 8 hours (across two different apple wall chargers, two different cables, and a third cable on the PC) and it still won't power on. Do these things just die and not come back like this? We've had plenty of iphones in the house over the years (3G,4,5) never had any issues at all. I've also tried the home/power reset trick, mute toggle, everything else I can think of.
Is a trip to the Genius bar the only thing I can look forward to?

Does it get the charging icon when you plug it in? If not it sounds very similar to what mine was doing a few months ago, it just randomly started rebooting itself and after a day or so just stop turning on all together. Quick trip to an apple store and they informed me the logic board had gone out and swapped it out for a new one.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Any recommendations for a bluetooth speaker for the shower? Or a speaker with a line in? I've tried the iPhone on the bathroom counter, but the shower in the master bathroom is in its own little nook, and I can't hear podcasts even at maximum volume.

This is one I was looking at, but I'm not really looking to spend $100 if I don't have to: http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-ECOXGEAR-Waterproof-Bluetooth/dp/B005D91G38

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Sieg posted:

Any recommendations for a bluetooth speaker for the shower? Or a speaker with a line in? I've tried the iPhone on the bathroom counter, but the shower in the master bathroom is in its own little nook, and I can't hear podcasts even at maximum volume.

This is one I was looking at, but I'm not really looking to spend $100 if I don't have to: http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-ECOXGEAR-Waterproof-Bluetooth/dp/B005D91G38

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-Extreme-Waterproof-Portable/dp/B003H3JJZE/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_z ??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This one has decent reviews. I haven't used it myself, but I keep almost buying it: http://www.amazon.com/Hipe-Waterpro...=I377ZAES6CR719

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Not too keen on actually bringing the phone into the shower, and several reviews mention it is a really tight fit with the iPhone 5. Do you have this speaker/case?

Endless Mike posted:

This one has decent reviews. I haven't used it myself, but I keep almost buying it: http://www.amazon.com/Hipe-Waterpro...=I377ZAES6CR719

I had this one in my cart for a while, but even some of the 4 star reviews mention the charging port falling into the casing or that it stopped working after a month or two.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I finally took the plunge and got an iPhone. After a longtime Android user, most recently a Galaxy Nexus, I'm loving this thing right now. I still can't fathom that, with an iPhone, I can unplug the phone in the morning, and then be able to use it all day, and not have the battery die by 2 PM :aaa:

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
The sleep/wake button on my 5 no longer works, seems like a common issue (?) for which you can get a replacement phone. However, I also happen to have a cracked screen from a drop a couple months ago; I'm taking this in to the store next Thursday, what are my chances of getting a replacement without paying?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
How bad is the crack? Does it look like the phone has been dropped? If it does, they'll probably blame the crack and the sleep wake button on the drop.

However, you can take it in and the worst they can tell you is that you'll have to pay full on the replacement.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Very low I'd say. Only if the genius really takes pity on you.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The lock button has become a no questions asked replacement these days, but with the cracked screen you're looking at a paid swap.

EDIT: However, if you insist that the lock button issue happened before the cracked screen, you might be able to get it replaced for free. Apple's training material states that if warranty hardware failure happened before the damage, it is still covered, though I personally would be afraid to do a swap in that situation myself for fear that Apple would still charge my company for a full replacement.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Damnit, okay. Just a single crack running horizontally along the bottom third, not super obvious but it's noticeable. How much for a replacement in this case?

• Locked thread